Hot Board: Next USC head coach (On3+)

Troy Dad 2016

Aug 30, 2021
The only thing that sucks about this is that we’re going to be speculating for the next 11-12 weeks. No chance that a Fickell or Campbell or any other college head coach leaves before finishing season. But Fickell makes the most sense. This will likely be Bohn’s last football hire. Either it will work out beautifully or it won’t and Bohn will get canned with the next coach. So he has to get this right.

FightOn81.usc

Aug 29, 2017
Urban even if wasn’t with an nfl team would be a major long shot as long as Folt has to sign off. They had discussions previously when we were all dooped and thought Helton was fired. She can’t see past his off the field issues and personal items. Don’t get me wrong things could change, but I don’t see is hiring anyone who has any question marks on their resumes when it comes to off the field issues.

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
I almost liked your thread but I am agreement with others; NO RETREADS! So #2 = #1 & #1 = #2 and no to #3

Lane Kiffin is my 3rd choice. I think Kiffin has grown up since his USC days, 10 years ago. He has done a fantastic job at BAMA, Florida Atlantic and Mississippi. Kiffin is a great and one of the best offensive minds in FB, most of all he is a great recruiter. No, Kiffin would be an awesome 3rd choice. I would bet the farm, in 3 years he could get USC FB into the final 4, one of the 4 CPO teams...

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
Lane Kiffin is my 3rd choice. I think Kiffin has grown up since his USC days, 10 years ago. He has done a fantastic job at BAMA, Florida Atlantic and Mississippi. Kiffin is a great and one of the best offensive minds in FB, most of all he is a great recruiter. No, Kiffin would be an awesome 3rd choice. I would bet the farm, in 3 years he could get USC FB into the final 4, one of the 4 CPO teams...
Can we not?

SouthbayTrojan91

Aug 24, 2017

I am one of the few people that think he should not have got canned like he did and appreciate the really excellent job he did navigating the sanctions.
But there is no way he is coming back here.
That ship has sailed.

GilbertAZTrojan

Aug 24, 2017
I'll be the first to admit that I HATED the Pete Carroll hiring when it was announced. I thought, "here's a guy who was a total failure at the NFL level with no ties what so ever to USC. So why are we hiring him?" I think it's safe to say that everything worked out for the best on that one.

While in my heart I would love to see what a healthy/motivated Urban Meyer could do at USC, if we go through a true national search and interview several top candidates, I'll have to trust whoever gets named in the next 10-12 weeks and throw my full support behind them and this team!!!

Cyrus.usc

Aug 24, 2017
Plaschke's latest column has a statement from Rick Caruso:
“I appreciate everything that Clay Helton has done for our students over the last several years,” Caruso wrote. “However, it has become abundantly clear that it is time to make a change and I am supportive of the actions taken today by President [Carol] Folt and AD [Mike] Bohn. We have a proud football tradition of excellence, and I am confident in our ability to attract a world-class coach who will return the USC football program to the most competitive and highest levels of collegiate football.”

tagteampkt

Apr 25, 2020
Aside from the aforementioned, my dark horse candidate is Dave Aranda. If he has a good season at Baylor, I’d take a serious look at him. He’s from the Southern California area, one of the best defensive minds around, is a solid recruiter, and was close to becoming our DC before he took the HC position at Baylor. There are still a handful of coaches I would take over Aranda but we could also do much worse.

cmd34

Aug 24, 2017
Matt Campbell please.

I can see why Fickell is being connected (Bohn) to us, but I'm not huge on him.

P.J. Fleck would be a nice consolation if we can't get Campbell. He has some Pette Carroll to him.

I'd also think about a hail mary phone call to Sean Payton's agent.

No first-time Head Coaches should even be mentioned as possibilities. If you want USC to be back in the national picture, you go big here.

Reactions: LABigBoi and JCakus

GilbertAZTrojan

Aug 24, 2017
It will be very interesting to see which coaches get extensions in the next few weeks to keep the sharks at bay. USC won't be the only Big Time program looking for a new HC by the end of the year; we're just the first to make the move.

Reactions: in2nation

Royalwulff

Jun 10, 2021
Fickell not coming IMO. He Wants to coach in power 5 conference. Next year Bearcats go to Big 12 . Not leaving Cincinnati.
Campbell next up.
Billy Napier should be considered.
Brent Brennan
Jamey Chadwell

Reactions: Afonz28

jacksonsf

Aug 24, 2017
I like your list and would be happy with everyone except OBrien, Bienemy and Schiano.

Franklin would crush recruiting. Cristobal is a solid coach and would be excellent at SC while hurting Oregon. Campbell or Petersen would be a HOME RUN hire. Petersen and Stoops could come in immediately. Fickell...great. Maybe Billy Napier?

ErikMcKinney

WeAreSC Staff
Staff member
Apr 17, 2018
Erik, are these candidates YOUR guess or info from inside HH?
Both. But based on how quiet USC was able to keep the Helton news until they wanted it released, I would guess they will look to do the same with this search. I would think a lot of the news that is going to come out will be from agents/connection to coaches looking for the job. Fickell and Campbell are no-brainers and two that will be considered.

There will be a piece posted in the morning where Scott and I got on a call and just went back and forth discussing this in a free-flowing conversation. No specific names at this point, but we both feel if it goes past the very obvious choices, there could be some unconventional options as well.

beeto

Aug 24, 2017
Doubt, he would want to move all the way out of here. He has all the support at Clemson and established relationships. If he was to leave, it would be to Alabama.
Have you heard of something called $$$$$...i hear it does wonders to peple and their mind sets.

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
Have you heard of something called $$$$$...i hear it does wonders to peple and their mind sets.
Dabo would cost a pretty penny and how would he vibe with LA? not very much. Not a good fit.

But I hear you beeto...

Fickell not coming IMO. He Wants to coach in power 5 conference. Next year Bearcats go to Big 12 . Not leaving Cincinnati.
Campbell next up.
Billy Napier should be considered.
Brent Brennan
Jamey Chadwell
Record: 16–31

Did you miss type or something?

Trojans_Oilers

Sep 4, 2017
Our next head coach hire not only affects USC, it also has conference implications. The Pac-12 absolutely NEEDS a rock star coach at SC to bring the conference back to being relevant and help with tv rights negotiations.

HRPickenstuff

Aug 24, 2017
My long shot of you can’t get Fickell, Campbell or Petersen. Chris Kleiman K State. He is 2-0 vs Oklahoma. Just beat Stanford last week. In his 3rd year he is 2-0 so far. Went 8-5 and 4-6 last year without his QB and a Covid distraction. He’s had some rotten luck with injuries. His overall record is 86-24. He’s a defense first type of guy. Right now K state is #15 in the nation in total defense USC is out side of the top 50. He’s only 53 years old and just starting his career he’s 14-11 in the Big 12 with someone else’s roster. Most of his losses were close. I see a future star who’s working with a 3 star roster in the bIg 12. No doubt in my mind with USC roster he averages 10 wins a season and he puts a playoff defense on the field. He runs the ball so there will not be an Air Raid system. His salary 3.1 million a year. I think he would accept the USC job.

Attachments

• 3A6EA29B-14D2-4E0C-A1D4-6FE331956861.jpeg
    3A6EA29B-14D2-4E0C-A1D4-6FE331956861.jpeg
    526.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

sheeshboy

Aug 30, 2021
Yes, Venables would be great. I would rather have a top defensive coordinator than offensive coordinator, as their background. Defense can be a solid backbone that just reloads every year. There is more consistency with a team that has a top defense. Venables could hire a flavor of the day offensive coach and if he doesnt work out, move on. As long as the defense is solid, it can allow the team to win, even if the offense cant quite make things work. Fickell is proof that defense wins games.

A top defensive coach could promote Donte to DC. Can you imagine Venables and Donte recruiting for the defensive side of the ball? Killer.

FIckell is #1 obviously.

Bienemy would be great too.
Bruh that would be too crazy🤩

Reactions: EdtheConquerer17

big_pete

Nov 19, 2017
I just want a coach who is a proven culture builder. Someone who desperately wants to be at USC because he knows that this is the place he needs to be to really compete. Someone who is scratching at the walls for a chance to compete with Alabama, Oklahoma, OSU, and Clemson. Not someone who just sees the job as a step up, or an easier place to recruit, or because it comes with more money, increased visibility, and a better location. So many of these coaches sound nice (Fickel, Matt Campbell, Billy Napier, Sonny Dykes), but how would someone like me ever know if they're the right fit. If nothing else, I just hope we take advantage of a proven search firm/consultant this time.

sctrojan2006

Aug 24, 2017
My top two choices are Urban and Fickell. I am starting to think Fickell would be the better of the two in the long run. Urban would probably get faster results, but has the greater risk of leaving a dumpster fire when he leaves.

Latest posts