John Smith retires

Status
Not open for further replies.

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021
I’d be shocked if DT went anywhere, especially out of State. He and his family love Central Pa.
Aren't you the one that says everything is about the donors spending money? Oklahoma St has donors too.

gpsu88

Sep 1, 2022
Not one person or entity has reported that OKST offered Taylor the job. Not Flo, not Willie, not Mineo, not the wrestling reporters in Oklahoma ... nobody.

What conclusion should we draw? Coleman Scott's offer last year was known before he took the job, so it's not like OKST is hermetically sealed.
I know nothing for certain, but Mineo did say he was offered

• Haha
Reactions: cb1994

fp

May 6, 2022
Color me skeptical, but Okie State doesn't seem like the best fit for Taylor. He should wait for the tOSU job or something like that.

gimb14

May 3, 2022
Color me skeptical, but Okie State doesn't seem like the best fit for Taylor. He should wait for the tOSU job or something like that.
He's probably our next coach, whenever that is. Let him get his feet wet before jumping up to the big time.

ElDuce

Oct 29, 2022
OK State is not in the big 10, "if" the Magicman has to leave happy valley, this would be a "more" ideal fit

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
I’m hearing Coleman Scott. That’s exactly why Smith wanted him hired last year. Smith knew he was retiring and Scott would take over

SRATH

Oct 30, 2021
No tornado warnings in State College today.

Hope they stay safe.

Colman was their guy all along. The DT was a hail mary, worth the attempt.

It just isn't the money to hire a coach, it is the whole staff, plus the RTC. I think David would make a great college coach some day, but he is doing ok without the pressures of college coaching.

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
It would be a great move to put DT on our staff now. Other programs like Iowa State or worse yet Iowa will be calling him next especially since they know he was talking to Okla State. Get him on the staff Cael….This won’t stop his decision but it’s gonna help us.

Psuproud

Nov 1, 2021
It would be a great move to put DT on our staff now. Other programs like Iowa State or worse yet Iowa will be calling him next especially since they know he was talking to Okla State. Get him on the staff Cael….This won’t stop his decision but it’s gonna help us.
Who on the current staff are you getting rid to make room?

Reactions: Spice67

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
Who on the current staff are you getting rid to make room?
That’s my thought as well. I’m sure he could work in the administration for now until the 3rd position of Asst comes up which is every few years. Oh well just happy he’ll be around

PSU_Lions_84

Jul 2, 2022
Anyone checking the I0wa death rate because of these DT->OKSt rumors? I0wa wrestling fans are SURE DT will be on their coaching staff soon - if only to learn The I0wa Way from the Brands Bros.

• Haha
Reactions: Michnit

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
Anyone checking the I0wa death rate because of these DT->OKSt rumors? I0wa wrestling fans are SURE DT will be on their coaching staff soon - if only to learn The I0wa Way from the Brands Bros.
Okla State wanted Casey first. They can forget that. Tell’s you something how they really view Coleman Scott. Hope Jax Forrest knows….

KJB32812

Oct 31, 2021
Flo basically is under the assumption that every program should reach out to Cunningham, even if just to be told no. Today they said Directional Michigan should reach out to him.

psykim

Oct 7, 2021
I know there are restrictions on number of college coaching staff. Has David made a decision to retire from competitive wrestling? If so can they add him to NLWC club staff to work with wrestlers preparing for international competition? Did not know if there are limitations on staff number there-but obviously there is financial compensation involved which I assume would be much less than if he worked as a college head coach but he also has his training center here.
Amazing that Cael has maintained his outstanding staff-perhaps they enjoy being at the nation's top program with the top head coach ever!

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
I know there are restrictions on number of college coaching staff. Has David made a decision to retire from competitive wrestling? If so can they add him to NLWC club staff to work with wrestlers preparing for international competition? Did not know if there are limitations on staff number there-but obviously there is financial compensation involved which I assume would be much less than if he worked as a college head coach but he also has his training center here.
Amazing that Cael has maintained his outstanding staff-perhaps they enjoy being at the nation's top program with the top head coach ever!
If he has made that decision, he has not announced it publically. The NLWC can have as many coaches as they want/can afford. College spots are limited by NCAA rule.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Flo basically is under the assumption that every program should reach out to Cunningham, even if just to be told no. Today they said Directional Michigan should reach out to him.
Well, he did win a NCAA Title at Central Michigan so it’s not that far out in left field.

J.E.B

Oct 30, 2021
USA Wrestling should hire Cael and his entire staff and base the freestyle team out of HV… Taylor takes over with Gilman, Dake, and Snyder filling out the staff.

Reactions: Spice67

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021
If my memory is right, Jake Varner applied for the Stanford job before Noll got it.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
If he were leaving, not sure why he'd go there.
Familiarity makes people do things that doesn’t make sense to others. However, I can’t see him leaving what they have worked hard to build at PSU. He is part of the gold standard at PSU and the NLWC.

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
If I’m Coleman Scott, I’m a little pissed that I left a head coaching job where I was successful to be a part of this clown show “head coaching search”. It seems a little puzzling and insulting to me.
Same here. I'm not sure what but something obviously seems to be up with this whole thing. It has played out very odd.

Reactions: Michnit and WV lion

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
DT need’s to make a short statement. He has a lot of kid’s he’s very close with at M2. Hopefully he’s staying put….

Psuproud

Nov 1, 2021
It sure seems like he has accepted the position.

One of the best none Big Ten jobs in the country.

gpsu88

Sep 1, 2022
Sounds like he said no and then they came back with an offer he couldn’t refuse. Good for him if true

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts