Hot Board: Next USC head coach (On3+)

Trubb

Sep 3, 2021
In the 3 years before he got there Oregon had the number 16,27 and 19 classes. Where is this elite talent your referring too?

No one has ever accused Cristobal of being a tactical genius and arguing that point is dumb. He's great at recruiting and has a really good eye for coaching talent. I don't think he's made a single bad hire other than retaining Marcus arroyo.
A blind man could see and tell you Oregon been shitting on the whole pac12 with 3 elite recruiting classes. I mean how else would Oregon be the top dog's right now with the most 5 stars and 4 stars in the pac12. I'm just saying. It was all over ESPN my guy.

FightOn81.usc

Aug 29, 2017
I am one of the few people that think he should not have got canned like he did and appreciate the really excellent job he did navigating the sanctions.
But there is no way he is coming back here.
That ship has sailed.
To be clear, he was canned on the tarmac due to him calling an all team meeting that night after the game. Unfortunately admin couldn’t let him do that, waste everyone’s time knowing they were canning him the following day. Not an ideal situation but it happened and the optics looked bad but was right things to do

White Flash

Jan 22, 2018
To be clear, he was canned on the tarmac due to him calling an all team meeting that night after the game. Unfortunately admin couldn’t let him do that, waste everyone’s time knowing they were canning him the following day. Not an ideal situation but it happened and the optics looked bad but was right things to do

would take the lane train back in a heartbeat. would actually pick him over fickell, franklin and campbell.

zitorocks

Aug 24, 2017
would take the lane train back in a heartbeat. would actually pick him over fickell, franklin and campbell.
I would too, but this is less likely than Saban coming to USC. We will never ever hire Lane. Rudy has a better chance at being the USC Head Coach.

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
Heck, Kiffin gave Saban heartburn when he worked for him. He gave Al Davis heartburn. He gave us heartburn. It's who he is and what he does.
I get that too. But he honestly had saban and that vaunted defense stumped, scoring almost at will.

White Flash

Jan 22, 2018
I would too, but this is less likely than Saban coming to USC. We will never ever hire Lane. Rudy has a better chance at being the USC Head Coach.
never know, completely new administration. not that i would bet anything on him coming back.

zitorocks

Aug 24, 2017
never know, completely new administration. not that i would bet anything on him coming back.
Lane has too much baggage and character issues...with this administration, you know they aren't going to hire that.

White Flash

Jan 22, 2018
Lane has too much baggage and character issues...with this administration, you know they aren't going to hire that.
right on. just sayin it would only suprise me a little. he's the best realistic candidate out there.

he's an entitled poon hound and the best offensive mind in cfb.

Reactions: zitorocks

J4SC75

Aug 24, 2017
Joe Brady Carolina Panthers offensive coordinator.

Won a national championship and has NFL experience
I think you are raising the questions we should be patient and get an answer to - who else is there who might be considered? I actually like Ruhle more than Brady, but totally understand. What about Sam Pittman? Arkansas coach who really has energized that program and has Georgia coordinator experience. Nobody's talking Billy Napier, but he has done a lot with a small bayou school. There are going to be schools that break out this year and their coaches will become known and of course, some who disappear again.

White Flash

Jan 22, 2018
I think you are raising the questions we should be patient and get an answer to - who else is there who might be considered? I actually like Ruhle more than Brady, but totally understand. What about Sam Pittman? Arkansas coach who really has energized that program and has Georgia coordinator experience. Nobody's talking Billy Napier, but he has done a lot with a small bayou school. There are going to be schools that break out this year and their coaches will become known and of course, some who disappear again.
i think brady stays in the nfl.

i like the napier option, and we're prolly gonna be competing with lsu for a head coach.

HectorSpectre

Nov 18, 2017

There is no good excuse for publicly destroying the man they way they did. No effing class. Period.

At the time, many here didn't care and were glad to see him humiliated because it fits their standard M.O. of ad hominem attacks and anti-staff/player/poster hyperbole we see daily on these sites.

FightOn81.usc

Aug 29, 2017
You act like there were reporters there on the tarmac. Sc didn’t sit here and glorify they did it that way and I’m sure would have loved to do it differently. They didn’t have a choice. Sorry

zitorocks

Aug 24, 2017
How often do these small program non-Power 5 head coaches succeed when they move to a blue blood program?

I mean I cannot think of one who ended up getting their new team to a CFP. I think we automatically think - "hey if they can make XYZ competitive with 2 and 3-star recruits, they should kill it with 4 and 5-star recruits." It just doesn't translate that way. I for one do not want any of those coaches at USC and if we did hire one (Fickell, Napier, et al.) I would see that as a strikeout. Look how Tom Herman did at Texas...and everyone thought he was a can't miss guy.

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
How often do these small program non-Power 5 head coaches succeed when they move to a blue blood program?

I mean I cannot think of one who ended up getting their new team to a CFP. I think we automatically think - "hey if they can make XYZ competitive with 2 and 3-star recruits, they should kill it with 4 and 5-star recruits." It just doesn't translate that way. I for one do not want any of those coaches at USC and if we did hire one (Fickell, Napier, et al.) I would see that as a strikeout. Look how Tom Herman did at Texas...and everyone thought he was a can't miss guy.
Or frost at neb, the list is long… Diaz is another.. Fuentes? Do we want another experiment?

Reactions: yah20002

zitorocks

Aug 24, 2017
Or frost at neb, the list is long… Diaz is another.. Fuentes? Do we want another experiment?
Of course. Let's look at the top coaches over the past couple of decades. Saban, Dabo, PC, Mack Brown, Bob Stoops, Urban Meyer, Riley, Day, etc. - I'm not sure that any of them started as a HC at a small school. They served as coordinators at big programs and did that for a long time until they got their shot at a bigger program typically.

Reactions: Pudly76

uscfd

Aug 24, 2017
So does Franklin, Bieniemy, and Meyer yet people keep pushing those names.
Not advocating for Kiffin at all, just pointing out the inconsistencies here.

Reactions: qqqqqqqman

J4SC75

Aug 24, 2017

Texas is a weird place. Their alum interfere with the program more than any others in the country. Makes sense because their alum have lots of money. Navigating the alum can take more time than game planning. Remember Herman is a California guy, not a ranch hand.

Reactions: Kaptain Karl

J4SC75

Aug 24, 2017

How about Saban starting at Toledo?

mngtscrwdup

Sep 30, 2017
I would rather have someone who is elite on one side of the ball than someone who is mediocre on both sides of the ball. So I like Venables and Aranda. Aranda is an easier sell, because he has a little head coaching experience. But he probably needs to win alot of games this year to really excite the fanbase and recruits.

Who are the NFL coaches that might be interested that we would want to talk with?

Just feels like there are 2-3 head coaches in college that we would want who might be interested and after that, they all have some question marks.

Venables has always said no to a HC job, but it wasnt USC. This is one opportunity he might be willing to look at.

qqqqqqqman

Aug 24, 2017

I just heard about this while getting lunch…..

THAT is whack! I’m not a Twatter guy….. Kiffin REALLY posted that? While he’s at Ole Miss??! This has to be a hack.

If so, he’s even weirder that thought 🥵

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
different head coach now. did great at fau and will prolly win 10 games at frickin ole miss this year. that said, i don't see how we hire him.
Tarmac Kiffin ain't comin back

There is no good excuse for publicly destroying the man they way they did. No effing class. Period.

At the time, many here didn't care and were glad to see him humiliated because it fits their standard M.O. of ad hominem attacks and anti-staff/player/poster hyperbole we see daily on these sites.
Kiffin made millions he didn't care

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
I just heard about this while getting lunch…..

THAT is whack! I’m not a Twatter guy….. Kiffin REALLY posted that? While he’s at Ole Miss??! This has to be a hack.

If so, he’s even weirder that thought 🥵
Kiff just being Kiff… “all publicity is good” and never found a topic he wouldn’t troll, just ask saban

Reactions: TrojanFireHorse12
Aug 24, 2017
I would think a defensive guy who touts physicality would suit our needs. PC started with the D line because you have to be able to stop the opposing offense at the point of attack, get penetration, and make big plays. Then build from there. I think Fickell is a D line guy, so I think he could turn it around. He just has to understand that he should not dabble in the offense.
Josh

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
I would think a defensive guy who touts physicality would suit our needs. PC started with the D line because you have to be able to stop the opposing offense at the point of attack, get penetration, and make big plays. Then build from there. I think Fickell is a D line guy, so I think he could turn it around. He just has to understand that he should not dabble in the offense.
Josh
I would have to wonder who'd he get since he's defensive minded.

zitorocks

Aug 24, 2017
How about Saban starting at Toledo?
A LONG damn time ago. How long did it take for him to get to his first CFP (or win a Natty)? Are you guys willing to wait that long by hiring an HC from a non-power 5 school? Guys from Houston, Cincinnati, Florida Atlantic, Western Michigan, Boise State, etc....they don't get their next HC gig at a blue blood like USC, Texas, Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame, etc. They go to a place like Utah, BYU, Iowa, Kansas, Louisville, Cal, etc....you get where i'm coming from. This is why I think hiring anyone other than someone from the NFL or an already proven power 5 head coach is going to backfire and be a total strikeout.

Reactions: Kaptain Karl

J4SC75

Aug 24, 2017
Of course. Let's look at the top coaches over the past couple of decades. Saban, Dabo, PC, Mack Brown, Bob Stoops, Urban Meyer, Riley, Day, etc. - I'm not sure that any of them started as a HC at a small school. They served as coordinators at big programs and did that for a long time until they got their shot at a bigger program typically.

A LONG damn time ago. How long did it take for him to get to his first CFP (or win a Natty)? Are you guys willing to wait that long by hiring an HC from a non-power 5 school? Guys from Houston, Cincinnati, Florida Atlantic, Western Michigan, Boise State, etc....they don't get their next HC gig at a blue blood like USC, Texas, Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame, etc. They go to a place like Utah, BYU, Iowa, Kansas, Louisville, Cal, etc....you get where i'm coming from. This is why I think hiring anyone other than someone from the NFL or an already proven power 5 head coach is going to backfire and be a total strikeout.
I hear you and agree in large measure. Just watching Wake Forest play - Dave Clawson is doing a great job as their coach and he's Power 5. Would he fit the bill? I would make a large sweep of teams to be sure I considered all who could make SC a great/elite team again.

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
I hear you and agree in large measure. Just watching Wake Forest play - Dave Clawson is doing a great job as their coach and he's Power 5. Would he fit the bill? I would make a large sweep of teams to be sure I considered all who could make SC a great/elite team again.
Dave Clawson has been doing a great job?

43–4520–36

Kaptain Karl

Feb 16, 2018
100% agree. Remember how "Cant Miss" Tom Herman was?

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
So do we have a freaking HC yet ?

Give me the best out there and let the wins begin.
I want domination. USC has to come out hungry, next year. We aren't Texas, where they yell "we're back" every other year and it means nothing in the following. It has to translate consistently. Even if Donte doesn't become the HC. I hope he does everything necessary to instill the pride of competition in the players and stays on staff to continue to groom that foundation. Alongside our next HC.

Last edited:

J4SC75

Aug 24, 2017
Dave Clawson has been doing a great job?

43–4520–36
Took a dumpster fire and has made them a very good team. He knows how to develop players. Look how many of his Wake Forest players get to the NFL, especially OL. And they started out 2 to 3* players. His teams are disciplined, among the fewest penalties, his offense is top 30, and this all from a school that has 1500 students. Just saying, he does more with less, and with resources like a big program could do a lot.

Reactions: White Flash

Ojaitrojan

Mar 1, 2019

That's exactly what Urban did. Bowling Green to Utah (who was in the Mountain West) and then to FL.

Ojaitrojan

Mar 1, 2019
Urban- Bowling Green to Mountain West Utah.

Latest posts