Hmmm....

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Actually most of the south and yes our brethren in the Midwest 50 years ago.
There has to be some sort of history about this, a perspective on academic expectations for college football players over the decades. There has to be something out there.

Joe Namath was all set to go to Maryland but he didn’t hit the test scores he needed. Would that happen today? I think no way.

I’d love to read something about how the early superstars, Nevers, Grange, Gipp, got paid.

Last edited:

PSUFTG2

Jul 1, 2023
There has to be some sort of history about this, a perspective on academic expectations for college football players over the decades. There has to be something out there.
There is plenty out there - for people willing to see it. One can just start right at home, with PSU - or just about any other big $$ program.

Reactions: LionJim

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
I googled it….CFB viewership up 12% in 2023, NFL up 7%.
One year? Helluva' trend.

I'll give you a hand. College football viewership numbers in 2023 were the best they were since 2019. Whoopee!

BTW, I'm not interested in the NFL. You and others might be, but I'm not.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ironman2

Ludd

Oct 12, 2021

I'll give you a hand. College football viewership numbers in 2023 were the best they were since 2019. Whoopee!
That means it’s more popular with all these changes, not less. People will never stop watching it no matter what changes they make.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
That means it’s more popular with all these changes, not less. People will never stop watching it no matter what changes they make.
Which means that it was less popular in 2022, 2021 and 2020. than it was in 2019. Maybe you'd like to find numbers that stretch further back. Gonna guess you wouldn't.

Last edited:

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
I don’t care if it’s getting more popular like I don’t care if you buy msg Billy Joel tix. I’m sad the tradition is over

Reactions: ODShowtime

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
I don’t care if it’s getting more popular like I don’t care if you buy msg Billy Joel tix. I’m sad the tradition is over

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
So you’re saying Covid didn’t have an impact on college football viewership? Yeah, keep trying.
Sure it did. And if you look back further, you'll see the effect and the decline that had nothing to do with it. But stick with your one year analysis on a depressed base.

Countrylion

Oct 30, 2021

BTW, I'm not interested in the NFL. You and others might be, but I'm not.
College viewer ship continues to grow. Viewership is up 28% since 2019.

ChandlerPearce

Jan 23, 2022
As college athletics morph into minor league professional sports with the eventual dropping of academic requirements...no longer will the school loyalty be as large as it is today...you won't have PSU students competing against other schools....but rather players bought to represent the school same as the NFL teams representing a town. I do believe there will be a decline in game attendence....not sure how many people will drop $1000/weekend game without the school/alumni tradition/connection.

PSUFTG2

Jul 1, 2023
As college athletics morph into minor league professional sports with the eventual dropping of academic requirements...no longer will the school loyalty be as large as it is today...you won't have PSU students competing against other schools....but rather players bought to represent the school same as the NFL teams representing a town. I do believe there will be a decline in game attendence....not sure how many people will drop $1000/weekend game without the school/alumni tradition/connection.
NCAA Football attendance has been dropping for 20 years - an occasional blip up in a given year, but definitely a downward trend. This story is a year or so old - but the trends are long term (FWIW, IIRC, 2023 was an "up" year from the year before - but those have been infrequent) College football attendance declines for seventh straight season to lowest average since 1981 - CBSSports.com

TV watching is a much more nebulous thing to define - 1) the way the figures are calculated has changed over the years (probably inevitable w streaming, mini-networks, etc) and 2) with the change in number of slots (ie, wasn't that long ago that games were on Saturday - now its Saturday, Thursday, Friday, and even mid week) and 3) the near death of traditional over the air - and even some cable - networks (and the need for live programming vav advertising)

The one certainty is that times are changing. Where they end up? Who knows?

Reactions: ChandlerPearce

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
NCAA Football attendance has been dropping for 20 years - an occasional blip up in a given year, but definitely a downward trend. This story is a year or so old - but the trends are long term (FWIW, IIRC, 2023 was an "up" year from the year before - but those have been infrequent) College football attendance declines for seventh straight season to lowest average since 1981 - CBSSports.com

TV watching is a much more nebulous thing to define - 1) the way the figures are calculated has changed over the years (probably inevitable w streaming, mini-networks, etc) and 2) with the change in number of slots (ie, wasn't that long ago that games were on Saturday - now its Saturday, Thursday, Friday, and even mid week) and 3) the near death of traditional over the air - and even some cable - networks (and the need for live programming vav advertising)

The one certainty is that times are changing. Where they end up? Who knows?

If PSU spent $700 MM and no one was there to hear it, would it make a sound?

🤔

Reactions: ChandlerPearce

OaktonDave

Oct 12, 2021
It's a good question that many don't even want to think about. I often hear or read that college sports are changing and "fans will have to accept that fact." In many cases, the underlying implication is that fans may not like the changes, but they will have to accept them and continue to respond as they always have. College football and college sports in general are a product, and fans are customers. Customers may have to accept the reality that a product changed, but they don't have to keep buying the product if they don't like the new version. History is filled with examples of vendors who decided their customers would always be their customers no matter what they did to the product only find out they were wrong. Will fans continue to vigorously support "college" football were the only connection to the team and the school is ownership? I guess we will find out.

ChandlerPearce

Jan 23, 2022
If PSU spent $700 MM and no one was there to hear it, would it make a sound?

🤔
This is exactly why i have reached a pause on my feelings to renovate the Beav....700 million dollars....and i would give odds it will be more....to a sport that has questionable longevity. Maybe we need to consult a tarot card reader?

Reactions: BobPSU92

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Sheriff's sales can get quite noisy.

I picture a dilapidated Beaver Stadium 50 years from now. On campus tours, prospective students and their parents would be told, “And this is where Penn State played “football” back in the old days until its demise due to greed.”

Of course, that could be the entire campus in 50 years (or even sooner). 😞

Reactions: Nitt1300

Ludd

Oct 12, 2021
Sure it did. And if you look back further, you'll see the effect and the decline that had nothing to do with it. But stick with your one year analysis on a depressed base.
And you keep thinking the whole country is going to stop watching because everyone thinks like you do. They’ve chased the dollar with the NCAA basketball tournament and it’s still going strong. College football is too big to fail.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
And you keep thinking the whole country is going to stop watching because everyone thinks like you do. They’ve chased the dollar with the NCAA basketball tournament and it’s still going strong. College football is too big to fail.
You have no idea what I think just as you have no idea what the numbers look like.

ChandlerPearce

Jan 23, 2022
Totally stop watching probably not....however the casual fans will find other interests since there is no longer "My School" fan rational. That is the point your argument misses....the NCAA Tournament is "My School" vs "Your School"....remove the school affiliation and it now becomes a pickup tournament

Reactions: OaktonDave

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021
because it has no real connection to the college experience, any more than pro football does

so why watch an inferior product when we have the NFL?
Because it's entertainment and in the end that's all people want. As long as the college is shown in the jersey, people will tune in. As long as it's still called Penn State football, you will too.

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021
Totally stop watching probably not....however the casual fans will find other interests since there is no longer "My School" fan rational. That is the point your argument misses....the NCAA Tournament is "My School" vs "Your School"....remove the school affiliation and it now becomes a pickup tournament
Who said anything about removing school affiliation? I agree that would be detrimental.

Ludd

Oct 12, 2021
Why would they get rid of the school affiliation?

SleepyLion

Sep 1, 2022
Why would they get rid of the school affiliation?
I was thinking about this. There is some brand equity, but at some point the school has to benefit from the sports team that is using its name. If the two entities no longer ahare the smae values, would the school charge the team to license the name, how much? Would the team find value in the name?