Just curious, why does baseball get first rights over womens basketball on radio

CCUIrmo

Mar 21, 2022
Every time the two play at same time, womens basketball gets the awful AM station that barely comes thru and baseball gets FM 107.5. I would maybe understand regular season stuff but this is womens sweet 16 game in NCAA tournament against baseball regular season game that doesnt even start until 7 while basketball starts at 5. Why not go on 107.5 for womens game and baseball go AM until womens game is over. I know its kind of petty to be bothered by this but the AM station really is bad.

Mar 8, 2023
Every time the two play at same time, womens basketball gets the awful AM station that barely comes thru and baseball gets FM 107.5. I would maybe understand regular season stuff but this is womens sweet 16 game in NCAA tournament against baseball regular season game that doesnt even start until 7 while basketball starts at 5. Why not go on 107.5 for womens game and baseball go AM until womens game is over. I know its kind of petty to be bothered by this but the AM station really is bad.
I actually asked this of the women's basketball radio guy. He said it's because the women's games are not on the full radio network like baseball, football and men's basketball games are. So network takes priority. I think the women are only on in Columbia and can be heard online (it's streamed on the athletics web site and South Carolina's app, which is where I often listen. So the radio stations around the state need to decide they want to carry women's basketball for it to have more of a priority. I did notice the other day that they put the women's game on 98.5 FM instead of the dinky AM station when it went up against baseball. That has a much better signal.

Debo77

Dec 21, 2022
You dont have a Tv???....or a phone???....or a tablet????

TooCocky

Joined Aug 2, 2018
Jan 31, 2022
Says the guy in a WBB thread. Oh btw, women's games are getting TV ratings that often eclipse the men's games, and even NBA games on occasion. You keep being you.
lol what women’s games? Maybe one of two with Clark playing…. Outside her/that just not happening.

Reactions: Cola GCock

TooCocky

Joined Aug 2, 2018
Jan 31, 2022
So I actually just looked this up.
the most watched women’s game ever was 9.9 million. Last year, Iowa/LSU final.

NBA finals 18 million last year
This years FIRST round of men’s college games average of 8.53 million.
That’s for the round of 64. Wait till you see the numbers for the finals.

Unless Clark is in the finals this year the women’s final won’t have 5 million viewers.

Nobody watches women’s basketball. That’s why the NBA has to subsidize the wnba….. because it suck’s

Sweetwatergolf

Jan 20, 2022

Unless Clark is in the finals this year the women’s final won’t have 5 million viewers.

Nobody watches women’s basketball. That’s why the NBA has to subsidize the wnba….. because it suck’s
Nobody cared before the recent run with USC also. It will most likely return to that when DS departs/retire etc.

Reactions: Cola GCock

YankeeRooster

Nov 29, 2022

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
Nobody cared before the recent run with USC also. It will most likely return to that when DS departs/retire etc.
The Office Boomer GIF by MOODMAN

BftCocks09

Joined Aug 2, 2014
Jan 24, 2022
I can understand that some of our fanbase doesn’t like WBB for one reason or another. I truly get the reasons why not. However, I will say it’s baffling how some will go out of their way to put down a program we are an absolute juggernaut in. Why not move on?

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I can understand that some of our fanbase doesn’t like WBB for one reason or another. I truly get the reasons why not. However, I will say it’s baffling how some will go out of their way to put down a program we are an absolute juggernaut in. Why not move on?
Broadcasters are dispassionate though. They will prioritize what gets the biggest audience. Apparently they think baseball gets the most listeners.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022

Writing that "nobody watches WBB" makes you look foolish. Stating that "few watch it compared to men" would show that you have a brain.

Not a true Gamecock.

Reactions: will110

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
Exactly. These are not real Gamecock fans.

Again, a real Gamecock fan wants all varsity sports the school sponsors to compete well and represent USC well, regardless of what sports they follow.

Reactions: Dallas-Cock

Big JC

May 12, 2023
Exactly. These are not real Gamecock fans.

Again, a real Gamecock fan wants all varsity sports the school sponsors to compete well and represent USC well, regardless of what sports they follow.
Nobody said they didn't want them to win. The OP was about the WBB being on an AM station with less coverage than baseball. The radio stations only concern is the audience size which drives ad rates. They are not trying to hype or slight a program and would drop either one like a bad habit and replace them with a gardening call in show if the audiences for the WBB or baseball shrank and gardening became the hot thing.

The people getting all worked up over WBB need to have another Bud Light, relax and accept the fact that women's sports don't draw near the audience or money that men's sports do. This is an undisputed fact in soccer, basketball. lacrosse and golf. The only sport where women have close to the following of men is tennis.

Crutcher

Feb 2, 2022

Comparing WBB to NBA Finals viewership? That's like saying the nobody cares about the NBA Finals because the Super Bowl has better ratings. Networks love the explosion of interest in WBB.

Reactions: atl-cock

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
Nobody said they didn't want them to win. The OP was about the WBB being on an AM station with less coverage than baseball. The radio stations only concern is the audience size which drives ad rates. They are not trying to hype or slight a program and would drop either one like a bad habit and replace them with a gardening call in show if the audiences for the WBB or baseball shrank and gardening became the hot thing.

The people getting all worked up over WBB need to have another Bud Light, relax and accept the fact that women's sports don't draw near the audience or money that men's sports do. This is an undisputed fact in soccer, basketball. lacrosse and golf. The only sport where women have close to the following of men is tennis.
You are correct in that revenue trumps.

That being said, try not to belittle the dedicated fans of any sport USC sponsors.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
Comparing WBB to NBA Finals viewership? That's like saying the nobody cares about the NBA Finals because the Super Bowl has better ratings. Networks love the explosion of interest in WBB.
If media notices potential opportunities to grow revenue, they will seek it out. To do otherwise would be fiscally irresponsible,

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Because no one really gives a **** about WBB.
Well, that’s exaggerating, but a lot fewer care about WBB than a lot of people want us to think. Clark said people were more excited about the women’s tournament than the men’s tournament this year. Well, the men’s tournament ratings for the first 2 rounds absolutely crushed the women.

Yard_Pimps

Jul 11, 2022
Writing that "nobody watches WBB" makes you look foolish. Stating that "few watch it compared to men" would show that you have a brain.

Not a true Gamecock.
Bs there is no rule that says a fan has to enjoy every sport and pull for them. I don’t like dawn and woman’s basketball really is awful. I would rather watch paint dry. Really any woman’s sport to be honest. It’s just not as good to watch subpar athleticism.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
Bs there is no rule that says a fan has to enjoy every sport and pull for them. I don’t like dawn and woman’s basketball really is awful. I would rather watch paint dry. Really any woman’s sport to be honest. It’s just not as good to watch subpar athleticism.
Our WBB is not subpar. There are teams out there which are, but not ours.

I said nothing about enjoying a sport. Watching tennis does not appeal to me. Nonetheless, I want our tennis teams to compete well. I do quietly cheer, such as when an FGF member reported that the men defeated #2 UVA. That's about as far as it goes with me and tennis.

Any USC varsity team in any sport which competes well reflects positively on the school. Whether or not you or I follow an individual sport is irrelevant.

Yard_Pimps

Jul 11, 2022
Our WBB is not subpar. There are teams out there which are, but not ours.

I said nothing about enjoying a sport. Watching tennis does not appeal to me. Nonetheless, I want our tennis teams to compete well. I do quietly cheer, such as when an FGF member reported that the men defeated #2 UVA. That's about as far as it goes with me and tennis.

Any USC varsity team in any sport which competes well reflects positively on the school. Whether or not you or I follow an individual sport is irrelevant.
Woman are subpar to men physically and in athleticism. That’s what I mean. Call me misogynist all you want. Doesn’t change the truth. It’s subpar sports tv.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
Woman are subpar to men physically and in athleticism. That’s what I mean. Call me misogynist all you want. Doesn’t change the truth. It’s subpar sports tv.
Different people have different strengths in different areas. Watch or don't watch what you want. But don't belittle people who give it their best.

I would hate to be your daughter. A true Gamecock is not misogynist.

Reactions: Kitchenlabs

Forkcock

Jan 21, 2022
I really enjoy watching our women play, others, not so much.

UCONN women were up 10-6 at the end of the 1st Qtr last night. That was some horrible basketball. Brick after brick after brick followed by multiple air balls and countless turnovers.

Reactions: Gamecock Jacque
Mar 8, 2023
I really enjoy watching our women play, others, not so much.

UCONN women were up 10-6 at the end of the 1st Qtr last night. That was some horrible basketball. Brick after brick after brick followed by multiple air balls and countless turnovers.
To be fair.. I've seen plenty of men's basketball games that were low-scoring and brutal.
I've actually grown to enjoy the women's game more because it's more like basketball from when I grew up: shoot off the dribble, importance of good post play. Men's hoops has become just threes and dunks. To each his own. I enjoy college softball as well. The games moves much faster than baseball, but I like baseball too.