Hold UP! .... There is a Gamecocks HOCKEY team?

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
It's a club sport, and has been around for several years. There's a club rugby team too; at least there was a few years ago. Someone posted some rugby scores on FGF Rivals a few years ago.

BTW, I did see that hockey video via Youtube. Good going, Gamecock Central.

vacock

Joined Oct 26, 1998 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 20, 2022
Any wrestling club teams? With Title XI, a lot of schools stopped intercollegiate wrestling and men’s volleyball. FWIW

Captain_Obvious

Feb 18, 2022
When did this happen?
It’s a club team, but they’ve gained a nice following. They invited Coach Beamer to do the puck drop at the game a few weeks ago marking their 21st anniversary as a team.
They play at the plex in Irmo. I haven’t been in a few years but the games are really fun to attend. They also stream them live on YouTube.

To find information on almost any club team, one needs to go to Twitter.

Reactions: MrCockStrong

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
Any wrestling club teams? With Title XI, a lot of schools stopped intercollegiate wrestling and men’s volleyball. FWIW
Schools which sponsor varsity men's volleyball on the D1 level are located primarily in areas covered by the B1G and the PAC 12.

vacock

Jan 20, 2022
Schools which sponsor varsity men's volleyball on the D1 level are located primarily in areas covered by the B1G and the PAC 12.
I agree but that doesn’t change my comment.

Fried Chicken

Jan 30, 2022
The jerseys (sweaters) are classic. I know most people think there is a certain age a grown man should not wear a jersey…but that doesn’t apply to hockey. If you go to an NHL game, easily 50% of the fans are wearing one. I wish these were for sale.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
The way "Carolina" is displayed looks similar to the front of the New York Rangers jersey. I recall seeing a club hockey picture several years ago with a larger Block-C on the front.

Reactions: MrCockStrong

MrCockStrong

Feb 2, 2022
The jerseys (sweaters) are classic. I know most people think there is a certain age a grown man should not wear a jersey…but that doesn’t apply to hockey. If you go to an NHL game, easily 50% of the fans are wearing one. I wish these were for sale.

I'd venture to guess that "most people" that think that way do not live in professional sports cities. I lived in suburban Chicago for 11 years and now here in Houston for the past 6 years -- jerseys are a common thing for adults of all age ranges. It is very common on gameday to see both men and women with Texans and Astros jerseys. I wore my Blackhawks jersey quite often when I lived in Chicago, even on non-gameday sometimes. NBA jerseys have not been common for adults 25+ in either city.

The real funny thing is that you do not have to be a fan of the team in your city to be seen sporting a jersey from another team. Case in point, my wife, who is from Chicago, is a lifelong Packers fan. She wears her Green Bay Packers jersey every Sunday during football season. Surprisingly, I have seen quite a few Packers fans in our area. And, of course the irritating Cowboys fans with their jerseys and paraphernalia are ALWAYS around wherever you go.

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
It’s a club team, but they’ve gained a nice following. They invited Coach Beamer to do the puck drop at the game a few weeks ago marking their 21st anniversary as a team.
They play at the plex in Irmo. I haven’t been in a few years but the games are really fun to attend. They also stream them live on YouTube.

To find information on almost any club team, one needs to go to Twitter.
I wish the SEC would get serious about Hockey and make it a varsity championship sport. It's a great game. I wish the league would do the same for men's soccer and that our school would get into SEC ladies gymnastics.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
I wish the SEC would get serious about Hockey and make it a varsity championship sport. It's a great game. I wish the league would do the same for men's soccer and that our school would get into SEC ladies gymnastics.
Last I checked (which was probably a dozen years ago), the only southern school which sponsors D1 hockey is Alabama-Huntsville.

Men's soccer strikes me as more doable than ice hockey, notwithstanding Title IX considerations. At this point, if the SEC were to adopt ice hockey, it would probably start off in DIII,

Wish we had started a gymnastics program for women rather than add beach volleyball, since we already had a volleyball team

Reactions: King Ward

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
Last I checked (which was probably a dozen years ago), the only southern school which sponsors D1 hockey is Alabama-Huntsville.

Men's soccer strikes me as more doable than ice hockey, notwithstanding Title IX considerations. At this point, if the SEC were to adopt ice hockey, it would probably start off in DIII,

Wish we had started a gymnastics program for women rather than add beach volleyball, since we already had a volleyball team
Start SEC hockey as a women's sport. Solves your Title IX issues, right there.

I'd go to those games. The SEC would suck at women's hockey for a while, but I bet they would improve rapidly.

vacock

Jan 20, 2022
Start SEC hockey as a women's sport. Solves your Title IX issues, right there.

I'd go to those games. The SEC would suck at women's hockey for a while, but I bet they would improve rapidly.
Heck, make it a coed league. Ha

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022

Men's soccer becomes doable - Title IX-wise- if we add gymnastics for women, already a championship sport in the SEC.

GuitarCock

Jan 25, 2022
My buddies played back in the mid aughts when it was in the Coliseum. Once went to a game where they had Clemson 3-0 only to let them come back and win 4-3. First time I could actually express myself to Gamecock athletes after blowing a lead vs Clemson :D

Super Soaker

Joined Nov 11, 2020
Jan 30, 2022
Just keep an eye on their twitter account. They periodically put the jerseys on sale.

Reactions: Fried Chicken

Captain_Obvious

Feb 18, 2022
Yes, yes, and yes.
I wish the coliseum was in better shape because it’s the perfect size of venue in my opinion to house gymnastics, hockey, and even volleyball

Reactions: King Ward

Gamecock Jacque

Joined Dec 20, 2020
Jan 30, 2022
I'm a Packers fan...what do I have to be jealous of? LOL!
And yet you obviously are! I love it! As great as the Packers history is you're still jealous because you wish your team was the Cowboys. And they're not! You HATE the fans, who have done absolutely nothing to you (what have I ever done to you?) strictly because they get to pull for and cheer on a team that you wish were yours. That's what comes across as sheer unadulterated jealousy. I did nothing to irritate you but your baseless comments did irritate me just a little. But then again, we get it from all fanbases that wish their teams were the Cowboys. Now if you want to criticize the owner then I'm right there with you.

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
Yes, yes, and yes.
I wish the coliseum was in better shape because it’s the perfect size of venue in my opinion to house gymnastics, hockey, and even volleyball
The thing to do would be to refit the coliseum for those purposes and build a real basketball practice and administrative facility for our teams.

Reactions: Horseshoe04
Jan 18, 2022
And yet you obviously are! I love it! As great as the Packers history is you're still jealous because you wish your team was the Cowboys. And they're not! You HATE the fans, who have done absolutely nothing to you (what have I ever done to you?) strictly because they get to pull for and cheer on a team that you wish were yours. That's what comes across as sheer unadulterated jealousy. I did nothing to irritate you but your baseless comments did irritate me just a little. But then again, we get it from all fanbases that wish their teams were the Cowboys. Now if you want to criticize the owner then I'm right there with you.

Are you serious, Clark? :rolleyes:

Fried Chicken

Jan 30, 2022
Yes, yes, and yes.
It was too small for hockey. The Inferno played there but the rink was smaller than regulation size. They had a few years before they had to build an arena that could accommodate a regular-sized rink.

But as mentioned above, I’m sure it could be retrofitted. With the seats taken out, it would probably work now. But a smaller arena would be better.

Id prefer to see basketball moved back to an update Carolina Coliseum and put hockey, concerts, etc at Colonial Life.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
It was too small for hockey. The Inferno played there but the rink was smaller than regulation size. They had a few years before they had to build an arena that could accommodate a regular-sized rink.

But as mentioned above, I’m sure it could be retrofitted. With the seats taken out, it would probably work now. But a smaller arena would be better.

Id prefer to see basketball moved back to an update Carolina Coliseum and put hockey, concerts, etc at Colonial Life.
Have CLA available for basketball games you know would attract a large crowd, e.g., UCONN, NCSU, UnCarolina (hopefully one day, both genders), Kentucky.

Gamecock Jacque

Joined Dec 20, 2020
Jan 30, 2022
With all that recent post season success to brag about how can you blame them
That's my point about it being baseless. How can we be arrogant when we haven't won ANYTHING in 30 years! The owner is arrogant, not the fans. We're suffering.

MrCockStrong

Feb 2, 2022
The thing to do would be to refit the coliseum for those purposes and build a real basketball practice and administrative facility for our teams.

The coliseum? If you are referring to the Frank McGuire Arena, it was remodeled into the new Moore School of Business years ago.

Latest posts