How does the committee handle this?

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
They are in a lose-lose scenario assuming Michigan wins. USC is out. There’s not question about that. Here’s the scenarios

A. OSU gets in. Do they get in as the four? That means you don’t move TCU at all after a loss, which I don’t think you can do. You have to do something to them for losing. Plus, you move up OSU in the rankings with them having not won a game and coming off a blowout.

B. You penalize TCU and move them to 4. Rational move. But then you move OSU to 3 and deal with the reasons I stated above. Plus you get a rematch of a blow-out game we just saw.

C. Bama gets in over TCU and you get a all Big 10 and SEC playoff with OSU getting dealing with the reasons above and you get a 2-loss playoff team in Bama.

D. Bama gets in over OSU. Then you have a scenario where Bama improved over OSU in the committees eyes where neither team played this week.

Regardless of the outcome, this will be an interesting **** show and I love it. Scenario A seems like the most likely one

wsjmsu75

Sep 29, 2017
They are in a lose-lose scenario assuming Michigan wins. USC is out. There’s not question about that. Here’s the scenarios

A. OSU gets in. Do they get in as the four? That means you don’t move TCU at all after a loss, which I don’t think you can do. You have to do something to them for losing. Plus, you move up OSU in the rankings with them having not won a game and coming off a blowout.

B. You penalize TCU and move them to 4. Rational move. But then you move OSU to 3 and deal with the reasons I stated above. Plus you get a rematch of a blow-out game we just saw.

C. Bama gets in over TCU and you get a all Big 10 and SEC playoff with OSU getting dealing with the reasons above and you get a 2-loss playoff team in Bama.

D. Bama gets in over OSU. Then you have a scenario where Bama improved over OSU in the committees eyes where neither team played this week.

Regardless of the outcome, this will be an interesting **** show and I love it. Scenario A seems like the most likely one
The 12 team playoff cannot come too soon.

Dogpatrol

Mar 12, 2021
Do they penalize a team that played in but lost a conference championship game vs a team that was not eligible for a conference championship and was sitting at home.

Reactions: sandwolf.sixpack
Jul 1, 2013
I don't see how you can bump TCU out of the playoffs for losing a conference championship in OT. Especially when the committee has told the Big12 before that they didn't let a team in over not playing a conference championship.

If Bama somehow makes it in and I were the Big 12 or Pac12, I would let my undefeated or one loss conference winner opt out of the conference championship game next season.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
I think TCU will stay at 3. They had an overtime loss against the 10th ranked team in the country, who they already beat earlier this season. I don’t think they’ll fall behind Ohio State. The Big 12 is a better conference than the Big 10 this year and TCU didn’t get blown out on its home field like OSU did.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
You drink another scotch and prepare to shred the decisions of politicians masquerading as a committee. Don’t underestimate the impact of 60k Bama sidewalk necks that will sell out their fentanyl stash to travel well.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Ohio State to 3, TCU to 4.

Bama SHOULD be in, but they won’t be. They can’t swap Ohio State and Bama now that they already had them behind them.

Dawg097

Nov 23, 2022
It will be:

1. Georgia
2. Michigan
3. Ohio State
4. TCU

The committee isn't concerned with matchups for the playoffs.

Reactions: T-TownDawgg

dawgnabit

Oct 13, 2016
I think they will move TCU to 4 and OSU to 3. I think Michigan is still in if they lose tonight so I have no idea what you do in that case. Then you have to decide who gets the 2 seed. But I don’t see how you put Alabama in. The only factor they have in their favor is that they are Alabama and will have a lot of eyes on them. Their best win is us. They have a common opponent with tcu in Texas and tcu looked slightly better than bama in that game. And Alabama shouldn’t be rewarded for getting to sit at home with 2 loses while tcu had to play a top 10 team in the conference championship. Also, I think they needed lsu to play UGA close today and they got blown out. But the only factor in their favor may be enough but I hope not…

Reactions: T-TownDawgg

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
The 4 best teams are Georgia, Michigan, Ohio State and Alabama.

And I don't think the 5th best team is all that close to the 3rd and 4th.

What the committee does who knows, but they should put those 4 teams in the playoffs.

Reactions: DAWGSANDSAINTS

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Ohio State to 3, TCU to 4.

Bama SHOULD be in, but they won’t be. They can’t swap Ohio State and Bama now that they already had them behind them.
This ^^^

TCU will drop to 4 after the loss.

1. UGA
2. Michigan
3. OhSt
4. TCU

A Michigan and OHSt rematch will be epic.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

They’ll make the order whatever it needs to be in order to avoid the Michigan-Ohio State rematch in the semis. That’s not a big deal at all. They did the same thing last year by dropping UGA to 3 instead of 4 so they didn’t have the immediate Bama rematch. If TCU gets in, they know they are playing Michigan as the lower ranked team. If OSU gets in, they know they are playing UGA as the lower ranked team. Actual order matters not so much.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012

What the committee does who knows, but they should put those 4 teams in the playoffs.
You sound like Saban on the Big 10 halftime show. Don’t look at the body of work, just put the teams you think are the best in. Bama didn’t really have any great wins. One point win at Texas and 24 point home win over us are their two best. TCU has a bigger win over Texas and a win over #10 Kansas State. They should be in. No Bama this year.

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015
I don’t think Bama should get in based on the simple fact that I don’t think they’re one of the best 4 teams in the country. Not this year.

1) UGA
2) Michigan
3) Ohio State
4) TCU

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
You sound like Saban on the Big 10 halftime show. Don’t look at the body of work, just put the teams you think are the best in. Bama didn’t really have any great wins. One point win at Texas and 24 point home win over us are their two best. TCU has a bigger win over Texas and a win over #10 Kansas State. They should be in. No Bama this year.

I think that's what will happen and it doesn't bother me because I don't like the school or Saban much.

But Bama is the better team.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

Bama didn’t have any big wins in 2017 either, when they also didn’t win the West. They still got the last bid over Ohio State and won the CFP. Made the committee look like geniuses.

Not saying it happens again, but there is precedent. And most people believe Bama to be a much better team than TCU.

Reactions: patdog

dawgnabit

Oct 13, 2016
Alabama keeps trying to tell everyone that they are not a top 4 team this year but people keep wanting to think about the past. They barely beat 8-4 Texas without Quinn Ewers (TCU beat Texas and physically dominated Texas). They barely beat a 5-7 Texas A&M team at home. They lost to a LSU team who got blown out by the top 2 teams in the sec east. Bryce Young is the best player in the country imo, but Alabama is not one of the top 4 teams this year

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Ok, answer this. You’re Kirby Smart or at minimum a Ga Bulldog fan. Between Ohio State, TCU, and Alabama. Who would you least like to play in a 1vs4 matchup and who would you most like to play?

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Do they penalize a team that played in but lost a conference championship game vs a team that was not eligible for a conference championship and was sitting at home.
If that team at home is Bama, they penalize the team that qualified for a conference championship.

patdog

May 28, 2007
1. Georgia
2. Michigan
3. TCU
4. Ohio State

Anything else would be a giant stain on the process.
1. Georgia
2. Michigan
3. Ohio St.
4. TCU

I know that gives a rematch in the semi-finals, but you penalize the #1 seed if you don't do it.

Edit: Although, after reading the rest of the posts in this thread, the thought of the OSU secondary trying to cover McConkey and those tight ends is pretty scary if you're an OSU fan.

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
1. Georgia
2. Michigan
3. Ohio St.
4. TCU

I know that gives a rematch in the semi-finals, but you penalize the #1 seed if you don't do it.

Edit: Although, after reading the rest of the posts in this thread, the thought of the OSU secondary trying to cover McConkey and those tight ends is pretty scary if you're an OSU fan.
I feel the committee will hold TCU at 3 and OSU at 4 for a couple of reasons.

First, they want to avoid the rematch with Mich/OSU.

Second, they can justify that by saying TCU only had one loss and it was by 3 in OT. Ohio State last game was a blowout loss.

We will find out later today. I agree that think Bama is better than TCU and Ohio State but they’re too far of a reach.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Just like us, Bama shouldn’t have lost to LSU. The Tn game was a matter of who had the ball last

Reactions: patdog

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022

Well we knew before the season started that OSU, UGA, Bama, and Michigan were the best 4 teams, except TN is better than 3 of those teams.
Why do we even play the games?
TCU handled business. OSU didn’t. Bama didn’t.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
You’ve got to be kidding. Bama is by far the most dangerous team in that list. I’m buying the 2-loss argument. But Bama is better than OSU or TCU. And it’s not close.

It might be closer than you think. But we'll never really know now.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
I feel the committee will hold TCU at 3 and OSU at 4 for a couple of reasons.

First, they want to avoid the rematch with Mich/OSU.

Second, they can justify that by saying TCU only had one loss and it was by 3 in OT. Ohio State last game was a blowout loss.

We will find out later today. I agree that think Bama is better than TCU and Ohio State but they’re too far of a reach.
And the treenuts got blown out was at HOME. Both TCU and OSU had one loss. TCU should not be penalized because their's came a week later. The committee got it right and ohio state should be on their knees thanking the good Lord that they sneaked in at #4.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
You’ve got to be kidding. Bama is by far the most dangerous team in that list. I’m buying the 2-loss argument. But Bama is better than OSU or TCU. And it’s not close.
Are they? Bama played UT and LSU close, and they got by Texas. I don't doubt that going 10-2 against their schedule was harder than going 11-1 against OSU's, but at the end of the day, Bama didn't beat any really good teams. Of course OSU has nothing on their resume except beating PSU and the name on their jersey. So does Bama deserve it over OSU? Probably. But I don't think it's a slam dunk this year like it has been in years past that the 2nd best SEC team is better than the 2nd best Big 10 team. I'm just not sure how good the SEC is this year. And unfortunately, the bowls really tell us nothing now with opt outs. It was always questionable how good a measure of strength between conferences bowl games were, but now you're literally not playing with the same teams from the season because of opt outs.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Just give the dang trophy to Georgia and call it a season.
Some of the talking head said so much during the Bowl selection show yesterday. In fact, they said go back to the BCS and you just have Georgia playing Michigan for the NC instead of splitting hairs over who gets in. They said the same thing is going to happen when you let 12 teams in. 13, 14, 15 and 16 are going to whine and complain about how they were slighted.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I don't see any way that Ohio State belongs, nor Alabama. I'm ready for a 12 team to see how thing play out on the field.

Reactions: Ranchdawg