Interesting Q&A with Veazey

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006
</a><a rel="nofollow" href="http://blog.al.com/bamabeat/2008/11/view_from_the_other_side_missi.html#more">http://blog.al.com/bamabe...ther_side_missi.html#more
<h3>View from the other side: Mississippi State</h3> <h4>Posted by http://blog.al.com/bamabeat/about.html<font color="#003399">Gentry Estes, Mobile Press-Register</font> November 12, 2008 12:49 PM</h4> <div class="categories"> Categories: <font color="#003399">Football</font> </div> <div class="entry-body">

I've received a few props for starting this "View from the other side" segment that has turned into a weekly hit on the blog this year. But in all honesty, I can't take credit for the idea. It originated with this week's guest.</p>

If you don't know MSU beat writer Kyle Veazey's <font color="#003399">blog for the Jackson Clarion-Ledger</font>, you should.

Veazey sets the standard in this department. In my opinion, his is the best beat blog you'll find in the Southeastern Conference and has been for quite a while. Bulldogs fans should consider themselves fortunate.</p>

Meanwhile, Veazey also spent time earlier in his career covering Alabama, so he's presents a particularly solid take on this week's game ...</p> <a rel="nofollow" name="more"></a>

Q: What are the primary strengths and weaknesses of MSU as you see them?</p>

Veazey: "This isn't exactly breaking news, but Mississippi State's biggest weakness is on offense. In the fifth year under Sylvester Croom and Woody McCorvey, the Bulldogs are still having a hard time scoring. They'll show flashes of being able to move the ball from time to time, sure. But scoring -- i.e., finishing drives -- remains a challenge. Why is this? Well, offensive line production seems down this year compared to last, for one reason. In the bigger picture, many fans are wondering if they're just plain ol' running the wrong offense. And speaking of weaknesses, State's special teams have been suspect. It was never more apparent than in last week's 14-13 loss to Kentucky, in which MSU missed a 27-yard field goal and had an extra point blocked in the fourth quarter."</p>

Q: Is the fan base growing frustrated after last year's success?</p>

Veazey: "It's been interesting watching the MSU fan base in the past 11 months or so. Most people were on a high after last year's season, as evidenced by the 40,000 or so MSU fans who attended the Liberty Bowl. There was considerable optimism over the summer, some of it even spilling over from the hire of John Cohen as baseball coach (nowhere is baseball more important to a fan base than here) and Greg Byrne as athletic director. But when that first game of the season at Louisiana Tech ended in a loss, it's been downhill ever since. Six losses and a lack of offense have contributed to some apathy once again around here. State has struggled to even have an announced attendance of 40,000-plus in its last two home games. A lot of the younger fans with whom I speak are 'fire-Croom-now'. A lot of the older ones are 'give him another year.'"</p>

Q: Has Tyson Lee changed much about the offense or is this still the same brand of McCorvey ball?</p>

Veazey: "Tyson has added some mobility to the offense. He scrambled for some crucial first downs in the Vanderbilt win. He's also throwing few interceptions. Has the offense been overhauled to fit him? No. There are nuances and tweaks here and there, but it's the same base."</p>

Q: Do you attribute the strong pass defense numbers to MSU or the fact opponents have rushed the ball so well?</p>

Veazey: "To be sure, State's pass defense is going to be strong because its secondary, anchored by guys like Derek Pegues and Keith Fitzhugh at safety, is one of its strongest links, talent-wise. But of the top six SEC passing teams, State has only faced one of them. So while I think State is good against the pass, that No. 1 ranking is also the product of circumstance."</p>

Q: Finally, what does MSU need to do or have happen for them to stand a shot at the upset?</p>

Veazey: "Look, I'm not one of these 'State has no chance' guys. I think State does have a chance. But it'll take a perfect game of football. Anthony Dixon will have to run well and that offensive line will have to play its best game of the season -- no small chore against Terrence Cody & Co. (I think I read somewhere that the dude is big.) Play turnover-free and have an efficient, run-first offense, and State will be in the game. One thing to remember -- though it's hard to predict how things would've gone with certainty, State is pretty much two missed second half field goals away from 5-4. And some will even say that it's two missed field goals and a muffed punt at Louisiana Tech away from being 6-3."</p> </div>

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
beachbumdawg said:
</a><a href="http://blog.al.com/bamabeat/2008/11/view_from_the_other_side_missi.html#more">http://blog.al.com/bamabe...ther_side_missi.html#more

<h3>
</h3>
<h3>View from the other side: Mississippi State</h3>

Veazey: "Look, I'm not one of these 'State has no chance' guys. I think State does have a chance. But it'll take a perfect game of football. Anthony Dixon will have to run well and that offensive line will have to play its best game of the season -- no small chore against Terrence Cody & Co. (I think I read somewhere that the dude is big.) Play turnover-free and have an efficient, run-first offense, and State will be in the game. One thing to remember -- though it's hard to predict how things would've gone with certainty, State is pretty much two missed second half field goals away from 5-4. And some will even say that it's two missed field goals and a muffed punt at Louisiana Tech away from being 6-3."</p>

And I would add that any sort of competent performance at Tennessee gets a win this year, so make it 7-2 for me. If ever there was a 31-point loss that was completely winnable, Tennessee was it.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
and a muffed punt at Louisiana Tech away from being 6-3.
Ain't it inspiring to read statements like, "We were SO CLOSE to pulling off the win at Louisiana Tech! If only ..."

Croom, would you just peddle your incompetent fat *** out of town, please?

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
is what I already knew. It takes a pretty lousy team to end up 3-6 so far against the schedule we've played. We've lost to a terrible La Tech team, to the worst Auburn and Tennesse teams in recent memory and to top it all off just totally blew a game against a beat up KY team still shellshocked from 58 point beating at Florida. And our one decent win this year, Vandy, probably won't look so great by year's end as I'm thinking they will probably end the year on a 7 game losing streak to go from 5-0 to 5-7.