I don't understand why

Islandbird

Jan 31, 2022
Our pitching coach doesn't just start Ty Good. It seems like week after week he has to come in early and stomp out somebody's fire. He's a fine pitcher that probably averages more innings pitched than the guys that start. And I'm certain that he doesn't have as many walks and HBP as the starters.

Cackmandu

Feb 2, 2022
No disrespect, but that's why he's the pitching coach and you're wondering why!

My guess is they are hoping the starter comes out and gives them 3 or 4 innings and Ty's temperament works better off the bench or they are hoping we score a ton of runs and they don't have to use him game 1 or 2 and he could be TBA for game 3.

upstategc

Joined Jul 31, 2007
Jan 25, 2022

My guess is they are hoping the starter comes out and gives them 3 or 4 innings and Ty's temperament works better off the bench or they are hoping we score a ton of runs and they don't have to use him game 1 or 2 and he could be TBA for game 3.
Agree. I love having Ty Good come in as a mid-game reliever.

Islandbird

Jan 31, 2022

Hoping for a ton of runs is one thing. We're doing better lately, but we're averaging less than 6 runs a game against Friday starters. And our starters got us less than 2 innings a game on average last weekend.

Islandbird

Jan 31, 2022

No disrespect, but the starter lasted one-third of one inning and Good is burned for the weekend after entering the game with a 4 run deficit. Good is able to start. He did at College of Charleston - 40 starts.

Bubba Fett

Joined Oct 6, 2000
Feb 1, 2022
Kimball is clearly a risk. I know he's got two Ws but I don't think either was against SEC opponent. He should not have been the Friday starter.

He may have potential. I know he's coming off surgery but he's been more of a liability than an asset this year.

Reactions: IBreakForGamecocks

Cackmandu

Feb 2, 2022
I still say there is reasoning behind what I consider starting an opener for Friday and Sunday games, now whether we agree with that reasoning is another matter! It would not surprise me in the least that Matt has a different philosophy about that reasoning and Kingson is vetoing it!

Reactions: Sweetwatergolf

Sweetwatergolf

Jan 20, 2022
I still say there is reasoning behind what I consider starting an opener for Friday and Sunday games, now whether we agree with that reasoning is another matter! It would not surprise me in the least that Matt has a different philosophy about that reasoning and Kingson is vetoing it!
I've often wondered the same on the hitting philosophy with Monte.

Cackmandu

Feb 2, 2022
I assume we'll see some shake up this weekend in Knoxville, we definitely can't stand pat! I say go with Gainey and Good, so Islandbird you have valid reasoning for asking why! We have to get our starters to go deeper in the game, playing from behind puts undue pressure on the order and it would be nice for them not to be playing catch up all the time! Tippett's return throws another wrinkle in the situation, I hope his bat comes alive because his glove definitely makes up better.

One thing of note, we aren't the only ones struggling, Vandy, UF, LSU and Ole Miss have sub .500 conference records, so we're not the only ones shaking our heads!

Last edited:
Reactions: Islandbird

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
We could just find our usual joy in the fact that Clemtech matched our horrible showing with a series loss and clubbing at the hands of Wake Forest. Misery loves company. lol

Latest posts