How desirable is living in California?

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
https://www.foxbusiness.com/category/fox-news-san-francisco?page=1
"A San Francisco lawmaker introduced a proposal that would require grocery stores in the city to provide six months of notice before closing a store and to explore a replacement supermarket at the vacated location.

Dean Preston, a member of the San Francisco Board of Supervisors, introduced what he calls the Grocery Protection Act – which is based on a proposal the board approved in 1984 that was vetoed by then-San Francisco Mayor Dianne Feinstein.

Preston's proposal would require grocery store owners to provide six months written notice to the Board of Supervisors as well as the Office of Economic and Workforce Development (OEWD). The store would also be required to post notices at all entries and exits as a means of informing customers and the general public. The rule wouldn't preclude closures due to a store being unprofitable.

The bill would also require that grocery stores "meet and work in good faith with neighborhood residents" and the OEWD to find a workable solution to keep groceries available at the location. Those solutions could include identifying strategies and resources to allow the store to remain open, helping residents organize and open a cooperative and identifying another grocery store operator to take over and continue grocery sales at the location.

Under the legislation, any person affected by a grocery store's failure to comply with the requirements could initiate legal proceedings for damages, injunctive relief, declaratory relief, or a writ of mandate to remedy the violation."

They just don't stop. So when a city needs a grocery store, which one will want to come in knowing that they can't leave unless they follow these stupid rules....or get sued? Geebus.

4thamp1

Aug 24, 2017
Gee if I were a county BOS, I would engage the grocery chain on what conditions of the city locale are needed for a functioning store. Little things like arresting shoplifters and enforcing the laws, incentives to hire within the community so that employees are invested in the store's outcome, not scapegoating a corporation for your own decades old progressive policies that look to overtax companies with the stupefied "Pay your fair share" while bureaucrats become multimillionaires. You know. Little things.

DaFireMedic

Aug 24, 2017
San Fransisco supervisor wants to require grocery store owners to provide 6 months written notice before they close, or be subject to lawsuits.

If they are dumb enough to push this through, any grocery stores even thinking about leaving will move out before the law goes into effect. And good luck getting ANY new grocery stores to open with such a mandate.

Reactions: Pudly76 and 4thamp1

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
San Fransisco supervisor wants to require grocery store owners to provide 6 months written notice before they close, or be subject to lawsuits.

If they are dumb enough to push this through, any grocery stores even thinking about leaving will move out before the law goes into effect. And good luck getting ANY new grocery stores to open with such a mandate.

Day late, broham. ;)

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
Remember when CA banned plastic bags? "The California Legislature passed its statewide ban on plastic bags in 2014. The law was later affirmed by voters in a 2016 referendum." Stores, for a price, provided thicker plastic bags in the hope that people would reuse them as opposed to the thinner bags that people already threw away. How did we do?

"The amount of plastic shopping bags trashed per person grew from 8 pounds per year in 2004 to 11 pounds per year in 2021....

The plastic bag ban that we passed in this state in 2014 did not reduce the overall use of plastic. It actually resulted in a substantial increase in plastic,” Blakespear, a Democrat from Encinitas, said Thursday. “We are literally choking our planet with plastic waste.”

Twelve states, including California, already have some type of statewide plastic bag ban in place, according to the environmental advocacy group Environment America Research & Policy Center. Hundreds of cities across 28 states also have their own plastic bag bans in place."

So, realizing that this tactic failed, what is CA planning now? California would ban all plastic shopping bags in 2026 under a new bill announced last Thursday in the state Legislature. Do these people ever learn?

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
"Millions of Southern California residents could see one aspect of their water bill double.

On Tuesday, the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California (MWD) passed a budget that solidified rate and property tax increases for its customers over the next two years. Years of drought in California contributed to the increase, as the district battles revenue declines following widespread conservation efforts related to climate change.

Two abnormally wet winters have aided in California's recovery from drought, but despite the state's improved water conditions, conservation efforts have had an impact on the MWD.

"We've been successful in conservation to the point where our sales are declining, and we need to make that up somehow," MWD Board of Directors Chair Adán Ortega Jr. said, according to a Los Angeles Times report. "We've made up the revenue and stabilized the past rates with the reserves, and we can't keep doing that."

The increase will impact two aspects of residents' water bills—their monthly bill and their annual ad valorem property tax.

Water rates will increase by 8.5 percent in 2025 and another 8.5 percent in 2026. The rate increase will be reflected on the monthly water bill received by the 26 public water agencies the district serves. It delivers water to 19 million people in Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego and Ventura counties."

Mind-blowing. And people just sit back and take it.

• Angry
Reactions: Pudly76

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
"Millions of Southern California residents could see one aspect of their water bill double.

On Tuesday, the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California (MWD) passed a budget that solidified rate and property tax increases for its customers over the next two years. Years of drought in California contributed to the increase, as the district battles revenue declines following widespread conservation efforts related to climate change.

Two abnormally wet winters have aided in California's recovery from drought, but despite the state's improved water conditions, conservation efforts have had an impact on the MWD.

"We've been successful in conservation to the point where our sales are declining, and we need to make that up somehow," MWD Board of Directors Chair Adán Ortega Jr. said, according to a Los Angeles Times report. "We've made up the revenue and stabilized the past rates with the reserves, and we can't keep doing that."

The increase will impact two aspects of residents' water bills—their monthly bill and their annual ad valorem property tax.

Water rates will increase by 8.5 percent in 2025 and another 8.5 percent in 2026. The rate increase will be reflected on the monthly water bill received by the 26 public water agencies the district serves. It delivers water to 19 million people in Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego and Ventura counties."

Mind-blowing. And people just sit back and take it.
They charged us on a scaled rate during the drought too based on past years usage. In other words, if I landscape a piece of my yard that laid fallow and we developed it, my billing rate tripled. Crazy

Reactions: uscvball

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
If it’s adding .48 cents like the tweet says, I don’t have a problem with it. If it’s 48 cents per gallon (which is .48 dollars), which is what he probably meant, that’s a big problem.
He did say to a gallon of gas, so did the newspaper headline..

per avg 17 gal tank = $8.16

Reactions: DaFireMedic

steveo.usc

Aug 24, 2017
Very few "Farmers" left in central Valley. Most of the land is owned and farmed by by large corporations
I would suggest you take a ride through the valley. For one thing, it is huge, a lot of land, and there are tons of farmers trying to eak out a living. Try next spring and take the Blossum Trail.

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
I would suggest you take a ride through the valley. For one thing, it is huge, a lot of land, and there are tons of farmers trying to eak out a living. Try next spring and take the Blossum Trail.
Especially nice when that Tule fog sets in.. 😜

Reactions: Rodgarnay51

Moon4Cimoli

Aug 31, 2021
I drove through Georgia peach orchard country a few days ago, I couldn’t tell you anything about living there, but darn it was pretty. Homes and landscaping looked gorgeous. Same with the area around Hot Springs, AR. Pretty homes on a pretty river with boat docks.

I am part of a yearly golf tourney in Socal. The cost of the yourney has near doubled inside of 3 years. Pala Mesa was $550 3 years ago, now its $900.

sc69er

Aug 31, 2021
Current average sales price for farmland in the central valley is in excess of $20,000/acre. No one who owns that land is eeking out anything, they are either a large wealthy organization or former farmers. One of the reasons for the increase of nut trees as the cash crop, mostly almonds , is the cost of land as almond give the highest return.I lived in Kern Co for a period of time years ago and watched the start of the process.

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
Current average sales price for farmland in the central valley is in excess of $20,000/acre. No one who owns that land is eeking out anything, they are either a large wealthy organization or former farmers. One of the reasons for the increase of nut trees as the cash crop, mostly almonds , is the cost of land as almond give the highest return.I lived in Kern Co for a period of time years ago and watched the start of the process.
It takes a gallon of water to produce one almond. The nutrients have been stripped out of the soil too, so a less healthy option as they once were.

But there have been changes.

"Now, the almond boom has fizzled and the industry has entered a slump. Prices have dropped over the last several years, and the state’s total almond acreage has started to decrease as growers have begun to tear out orchards and plant other crops.

In a sign of the troubles besetting the industry, one large almond-growing conglomerate has declared bankruptcy.

In a series of Chapter 11 filings in federal bankruptcy court, Trinitas Farming and other affiliated companies said that record-low almond prices and high interest rates contributed to their “serious liquidity constraints.”

The group of companies said in a court document filed Feb. 19 that they own 7,856 acres of almond orchards in five counties, including Solano, Contra Costa, San Joaquin, Fresno and Tulare. As part of the bankruptcy proceedings, these orchards are expected to be put up for sale.

“When the price is low, now we start seeing the results of it. And certainly the fear is that Trinitas is the tip of the iceberg,” said Jake Wenger, general manager of the Salida Hulling Assn., which runs an almond-hulling plant in Modesto.

Prices for premium almonds have dropped from nearly $4 a pound a decade ago to about $2 a pound or less, Wenger said. Though the low prices are affecting all growers, those that are being hit especially hard are the many investor groups that bought land when prices were high and now have large debts, he said.

“The question becomes, do some of these banks call on some of these loans? And that's really going to be a concern for a lot of people in the industry,” Wenger said. “Nobody got more indebted to the banks than a lot of these investor groups.”

He said he believes almond prices will eventually rebound, but it’s not clear when that turnaround might come.

“I certainly don't think we've seen the worst of it yet,” Wenger said.

While various factors have contributed to the situation, Wenger and others say some of the issues weighing on prices include an oversupply of almonds after years of rapid growth."

Pistachios are the new almond.

steveo.usc

Aug 24, 2017
Like I said, take a drive around the valley. All I see are small farms. Bosewell is in the middle, partially underwater. Tulare county is the largest ag producing county in the USA. Almonds are a good cash crop, walnuts are not. Citrus is the motherlode. I live in Tulare county and know a lot of farmers.

Trojan JST

Aug 24, 2017

jaycee993

Sep 2, 2021
Does it depend on where you live in Calif?.......I have lived in Monrovia for the last 27 years....woke up tonight and said I gotta GTFO....I wanna move to Lake Arrowhead or surrounding areas....want a slower life....Stellar Jays, and quiet.....Its a big project to move

Reactions: Pudly76 and 4thamp1

4thamp1

Aug 24, 2017
Does it depend on where you live in Calif?.......I have lived in Monrovia for the last 27 years....woke up tonight and said I gotta GTFO....I wanna move to Lake Arrowhead or surrounding areas....want a slower life....Stellar Jays, and quiet.....Its a big project to move
I really like the Eastern Sierra for that reason but there are also many financial pitfalls staying in the state as a retiree and likely more coming as wealth and high income earners flee.

Latest posts