It hasn't always showed in our games, but this year we have been blessed with some very talented receivers.
Heath and Walley are awesome. I really wish Tyrell Shavers had stuck around too.
Now that Will Rogers seems to be more comfortable, I would have loved to see what he could have done with Shavers, Heath, Walley, and one of the other guys in the starting receiver rotation.
I hope we see a lot of him the games and seasons to come.
He's very, very, very good. Should break every receiving record THE SEC has before he's done.
Forgive me, but why did he quit? Was he a malcontent or was it related to covid concerns?
He is the best looking freshman receiver we’ve had since Chad Bumphis, if not longer. And he will probably break quite a few of our school records.
I think longer. Without checking, I would guess Bumphis had a more productive and consistent freshman year, but I don't remember him showing the flashes that Walley has shown.
Wow, that is much less production than I was expecting from Bumphis. I knew we didn't have much offense outside of Boobie that year (until Relf got into the egg bowl), but I was thinking he got more yards and catches than that. I guess I was also paying a lot more attention then, whereas I ahve checked out at times this season.Take this with a grain of salt because the offenses that Bumphis and Walley played in were extremely different, but since you mentioned it I had to check for myself:
Walley 2020 (so far): 8 games, 35 catches, 462 yards, 1 TD, 13.2 YPC
Bumphis 2009: 12 games, 32 catches, 375 yards, 4 TD, 11.7 YPC
We use them differently but the production is pretty similar to this point. Obviously Walley has a chance to get up close to 700 or so yards if he has a couple of more big games and that would make him by far our most productive freshman receiver ever.
Maroon and White
Mississippi State Bye Week Checklist: What Needs Work?
Maroon and White Football
Mississippi State Bye Week Watchlist
Maroon and White
Mississippi State Basketball tipoff times finalized
Rivals Basketball Recruiting
Mississippi State, Maryland & UCF talking visits with 4-star forward K'Nard Callendar
Maroon and White Football
"Fine line": Mississippi State HC Jeff Lebby speaks on managing health and preparation