how much thrust would it take to move Earth out of this orbit?

Nohow

Oct 25, 2021
Google it, some sites have answers but not necessarily the same one.
What orbit would you prefer?

Last edited:

olelion

Oct 31, 2021
You have to increase/decrease the velocity of the orbit around the sun. An increase would widen the orbit and a decrease would do the opposite. You'r talking about a thrust greater than 5-6 quadrillion tons

PSU12046

Oct 18, 2021
A can of Busch’s Baked Beans and some raw cabbage and I can move mountains!
Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

ODShowtime

Nov 1, 2021
If all the big mouth blowhards of the big 2 all blew hard at once, that would probably do it. They can blow away bad QB recruiting, early losses, sexual assault scandals, so why not the Earth itself?

Mr. Potter

Oct 18, 2021
Is something bothering you bunkie? Have a bad day? Knocking the Earth out of its orbit seems a little extreme.

I was thinking yesterday if all of the nuclear weapons in the world were placed in one area and detonated would that energy move the earth of its axis. Which then led me to think how much force/thrust would it take to move the Earth.

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
I was thinking yesterday if all of the nuclear weapons in the world were placed in one area and detonated would that energy move the earth of its axis. Which then led me to think how much force/thrust would it take to move the Earth.
No. But it would make a big hole.
1669901875490.jpeg

Reactions: Mr. Potter

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
And here I am spending my time thinking of compact metric spaces and weather reports.

Hugh Laurie

Oct 6, 2021
The folks at Caltech or Nasa I'm sure can do it quite easily given the orbital parameters you're looking to achieve. These guys deal with orbital mechanic calculations regularly planning space missions. Clearly the earth's orbit can be changed if a large enough celestial body was to come in proximity of the earth warping space/time that the earth occupies and propelling the earth on a new trajectory whether it be a new orbit or escape trajectory from the sun.

Last edited:
Reactions: LionJim

BostonNit

Oct 27, 2021
I've read that if every resident in China jumped at the same time they'd alter the Earth's orbit when they landed.

Am prayerful that President Xi doesn't read this forum or we're all goners.

republion

Oct 29, 2021
It’s easier than you think. According to US Rep Hank Johnson, if everyone in the world simply took a trip to the same location- say Australia- the earth would tilt off its axis and move from its current orbit due to the additional weight.

kgilbert78

Oct 25, 2021
American SF author Stanley Schmidt wrote a series about this back in the 1970s: "The Sins of the Fathers". He was also a professor of physics at Heidelberg College (the one in the US), so he knew what he was talking about. For those who like SF, it's worth looking up.

Reactions: step.eng69