Hosting Picture

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Duke went 2-2

they have 4 quad 1 games in the last week. Including North Carolina who’s a national seed. A 3-1 week and it’ll be hard for duke not to host.

they’ll be 37-17 and have 17 wins in the acc plus probably a top 15 rpi.

all 4 games are home games. Duke controls their own destiny in terms of hosting
My mistake for some reason in my mind they lost that ECU game.

ECU might be one to watch now though. 0-4 week and got swept by a not good Tulane. They are probably still hosting for now but likely cost themselves a Top 8 now. And another bad weekend might put them on the road.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
You guys really shouldn't keep us talking about the possibilities of us hosting or else you gonna create enough negative voodoo to us get a number three seed. Seriously, I cannot see us hosting a regional unless they really need the money we could bring in.

Reactions: Dawg1976

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I personally think we are 3 SEC wins away from being totally safe, most likely. That can be either sweeping Mizzou or winning two and then winning a game in Hoover.

I think SC is totally out of it unless they pull off a shock series win in Knoxville next weekend and then do some work in Hoover. Georgia is now a lock to host. So there will either be 5 or 6 SEC hosts this year depending on how we finish.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
You guys really shouldn't keep us talking about the possibilities of us hosting or else you gonna create enough negative voodoo to us get a number three seed. Seriously, I cannot see us hosting a regional unless they really need the money we could bring in.
We have a Top 15 RPI and are 15-12 in the number one RPI conference. We absolutely have a host resume as of today.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Not unless we play a 7-inning DH.

Worst case scenario for this team. The @patdog and @HuntDawg types of the world were wrong that we’d suck, and I was wrong that we’d host. Bottom line, we’re improved but with a senior laden team, the future doesn’t look great. We should have been better, but injuries kill yet again. I wonder how we stack up in that category, if it’s our strength and conditioning (which for most baseball teams, is mediocre at best), or if it’s just baseball in general.

And with the odds good that yet another SEC team will win the natty (Arkansas, Tennessee or aTm), it’s really just hard to care at this point.

I think we will see a bad year next year, then a coaching and talent overall of this program in 2026. Hope football and basketball can bridge that gap.
I never said we’d suck. My preseason prediction was we’d make the tournament. We’re definitely better than that prediction. But there’s still way too many glaring flaws in this team. The time to fire Lemonis was last year. That was his benefit of the doubt year. We just prolonged the inevitable for 2 more years.

patdog

May 28, 2007
For what it’s worth, Warren Nolan’s prediction is 4-0 this week and a #17 RPI. That should host. I think an earlier poster is right. 3 more SEC wins probably hosts. Either 4-0 or 3-1 with an SECT win. BTW, we’ll drop to #16 unless Mississippi comes back to beat A&M.

Last edited:

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
The reasons we may not host is losing 2 to Austin Peay, to Air Force, losing 2 walk-offs to Florida, losing to S Alabama, blowing a big lead on Saturday at Ole Miss,
losing to Central 17-ing Arkansas! and blowing a 6 run lead today. That’s 9 losses.
Great teams lose a game or two they probably shouldn’t.
We’re a slightly above average team but if we win 4 or 5 of those 9 we’re hosting easily and MAY have a shot a a Top 8 seed.
But slightly above average teams I guess are just hoping to maybe have a chance to host.
Mississippi State should NEVER aspire to hoping to host a Regional and be slightly above average.
Lemonis has had two well below average teams and one slightly above average team.
Selmon should fire his *** if we don’t host OR if we are a #2 seed somewhere and don’t win that Regional.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The reasons we may not host is losing 2 to Austin Peay, to Air Force, losing 2 walk-offs to Florida, losing to S Alabama, blowing a big lead on Saturday at Ole Miss,
losing to Central 17-ing Arkansas! and blowing a 6 run lead today. That’s 9 losses.
We’re a slightly above average team but if we win 4 or 5 of those 9 we’re hosting easily and MAY have a shot a a Top 8 seed.
But slightly above average teams I guess are just hoping to maybe have a chance to host.
Mississippi State should NEVER aspire to hoping to host a Regional and be slightly above average.
Lemonis has had two well below average teams and one slightly above average team.
Selmon should fire his *** if we don’t host OR if we are a #2 seed somewhere and don’t win that Regional.
His first two teams don’t count? Funny, the first two teams were constantly used against Cohen, but Lemonis doesn’t get credit? I’m confused on the grading scale here.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
His first two teams don’t count? Funny, the first two teams were constantly used against Cohen, but Lemonis doesn’t get credit? I’m confused on the grading scale here.
Lemonis took 2 really stacked teams that had the Mississippi State grit, desire and passion to Omaha.
Those guys didn’t need much coaching to Win.
We aren’t getting much coaching now but the talent level is far inferior to those teams.
Thus you get what we’ve got for 3 years.
If your fine with mediocre go pull for some team other than State baseball.

Reactions: Anon1664516582

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Lemonis took 2 really stacked teams that had the Mississippi State grit, desire and passion to Omaha.
Those guys didn’t need much coaching to Win.
We aren’t getting much coaching now but the talent level is far inferior to those teams.
Thus you get what we’ve got for 3 years.
If your fine with mediocre go pull for some team other than State baseball.
I think you’re missing the point.

And by the way, 2019 and 2021 still count, last I checked. I’m not giving the trophy back.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

Do you even remotely realize how 17'ing stupid it is to say that a team ranked in the Top 20 nationally of every poll that matters is "slightly above average"?

Of course you don't, because you're well below average to say that...

Screenshot_20240512-195738.png

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
We have a Top 15 RPI and are 15-12 in the number one RPI conference. We absolutely have a host resume as of today.
Yes as of today we’d host. Problem is other teams have ways to get better. Our resume can only get worse really.
I personally think we are 3 SEC wins away from being totally safe, most likely. That can be either sweeping Mizzou or winning two and then winning a game in Hoover.

I think SC is totally out of it unless they pull off a shock series win in Knoxville next weekend and then do some work in Hoover. Georgia is now a lock to host. So there will either be 5 or 6 SEC hosts this year depending on how we finish.
would agree, but both South Carolina and Alabama could play their way in to host based on next weekend and Hoover.

5 sec
5 acc
ecu
indiana state
oregon state
oklahoma

are all hosting. Barring something really crazy. 2 spots left and a lot of teams can still get there

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Yes as of today we’d host. Problem is other teams have ways to get better. Our resume can only get worse really.

would agree, but both South Carolina and Alabama could play their way in to host based on next weekend and Hoover.

5 sec
5 acc
ecu
indiana state
oregon state
oklahoma

are all hosting. Barring something really crazy. 2 spots left and a lot of teams can still get there
I just don’t see SC winning two in Knoxville which they’d likely need to do. And Bama is a bad road team and would likely need to sweep at Auburn. I think either of them hosting is very much on the unlikely side at the moment.

I think I agree with your notion that 14 of the 16 spots seem pretty well accounted for right now. Somebody with a strong case is probably going to get snubbed. I think we control our own destiny and are fine if we sweep Mizzou, but losing a game this weekend could open the door for somebody else to take our spot.

I think Wake and SC traded places this weekend and Georgia nailed down its spot, but otherwise there’s a ton up in the air still.

Reactions: Msuirondawgs

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I just don’t see SC winning two in Knoxville which they’d likely need to do. And Bama is a bad road team and would likely need to sweep at Auburn. I think either of them hosting is very much on the unlikely side at the moment.

I think I agree with your notion that 14 of the 16 spots seem pretty well accounted for right now. Somebody with a strong case is probably going to get snubbed. I think we control our own destiny and are fine if we sweep Mizzou, but losing a game this weekend could open the door for somebody else to take our spot.

I think Wake and SC traded places this weekend and Georgia nailed down its spot, but otherwise there’s a ton up in the air still.
But SC and Alabamas RPIs are so good, and will only get better IF they get those wins.

NC State lost 48 points RPI wise with their mid week win over Norfolk State (301 RPI)... and won 18-0
We play UNA whose RPI is 290 or so, it's like even with a win we'll lose 40 points to our RPI.

If we lose say 40 points of RPI... we'll drop from 15 RPI wise to 22. Thats how close the group from 12 to 21 are

add in mizzou is a QUAD 4 game. Our RPI is going to drop a good margin this week. My guess is even if we are 4-0, depending on what the other teams do.. our RPI will be around 20. If its 18-20 range we are OK. If its 22-23 we are on the wrong side of the hosting bubble

Oregon State and Oklahoma to me are already locks-- they have solid RPI schedules down the stretch that should see their RPIs climb even if they lose barring disaster an 0 win week disaster
Oklahoma State-- barring something bad, they'll jump us RPI this week.
SC and Alabama-- if either can get to 15-15 would for sure be in hosting conversations
UCSB
NC State and Duke both have HUGE weekends. The ACC is looking to add a 6th host like the SEC is.

All those ^^ teams have strong teams they are finishing with... and even if they lose a game (or maybe even 2) will likely go up RPI wise.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
But SC and Alabamas RPIs are so good, and will only get better IF they get those wins.

NC State lost 48 points RPI wise with their mid week win over Norfolk State (301 RPI)... and won 18-0
We play UNA whose RPI is 290 or so, it's like even with a win we'll lose 40 points to our RPI.

If we lose say 40 points of RPI... we'll drop from 15 RPI wise to 22. Thats how close the group from 12 to 21 are

add in mizzou is a QUAD 4 game. Our RPI is going to drop a good margin this week. My guess is even if we are 4-0, depending on what the other teams do.. our RPI will be around 20. If its 18-20 range we are OK. If its 22-23 we are on the wrong side of the hosting bubble

Oregon State and Oklahoma to me are already locks-- they have solid RPI schedules down the stretch that should see their RPIs climb even if they lose barring disaster an 0 win week disaster
Oklahoma State-- barring something bad, they'll jump us RPI this week.
SC and Alabama-- if either can get to 15-15 would for sure be in hosting conversations
UCSB
NC State and Duke both have HUGE weekends. The ACC is looking to add a 6th host like the SEC is.

All those ^^ teams have strong teams they are finishing with... and even if they lose a game (or maybe even 2) will likely go up RPI wise
Yes, even one loss to Mizzou would hurt and might necessitate us needing a Q1 win in Hoover to make up for it (I think everyone in Hoover is in the Top 50 so any win there would be a decent to good one).

Reactions: patdog

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

SC doesn’t need 2 in Knoxville. They need the sweep. They aren’t hosting at 15-15 in conference play. Neither is Bama, who already has 15 losses. But if any of them were to somehow do it, it would be Bama, as they have the #2 overall SOS.

Bottom line - the committee isn’t going to split hairs over small RPI / small SOS differences with teams in the same conference. A 15-win USC team with a Top 10 SOS isn’t going to host over a 17-18 win MSU that still has a Top 20-25 SOS (currently is #12). Ain’t happening. They aren’t stupid. Same goes for Bama. Both USC and Bama need sweeps just to get an ounce of consideration over MSU, and if we sweep its still not going to matter. We’re going to stay ahead of both of those teams in the pecking order if the chalk holds - bottom line.

Only team that can prevent MSU from hosting is MSU. We are in full control of our own destiny this week.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
We are a very good team. There is two things keeping this team from being a great team. One, the bullpen, no lead is safe with this bullpen. Two is our streaky hitting. Even the guys with good averages are hot and cold. Hits come in bunches and then they can’t even swing at a good pitch.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Everyone controls their own destiny in terms of hosting now. But if we go 4-0 and some of the other teams with Rpis 12-21 go 4-0 as well. We will be on the wrong side of the bubble.

also the committee went on record two seasons ago saying that the games in Hoover then deemed as conference games. If either Alabama or South Carolina end up at 15 wins. Then win 3 in Hoover and their rpi is top 10. They’ll be host. And for either to do that, they’ll have 5 wins that will probably get them to right around that 10 mark rpi wise

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
SC doesn’t need 2 in Knoxville. They need the sweep. They aren’t hosting at 15-15 in conference play. Neither is Bama, who already has 15 losses. But if any of them were to somehow do it, it would be Bama, as they have the #2 overall SOS.

Bottom line - the committee isn’t going to split hairs over small RPI / small SOS differences with teams in the same conference. A 15-win USC team with a Top 10 SOS isn’t going to host over a 17-18 win MSU that still has a Top 20-25 SOS (currently is #12). Ain’t happening. They aren’t stupid. Same goes for Bama. Both USC and Bama need sweeps just to get an ounce of consideration over MSU, and if we sweep its still not going to matter. We’re going to stay ahead of both of those teams in the pecking order if the chalk holds - bottom line.

Only team that can prevent MSU from hosting is MSU. We are in full control of our own destiny this week.
The committee split hairs last season and multiple seasons pasts. 10-12 rpi spots are huge

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
The committee split hairs last season and multiple seasons pasts. 10-12 rpi spots are huge
How’d they split hairs in that way last season? The only team that didn’t host in the SEC that arguably could have was Tennessee. They were 16-14. There was no 15-15 or 14-16 team that took their spot. Everyone that hosted had that same record or better.

If we go 4-0, we’re hosting. Period. And probably still will be even at 3-1. We’re not losing our spot to a team with a substantially worse record in SEC play.

Bulldog from Birth

Jan 23, 2007
If we go 4-0, we’re hosting. Period. And probably still will be even at 3-1. We’re not losing our spot to a team with a substantially worse record in SEC play.
I’m not worried about South Carolina. I’m worried about 2nd Big 12 team like Oklahoma State and UC Santa Barbara. Our rpi will definitely drop with our final four games. If those teams have a better roi in the end or even if they are only 1 or 2 spots behind us., it will be very tempting for the committee to get a better regional distribution, especially to the West Coast.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Everyone controls their own destiny in terms of hosting now. But if we go 4-0 and some of the other teams with Rpis 12-21 go 4-0 as well. We will be on the wrong side of the bubble.

also the committee went on record two seasons ago saying that the games in Hoover then deemed as conference games. If either Alabama or South Carolina end up at 15 wins. Then win 3 in Hoover and their rpi is top 10. They’ll be host. And for either to do that, they’ll have 5 wins that will probably get them to right around that 10 mark rpi wise
I feel like the odds of everybody on the hosting bubble all going undefeated simultaneously are extremely low. Saying we should be fine if we sweep Mizzou is just an assumption based on probable percentages.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
I’m not worried about South Carolina. I’m worried about 2nd Big 12 team like Oklahoma State and UC Santa Barbara. Our rpi will definitely drop with our final four games. If those teams have a better roi in the end or even if they are only 1 or 2 spots behind us., it will be very tempting for the committee to get a better regional distribution, especially to the West Coast.
☝️☝️
Really needed that W yesterday.
We need to go 4-0 and win 1 or 2 in Hoover to get a Host spot.
There’s plenty on here who disagree and come May 27th I hope I was wrong but I just don’t see us making it without a 5-2 or 6-2 next two weeks.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
☝️☝️
Really needed that W yesterday.
We need to go 4-0 and win 1 or 2 in Hoover to get a Host spot.
There’s plenty on here who disagree and come May 27th I hope I was wrong but I just don’t see us making it without a 5-2 or 6-2 next two weeks.
We do not need 6 more wins to host, barring some insanely wacky finish to the year.

Reactions: Msuirondawgs

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
What a lot of yall are forgetting is that each new game counts less towards the RPI calculation than the one before it. The wild swings based on SOS only are done when you’ve played 50+ games.

And besides, Oklahoma State finishes against Houston….who is just as bad as Mizzou. UCSB finishes against someone even worse and just doesn’t have the schedule strength they need. We’re ahead of both now, and will stay ahead if we simply do what we are supposed to do. Those are the last two teams to be worried about. If we go 4-0, we’re hosting. Simple as that.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
How’d they split hairs in that way last season? The only team that didn’t host in the SEC that arguably could have was Tennessee. They were 16-14. There was no 15-15 or 14-16 team that took their spot. Everyone that hosted had that same record or better.

Didn’t happen last year but has happened in the past. And last year it did happen where teams made the tournament that were 2-3 games worse in conference but had better rpis

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
What a lot of yall are forgetting is that each new game counts less towards the RPI calculation than the one before it. The wild swings based on SOS only are done when you’ve played 50+ games.

And besides, Oklahoma State finishes against Houston….who is just as bad as Mizzou. UCSB finishes against someone even worse and just doesn’t have the schedule strength they need. We’re ahead of both now, and will stay ahead if we simply do what we are supposed to do. Those are the last two teams to be worried about. If we go 4-0, we’re hosting. Simple as that.
North Carolina state lost 48 point and dropped 10 rpi spots by beating Norfolk state this past mid week.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I feel like the odds of everybody on the hosting bubble all going undefeated simultaneously are extremely low. Saying we should be fine if we sweep Mizzou is just an assumption based on probable percentages.
Agree. We go 4-0 most likely be fine. But again our resume is basically set. Other teams aren’t. And last year no team with an rpi above 19 hosted.

there is a good chance our rip will be above 19 even if we go 4-0

patdog

May 28, 2007
North Carolina state lost 48 point and dropped 10 rpi spots by beating Norfolk state this past mid week.
48 points would drop us to 21. Then sweep Missouri gets us somewhere between 17-19. That should be enough to host.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
48 points would drop us to 21. Then sweep Missouri gets us somewhere between 17-19. That should be enough to host.
Sweep of Missouri isn’t going to move us though is the thing.

but yes in general that’s the hope. But again problem is every team in the top 22 with wins can jump up the board.

that’s why the 4-0 doesn’t automatically put us in in my mind. Oklahoma state duke North Carolina state, can all make large statements. As can South Carolina

The good thing is we are a host if it were announced today. Gotta hope we win and some teams around us lose.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Sweep of Missouri isn’t going to move us though is the thing.

but yes in general that’s the hope. But again problem is every team in the top 22 with wins can jump up the board.

that’s why the 4-0 doesn’t automatically put us in in my mind. Oklahoma state duke North Carolina state, can all make large statements. As can South Carolina

The good thing is we are a host if it were announced today. Gotta hope we win and some teams around us lose.
I think the ACC teams you mentioned can move ahead of us potentially and it wouldn’t take anything too crazy. I think SC’s path to leap frogging us now is incredibly difficult.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I think the ACC teams you mentioned can move ahead of us potentially and it wouldn’t take anything too crazy. I think SC’s path to leap frogging us now is incredibly difficult.
Agreed. The acc is a real threat. Along with Oklahoma state.

I think South Carolina gets 2 of 3 and wins 2 in Hoover. Their rpi would be too high to not host. I don’t see it happening either, but there is definitely an avenue

I realize we are throwing darts here. But 4-0
Doesn’t cut it for us 100 percent. 3-1, we are almost for sure not hosting barring wins in Hoover

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022

I think South Carolina gets 2 of 3 and wins 2 in Hoover. Their rpi would be too high to not host. I don’t see it happening either, but there is definitely an avenue

Doesn’t cut it for us 100 percent. 3-1, we are almost for sure not hosting barring wins in Hoover
I would add Arizona as a possible threat as well. 26 in the RPI but they currently lead the PAC 12 and have a huge series against Oregon State this weekend. If Arizona wins the series, it’s possible there are two Pac 12 hosts.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
You guys need to quit trying to come up with these rational arguments where there is a path to us hosting. It's really getting in the way of huntdawg's main point, which is that Mississippi State sucks and every other team is awesome and has a clear path to victory. Come on guys, let the man speak.

Reactions: WrightGuy821

patdog

May 28, 2007

I think 4-0 + a win in Hoover would just about clinch it. 4-0 without that win is probably better than 50-50. Key is keeping RPI in top 20. Hard to see an 18-win SEC team in the top 20 not hosting.

Reactions: HuntDawg