I was so close

preacher_dawg

All-Conference
Nov 12, 2014
2,756
2,193
113
I almost had the award for most replies on a thread I started. Just 25 more and I would have overtaken the Rand Paul, BLM thread, but I understand locking it. Most of the replies were saying the same thing. Still, is there a prize for 2nd place?
 

dorndawg

Heisman
Sep 10, 2012
9,343
10,653
113
I almost had the award for most replies on a thread I started. Just 25 more and I would have overtaken the Rand Paul, BLM thread, but I understand locking it. Most of the replies were saying the same thing. Still, is there a prize for 2nd place?


You can't keep a good man down, which neatly coincides with a sermon you've got coming up.
 

Russ Wheeler

Redshirt
Aug 3, 2020
2,430
0
0
You love those ego hits, don't you? Let me guess, you're a preacher of the Baptist persuasion?

I bet you also have social media meetings where your congregation can ask you questions and you can give them YOUR opinion, amiright? Because they absolutely need YOUR opinion.
 
Last edited:

PirateDawg

Redshirt
Jan 9, 2020
1,751
0
0
He has an earlier join date with fewer posts so

I would say that you think others need to know YOUR opinion more that he thinks it!

You love those ego hits, don't you? Let me guess, you're a preacher of the Baptist persuasion?

I bet you also have social media meetings where your congregation can ask you questions and you can give them YOUR opinion, amiright? Because they absolutely need YOUR opinion.
 

dorndawg

Heisman
Sep 10, 2012
9,343
10,653
113
You love those ego hits, don't you? Let me guess, you're a preacher of the Baptist persuasion?

I bet you also have social media meetings where your congregation can ask you questions and you can give them YOUR opinion, amiright? Because they absolutely need YOUR opinion.

Totally get organized religion not being for everyone, but this is kinda literally the job of a minister. Weird flex.
 

preacher_dawg

All-Conference
Nov 12, 2014
2,756
2,193
113
You love those ego hits, don't you? Let me guess, you're a preacher of the Baptist persuasion?

I bet you also have social media meetings where your congregation can ask you questions and you can give them YOUR opinion, amiright? Because they absolutely need YOUR opinion.

No, not actually. Very rarely will I give my opinion to the congregation. That's not my job as I see it.
 
Nov 16, 2005
29,281
24,393
113
You have to factor in the number of usernames that he’s had banned. Goat is up to about 8 or 10 now probably.
 

DoggieDaddy13

All-Conference
Dec 23, 2017
3,945
2,341
113
Are you one of those preachers who starts his sermons with "I was looking on the internet yesterday..." or do you not share that that's where you get your sermon ideas?

From previous posts, I'd guess it's one of the other. I'm not judging you because that's the way most preachers operate in the internet age. Of course, a few are looking at sites that include legit Biblical scholarship. But most of the ones I know are looking at FB or Youtube sites that reflect the political bent of their tithers.

I sincerely wish you the best of luck. Preaching and serving like that ain't easy and you can bet there will be an accounting when you meet your Maker.
 

GloryDawg

Heisman
Mar 3, 2005
20,649
19,398
113
You love those ego hits, don't you? Let me guess, you're a preacher of the Baptist persuasion?

I bet you also have social media meetings where your congregation can ask you questions and you can give them YOUR opinion, amiright? Because they absolutely need YOUR opinion.

Sound like you are talking about Hugh Freeze.
 

Shmuley

Heisman
Mar 6, 2008
24,321
12,296
113
Goat, did you just call out another poster on ego hits? You might need another user name, dude.
 

Maroon Eagle

All-American
May 24, 2006
18,577
8,550
102
Say what you will about Goat but there's no denying he's an expert when it comes to ego. If Goat is concerned after all... **
 

greenbean.sixpack

All-American
Oct 6, 2012
9,403
8,833
113
Are you one of those preachers who starts his sermons with "I was looking on the internet yesterday..." or do you not share that that's where you get your sermon ideas?

From previous posts, I'd guess it's one of the other. I'm not judging you because that's the way most preachers operate in the internet age. Of course, a few are looking at sites that include legit Biblical scholarship. But most of the ones I know are looking at FB or Youtube sites that reflect the political bent of their tithers.

I sincerely wish you the best of luck. Preaching and serving like that ain't easy and you can bet there will be an accounting when you meet your Maker.

This ain't new. Any Preacher that hangs around for any length of time slants sermons toward the views of his congregation. Old school bi-vocational preachers (with paid for facilities) who didn't care about congregational tithes are the ones who told it like they believed it, not matter if it routinely upset attendees.

Preachers have also always used resources in additional to the King James Bible when preparing sermons. Every sermon preached by every famous preacher over the past few hundred years is recorded in various books that preachers use to prepare sermons. At one time I was giving messages at homeless centers and asked my preacher if I could use his recent sermon. He reply, yes, I got it from John Wesley. Every sermon that can be preached has already been preached hundreds of times.
 

DoggieDaddy13

All-Conference
Dec 23, 2017
3,945
2,341
113
I agree, there ain't nothing new under the sun. But crafting a sermon from Wesley, Willimon or Wright, versus a meme from Candace Owens or Rachel Maddow isn't exactly the same.

And that's the **** I hear most of the time from the pulpit. But I don't get to church that much any more, I'll admit it.
 
Last edited:

preacher_dawg

All-Conference
Nov 12, 2014
2,756
2,193
113
Are you one of those preachers who starts his sermons with "I was looking on the internet yesterday..." or do you not share that that's where you get your sermon ideas?

From previous posts, I'd guess it's one of the other. I'm not judging you because that's the way most preachers operate in the internet age. Of course, a few are looking at sites that include legit Biblical scholarship. But most of the ones I know are looking at FB or Youtube sites that reflect the political bent of their tithers.

I sincerely wish you the best of luck. Preaching and serving like that ain't easy and you can bet there will be an accounting when you meet your Maker.

For the most part, I strive to come up with my own sermons. Yes, any preacher, if they are honest, borrows things from other pastors, as I do. It may be from my own reading, which I strive to do a lot of. Right now, I am reading voices from the past, which takes the puritans and puts them in modern language. I am sure that will filter down in my sermons.
 

tatedog

Redshirt
Mar 28, 2015
8,739
0
0
Speaking of "borrowing" in my teen years there was a show on MTV called the Half Hour Comedy Hour. Apparently our youth pastor thought he was the only person who had discovered this show because he routinely worked the comedians' jokes into his Wednesday night meetings with us. He didn't last very long.
 

Maroon Eagle

All-American
May 24, 2006
18,577
8,550
102
During my teen years I went with others in my youth group to a concert by a Christian musician who covered John Prine's Dear Abby.

He didn't sing the Just Married section.
 

Go Budaw

Redshirt
Aug 22, 2012
7,321
0
36
Totally get organized religion not being for everyone, but this is kinda literally the job of a minister. Weird flex.

It’s almost like a guy who used to post under the name “Diggin Out Yo Wife” isn’t very in touch with the role or values of Christian ministers.
 

Russ Wheeler

Redshirt
Aug 3, 2020
2,430
0
0
This ain't new. Any Preacher that hangs around for any length of time slants sermons toward the views of his congregation. Old school bi-vocational preachers (with paid for facilities) who didn't care about congregational tithes are the ones who told it like they believed it, not matter if it routinely upset attendees.

Preachers have also always used resources in additional to the King James Bible when preparing sermons. Every sermon preached by every famous preacher over the past few hundred years is recorded in various books that preachers use to prepare sermons. At one time I was giving messages at homeless centers and asked my preacher if I could use his recent sermon. He reply, yes, I got it from John Wesley. Every sermon that can be preached has already been preached hundreds of times.
I guess I'm one of the few here who see this as a problem? Long-tenured professional preachers at big churches trying to raise tithe money? It's great work if you can get it, I suppose.

I'm not hating on the money raising aspect of it - you can do that all day long if you wish, go be a motivational speaker and make people feel good all day long. But hiding behind a 'church' and Christianity? Yeah it ain't adding up, you aren't there to do that.
 

DAWG61

Redshirt
Feb 26, 2008
10,111
0
0
 

horshack.sixpack

All-American
Oct 30, 2012
12,119
9,450
113
I got suckered into a local youth group outing to the movies one time. They went to see "Hannah and Her Sisters". No idea what that was about since I snuck into an adjacent theater to watch something decent.
 

greenbean.sixpack

All-American
Oct 6, 2012
9,403
8,833
113
I guess I'm one of the few here who see this as a problem? Long-tenured professional preachers at big churches trying to raise tithe money? It's great work if you can get it, I suppose.

I'm not hating on the money raising aspect of it - you can do that all day long if you wish, go be a motivational speaker and make people feel good all day long. But hiding behind a 'church' and Christianity? Yeah it ain't adding up, you aren't there to do that.


20 years ago, we started at a nice, caring, tight knit church that was in an older facility. A young preacher (who was/is very good) came and the crowds showed up, now it is a mega church and seems more concerned about money and imagine than anything else. It turned us off and we were hardcore. Do they teach preachers that building programs should be their first priority?
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White Football Will Mississippi State's secondary be the difference on Saturday?
  2. 02 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State sells out Davis Wade Stadium for 2nd week running
  3. 03 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State Week 5 Preview: Who Carries the Load?
  4. 04 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State Week 5 Preview: Alabama Q&A
  5. 05 Maroon and White Mississippi State’s Isaac Smith and Fluff Bothwell “Probable” on initial SEC availability report