I do declare - in a SixPackSpeak first - that...

Aug 22, 2012
17 em! Mama JuneBurger was on here last night.That's bad trolling. CL sux anyway

Haven't purchased a CL in a while and it'll stay that way.

dawgatUSM

Apr 6, 2008
I don't mind bonner but...

It came a point where I realized that support of Bonner is support of an organization that really doesn't give two cents about the largest fanbase in the State.

Im not a conspiracy guy typically, but how many F ups do you allow a business to make before taking your business elsewhere?

patdog

May 28, 2007
Bonner is just OK. We've had much worse beat writers. But we've had much better beat writers too. Given the current status of the regime at the C-L, he's probably about as good as we could hope for though.

ugabully

Feb 10, 2012
I really would like to know.

I did have a digital only subscription for maybe the last year or so, but I'm now in the process of cancelling it. (I've emailed a request to cancel, but I don't want to fool with calling yet.)

It only seemed fair to pay them for the stories I read on their site related to MSU stuff that I clicked through from twitter, here, etc. But more than 90% of the time, I would elect to answer those silly questions to gain access rather than bothering to log in anyway.

I had a tendency to think that most people's contempt for them might be more a reflection of general MSU we-never-get-respect complaining than reality UNTIL they did virtually no original critical reporting on the Ole Miss/ Tunsil stuff AND then ran a real headline that almost matched what Six Pack users had predicted as a parody of CL bias.

I live in a media market where the press love their watchdog role in regard to college athletics and have no hesitation at all about pouring resources into any kind of expose that they can if there is any possibility of making athletics in general look bad. Your scene in Mississippi with evident bias towards one institution is hard to relate to.

Last edited:

Shamoan

Jun 27, 2013
I'm probably going to get murdered for this, but can we please stop calling it a "rag"? We all know it's terrible, but we should try to be more creative than that.

msu84grad

Aug 23, 2012
At one time in my life I was able to parlay three years on the Reflector staff into a position as a professional, award-winning sports editor. I was told many times as a professional you are supposed to be as impartial as you could be because bias takes away your value as a reporter. Many times I was threatened with bodily harm because my reporting was not biased towards one school or another. That being said, I never would allow a story about one school to infiltrate into another school's story. The problem with the Clarion-Liar is the same one that forced both the Times-Picayune and the Mobile Press to downsize... no one is reading it anymore. I don't, and I probably never will again. Everything done with the C-L and the sister paper the Hattiesburg American is done outside Jackson, except for the newsrooms. Jackson is now just a bureau for the USAToday, Mississippi edition.
I suspect someone in the hierarchy of Gannett figures TSUN alumni are more likely to spend money with them on advertising, so they now orient the paper to them.

Big Sheep81

Feb 24, 2008
I had an online script thru today. It ends with a phone call. In the immortal words of gene autry "I've had enough"

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Man, reading back through those rules brings back a lot of memories.

Dawgzilla

Mar 3, 2008
You should change the title to: I do HEREBY declare. "I do declare" sounds like an old southern woman who is getting the vapors while suffering from the humidity.