Is our ceiling 7-5 for this season and would you be happy with that?

Maccmaine12

Joined Oct 19, 2020
Jan 31, 2022
It’s only our ceiling because the writers are higher on other teams. In reality we have a good chance to being a better team than a lot of us think. Other than UGA and probably Bama, have obvious reasons to be looked at as good teams

ConwayGamecock

Jan 20, 2022
7-5 would be an incremental step forward from last season, but with this being Beamer's 4th season at the helm, I would think most are expecting to start seeing better results than this. He's already had 7 and 8-win seasons in his first two seasons. The program should be advancing forward, not running in place......

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
7-5 would be an improvement, and would have to be a success.

Where those wins come from?

3 patsies and vandy start us at 4.

Kentucky? Hope A&M struggles? Not sure after that.

Reactions: vacock

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
If we get 7 wins, we'll be shattering the ceiling.

Hypothetically, though, the bar was set low last season, so, sadly, a 7 win season, though it would include only 2 legit wins, would be viewed as progress. Is it REALLY progress? No.

Reactions: Patriot321

paladin181

Joined Aug 28, 2014 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 17, 2022
The thing is, with our schedule looking like this, if we're good enough to get to 7, we're also good enough to win 9. If we can win 7, then Bama and Ok are the only two teams I'd say are definitely better than we are.

Reactions: Blues man

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
The thing is, with our schedule looking like this, if we're good enough to get to 7, we're also good enough to win 9. If we can win 7, then Bama and Ok are the only two teams I'd say are definitely better than we are.
If we start the season with 5 wins, which is a big if but possible, then we could make 9. If not, we will be lucky to make 7.

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
For a reminder, the schedule:

ODU
Kentucky
LSU
Akron
Ole miss
Alabama
Oklahoma
A&M
Vandy
Missouri
Wofford
Clemson

I really don't see us beating Kentucky, LSU and Ole Miss to start 5-0.

Gradstudent

Joined Feb 11, 2006
Feb 2, 2022
Yes I would be Happy with 7-5, and instead of looking at the schedule, lets examine the recent performance of 4th year Head Coaches at South Carolina.

Sparky Woods = 5-6
Brad Scott = 5-6
Lou Holtz = 5-7
Steve Spurrier = 7-6
Will Muschamp = 4-8

So yes 7-5 to me would be progress vs last year and I would speculate it would mean we would have a QB for his Sophomore year in 2025 with increased expectations.

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
For a reminder, the schedule:

ODU
Kentucky
LSU
Akron
Ole miss
Alabama
Oklahoma
A&M
Vandy
Missouri
Wofford
Clemson

I really don't see us beating Kentucky, LSU and Ole Miss to start 5-0.
I'm not saying we are going to be 5-0, but if we hope to make the 9 which was proposed above, I think that's what has to happen.
As I stated above, I think 7-5 would be an accomplishment and I would be happy.

Reactions: Lurker123

5forFiveCock

Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 30, 2022
6-6 or better is a good year. Probably have to start 4-2 to win more than 6 and 3-3 to get to 6.

Reactions: vacock

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
7-5 would mean we went 3-5 in meaningful games. It's still not a GOOD season when you look at it that way.

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022
I think 7 wins is the likely ceiling for 2024.

5 or 6 wins is what I'm expecting at this point. The schedule is crazy, where we can pencil in 4 "obvious" wins - ODU, Akron, Vandy, Wofford. UK is a tossup. On paper, the remaining 7 games are some degree of likely to guaranteed loss.

The caveat is on paper, of course, because we've all seen teams underwhelm once the season gets going.

I'd be pleased with 7 wins. If one of those wins is over Clemson, I'd be ecstatic.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Because of expectations, imo. 7-5 is a "good" year this year only because of how little we think of our program going onto this year.

It's true. We lowered the bar pretty good last year so we don't really have to do much this year to show "progress".

However, it's pretty sad that we're in a position where going 2-6 or 3-5 in meaningful games would be seen as progress and something with which we should be happy.

Last edited:

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
All of this said, going back to an old thread of mine, this is a one-game season for me: 10/5 vs Ole Miss. I would sign up right now for a 1-11 season if it means a guaranteed win over Ole Miss.

• Haha
Reactions: will110

Gradstudent

Joined Feb 11, 2006
Feb 2, 2022
7-5 would mean we went 3-5 in meaningful games. It's still not a GOOD season when you look at it that way.

Well I think 7-5 would be a good season for where this program is.

So let me ask, lets say we start 2-5, and then win 5 in a row, beating Texas AM, Missouri and Clemson, to finish 7-5, is that still not a good season?

Most people would be pretty excited about 2025 if that happened.

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
All of this said, going back to an old thread of mine, this is a one-game season for me: 10/5 vs Ole Miss. I would sign up right now for a 1-11 season if it means a guaranteed win over Ole Miss.

I forget, what was your reason? Was it the hot women on their campus?

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Well I think 7-5 would be a good season for where this program is.

So let me ask, lets say we start 2-5, and then win 5 in a row, beating Texas AM, Missouri and Clemson, to finish 7-5, is that still not a good season?

Most people would be pretty excited about 2025 if that happened.

Optically, it would look good, until you see that 2 of those 5 wins were over Wofford and Missouri. When you look at the whole, though, we still would have gone 3-5 in meaningful games.

As you say "for where this programs is". I think that going 3-5 in meaningful games in Beamer's 4th year is more of an indictment than anything else.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I forget, what was your reason? Was it the hot women on their campus?

Ha!

Actually, when Antwane talked trash about the program and Sellers on the podcast. I want to beat them/him more than any team I have in quite some time.

Unfortunately, he'll probably have just an OK season, but set a receiving record against us.

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022
It's true. We lowered the bar pretty good last year so we don't really have to do much this year to show "progress".

However, it's pretty sad that we're in a position where going 2-6 or 3-5 in meaningful games would be seen as progress and something with which we should be happy.
I think context is important here on what those meaningful games actually are...

I assume you're saying meaningful games are Kentucky, LSU, Ole Miss, Alabama, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Missouri, and Clemson.

3 of 8 are in ESPN's way-too-early Top 25's top ten.

6 of 8 are in ESPN's way-too-early Top 25's top twenty.

8 of 8 are ranked in ESPN's way-too-early Top 25.

Obviously 2-6 or 3-5 in meaningful games isn't ideal, but if we can beat 3 ranked teams that's got to be seen as growth in the program. It's just a brutal schedule, especially if these teams live up to expectations.

Reactions: 18IsTheMan

vacock

Joined Oct 26, 1998 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 20, 2022
Yes, for MBB I’d like a good 7’ 5” center. Ha

Reactions: 18IsTheMan

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
Ha!

Actually, when Antwane talked trash about the program and Sellers on the podcast. I want to beat them/him more than any team I have in quite some time.

Unfortunately, he'll probably have just an OK season, but set a receiving record against us.

Honestly forgot ALL about that. You're right.

Gradstudent

Joined Feb 11, 2006
Feb 2, 2022
Ha!

Sad but all to true of a expectation, look for a 200 yard + receiving game against us.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I think context is important here on what those meaningful games actually are...

I assume you're saying meaningful games are Kentucky, LSU, Ole Miss, Alabama, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Missouri, and Clemson.

3 of 8 are in ESPN's way-too-early Top 25's top ten.

6 of 8 are in ESPN's way-too-early Top 25's top twenty.

8 of 8 are ranked in ESPN's way-too-early Top 25.

Obviously 2-6 or 3-5 in meaningful games isn't ideal, but if we can beat 3 ranked teams that's got to be seen as growth in the program. It's just a brutal schedule, especially if these teams live up to expectations.

Yes, those are the games to which I'm referring.

In all likelihood, a couple of those teams do not live up to expectations.

I would rank those 8 in order of most likely for us to win to least likely for us to win:

1. UK: a lot depends on how Vandagriff does there. If he lives up to his recruiting potential now that he's a starter, they likely win easily.
2. A&M: No idea how they'll look in Year 1 under the new guy. Maybe they take a bit of a dip.
3. LSU/Clemson: LSU lost a good bit and Clemson is depending on Klubnik taking a big step forward.
4. Missouri: No real apparent weaknesses that would us an advantage over last year's game.
5. Ole Miss: On paper, they drastically improved via the portal. Presumed playoff team.
6. OU/Bama: On the road. Not happening.

In terms of winnability, I'd say there's a pretty decent gap between UK and LSU and then a large gap between LSU/Clemson and Mizzou. Winning against UK would be a mild upset. Winning over A&M, LSU or Clemson would be moderate upsets. Any of the others would be huge upsets.

As it stands right now and in my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: will110

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022
Yes, those are the games to which I'm referring.

In all likelihood, a couple of those teams does not live up to expectations.

I would rank those 8 in order of most likely for us to win to least likely for us to win:

1. UK: a lot depends on how Vandagriff does there. If he lives up to his recruiting potential now that he's a starter, they likely win easily.
2. A&M: No idea how they'll look in Year 1 under the new guy. Maybe they take a bit of a dip.
3. LSU/Clemson: LSU lost a good bit and Clemson is depending on Klubnik taking a big step forward.
4. Missouri: No real apparent weaknesses that would us an advantage over last year's game.
5. Ole Miss: On paper, they drastically improved via the portal. Presumed playoff team.
6. OU/Bama: On the road. Not happening.

In terms of winnability, I'd say there's a pretty decent gap between UK and LSU and then a large gap between LSU/Clemson and Mizzou. Winning against UK would be a mild upset. Winning over A&M, LSU or Clemson would be moderate upsets. Any of the others would be huge upsets.

As it stands right now and in my opinion.
I'd agree with your analysis outside of Kentucky and Missouri.

Missouri had a bunch of close wins last year and lost their All American running back. I would bet on them taking a step-back. How much of a step-back is the question, but I'd be shocked if they pushed 10 wins again. Now how we stack up against them is a very different conversation.

I still think UK is a toss-up. We've beaten them back to back years now, and our programs are fairly even at this point.

Latest posts