Jamal Rule

1thomas

All-Conference
Jan 18, 2003
766
1,493
93
Running back is a concern.

The offensive line will be better. This is good news.

However, the defense held the offense to less than 3 yards per rush at the scrimmage last Saturday. Defenses typically look better in early scrimmages, so while it is not panic time, we definitely need to improve the run game. QB will help with that some.
Seems like we'd need a lot more context than that to make any judgments. For example the 1's only ran 40 of the 120 plays. How did we look there vs how the bottom group looked? Was the qb in a green jersey or live? Plenty of variables that we just don't know.
 

BugsAreQualityProtein

All-Conference
Sep 14, 2021
2,941
1,760
103
RB was a concern until EJ separated himself in games. When you don’t have a returning bell cow RB it’s al says a concern in college. Looks to me like we have 3 good options who could step up
I hope they are somewhat patient with the RBs in the first few games. One of them has to emerge as a serviceable starter or Colandrea will be getting the lion’s share of rushing yards. And we all know how that’s gone for Husker QBs in the past several years.
 

Kakdawg

Heisman
Sep 8, 2004
35,675
16,098
113
Don’t sleep on this kid. I’ve liked him since he committed. Dana says “he doesn’t look like a freshman. 6’2” 210 lbs, breakaway speed, been good in protection”. IMO the hand wringing about the RB room isn’t warranted.

I think it's warranted until we see them once the live bullets start flying. This coming from Rules biggest supporter too.

After watching clips I wished I had seen a bit more explosion from Mozee. I can see he's gotten bigger and stronger but his initial burst or quicks didn't do it for me. Nelson and Rule looked like I wouldve hoped Mozee would as well.

I'll admit I have no expectations whatsoever on Booth and very little on Ives.



Holla
 

dinglefritz

Heisman
Jan 14, 2011
53,085
14,624
78
I think it's warranted until we see them once the live bullets start flying. This coming from Rules biggest supporter too.

After watching clips I wished I had seen a bit more explosion from Mozee. I can see he's gotten bigger and stronger but his initial burst or quicks didn't do it for me. Nelson and Rule looked like I wouldve hoped Mozee would as well.

I'll admit I have no expectations whatsoever on Booth and very little on Ives.



Holla
Some concern is warranted every year you don’t have a returning starter. That said, I think the hand wringing and empty cupboard talk is over done. Guys graduate all the time and it’s been rare where there haven’t been concerns about their backups stepping up.

One of the issues is that we’ve been in so many close games that the number of carries for Mozee and Nelson have been limited. The days are gone where the pipeline had worn out a defense and the backups got 10 carries in a game. I mostly like what I saw last fall from Mozee and Nelson. They’ll be fine.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Kakdawg

NikkiSixx

All-Conference
May 31, 2022
1,105
1,074
113
Or we have a D that can’t stop the run, and an O that still can’t run on them. :)

The season can’t start soon enough.
Dana hasn't proved to me that he can actually engineer or call a decent running game.. remember, this guy came from the Leach tree of passing.. they don't value the rb room or the position, and the head coach has stated as much. I think the run game will come from the QB this year, not the OC.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Bigred2467

dinglefritz

Heisman
Jan 14, 2011
53,085
14,624
78
Dana hasn't proved to me that he can actually engineer or call a decent running game.. remember, this guy came from the Leach tree of passing.. they don't value the rb room or the position, and the head coach has stated as much. I think the run game will come from the QB this year, not the OC.
If I remember correctly Leach’s offense at TTU ran for over 200 on us one of the last times we played them.
 

broken record

Senior
Jul 9, 2025
308
489
63
With running backs, you either have the skill set or you don't. If you aren't contributing by year two, you should look elsewhere. Guys like Green, Phillips, and now Rule are true freshman getting playing time for a reason.
The only positions where guys should realistically take a couple years to develop before seeing the field are QB, OL, and DL. Ives and Booth appear to be guys that are not talented enough for this level
 
  • Like
Reactions: Kakdawg

dinglefritz

Heisman
Jan 14, 2011
53,085
14,624
78
With running backs, you either have the skill set or you don't. If you aren't contributing by year two, you should look elsewhere. Guys like Green, Phillips, and now Rule are true freshman getting playing time for a reason.
The only positions where guys should realistically take a couple years to develop before seeing the field are QB, OL, and DL. Ives and Booth appear to be guys that are not talented enough for this level
Ives is the extra guy we probably don’t need. Booth is still young and we need at least 5 backs on the roster. Booth appears to be tough to tackle. Then we have Genatone a 5th year guy at RB now for some reason. Booth and Genatone are both thumpers.
 

dinglefritz

Heisman
Jan 14, 2011
53,085
14,624
78
Told you what? You didn’t tell anyone anything? Do you need a pat on the back for nothing? Your 4,000 brother n laws can suffice
Read my first post in the thread. If you want to do the search, go back and see what I posted when people were trashing Rule after we signed him.
 

inWV

All-Conference
Sep 22, 2007
14,312
4,991
91
Read my first post in the thread. If you want to do the search, go back and see what I posted when people were trashing Rule after we signed him.
There has just been a lot of negativity about Barthel and the backs. By my memory, a number of Frost recruited backs had higher service rankings than Rule and certainly Nelson. Yet it is those kids that are giving hints of play that compare to Burkhead and Helu. Barthel has the kids ready to play.
 
  • Like
Reactions: DrBob1954

broken record

Senior
Jul 9, 2025
308
489
63
Ives is the extra guy we probably don’t need. Booth is still young and we need at least 5 backs on the roster. Booth appears to be tough to tackle. Then we have Genatone a 5th year guy at RB now for some reason. Booth and Genat
Agree on Ives. I'm not sure why Booth hasn't played meaningful snaps if he is as good as the numbers out of high school.
 

dinglefritz

Heisman
Jan 14, 2011
53,085
14,624
78
There has just been a lot of negativity about Barthel and the backs. By my memory, a number of Frost recruited backs had higher service rankings than Rule and certainly Nelson. Yet it is those kids that are giving hints of play that compare to Burkhead and Helu. Barthel has the kids ready to play.
There were multiple guys on here trashing Barthel’s recruiting and coaching when Rule committed and signed. Seems like Nelson and Rule are pretty good backs and I like the different skill set Mozee brings. I really like our RB depth chart. No Lawrence Phillips but we haven’t been recruiting the Juvie detention facilities.
 

Huskers12345

All-Conference
Aug 23, 2025
1,014
1,128
113
There were multiple guys on here trashing Barthel’s recruiting and coaching when Rule committed and signed. Seems like Nelson and Rule are pretty good backs and I like the different skill set Mozee brings. I really like our RB depth chart. No Lawrence Phillips but we haven’t been recruiting the Juvie detention facilities.
Credit to you for being high on Rule since the start. He looks like a keeper. But let's not re-write history. Our backup just had violence against a pregnant woman charges against him 3 months ago.
 

inWV

All-Conference
Sep 22, 2007
14,312
4,991
91
There were multiple guys on here trashing Barthel’s recruiting and coaching when Rule committed and signed. Seems like Nelson and Rule are pretty good backs and I like the different skill set Mozee brings. I really like our RB depth chart. No Lawrence Phillips but we haven’t been recruiting the Juvie detention facilities.
The best backs on the roster during Frost was a guy already on the roster (Zig) and a guy Ron Brown landed right before Frost’s exit (EJ). Neither a blue chip. Frost had several blue chips backs and the only one that produced transferred to Kentucky. Rhule and Barthel have their kids ready to play, regardless of what their reputation was before they joined up with the team.
 

OxfordComma

All-Conference
Feb 4, 2020
887
1,031
93
The best backs on the roster during Frost was a guy already on the roster (Zig) and a guy Ron Brown landed right before Frost’s exit (EJ). Neither a blue chip. Frost had several blue chips backs and the only one that produced transferred to Kentucky. Rhule and Barthel have their kids ready to play, regardless of what their reputation was before they joined up with the team.
And that one back that produced and transferred wasn’t really a back, shouldn’t have been treated like one, and it was a factor in his transfer before he went pro at WR and credits another school for his development.

I’ve been critical of Barthel but I will stop it if his room looks functional with a couple solid backs that he brought here. Though I do need to see it over more than one game against the Ohio Bobcats. I need to see it in conference play.
 

Kakdawg

Heisman
Sep 8, 2004
35,675
16,098
113
Ives is the extra guy we probably don’t need. Booth is still young and we need at least 5 backs on the roster. Booth appears to be tough to tackle. Then we have Genatone a 5th year guy at RB now for some reason. Booth and Genatone are both thumpers.
Booth and Genatone are not legit Power 4 RBs. They been very were. For that matter Ives is pretty much the same. He may be SLIGHTLY better but that's only by a hair imo.

All 3 should probably be playing on the special teams units. As RBs all 3 are JAG.



Holla
 
  • Like
Reactions: OxfordComma

Kakdawg

Heisman
Sep 8, 2004
35,675
16,098
113
There has just been a lot of negativity about Barthel and the backs. By my memory, a number of Frost recruited backs had higher service rankings than Rule and certainly Nelson. Yet it is those kids that are giving hints of play that compare to Burkhead and Helu. Barthel has the kids ready to play.
I don't hate Barthel like some on here so. I actually my think he's a good developer when it comes to RBs. I think the problem I have with him is that he doesn't recruit highly rated RBs well. Nothing wrong with getting the most out of guys but if you sign more talented guys AND get the most out of them you have better players.

Even with Rule it was a 4 star guy we missed and Rule was next. I liked his film also. He was strong and physical. But I'll be honest he didn't show the kinda speed he's shown so far. He's clearly gotten faster since he's been in Lincoln and he's still growing .

Guys like Ives and Booth never should've been recruited to Nebraska. Good athletes but not Power 4 RBs. Definitely not the kind you need if you wanna win the BIG

Wasn't Barthel the one who also had Kewan Lacy committed before he flipped for Ole Miss? I think he was only a 3 star as well when Barthel was on him and then he blew up.

The kid in this years class remind me a lot of Rule. Physical and strong but I think a bit more elusive and shifty. His HS film speed looks about like Rules as well. But like I said I think Rule has gotten faster since he's gotten to Lincoln.

Matt Rhule and EJ detractors don't wanna give Barthel any credit for development of Emmett either. But that's another story.

For fans Barthel is an enigma. The ones who don't like him won't give him credit for Nelson or Rule either lol. People just wanna see some more stars next to those names. I get it because more times than not those guys are more talented.



Holla
 
  • Like
Reactions: dinglefritz

dinglefritz

Heisman
Jan 14, 2011
53,085
14,624
78
I don't hate Barthel like some on here so. I actually my think he's a good developer when it comes to RBs. I think the problem I have with him is that he doesn't recruit highly rated RBs well. Nothing wrong with getting the most out of guys but if you sign more talented guys AND get the most out of them you have better players.

Even with Rule it was a 4 star guy we missed and Rule was next. I liked his film also. He was strong and physical. But I'll be honest he didn't show the kinda speed he's shown so far. He's clearly gotten faster since he's been in Lincoln and he's still growing .

Guys like Ives and Booth never should've been recruited to Nebraska. Good athletes but not Power 4 RBs. Definitely not the kind you need if you wanna win the BIG

Wasn't Barthel the one who also had Kewan Lacy committed before he flipped for Ole Miss? I think he was only a 3 star as well when Barthel was on him and then he blew up.

The kid in this years class remind me a lot of Rule. Physical and strong but I think a bit more elusive and shifty. His HS film speed looks about like Rules as well. But like I said I think Rule has gotten faster since he's gotten to Lincoln.

Matt Rhule and EJ detractors don't wanna give Barthel any credit for development of Emmett either. But that's another story.

For fans Barthel is an enigma. The ones who don't like him won't give him credit for Nelson or Rule either lol. People just wanna see some more stars next to those names. I get it because more times than not those guys are more talented.



Holla
Kiffin stole Lacey then bailed for LSU. To me it appears that Barthel can evaluate and develop young backs. Ives was a first class Rhule reach trying to get speed on the roster. I think Booth was a “we need a depth RB and we have a Nebraska kid we better offer” recruit. I’m fine with having one of those kinds of backs on the roster. Dana has expressed confidence that Booth could get it done if called on. He’s a thumper though not likely to give you the big play threat of the first 3 guys. I agree with Dana. I like the room. JMHO worth exactly what you’re paying for it. My BIG thing is ball security and pass pro. All of these guys can do a sufficient job of running it. No Ahman Greens though Rule might get there.
 

TDLaww2020

Junior
Dec 6, 2017
583
283
63
I don't hate Barthel like some on here so. I actually my think he's a good developer when it comes to RBs. I think the problem I have with him is that he doesn't recruit highly rated RBs well. Nothing wrong with getting the most out of guys but if you sign more talented guys AND get the most out of them you have better players.

Even with Rule it was a 4 star guy we missed and Rule was next. I liked his film also. He was strong and physical. But I'll be honest he didn't show the kinda speed he's shown so far. He's clearly gotten faster since he's been in Lincoln and he's still growing .

Guys like Ives and Booth never should've been recruited to Nebraska. Good athletes but not Power 4 RBs. Definitely not the kind you need if you wanna win the BIG

Wasn't Barthel the one who also had Kewan Lacy committed before he flipped for Ole Miss? I think he was only a 3 star as well when Barthel was on him and then he blew up.

The kid in this years class remind me a lot of Rule. Physical and strong but I think a bit more elusive and shifty. His HS film speed looks about like Rules as well. But like I said I think Rule has gotten faster since he's gotten to Lincoln.

Matt Rhule and EJ detractors don't wanna give Barthel any credit for development of Emmett either. But that's another story.

For fans Barthel is an enigma. The ones who don't like him won't give him credit for Nelson or Rule either lol. People just wanna see some more stars next to those names. I get it because more times than not those guys are more talented.



Holla
I'm not gonna be quick to reverse my negative outlook on Berthel given the lack of (quality) depth we had up to this point and we did play Ohio. If our HB room truly looks great by the time Indiana/Oregon rolls around, I'll gladly switch.

I'd like to be proven wrong.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Kakdawg

Kakdawg

Heisman
Sep 8, 2004
35,675
16,098
113
Kiffin stole Lacey then bailed for LSU. To me it appears that Barthel can evaluate and develop young backs. Ives was a first class Rhule reach trying to get speed on the roster. I think Booth was a “we need a depth RB and we have a Nebraska kid we better offer” recruit. I’m fine with having one of those kinds of backs on the roster. Dana has expressed confidence that Booth could get it done if called on. He’s a thumper though not likely to give you the big play threat of the first 3 guys. I agree with Dana. I like the room. JMHO worth exactly what you’re paying for it. My BIG thing is ball security and pass pro. All of these guys can do a sufficient job of running it. No Ahman Greens though Rule might get there.

Yeah we don't agree on this one at all but it's ok. Yes agreed about Lacy and Barthel and development.

As far as the backs go I think both were a part of Rhule and his old DB coach Cooper I think with the height/weight/speed concept and making a player out of those guys. I don't blame Genatome because he wasn't a ship guy. He was/is just chasing his dream . In fact he's the best athlete of the bunch . Just not a good RB either.
Ives and Booth were reached to me.

Some would've said Nelson was a reach as well but so far so good. Give EJ credit for that also. Rule is legit and Mozee was recruited as a WR so . I'm not as high on him as Nelson and Rule but I do think he's better than the other guys. Who in my opinion are just never gonna play meaningful reps here.


Holla
 

Kakdawg

Heisman
Sep 8, 2004
35,675
16,098
113
I'm not gonna be quick to reverse my negative outlook on Berthel given the lack of (quality) depth we had up to this point and we did play Ohio. If our HB room truly looks great by the time Indiana/Oregon rolls around, I'll gladly switch.

I'd like to be proven wrong.

Nothing wrong with that. I think he does one part of his job very well. But I also think he struggles to do another part of his job. So I understand why people feel like they do.

I'll give him credit for what he does well. But also imo he should be recruiting higher ranked better RBs at Nebraska. This isn't Connecticut where you have to get lesser guys. Developing is great but imagine what you get it you get a to tier talent AND fully develop him...


Holla
 

broken record

Senior
Jul 9, 2025
308
489
63
Nothing wrong with that. I think he does one part of his job very well. But I also think he struggles to do another part of his job. So I understand why people feel like they do.

I'll give him credit for what he does well. But also imo he should be recruiting higher ranked better RBs at Nebraska. This isn't Connecticut where you have to get lesser guys. Developing is great but imagine what you get it you get a to tier talent AND fully develop him...


Holla
The local kids NU has offered over the past several years just haven't been high caliber. I'm not sure why it is but we just haven't ben getting Ahman Green-type local talent. Hopefully starting in 2027 we start seeing more local kids that are big tme players. But yea, Booth and especially Carter Nelson have been disappointments. Small school talent that just isn't as good as we hoped thus far.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Kakdawg
Inside Nebraska

Latest

  1. 01 Inside Nebraska Football Rhule: Colandrea sliding, sharp words for Nwaneri & Jones, plus an early eval on Huskers’ transfer class
  2. 02 Inside Nebraska Football Here’s what Nebraska coach Matt Rhule said about Dylan Raiola performance in Oregon’s win over USC
  3. 03 Inside Nebraska Football Injury updates for Jamal Rule & Jacory Barney? Not yet, says Matt Rhule, and he explains why
  4. 04 Inside Nebraska Football Nebraska-Indiana kickoff time, TV info announced
  5. 05 Inside Nebraska Football Nebraska HC Matt Rhule previews Maryland at game week press conference