Is this the year?

Predestined

Senior
Dec 5, 2008
2,637
569
113
Painful read, but accurate :)

Almost beat them once my four years - 87 on the road. Humphrey again, though we led late.
 

TaleofTwoDogs

All-Conference
Jun 1, 2004
4,331
2,125
113
No, Too many weaknesses in our armor this year. We need a couple years of recruiting some impact players to help K1 especially on the lines. To win this year would take a ton of luck and permission of the injun spirits.
 

bulldognation

All-Conference
Jan 26, 2004
3,802
1,541
113
K1 is certainly capable. But it’s going to take everyone firing on all cylinders from start to finish.

Bama isn’t going to overlook this game and let us Vandy them because they think we’re a pushover.
 
  • Like
Reactions: msstatelp1

MSUDC11-2.0

Heisman
Sep 29, 2022
10,810
17,398
113
I lean no but DeBoer era Bama has gotten themselves into some really weird spots on the road, so I’m not totally ruling out that we win. This would not even be a Top 3 worst loss for him there.

I do like that we actually have one of these big games at home for once. Tuscaloosa has been where our dreams went to die on many occasions. Would love to know what 1999 or 2014 may have looked like if we are playing at home.
 

Maroon13

All-Conference
Sep 29, 2022
4,179
4,371
113
As a kid growing up in Columbus, this was always the game for me. I know Alabama fans say State isnt a rival but they always were to me. I hated them as matter of fact.

But I go all the way back to 1980, I remember listening in my yard as Jack Cristil called the victory. I remember 1981 (I think the game was on espn, tape delayed) State was ranked 8 and Bama was 7. I remember John Bond and company driving inside the Bama 10 as my heart pounded. But it wasn't to be. Bama got an int and turned us away.

1986, I was at Scott field for that one. It was a sell out crowd. I was a kid but remember traveling on 82 and traffic was backed up from Clayton village for miles east. As the article says, the game was never close. Humphreys gained at least 5 yards every time he touched the ball. It was painful.

1991 in Tuscaloosa was very similar to 1981. I believe the game was on tbs. It was a close game. In the final minutes, Sleepy and company drove the ball down to the bama goal line but Bama keep us out of the endzone to hang on for a 13-7 win. More pain.

1992 and 1994 were huge games as well at Scott field. 1992 and 94 were heavy weight battles. Sell out crowds. Back and forth, close games.

In 92, they blocked a punt and got a few turnovers. Micheal Davis and Prince Williams did all they could vs that bama defense. But bama took the lead in the 4th and an int near the bama goal sealed the win for bama.

94 was a little closer than 92. But again State punished bama all they could running the ball and playing defense. State had more offense that game. But jay baker worked his magic again in the 4th for a bama victory.

I thought at this point State would never beat Alabama again. The loses of 91,92 and 94 were so painful. But in 1996 Bama wasn't a nc team and state wasn't as good as the previous years either. The game was played on espn 2 with a 8pm kickoff. Maybe bama was sleeping as a miracle ensued and State won. I remember State was without their running backs and Robert Issac carried load. It was a very surprising win considering all the State injuries and the way the season had gone to that point.

1997 and 98, Bama wasn't good. Firing stallings was dumb and sent their program spiraling downward. State was decent and good in those two years.

1999, bama somehow found traction with Zow, Alexander and Starkvilles Freddie Milons. Once again I recall the game being a heavy weight fight that State fought them tooth and nail but ... some questionable penalties, a blocked kicked, a trick play with Milons pushed Bama to victory.

2000, State was the favorite and bama was on the verge of firing Dubose. Rumors swirled that Jackie was a candidate for the bama job. Jackie earned the all time wins as a State Coach that day. LT made a presentation that was played post game over the video board as State fans waved white towels as a sign of appreciation for Sherrill.

2006 and 2007, Bama was down. But still the win in both years were welcomed but unexpected. Especially in 2006. A defensive score and Henning having an awesome game. I don't recall much about 2007. Other than the pick 6 and State relying on the defense for the win.

2012 the "we believe" game didn't mean much to me. I guess getting old but I expected it. I expected the loss in 2014 too but it still hurt when it became reality.

By the 2017 game, which was a heavy weight fight in front of a big crowd, very much reminded me of 91-94..... but I didn't even get nervous or excited. I knew the outcome before the game started.

so here we are ... 2026. Feels like somewhere between 2012 and 2017 to me. State 26 is better than State 12
Regardless, Hopefully this is a whole new chapter that we have never seen. However this old man knows better than to get to excited. But kids....don't stop believing ...... maybe it's 1996 all over again.
 
Last edited:
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White Football "Complementary team football is what they're doing really well": Alabama HC Kalen DeBoer on Mississippi State matchup
  2. 02 Maroon and White Football SEC Nation returns to Starkville, beginning with Friday Finebaum show
  3. 03 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State Week 5 Preview: Alabama Players to Know
  4. 04 Rivals Football Recruiting No. 16 Mississippi State hosts Alabama with a 2027 flip target, two elite QBs and other top prospects visiting
  5. 05 Rivals Football Recruiting How strong is CB Julian McDonald’s Mississippi State commitment with LSU still pushing?