Journalistic Integrity Exposed

Abush

Jan 31, 2022
After reading the AP story, the writer deserved to be suspended. He then chose to resign. NPR didn't do anything wrong.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
I need to dig into this a little more. At first blush, it looks like reprisal. That NPR leans strongly Left is not a false assertion.

Abush

Jan 31, 2022
I'm sure the AP is filled ''journalistic integrity''. lol

First off, they are. They always have been.

Second, if you read why it happened, it is pretty cut and dry. NPR suspended the writer for publishing a story with a different outlet, without consulting NPR. It would be no different if a LA Times writer published a story for the Wall Street Journal without letting the Times know about it first.

The writer then resigned after being suspended. NPR didn't fire the writer.

I don't really care about MAGA-colored glasses.

Abush

Jan 31, 2022
So, NPR retaliated against a whistleblower, and it's the whistleblowers fault. Got it.

They didn't retaliate. They suspended because a writer wrote for a competitor. You know, non-compete?

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
They didn't retaliate. They suspended because a writer wrote for a competitor. You know, non-compete?

That would be the act of whistleblowing.

Otherwise, you'd be asking NPR to publish a story about how biased NPR is. On top of the fact that burying stories they don't like is one of the accusations.

I think your argument is trying to debate the circumstances of the whistleblowing in order to divert from the facts he brought to light.

I have family members who also think NPR is pretty middle of the road. But they are very liberal. And I think it speaks to the idea that people think the "news" agency that tells them what they want to hear is really the one that's non biased. (I think the term is confirmation bias?)

Last edited:

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022

Otherwise, you'd be asking NPR to publish a story about how biased NPR is. On top of the fact that burying stories they don't like is one of the accusations.

I think your argument is trying to debate the circumstances of the whistleblowing in order to divert from the facts he brought to light.

I have family members who also think NPR is pretty middle of the road. But they are very liberal. And I think it speaks to the idea that people think the "news" agency that tells them what they want to hear is really the one that's non biased. (I think the term is confirmation bias?)
Somebody finally told the truth about NPR and NPR wasn't going to be the one to do it.

Abush

Jan 31, 2022

That's not at all whistleblowing. Whistleblowing is airing out a practice that is either illegal or non-ethical

Most companies have non-compete clauses. If that was whistleblowing, then the writer would have the right to sue NPR for retaliation. The only thing the writer said is that NPR lost people's trust because they are rigidly left leaning.

They've always been left leaning. What the writer wrote was not something that isn't known. It's the way in which he went about being critical. It's truly no different than any other job. Actually, I think quite a few of us would be fired for publicly stating negative things about our employer, not even suspended.

Also, NPR didn't even try to bury the story. In fact, you can find their story about suspending him. It's still on their website.

ToddFlanders

Jan 20, 2022
Yall can argue liberal or conservative, but dude isn’t a whistleblower - he gave a personal opinion based on his experiences. He didn’t expose anything - he just gave an opinion.

It also sounds like he could have continued to work there, but he resigned. And posted his resignation letter on Twitter - you know, as people do.

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
That's not at all whistleblowing. Whistleblowing is airing out a practice that is either illegal or non-ethical

Most companies have non-compete clauses. If that was whistleblowing, then the writer would have the right to sue NPR for retaliation. The only thing the writer said is that NPR lost people's trust because they are rigidly left leaning.

They've always been left leaning. What the writer wrote was not something that isn't known. It's the way in which he went about being critical. It's truly no different than any other job. Actually, I think quite a few of us would be fired for publicly stating negative things about our employer, not even suspended.

Also, NPR didn't even try to bury the story. In fact, you can find their story about suspending him. It's still on their website.

Illegal or non ethical? Like burying news stories for political affiliation?

I disagree with your notion that their left leaning wasn't known, and spoke to it in my previous post. I admit that is anecdotal.

And I didn't suggest NPR buried the story of his suspension or quitting. If you read his piece exposing NPR, you would know the burying of stories involved other topics. (Laptop for example)

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
We can just call it an ''insider's perspective'' that those who are currently employed are reluctant to give for obvious reasons.

That works. If the word "whistleblower" is so problematic, call it something else.

NPR got publicly shamed, retaliated, and he took his ball and went home rather than accept suspension.

Arguing over the details simply takes away from the main point. NPR is not a news organization, but borderline propaganda. Publicly funded to boot.

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
That works. If the word "whistleblower" is so problematic, call it something else.

NPR got publicly shamed, retaliated, and he took his ball and went home rather than accept suspension.

Arguing over the details simply takes away from the main point. NPR is not a news organization, but borderline propaganda. Publicly funded to boot.
My point exactly which is why I proposed the ''insider's perspective'' replacement for ''whistleblower'' to eliminate the smoke screen.

Reactions: Lurker123

mickray

May 20, 2023
Just more of: "I hate you because you don't think like me" from two sides. I wonder when it will advance to three sides?

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
The last really good NPR piece was the Pete Schweddy interview. Since then, not so great.

Why is it a good idea to have a state-funded media outlet?

• Love
Reactions: Cola GCock

Cybercock

Jan 20, 2022
The last really good NPR piece was the Pete Schweddy interview. Since then, not so great.

Why is it a good idea to have a state-funded media outlet?
It's a terrible idea but, like every other government program, once it's created. It is never terminated despite how circumstances change.

Reactions: Lurker123

ToddFlanders

Jan 20, 2022

So all it takes is one reporter, from any news organization, to give their opinion and that is the absolute truth? (As long as that opinion rips down that particular organization of course.)

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
So all it takes is one reporter, from any news organization, to give their opinion and that is the absolute truth? (As long as that opinion rips down that particular organization of course.)

Of course, it's not just his opinion. NPR corroborated one of his points when it openly refused to cover the laptop as a "non-story". This guy's comments merely added background about their dubious reasoning.

Another of his points was simply a factual counting of dems vs reps on staff, so not opinion at all.

If this opinion piece came out in a vacuum, it would be easier to dismiss.

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022

Latest posts