Humility Month…

Trojan JST

Aug 24, 2017
The topic of this thread was humility. This is not humility. It’s sinful pride, as if you know enough to judge. I, for one, do NOT know that all liberal democrats are going to hell. That is God’s judgement alone to make, and anyone who tries in His place is in danger themselves. Your post is in poor taste given the topic of the OP, and is part of why one poster called this sort of discussion poison in the air. Please help us to keep a touchy subject as religion at least civil. And if you are a Christian, comport yourself in such a way as to be a better witness to others of Christ’s humility and compassion. Thank you!
IETrojanFan:

Some posts are parody.

Some posts are mocking.

Some posts are in poor taste.

Some posts are to spur thought.

All posts are civil (for this era) and reframe from unprovoked personal attacks. All bets are off, if you want a fight.

NONE (posts) refrain from “touchy” subjects or public individuals. Hypocrites are my favorite. White liberal democrats, are a close second.

Today’s liberal democrat can barely (in good conscience) cite the pledge of allegiance, let alone pray to a higher power. (most call God) Being a liberal democrat (in today’s world) is the polar opposite of what you and most others cite as core beliefs of the religious or Godly.

I’m sure there will be a few, entering those “Pearly Gates,” not many from this generation or era.

The definition of the word “civil,” has has long since changed.

Being ”civil,” when the other side‘s intent is to destroy you, is suicide.

Our country (America) has been divided and is in a culture war.

When this transitions beyond a culture war, the words will not matter, only actions.

Lastly; being a “Christian” or for that matter a religious person, (to include ALL of the worlds religions) ALL are imperfect humans, NONE are perfect.

”you can only serve, ONE master.” Choose wisely.

Humility and compassion is NOT what overcomes evil.

“Can’t reason with evil. Evil wants, what it wants, won’t stop until, it’s won or you kill it. “Killing evil requires being meaner than evil, and still being able to love your family and enjoy the sun rise.” - Yellowstone

History shows…

1) humans can be “pushed” only so far and a reaction will result.
2) humans do evil things to weaker humans.

It’s an exciting time in human history to be alive, and want to be around, to see how this chapter plays out.

Much respect to you.

Last edited:

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
IETrojanFan:

Some posts are parody.

Some posts are mocking.

All posts are civil (for this era) and reframe from unprovoked personal attacks. All bets are off, if you want a fight.

NONE (posts) refrain from “touchy” subjects or public individuals. Hypocrites are my favorite. White liberal democrats, are a close second.

Today’s liberal democrat can barely (in good conscience) cite the pledge of allegiance, let alone pray to a higher power. (most call God) Being a liberal democrat (in today’s world) is the polar opposite of what you and most others cite as core beliefs of the religious or Godly.

I’m sure there will be a few, entering those “Pearly Gates,” not many from this generation or era.

When this transitions beyond a culture war, the words will not matter, only actions.

Lastly; being a “Christian” or for that matter a religious person, (to include ALL of the worlds religions) ALL are imperfect humans, NONE are perfect.

“Can’t reason with evil. Evil wants, what it wants, won’t stop until, it’s won or you kill it. “Killing evil requires being meaner than evil, and still being able to love your family and enjoy the sun rise.” - Yellowstone

History shows…

It’s an exciting time in human history to be alive, and want to be around, to see how this chapter plays out.

Much respect to you.
JMO, this just wasn’t the thread for that type of posting. Some try and maintain an apolitical nature.
A little restraint goes a long way.

Again, jmo

IETrojanFan

Aug 24, 2017
IETrojanFan:

Some posts are parody.

Some posts are mocking.

”you can only serve, ONE master.” Choose wisely.

History shows…

Much respect to you.
Much respect to you in return. I suspect that we align to the right politically. However, not every post/thread need turn political. I believe in trying to make posts match the spirit of the OP as much as possible (yes, there are threads that have meandered into so many topics that's not possible, but this one is relatively new, so it shouldn't be hard to stay on course for a while).

That said, I will dispute your claim that humility and compassion is not what overcomes evil. Christ Jesus, while He was on this earth, displayed perfect humility and compassion, and it overcame ALL evil. I, as His follower, am called by Him to mimic Him and live in His image. After all, His humility and compassion won ME over... I, who am the greatest of all sinners, nothing but a worm.

No, humility and compassion will not win over political evils. But that's not what this thread is about. This thread is actually the best religious discussion I've had on these forums going back to about 2006 when I joined, so I don't want that ruined. I'm sure you understand. :)

Thanks!

SC200SC

Aug 24, 2017
Much respect to you in return. I suspect that we align to the right politically. However, not every post/thread need turn political. I believe in trying to make posts match the spirit of the OP as much as possible (yes, there are threads that have meandered into so many topics that's not possible, but this one is relatively new, so it shouldn't be hard to stay on course for a while).

That said, I will dispute your claim that humility and compassion is not what overcomes evil. Christ Jesus, while He was on this earth, displayed perfect humility and compassion, and it overcame ALL evil. I, as His follower, am called by Him to mimic Him and live in His image. After all, His humility and compassion won ME over... I, who am the greatest of all sinners, nothing but a worm.

No, humility and compassion will not win over political evils. But that's not what this thread is about. This thread is actually the best religious discussion I've had on these forums going back to about 2006 when I joined, so I don't want that ruined. I'm sure you understand. :)

Thanks!
I read the various posts that Trojan JST posted. I had to let them settle in before I commented on them. I sort of had to stir them together with what you have said, what Troyinception has said, and several others. So they have been baking in the oven for a few days and now I would like to respond;

First of all, there are some very thoughtful posts here, and certainly sincere including from those who approve of transgenderism.

And that was my first thought, that Trojan JST is just as sincere. The idea that JST lacked humility, just wasn't working for me either. And I realized that JST is angry. When I consider the new California bill AB957 setting up parents to have their children removed from the home if they don't affirm a child's gender dysphoria, I became angry too. And I haven't lived in California for 4 years.

Then I read what IE writes about Jesus displaying perfect humility and compassion, I thought, "Well I can't disagree with that, BUT...".

And it is a big "BUT" regarding Jesus. I have been recently teaching on the great debates in the Gospel of John. They are prefaced with a conversation with Nicodemus that produced (perhaps) the greatest verse in the New Testament, John 3:16 "For God so LOVED the world that he gave His only begotten son .." It was that son Jesus who is quoted in John 3.

Jesus said this right after rebuking Nicodemus. Jesus went on to rebuke the woman at the well, the woman caught in adultery, and over and over again, the contrary Pharisees. These men were not only religious leaders but political leaders as well. And Jesus let them have it, and in many cases, I would say harshly.

We would all agree that Jesus loved these guys, but He expressed His love in harsh rebuke. I see JSTs posts are also harsh rebuke, generated by what I think is righteous anger.

Yes, JSTs delivery was different than the previous tone of the thread, but it was an important demonstration of the growing anger surrounding this issue.

I strongly believe that the Left is demanding that somehow true Christian love should affirm this grievous sin rather than rebuke it, and that is unacceptable. Jesus made it clear when He spoke to Moses as the Logos in the Old Testament, that what we see today is indeed grievous, and I believe His rebuke would be clear today.

The reason I accept JSTs rebukes is because the next rebuke from Jesus will be in the form of wrath, and it will be anything but humble and compassionate. So I see JSTs anger as understandable and I pray that his expression of that anger would have love attached to it. The love that desires that no man perish, but come to everlasting life.

Trojan JST

Aug 24, 2017

Thanks!
IETrojanFan:

Paragraph 1, 100% agree.

Paragraph 2, about 95% agree. My deviation is…
I see myself as a typical beach “life guard.” In the water; are many individuals who are drowning. My time is limited and valuable, can only swim so far and for so long. Therefore, I direct my efforts, toward those who are interested (open minded to) in being saved.

Those rejecting my efforts, those who mock and those who are impersonating a “lifeguard,“ I’m more than capable, happy to engage, correct and resolve the situation, moving on and not give a second thought. IMO the current climate requires “simon peter” individuals, hardcore, who defiantly not perfect. (“Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”)

Paragraph 3. Concur.

✌️😎

Trojan JST

Aug 24, 2017
I read the various posts that Trojan JST posted. I had to let them settle in before I commented on them. I sort of had to stir them together with what you have said, what Troyinception has said, and several others. So they have been baking in the oven for a few days and now I would like to respond;

First of all, there are some very thoughtful posts here, and certainly sincere including from those who approve of transgenderism.

And that was my first thought, that Trojan JST is just as sincere. The idea that JST lacked humility, just wasn't working for me either. And I realized that JST is angry. When I consider the new California bill AB957 setting up parents to have their children removed from the home if they don't affirm a child's gender dysphoria, I became angry too. And I haven't lived in California for 4 years.

Then I read what IE writes about Jesus displaying perfect humility and compassion, I thought, "Well I can't disagree with that, BUT...".

And it is a big "BUT" regarding Jesus. I have been recently teaching on the great debates in the Gospel of John. They are prefaced with a conversation with Nicodemus that produced (perhaps) the greatest verse in the New Testament, John 3:16 "For God so LOVED the world that he gave His only begotten son .." It was that son Jesus who is quoted in John 3.

Jesus said this right after rebuking Nicodemus. Jesus went on to rebuke the woman at the well, the woman caught in adultery, and over and over again, the contrary Pharisees. These men were not only religious leaders but political leaders as well. And Jesus let them have it, and in many cases, I would say harshly.

We would all agree that Jesus loved these guys, but He expressed His love in harsh rebuke. I see JSTs posts are also harsh rebuke, generated by what I think is righteous anger.

Yes, JSTs delivery was different than the previous tone of the thread, but it was an important demonstration of the growing anger surrounding this issue.

I strongly believe that the Left is demanding that somehow true Christian love should affirm this grievous sin rather than rebuke it, and that is unacceptable. Jesus made it clear when He spoke to Moses as the Logos in the Old Testament, that what we see today is indeed grievous, and I believe His rebuke would be clear today.

The reason I accept JSTs rebukes is because the next rebuke from Jesus will be in the form of wrath, and it will be anything but humble and compassionate. So I see JSTs anger as understandable and I pray that his expression of that anger would have love attached to it. The love that desires that no man perish, but come to everlasting life.

SC200SC:

Much respect to you, well said and spot on.

“You and I, shall meet, on that beautiful shore.”

✌️😎

DaFireMedic

Aug 24, 2017
I too, wanted to keep the discussion as apolitical as possible. But LGBTQ has become an idol with extreme pressure being put on all to bow before it, much like Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego. We must not bow.

“If this be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver us out of your hand, O king. But if not, be it known to you, O king, that we will not serve your gods or worship the golden image that you have set up.”
-Daniel 3:17,18

Moon4Cimoli

Aug 31, 2021
Everybody here is Roman Catholic, I am surmising. Roman Catholicism is the one and only true church of Christ, as I understand it.

• Wow
Reactions: Pudly76

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
You are correct, ultimately. There will be no such thing as denominations in heaven. They exist on earth because we humans are weak and sinful and can never totally agree on even some of the most important matters. To God Who knows, the only denomination is His flock.
I had a very distinguished relative who was an Abbott in an extremely conservative order. He had the highest level of respect for his close friends Billy Graham and Robert Schuler.

Were any of you educated in the faith prior to the Second Ecumenical Council?

Rodgarnay51

Aug 24, 2017
We have both mentioned before that you can do everything right, and your child can still make bad choices and decisions. I used the example of Adam and Eve, who had the perfect parent, yet they still sinned. We need to be diligent to “Train up a child in the way he should go”, but it can be a natural reaction to blame ourselves (or our spouses) when our children make bad decisions. We need to be wary of that as it can consume someone, as I saw in some friends in the first few months after their children identified as gay.

Where I disagree is that whatever our children are is who they were meant to be. I have a friend whose son was an alcoholic who beat his wife and eventually died way too young of an alcohol related cause. Obviously, that’s not who or what God meant him to be.

Right now, my son is rejecting God’s love, and that’s not what he was meant to do or be. He’s making his own decisions. He’s doing things that God has called sin, and even though we all sin, God has called us to repentance. My son has embraced his sin at the moment, and it’s a path that the Bible says will not end well for him if he continues down it.

He knows the right path, so we don’t chide him on it or it will just push him farther away. We pray for him, and we make sure that he knows he is loved and that we are here to help him, and that we are here when he wants to talk. And he sometimes does, but we let him decide when those times are. But we also do not give approval to his bad choices and actions, because we know where it will eventually lead if he remains on that path.

So anyway, along the lines of the OP, it is certainly humbling to be in situations such as this where you don’t have control. But I also know that God allows things so that we will trust in Him and not lean on our own understanding.
Keep praying and don’t give up DaFireMedic. I’ve seen some of God’s handiwork in my son (in addition to myself). Without going into the gory details of the last 25 years of addiction including fentanyl withdrawal twice within the last two years, I’ve seen him give his life to Christ and turn around to the point that I’m not constantly worried about him. 🙏❤️✝️

Rodgarnay51

Aug 24, 2017
Well, thankfully, you aren't the one making that decision. But good luck following all the instructions in the Old Testament to avoid Hell. I'm good. Thanks.
While I strongly disagree with you in other areas regarding LGBTQ, I agree with much if not all in this post.

I actually have several friends going through similar circumstances, both with trans identification and homosexuality in an adult child. It is certainly difficult and humbling for them, especially at first.

One of my children has chosen a path of a different kind, has gotten into some things that I strongly disagree with, as it is contrary to scripture and what he was taught growing up. But my wife and I are careful to make sure that he knows that we love him regardless and not to allow a wall to go up between us and him. Once that goes up, it becomes extremely difficult to get it back down. He knows that we disagree with the choices he has been making, but he also knows that we still love him just the same. So we pray for God to work in him, take care of the things that we cannot, and draw my son back to Himself.

One thing I do know is that God is good and kind and rich in mercy.
I do believe there is something in the Bible that references, "Don't add to or take away from". and anyone who does' "let them be cursed."

Seems pretty straight forward.
Exactly. Wish I had it memorized.

Moon4Cimoli

Aug 31, 2021
The Protestant Reformation was started by a virulent anti Semite, whose writings were used by Hitler to justify the Holocaust.

Roman Catholic popes were some of the most malignant fornicators there were, and to this day, Catholic hierarchy is very suspect.

The Bible was written by men. Men are flawed. There is no way to know whether the Bible is the truth. It must be taken on faith. When we seek religion, we really seek faith. Without faith, there is no religion. When we say Christianity is the way, we take it on faith.

Reactions: Dardantrojan

TroyInception

Jul 4, 2020
The Bible was written by men. Men are flawed. There is no way to know whether the Bible is the truth. It must be taken on faith. When we seek religion, we really seek faith. Without faith, there is no religion. When we say Christianity is the way, we take it on faith.
Men may be flawed, but the Holy Spirit is infallible…

The Spirit is what receives and recognizes what is truth, good, hope, faith and love. Not the five bodily senses…

One cannot have a strong belief in God without His grace…

So when we say Christianity is the way, the Holy Spirit has revealed it in us.

Remember, Faith is always prior to understanding. It’s a gift.

Moon4Cimoli

Aug 31, 2021

The Spirit is what receives and recognizes what is truth, good, hope, faith and love. Not the five bodily senses…

And yet most Christians

Most American Christians do not believe in The Holy Spirit. They also do not believe in a Satan.

shane2020

Jan 23, 2020
I should say non-denominational. I didn’t mean to imply Catholics aren’t Christians.

Here’s what puzzles me. I’ve had a good number of Catholics make a distinction between Catholics and Christians, which I’ve always assumed is the label they use for Protestants. The next time it happens I will ask for clarification.

IETrojanFan

Aug 24, 2017
And yet most Christians

Most American Christians do not believe in The Holy Spirit. They also do not believe in a Satan.
Those American Christians had better start reading their Bibles, then! Unless they don't believe the Bible is truly God's Word, but is just written by men; to that, I can't say much. Except pray for faith to believe.

Moon4Cimoli

Aug 31, 2021
That’s shocking, if it’s accurate.

Moon4Cimoli

Aug 31, 2021
I have another question. If one believes that through faith, prayer, and piety, one will have eternal life and will meet for eternity in heaven with loved ones, why does one fear death? Why do we cling to life here on earth?

Moon4Cimoli

Aug 31, 2021
Here’s what puzzles me. I’ve had a good number of Catholics make a distinction between Catholics and Christians, which I’ve always assumed is the label they use for Protestants. The next time it happens I will ask for clarification.
A Catholic believes in the Eucharist, and Mass is basically a celebration of the consecration of bread and wine into the body and blood of Christ. Most Protestants do not.

I get a little squeamish when different denominations tell others how to get to heaven, when in fact all Christians pick and choose parts of the Bible that support their individual beliefs. o

Gold Trojan

Aug 27, 2017

Which explains why most "Christians" live any way they please. If there is not an eternal consequence to ones actions, why not?

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
A Catholic believes in the Eucharist, and Mass is basically a celebration of the consecration of bread and wine into the body and blood of Christ. Most Protestants do not.
I think the difference is somewhat similar to the issue involving the Holy Spirit.

Catholics, as I was told by a priest, believe the bread and wine to be the actual body and blood of Christ, whereas Christians, in general, do not. Similarly, the "majority of American Christians" that you referenced WRT the Holy Spirit, believe in HIM, but not as an actual human embodiment. Rather, they see the Holy Spirit as a symbol.

First, I do think it's important to note that the definition used for determining a Christian is pretty broad and depends on self-identification. Only 6% of the majority mentioned, identify themselves as having a "biblical worldview".

“‘Christian’ has become somewhat of a generic term rather than a name that reflects a deep commitment to passionately pursuing and being like Jesus Christ."

I think that ^^^ is likely true which is also likely why.....
, why does one fear death? Why do we cling to life here on earth?

However, humans tend to fear the unknown. We don't like physical pain or suffering. We don't like to miss out on things. We love to be around family and friends.

And because life is damn precious.

Reactions: DaFireMedic

Moon4Cimoli

Aug 31, 2021
My thoughts on religion and homosexuality. I am w Aimee on this. I judge that homosexuality is not a sin. Virtually all other sins/frailities can be overcome with prayer, devotion, and sacrifice. Adultery, avarice, promiscuity, alcoholism, drug use, coveting, hate, neglect, all “cured” w prayer. God allows man to be afflicted by sin and fraility, and offers prayer as a cure for all but homosexuality? Then it isn’t a sin.

If adult 2 men or 2 afult women follow the same precript as for heterosexual love; fidelity, honesty, forthrightness etc, there is no sin.

If you believe in Satan or evil, then I would make a case that it is Satan or evil that is telling good Christians that gays are sinners. Those awkward passages in the Bible? Satan at work.

Last edited:

shane2020

Jan 23, 2020
I have another question. If one believes that through faith, prayer, and piety, one will have eternal life and will meet for eternity in heaven with loved ones, why does one fear death? Why do we cling to life here on earth?

Paul said:

55 O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?

56 The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law.

57 But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Christians should not fear death. As another poster already mentioned, most of us would prefer to avoid pain. My father suffered tremendous pain from cancer. He’s happy with Jesus now.

Gold Trojan

Aug 27, 2017
My thoughts on religion and homosexuality. I am w Aimee on this. I judge that homosexuality is not a sin. Virtually all other sins/frailities can be overcome with prayer, devotion, and sacrifice. Adultery, avarice, promiscuity, alcoholism, drug use, coveting, hate, neglect, all “cured” w prayer. God allows man to be afflicted by sin and fraility, and offers prayer as a cure for all but homosexuality? Then it isn’t a sin.

If adult 2 men or 2 afult women follow the same precript as for heterosexual love; fidelity, honesty, forthrightness etc, there is no sin.

If you believe in Satan or evil, then I would make a case that it is Satan or evil that is telling good Christians that gays are sinners. Those awkward passages in the Bible? Satan at work.
To reject certain portions of scripture is to reject the scripture itself. Christianity is faith. It does not seek validation from humanistic sources. It stands by itself. While everyone can label themselves with whatever title they choose, the Bible is the sole authority of Christianity (follower of Christ).

Simply taking a position, does not make it so. To be a Christian, is to be Christ-like. To be Christ-like is to believe and trust His word. Regardless of how that makes me feel. And regardless of how that fits with societies perspectives.

John 1:1, "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."

Psalms 119:89, "For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven."

Matthew 5:18, "For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled."

Galatians 1:8-9, "But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.
As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

Last edited:

DaFireMedic

Aug 24, 2017
And yet most Christians

If they don’t believe in the Holy Spirit or Satan, then they may not be Christians at all. The Bible is not ambiguous at all on these two.

“Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’”
Matthew 7:22,23

Mr.roltrojan

Aug 7, 2018
If they don’t believe in the Holy Spirit or Satan, then they may not be Christians at all. The Bible is not ambiguous at all on these two.

“Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’”
Matthew 7:22,23
Come on somebody

Reactions: Pudly76

Latest posts