If the Doc **** is true...

Center Z

Sep 4, 2006
List your pros and cons for his tenure.

Pros:
1. Forcing LT to "retire."
2. Holding faculty and staff, and generally all university employees accountable.
3. Basically stirring up dialogue for change at the university.
4. Pissing off the architecture department.

Cons:
1. He was somewhat devisive.
2. Made public appearances while looking like a homeless man.
3. Micromanagement.
4. Personally uprooting each daffodil bulb without consulting with various Facebook groups first.

I thought he was a good president. If anything, he shook things up a little, which I thought the university needed. Of course, if him leaving turns out to be ********, all this is moot for now.</p>

patdog

May 28, 2007
Often, the people who make any real change (good or bad) in any large organization don't last long. But many times, the effects of the change last much longer than the person who started the changes. Bottom line is, whether you like Doc or not, it's probably about time for him to go simply because too many alumni/students/faculty have aligned themselves against him.

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
2. Holding faculty and staff, and generally all university employees accountable.
staff and university employees who are non-faculty....sure. i just haven't heard much about him holding faculty accountable to their research and teaching. it appears to be an internet myth that the faculty are mad that he is holding them accountable and more like they are actually mad over stupid **** like flowers and jorts.

saltybulldog

Nov 15, 2005
Our president could kick most other school's president's ***.

In a time of crisis (i.e. shooter on campus) Doc would kick *** gladly

He out ran a cheetah

He made the ****** faculty members run bleacher (its true...I have more than 2000 posts so it has to be)

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
some folks just ain`t cut out to be college presidents. Doc would struggle anywhere but a military school.

Stormrider81

May 1, 2006
Pros:

- Publicly putting emphasis on raising enrollment
- Doing whatever he thought was best for MSU despite the opinions of others
- Putting emphasis on the appearance of MSU (clean campus, uniformity of design, painting over rusted surfaces, etc)

Cons:

- He was a hard ***, which doesn't go over well in the current PC environment

People in leardership are expected to tiptoe lightly through everything. Doc didn't do that, so people hated him for it. The guy brought about a lot of great changes for MSU. He made a few mistakes, but overall he has been a great president. Now, the whiney *** PC crowd despises him because he does what he deems best without their input. You see this everywhere now and it sucks. People who do less get more positive recognition than people who do more, simply because those that do more step on more toes. For instance, Lee has a more positive image than Doc, even though Lee didn't do a whole lot while he was president.</p>

Aug 20, 2006
Its a shame that he never cries.

The Doc Foglesong military unit was not used in the game Civilization 4, because a single Doc could defeat the entire combined nations of the world in one turn.

Doc once challenged Lance Armstrong in a "Who has more testicles?" contest. Doc won by 5.

/Ill be here all day

Stansfield

Apr 3, 2007
I think Doc was a great Pres, but he should have just let the little **** go by. Let the damn greeks have their election signs. Let the architecture students have a little installation. Leave the damn flowers alone. Leave the flyovers to airplanes designed within the past century. It was like he did not know which battles to pick, so he picked every one. However, If he leaves it will be to the detriment of the campus for sure. He took charge of what had to be done and he did it, but he just took charge of too much in too little time.

saddawg

Jun 25, 2006
personality aside, it will be bad for State if he were to go right now. If you have State's best interest at heart, we don't need to go thru a search agin this soon.

MSUArrowCS

Dec 19, 2006
Pros:
Acted like a 4-star general.

Cons:
Acted like a 4-star general.

That about sums it up. Got many things done, but didn't kiss enough tail to survive as a University president. Like it or not, that's the way it is. </Cronkite>

saddawg

Jun 25, 2006
Byrne. Will he have the balls to piss off people by changing things. We see what's happened with Doc stepping on toes. People want him gone. I think if Byrne does what he should these same type people will try to do him in. I hope he acts like a 4 star general.

Stansfield

Apr 3, 2007
saddawg said:
Byrne. Will he have the balls to piss off people by changing things. We see what's happened with Doc stepping on toes. People want him gone. I think if Byrne does what he should these same type people will try to do him in. I hope he acts like a 4 star general.

</p>Without Doc's hammer behind him, Byrne won't be able to get done what should be done. Doc needs to stick around for just a couple more years no matter how many florists, hippies, and bleeding hearts he pisses off.

coursesuper

Nov 1, 2007
if you make changes, even though they may be very difficult, the right way and get the majority behind you in the decisions that you make there will be much less bitching and moaning. This is not a chair force command, they will not just simply say "yes sir" and do what they are told without knowing why. You have to lead these people with a carrot not a stick.</p>

Stansfield

Apr 3, 2007
No it is more like they are a bunch of cows in a crappy field that like where they are. You have to herd them through a gate, pushing and shoving them while they moo and struggle to stay in the crappy field until you finally get them all through the gate and when it is all said and done they realise they are better of then where they were before, but they still resent the farmer that shoved and kicked them through the gate.

MSUArrowCS

Dec 19, 2006
Byrne has things to hold over people's heads. Take the Hump re-seating - plenty of people didn't like it, but if you wanted seats, you were going to follow it (unless you were that one guy with the lawsuit). Doc doesn't hold money over most faculty members' heads to the same degree, so *they're not required to be "yes men" like they would be in the military ... it requires some politics, give-and-take and things like that.

Edit: homo(nym)

coursesuper

Nov 1, 2007
but he is used to having subordinates ask "how high" when he says jump. That will never happen in his current situation. In the Chair Force and other branches of the military politics go up not down. In a university situation this is a two way street. That is where he is failing and it may be what causes his departure.</p>

patdog

May 28, 2007
I'm pretty sure Byrne will pick his battles more wisely than Doc did and he will be much more diplomatic about the changes he makes. It's a hell of a lot easier to change things when you can show people why the change is needed and get some buy-in rather than dictate the change.