Holman?

hailstate19

Redshirt
Nov 7, 2015
1,190
41
48
WTH happened?

He was never a great defender (except for blocking a few shots) and he was never great at scoring in the paint against SEC teams. For a while he was probably our most consistent 3 point shooter at least. I always felt confident that when Holman had a good look from 3 it was going in. Now I can’t even remember the last time he hit a 3 in the game. It’s a shame, I thought this would maybe be his break out season.
 

hailstate19

Redshirt
Nov 7, 2015
1,190
41
48
Not even close.

They may have been equally as lazy, but moultrie was much better in the paint from what I can remember. He was also a NBA first round pick. Holman won’t even come close to that. The difference in physicality is not even comparable
 
Last edited:

Seinfeld

All-American
Nov 30, 2006
11,636
7,892
113
Wish I had another explanation, but I think Holman’s a guy that has been able to avoid physical basketball his entire life due to god-given size and athleticism, and he simply has no interest whatsoever in fighting down low. If we had Joel Embid or even a Dampier clone in the middle, it might not be the end of the world, but Ado is equally tentative, and you just can’t have two post players that give you practically nothing in terms of boards and defense.

For the last couple years, I think Aric got a lot of minutes out of necessity because options were limited, and at least he was producing points on offense. However, Howland has options now, and those guys are outplaying both Holman and Ado. Frankly, it’s not even close

I’m sure that this gradual decline has been disappointing for all involved, but for anyone watching the OM game a week ago, the camera showed Holman late in the game just smiling and cutting up on the bench. He had played 9 minutes in that game, losing most of his PT to the freshmen, and he generated zilch during the time that he played. As fans, I think we read too much into player demeanor 90% of the time, but it really bothered me to see him seemingly unphased about the way he played or his minutes going down the drain
 

kired

All-Conference
Aug 22, 2008
7,133
2,541
113
I'd rather him be enjoying our first win at OM in his 4 years than be in a pissed off mood and having a negative effect on the team's attitude.

I've also wondered what may be wrong with him this year. But honestly if you look back over his career he's not doing anything different from a production standpoint. He's probably shooting more from outside than before, and I'm sure that's skewing his shooting percentages. But I think he's the same player he's always been --- it's just that now we have a big man with legitimate talent to compare him to, and it's becoming more obvious what his weaknesses are.
 

hoopscoach21

Redshirt
Jul 13, 2017
28
0
0
I'd rather him be enjoying our first win at OM in his 4 years than be in a pissed off mood and having a negative effect on the team's attitude.

^^^^THIS^^^^

I'd much rather him be a good teammate and excited for OUR success than pouting on the bench. The time to earn more PT is in practice not bitching on the sideline.
 

MSU Fan.sixpack

Redshirt
Sep 17, 2012
217
29
28
He is really out of it

If you focus on him, you see someone that seems lost on offense and defense. It's not just defense. It's like he forgot what to do and doesn't know where to be on offense. There was one play Saturday where he comes jogging down, last man down the court, a dribbler goes behind him with a man following - Holman stops and hops backwards sticking out his butt trying for a pick. He missed the guy luckily because if he had contacted him it would've been an obvious foul. His play is just real head-scratching.
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State PFF Grades from 56-23 loss to Alabama
  2. 02 Maroon and White Football Anthony Evans III posts highest PFN WR grade of Week 5
  3. 03 Maroon and White Football Standout Stats: No. 7 Alabama 56-23 No. 16 Mississippi State
  4. 04 Maroon and White Football Unpacking Mississippi State's offensive unraveling against Alabama
  5. 05 Maroon and White Football "Learning Moments": Mississippi State HC Jeff Lebby speaks on rough outing for QB Kamario Taylor