Hunter Hines

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
You said “Hines’ tools are valuable in the big leagues” like he has more than one tool. Unless you’re talking about his johnson, he only has one tool that he excels in. Singular. He can, under the right circumstances, hit for power to RF. That’s not a special ability for a LH hitter. That’s it.

You think he’s a Top 10 round pick? Great. That’s not what I’d call a high draft pick but whatever. He can certainly get taken in the Top 10 rounds if he’ll sign at a discount. Doesn’t make him a generational talent or anything.

what you call a top 10’draft pick… or a pro scouts and pro organization?

I think I’ll take the pros opinion as yours means almost nothing. He’ll get drafted after this season, he’ll get his slot money, he won’t need a discount and he’ll go very high.

his power is an elite tool. He’s hit 38’homers in two seasons in the sec. It’s elite. His ability to hit for average is almost not to be discounted. He got a body. he’s not as bad defensively or athletically as you think.

but again I put my money where my mouth is. He’ll go top 10 if not top 5. And there is no way he falls out of the top 15.

seems like your not as confident of your opinions as you act when it’s actually time to put up or shut up

Last edited:

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
what you call a top 10’draft pick… or a pro scouts and pro organization?

I think I’ll take the pros opinion as your last means almost nothing. He’ll get drafted after this season, he’ll get his slot money, he won’t need a discount and he’ll go very high.
Top 10-15 rounds is “very high”?

If that’s your definition, then I don’t disagree that he will go in that range.

But you have been hilariously contradicting yourself. He was “projected Top 3 rounds out of high school”, but now he’s only Top 10-15 rounds? So……what happened? He had a disappointing college career? Got exposed against LH pitching?
his power is an elite tool. He’s hit 38’homers in two seasons in the sec. It’s elite. His ability to hit for average is almost not to be discounted. He got a body. he’s not as bad defensively or athletically as you think.
It’s elite when he actually hits the baseball, which is on fastballs on the inner half from RH pitchers. That makes him a great matchup / platoon player, but not really a great every day option.

but again I put my money where my mouth is. He’ll go top 10 if not top 5. And there is no way he falls out of the top 15.
Well as I’ve said multiple times I don’t disagree he can go in the same range. I mean, we’re talking about the range where guys like Kamren James, KC Hunt, Jackson Fristoe, and Preston Smith got taken. That’s not uncharted territory.

seems like your not as confident of your opinions as you act when it’s actually time to put up or shut up

LOL. Again, point me in the direction of the sports book that’s taking bets on Hunter Hines going in the Top 15 rounds….and we can both go make some money. Apparently “high draft pick” to you means he gets taken in the Top 15 rounds of a 20 round draft. Maybe take a step back and re-evaluate your own position my man.

Reactions: patdog

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I haven’t contradicted myself.
I’ve said very high. I’ve said top 10 rounds. Most likely top 5. He won’t slip out of the top 10. He won’t need to take a discount

I said he was protected top 3. Projected doenst mean it’ll actually happen. I don’t buy into projections to that degree. He hasn’t played his way aout of anything. If anything he’s shown his power tool is even more elite.

It’s comical you said when he hits it. No one at the professional level cares about strikeouts. He walks a lot, he hits for power, and he’s been a 300 hitter in the sec. Hes a much more polished hitter than you think.

guys that hit 300, and an ops north of 1000 and hit 20 homers in the sec don’t grow on trees… that’s what Hines is.

bets on the table… I know I won’t have to worry about you taking it. You just like to argue

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Hines is the same player today he was when he walked in in 2021. Period. Which is OK I guess, just not for our cleanup hitter.

Need to move Mershon and DJ up to 1-2. After that doesn’t matter. Adopt a 2017 attitude.
So a 300 hitter that hits 20 homers isn’t good enough to be our clean up hitter. Wow. He also hits sec pitching well too, he hasn’t padded his stats with the mid week games and struggled in the sec like some hitters we have.

sign me up a guy like Hines hitting 4th in every line up for the rest of time.

I’ll enjoy bumping this thread when he has a 4-5 homer weekend

Reactions: 3dawgnight

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
So a 300 hitter that hits 20 homers isn’t good enough to be our clean up hitter. Wow. He also hits sec pitching well too, he hasn’t padded his stats with the mid week games and struggled in the sec like some hitters we have.

We all said the same about Yellum Clark too. He never got better. Good player, but never made the jump. He will get drafted and all will be fine.

But he ain’t a Renfroe, Rooker, Allen, etc. DJ is the only one who might be.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
We all said the same about Yellum Clark too. He never got better. Good player, but never made the jump. He will get drafted and all will be fine.

Clark was never on Hines level.

renfroe was a 1st rounder. Rooker was hitter of the year. Of course Hines isn’t that. But he’s nothing like Clark was

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

He literally strikes out 25% of the time against college pitching. ALL college pitching. Not just SEC aces. I could easily name 10-15 MSU players from just the past 20-25 years with as much or more power as Hines who never sniffed MLB. And most of those guys could do a lot more than just hit for power.

OK. Sign me up for Tanner Allen, RJ Yeager, Brian Wiese, Richard Lee, Connor Powers, Ed Easley, and many others instead.

Shít, me too. Let’s see it. Will it be this weekend, or do we have to wait until A&M?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Clark was never on Hines level.

renfroe was a 1st rounder. Rooker was hitter of the year. Of course Hines isn’t that. But he’s nothing like Clark was
You said he’d be a high draft pick. Define that. Top 5 rounds? You’d think he’d need to hit 330 and with his size and defensive limitations, at least an OPS of 1100

Reactions: Perd Hapley

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

Ehhhh….disagree.

Kellum Clark generally got better every year.

From 2021-2023:
-OPS went from .849 to .940
-K rate went from 28% to 22%
-AVG went from .237 to .300

Clark’s biggest crime was that he never entered that TA / Rooker tier, but he was still pretty damn good all things considered. Not sure he did anything to earn that stolen-from-GenesPage nickname above.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Ehhhh….disagree.

From 2021-2023:

Clark’s biggest crime was that he never entered that TA / Rooker tier, but he was still pretty damn good all things considered. Not sure he did anything to earn that stolen-from-GenesPage nickname above.
I get what you mean. But I’m looking for the big jumps.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I get what you mean. But I’m looking for the big jumps.
I see. But, the historical “big jumps” are as follows:

1) Hunter Renfroe (2012-2013)
2) Brent Rooker (2016-2017)
3) Jordan Westburg (2019-2020). Less obvious one here due to the shortened season, but it happened.

Even TA didn’t ever have a herculean leap in production. He was real good as a freshmen and then just made small and steady jumps each year after.

Overall, its hard to hate on a guy just because he didn’t turn out to develop into a 1st round draft pick.

Reactions: Hailstate#1

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I haven’t contradicted myself.
Well……see below
I’ve said very high. I’ve said top 10 rounds.
So the top 50% of picks is “very high”. This is a silly and very arbitrary judgmen, but I’ll just stop there.

Most likely top 5.
Ha….now we’re talking. Top 5 rounds? Is this “the bet”? Or is it Top 10? Or is it Top 15? Because you’ve said all 3. Your “most likely” judgment has changed from Top 10 rounds to Top 5 round just since your last post. And Top 5 rounds still isn’t even all that high, and its well within the “anything can happen” range with signing bonus discounts and what not. But, its at least closer to your original description.
I said he was protected top 3. Projected doenst mean it’ll actually happen. I don’t buy into projections to that degree.

If you don’t buy it, then why are you using it to support your own argument? This is getting beyond confusing. And where are these projections, anyways

It’s comical you said when he hits it. No one at the professional level cares about strikeouts.
They damn sure care about strikeouts when thats all a player can do against a certain pitcher or pitch type. And if you can’t hit LH pitching or any off speed pitches AT ALL even against college pitching, it doesn’t bode well for your MLB prospects.

guys that hit 300, and an ops north of 1000 and hit 20 homers in the sec don’t grow on trees… that’s what Hines is.
There are currently 21 players in the SEC with 6 or more homers. Two of which were in the same lineup with Hines last season. Hines has one HR and one XBH against the pitching from nonconference teams that you yourself have been a broken record of saying are an enbarrassment to MSU, the SEC, etc. No further comment needed unless you need links of your own comments about the pitching of AF, Austin Peay, etc.

bets on the table… I know I won’t have to worry about you taking it. You just like to argue
Is it? What is it? Hines will get drafted somewhere between Rounds 1 and 20? Because you’ve been all over the place. And you’re one that flew into the rescue when someone else was commenting on Hines’ lack of production….don’t call me out for arguing. Your obsession with Hines is weird and a bit off-putting.

Last edited:

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
You said he’d be a high draft pick. Define that. Top 5 rounds? You’d think he’d need to hit 330 and with his size and defensive limitations, at least an OPS of 1100
Pro scouts don’t worry about stats… or they don’t say this person didn’t hit 15 homers we can’t draft him.

I feel confident in top 10. Think top 5 is a real possibility

his size is a plus not a limitation.

Last edited:

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Ehhhh….disagree.

From 2021-2023:

Well……see below

So the top 50% of picks is “very high”. This is a silly and very arbitrary judgmen, but I’ll just stop there.

Ha….now we’re talking. Top 5 rounds? Is this “the bet”? Or is it Top 10? Or is it Top 15? Because you’ve said all 3. Your “most likely” judgment has changed from Top 10 rounds to Top 5 round just since your last post. And Top 5 rounds still isn’t even all that high, and its well within the “anything can happen” range with signing bonus discounts and what not. But, its at least closer to your original description.

If you don’t buy it, then why are you using it to support your own argument? This is getting beyond confusing. And where are these projections, anyways

They damn sure care about strikeouts when thats all a player can do against a certain pitcher or pitch type. And if you can’t hit LH pitching or any off speed pitches AT ALL even against college pitching, it doesn’t bode well for your MLB prospects.

There are currently 21 players in the SEC with 6 or more homers. Two of which were in the same lineup with Hines last season. Hines has one HR and one XBH against the pitching from nonconference teams that you yourself have been a broken record of saying are an enbarrassment to MSU, the SEC, etc. No further comment needed unless you need links of your own comments about the pitching of AF, Austin Peay, etc.

Is it? What is it? Hines will get drafted somewhere between Rounds 1 and 20? Because you’ve been all over the place.
Again you’re looking at 18 games. Tell me what he did for the 115 he played previous to this year.

the start is slow but again what he’s done in the past is worth more than an 18 game stretch.

Again I’ll bet as much money as you want and I’ll make it easy on you.

rounds 5 and under— I win
Rounds 6-10 is a push
Anything after round 10- you win

I’ll bet as much money as you want to bet, easy to do. We’ll find someone to hold the money. Can Venmo or whatever… In june someone will collect. Name your price.

Should be an easy bet since you know more than pro scouts and organizations and don’t think he’s a top 5 pick. At worst with your evaluation your pushing, should be a slam dunk bet for you….or you just here to argue?

Last edited:

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007

3) Jordan Westburg (2019-2020). Less obvious one here due to the shortened season, but it happened.

Even TA didn’t ever have a herculean leap in production. He was real good as a freshmen and then just made small and steady jumps each year after.

Overall, its hard to hate on a guy just because he didn’t turn out to develop into a 1st round draft pick.
My 1980-1981 qualifies I think. .260 w 8HRs to .341 w 29 HRs. Some of that was due to I was making swing changes in year 1 and the start of year 2. I hit 7 HRs over the last 20 games in 80 and raised my batting average about 50 points. We got it dialed in.

Last edited:

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
My 1980-1981 qualifies I think. .260 w 8HRs to .341 w 29 HRs. Some of that was due to I was making swing changes in year 1 and the start of year 2. I hit 7 HRs over the last 20 games in 80 and raised my batting average about 50 points. We got it dialed in.
Duly noted. KC did not quite hit the Renfroe / Rooker / Westburg / Castoria god tier. But I think he still progressed pretty well.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Again you’re looking at 18 games. Tell me what he did for the 115 he played previous to this year.

the start is slow but again what he’s done in the past is worth more than an 18 game stretch.

Again I’ll bet as much money as you want and I’ll make it easy on you.

rounds 5 and under— I win
Rounds 6-10 is a push
Anything after round 10- you win

I’ll bet as much money as you want to bet, easy to do. We’ll find someone to hold the money. Can Venmo or whatever… In june someone will collect. Name your price.

Should be an easy bet since you know more than pro scouts and organizations and don’t think he’s a top 5 pick. At worst with your evaluation your pushing, should be a slam dunk bet for you….or you just here to argue?
Well I think the most likely outcome is rounds 6-10, and have no interest at all in betting on something where the most likely outcome is a push for me, so no thanks. And that’s not “very high” as a draft pick, either.

You’ve moved the goal posts so much in this thread and changed your assessment so much that its impossible for you to be wrong or right. I’d much rather make a bet with someone who actually commits to a stance on something. What you call “arguing” I call just asking questions to get someone to clarify what the hell they’re even talking about.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Pro scouts don’t worry about stats… or they don’t say this person didn’t hit 15 homers we can’t draft him.

LOL. Then why the hell do you keep reciting his stats and telling us how many HR’s he’s hit in 118 games, telling us he hit .300 in SEC, etc.? Do you even hear yourself?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

There's a lot more than that. Doesn't have to be their last year, but just a marked improvement. Adam Frazier did this. Funny enough, Mangum is one who didn't really improve. BUT.......when you're hitting at the clip he did, you don't have to. And that's what I'm talking about, to be a high draft pick it seems you need to come in and have that year or years where you're hitting .330 or better, unless you have other tools (Logan Tanner for example with being a plus catcher). And don't clue in on Mangum specifically here, he obviously didn't have the power numbers to be a top pick, like others. But the point is to have that big year to propel you to your potential.

Having showcase measurables will get you drafted. But you have to produce to be a high draft pick like @HuntDawg thinks will happen. And guys like Kellum Clark, while he technically improved, he never jumped to that category where he was a formidable force. You need to the batting average to go with the high OPS/HRs. Because if you don't, you're likely striking out too much in the college game.

All those metrics about striking out being OK as long as you're blasting bombs is all well and good in MLB against elite pitching. Doesn't work as well in college where you're not playing nearly as many games and on a different schedule.

Reactions: Perd Hapley

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Lane Forsythe .340 avg, 1 hr, 9 runs, 12 rbi

Slate Alford .369 avg, 7 hr, 22 runs, 25 rbi

2022 Josh Hatcher .391 avg, 15 hr, 66 runs, 59 rbi

I know nothing about coaching baseball to anyone over 10 years old… but seems we’re doing the hitting part wrong when you see this kind of improvement from guys who transfer out.
This.
Hatcher dropped level. He went from seeing 92-95 on a regular basis to seeing 85-88. Anyone can see with that big long swing how that would be benefical to him.

Nice theory, but Hatcher already advanced to AA Frisco within his first full season of pro ball where he hit a respectable .261 with a .724 OPS in his first 50 games at AA. And AA pitching is way better than any college level.

Side note, he's another first baseman from State in the Rangers org... Palmerio, Clark, Moreland, Lowe, and potentially Hatcher? That's downright weird.

1000013080.png

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Nice theory, but Hatcher already advanced to AA Frisco within his first full season of pro ball where he hit a respectable .261 with a .724 OPS in his first 50 games at AA. And AA pitching is way better than any college level.
I'll never understand what happened with Hatcher. He came in as part of that heralded group of freshmen in 2018, and was considered perhaps the best. There was about 6 of them m17ers, all just typical Cohen recruits. And then Cannizaro added Allen, which was obviously big.

Started as a freshman, and really every season after that, but just could not hold on to his job. Seems like I heard KSU moved him to the OF, maybe that was the answer. I see where Alford moved to 2B, wonder why we couldn't come up with something like that?

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006
I'll never understand what happened with Hatcher. He came in as part of that heralded group of freshmen in 2018, and was considered perhaps the best. There was about 6 of them m17ers, all just typical Cohen recruits. And then Cannizaro added Allen, which was obviously big.

Started as a freshman, and really every season after that, but just could not hold on to his job. Seems like I heard KSU moved him to the OF, maybe that was the answer. I see where Alford moved to 2B, wonder why we couldn't come up with something like that?
Because the fact of the matter is
Cannizzaro was going to coach hitting like he did with Rooker and he brought in Gotro to recruit and have the title of hitting coach

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I see where Alford moved to 2B, wonder why we couldn't come up with something like that?
I think mainly just because of Larry, who you have to put somewhere. He doesn’t have the arm for SS/3B, and we really had no one besides Alford / Mershon / Forsythe last year who could play either of the left side infield spots. And Forsythe of course struggled, got benched, and left us with only Alford and Mershon.

UGA likely had different pieces to work with which allowed him to go to 2B.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
will love bumping this thread all year long. Remember guys Hines isn’t any good. Can only hit inside fastballs from a right handed pitcher. Expert scouting report on these boards

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Hines home run to left????

nah impossible, someone here who knows more than pro scouts says all he can do is hit homers to right???

must have been a mix up???

4 homers in 4 sec games

going to be fun bumping this thread all season

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Hines home run to left????

nah impossible, someone here who knows more than pro scouts says all he can do is hit homers to right???

must have been a mix up???

4 homers in 4 sec games

going to be fun bumping this thread all season
You must have had me confused for someone who didn’t think Hines could hit home runs, or thought he should be benched. That wasn’t me. He hit another bomb off a righty with the bases empty in the bottom of the 8th with us down 4. That’s something he’s going to get a lot of chances to do.

This whole thing started when you said he’d be a really high draft pick. His outlook hasn’t changed. He’s documented by everyone in the scouting community to struggle against LH pitching, and against off-speed pitches, with K’s / chasing, and to be a mostly pull guy that you can shift against to keep him off the bases on anything in play. Its fantastic that he hit a HR last weekend off a lefty. He might even have 4-5 others in his career off lefties (out of 40ish HR’s). Blind squirrels and acorns and what not. Even a .100 hitter gets a hit once every 10 times. You’re the guy finding that 10% case and holding it up as the norm, when its actually the exception.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Documented in the scouting community…… hahahahahahahahaha

tell us moreeeeeeeee

again going to be a fun bump all season. So far homer off a lefty which was told he can’t do, and homer to left which was told he can’t do. All in 4 games after this take was posted. very fun to continue to post.

MStateU

Nov 15, 2009

tell us moreeeeeeeee

again going to be a fun bump all season. So far homer off a lefty which was told he can’t do, and homer to left which was told he can’t do. All in 4 games after this take was posted. very fun to continue to post.
I hope you have reason to keep bumping. I hope he hits 100. Rub it in our face Hines.

I still feel like we need to have Mershon leadoff and DJ in the 2 hole.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

tell us moreeeeeeeee

Damn right. Do research FFS.

Hines is a HR hitter, and a good player for us, that is where he needs to be in the order. I never said he wasn’t all those things.

As a pro prospect, he has holes in his game that keep him from being an elite prospect. Period. If you think he hits well against lefties, or can regularly put the ball all over the field, or doesn’t strike out a 17ton for a college hitter, then I can’t help you.

What you don’t realize is that I remember your dumbasś saying over a year ago that he’d likely go Top 2-3 rounds in this year’s draft. Told you then that he wouldn’t. You told me I was stupid. Now from you it’s he’ll be a “high draft pick” which is maybe Top 5 rounds, probably Top 10 rounds, no way not in the Top 15 rounds. Your exact words now…..which is pretty much what I said last year. So, you’ve completely reversed your position to where you actually agree with me, yet you are crooning on here like you were right the whole time and never changed anything. It’s comical and sad. You are basically the old man yelling at the cloud….arguing against no one but yourself.