Hot Board: Next USC head coach (On3+)

White Flash

Jan 22, 2018
I would think a defensive guy who touts physicality would suit our needs. PC started with the D line because you have to be able to stop the opposing offense at the point of attack, get penetration, and make big plays. Then build from there. I think Fickell is a D line guy, so I think he could turn it around. He just has to understand that he should not dabble in the offense.
Josh
campbell has become an offensive guy as a coach, but was a dlineman as a player. seems to coach his team that way. not a bad year to look for a new coach.

HectorSpectre

Nov 18, 2017
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Solid contribution to a serious conversation on a topic of highest importance to Trojan fans.

Gold Trojan

Aug 27, 2017
People are placing way to much emphasis on just the HC. Clemson became Clemson because of the money they put in all of the other areas. OC, DC, position coaches were/are all making more than their peers at other schools. Add to that, incredible upgrades to their facilities, and viola….

top recruits sign.

Peete2Affholter

Aug 24, 2017
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Solid contribution to a serious conversation on a topic of highest importance to Trojan fans.

Well, since everyone is just apparently throwing out names, why not HeltonSpectre for coach?

Sheesh. Didn't realize you were the board arbiter here.

Reactions: KeenObserver

ErikMcKinney

WeAreSC Staff
Staff member
Apr 17, 2018
I hope we ever we get takes Wisconsin DC or D-line coach.
Jim Leonhard - Wisconsin DC and safeties coach

Dude is an absolute star. One of the best defensive players ever at Wisconsin. Had a 10-year NFL career. Became the Wisconsin DB coach in 2016 and was the defensive coordinator less than a year later. This is his fourth year as DC there.

Bobby April is the OLB coach and defensive run game coordinator for the Badgers. It's his third year there after six years with the Jets and Bills.

Defensive line coach is Ross Kolodziej. It's his first year in that position but was the Wisconsin strength and conditioning coach the past six years.

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
Jim Leonhard - Wisconsin DC and safeties coach

Dude is an absolute star. One of the best defensive players ever at Wisconsin. Had a 10-year NFL career. Became the Wisconsin DB coach in 2016 and was the defensive coordinator less than a year later. This is his fourth year as DC there.

Bobby April is the OLB coach and defensive run game coordinator for the Badgers. It's his third year there after six years with the Jets and Bills.

Defensive line coach is Ross Kolodziej. It's his first year in that position but was the Wisconsin strength and conditioning coach the past six years.
Lots of strength on strength here. Talk about consistency. I'd raid Wisconsin for their defensive staff with clear intent. They've had a pretty consistent trend of having top 10 to top 25 defensive units. Though those numbers may be stretched since they are in the Big Ten.

Shrapper

Aug 30, 2021
One thing that we kind of overlook is maybe the spotlight might be too bright, the expectations too high. Maybe they hired Clay because no one wanted the job? Does it sound outlandish? I don’t know anymore.

The thing is, though, is that the bar is so low right now that any real coach would be an improvement, even someone like JDR, yeah I know puke. I heard Ryan mention on his podcast that no one is hiring him, and he rolled off a bunch of lower division schools as examples. I don’t think that’s the case. At his point in his career, why would he go or even consider those schools? It’s not that they won’t hire him, he just didn’t make himself available, so I find that argument flawed.

It makes me nervous to think our options will be narrower than we anticipate, that the job isn’t that inviting as we make it out to be. People seem to use our vacancy as leverage. It’s almost like their agents leak out their desire to be the next coach to better position themselves for something else.

USC is going to have to open up the purse strings and have to strongly convince that next hire imo. I’m talking full control and a mega, mega staff budget.

Reactions: RJC15

Jm641

Sep 23, 2021
One thing that we kind of overlook is maybe the spotlight might be too bright, the expectations too high. Maybe they hired Clay because no one wanted the job? Does it sound outlandish? I don’t know anymore.

The thing is, though, is that the bar is so low right now that any real coach would be an improvement, even someone like JDR, yeah I know puke. I heard Ryan mention on his podcast that no one is hiring him, and he rolled off a bunch of lower division schools as examples. I don’t think that’s the case. At his point in his career, why would he go or even consider those schools? It’s not that they won’t hire him, he just didn’t make himself available, so I find that argument flawed.

It makes me nervous to think our options will be narrower than we anticipate, that the job isn’t that inviting as we make it out to be. People seem to use our vacancy as leverage. It’s almost like their agents leak out their desire to be the next coach to better position themselves for something else.

USC is going to have to open up the purse strings and have to strongly convince that next hire imo. I’m talking full control and a mega, mega staff budget.
Sadly, I agree - I think this job is a tough sell, and probably getting tougher.

Reactions: TrojanDave85

Ztrogan

Sep 15, 2018
If Donte Williams can pull off an Ed O and go undefeated (sans ND) is he in the running?
I hope not! Another guy who would be in over his head! Our team needs to be rebuilt with a proven talent! Nothing wrong with Donte, just not now. We tried a “nice guy” and look where that got us!

deleted_00002

Aug 24, 2017
I've been a big proponent of Luke Fickell, but there seems to be a lot of speculation that he's not interested... so I'm moving on since a top HC criteria for me is the guy really wants to be at USC.

There's a lot of speculation around Franklin - that he's interested and would fit in well with the LA Media scene. All good, but he's making $8M at Penn State, which would be $12.5M in southern California. Probably would want at least a 5 year contract. Not sure he's worth $62M.

I'm really liking the idea of getting Kalani Sitake from BYU. I could definitely see him really wanting the job and coming in with energy, a plan and an identity for the team. Similar to Pete Carroll.

Next on my list is Dave Aranda. He seems to have turned the corner on rebuilding Baylor in record time - just wish he had a few more years as a HC and data points on how well he does at being a HC. AD Bohn being into analytics and really taking into account past performance as a HC when making HC hires may not be willing to take a chance on a "one year wonder."

And there could be a surprise from Bohn and he hires a G5 star like Jeff Monken from Army or Kalen DeBoer from Fresno St.

Last edited:

Jt71

Apr 6, 2018
What about the DC at Clemson? Bring in Joe Barry as DC and LB coach. Keep Donte and Naivar. Recruit some real DL prospects up the middle?

Reactions: EdtheConquerer17

Tamatoa916

Aug 24, 2017
Go for the coaches in Oregon. I’m leaning towards the guy in Corvallis. His offense was just…..beautiful to watch. The use of the tight end, the misdirection, the rb out the backfield running down the sideline wide open….Did you see the a** whooping the right side of his line was dishing out?

His run game carved us up. IF he had the caliber of players we have, a Dart at QB, and the line currently here, he would be something special.

I think that guy can come in and win right away.

Last edited:
Reactions: White Flash

MongoSlade

Aug 24, 2017
I’m really worried that we basically wind up skipping this recruiting class because of the disarray and not knowing who they’ll be playing for. It’s almost like we need to to publicly commit to the job now but that won’t happen.
Another thought: We THINK most of the commits are really good but considering CH’s horrible track record once they get on campus, are they really that good? Hmmm

Reactions: TrojanFireHorse12

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
I’m really worried that we basically wind up skipping this recruiting class because of the disarray and not knowing who they’ll be playing for. It’s almost like we need to to publicly commit to the job now but that won’t happen.
Another thought: We THINK most of the commits are really good but considering CH’s horrible track record once they get on campus, are they really that good? Hmmm
Our next coach is going to have to dig deep to really reevaluate the talent and character of the players in this program. I see some players transferring in the process. Given how poor of a evaluator Helton and his staff was even before they were replaced. Also doesn't help that every other year they would be a new position coach that was mostly likely worse not better at their job or just as mediocre. And if they were good at their job they left.

Last edited:

Royalwulff

Jun 10, 2021
I've been a big proponent of Luke Fickell, but there seems to be a lot of speculation that he's not interested... so I'm moving on since a top HC criteria for me is the guy really wants to be at USC.

There's a lot of speculation around Franklin - that he's interested and would fit in well with the LA Media scene. All good, but he's making $8M at Penn State, which would be $12.5M in southern California. Probably would want at least a 5 year contract. Not sure he's worth $62M.

I'm really liking the idea of getting Kalani Sitake from BYU. I could definitely see him really wanting the job and coming in with energy, a plan and an identity for the team. Similar to Pete Carroll.

Next on my list is Dave Aranda. He seems to have turned the corner on rebuilding Baylor in record time - just wish he had a few more years as a HC and data points on how well he does at being a HC. AD Bohn being into analytics and really taking into account past performance as a HC when making HC hires may not be willing to take a chance on a "one year wonder."

And there could be a surprise from Bohn and he hires a G5 star like Jeff Monken from Army or Kalen DeBoer from Fresno St.
Yes I agree but I would put Jamey Chadwell on the surprise list also

Reactions: TrojanFireHorse12

zitorocks

Aug 24, 2017
Anyone think Dabo Swinney is available after the season?
Clemson fans are roasting him right now if you can believe it. Like they seriously want to run Dabo out of town. You would think he had bought himself a bad season or two considering all that he's accomplished there. Not like Clemson was USC, Alabama, OU, UT or anything before Dabo. What's behind all of this? They want DJU benched. I told my friends who are Clemson fans that we would gladly take Dabo off their hands.

B1GTROJAN

Sep 7, 2021
Clemson fans are roasting him right now if you can believe it. Like they seriously want to run Dabo out of town. You would think he had bought himself a bad season or two considering all that he's accomplished there. Not like Clemson was USC, Alabama, OU, UT or anything before Dabo. What's behind all of this? They want DJU benched. I told my friends who are Clemson fans that we would gladly take Dabo and or DJU off their hands.

Fixed it ^^

I saw Dave U at the last game and missed Matayo. Matayo was at Stanford so could have been his son from 2022 class. If Matayo still ends up at USC as predicted pre-season that may not be too far reaching to think DJU could end up closer to home too at a place like USC. I don’t know from DJU himself what his plans are and I’m assuming he’s still content there for now. Who knows by season end how the fan base and or coaching situation could change DJU plans.

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
Clemson fans are roasting him right now if you can believe it. Like they seriously want to run Dabo out of town. You would think he had bought himself a bad season or two considering all that he's accomplished there. Not like Clemson was USC, Alabama, OU, UT or anything before Dabo. What's behind all of this? They want DJU benched. I told my friends who are Clemson fans that we would gladly take Dabo off their hands.
Before dabo, clemsoning was a thing…

zitorocks

Aug 24, 2017
Before dabo, clemsoning was a thing…
Yep, they forget how irrelevant they were prior to Dabo building that program. They were tier two at best...on average tier three. I remember when Clemson could not beat FSU in any season. They actually were a lot like USC over the past 10 years.

qqqqqqqman

Aug 24, 2017
Fixed it ^^

I saw Dave U at the last game and missed Matayo. Matayo was at Stanford so could have been his son from 2022 class. If Matayo still ends up at USC as predicted pre-season that may not be too far reaching to think DJU could end up closer to home too at a place like USC. I don’t know from DJU himself what his plans are and I’m assuming he’s still content there for now. Who knows by season end how the fan base and or coaching situation could change DJU plans.

What would we do with DJU, with Dart already waiting in the wings? And Moss….and Devin Brown?

Matayo, yes!

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
What would we do with DJU, with Dart already waiting in the wings? And Moss….and Devin Brown?

Matayo, yes!
We do need backups when kids get bruised up. And who knows how he’d do with some of that home cooking he’d be getting. But the greatest role he would play is as a magnet for his kid brother.

Reactions: 03burrito

TrojanTW

Apr 5, 2018
How often do these small program non-Power 5 head coaches succeed when they move to a blue blood program?

I mean I cannot think of one who ended up getting their new team to a CFP. I think we automatically think - "hey if they can make XYZ competitive with 2 and 3-star recruits, they should kill it with 4 and 5-star recruits." It just doesn't translate that way. I for one do not want any of those coaches at USC and if we did hire one (Fickell, Napier, et al.) I would see that as a strikeout. Look how Tom Herman did at Texas...and everyone thought he was a can't miss guy.
Chris Petersen. Granted, Washington isn't a blue blood but they're up there.

Reactions: zitorocks

Latest posts