Kudos to Hank

oldxbbc

All-American
Sep 19, 2013
1,901
7,455
113
Personally, I was surprised he came out of camp at #1. He certainly has my vote now. Thought early on after getting hit hard on a sack he was a little gun shy getting rid of the ball early, but the second half showed what he is made of/can do. Last drive was a thing of beauty even if penaltys and the time out helped. Next week will be interesting being a 14.5 point dog.
 

85Bears

All-American
Aug 31, 2019
5,806
6,096
108
Hank throws a beautiful spiral. I think getting banged around a little helped him. He impressed me. I’d like to,see Lester open it up,a little and let him go.
 

Passing Is For COMMIES

All-Conference
Oct 30, 2023
549
1,010
93
I also bought into the theory everyone had that he doesn’t respond will to big situations (playing great against an FCS opponent at auburn then throwing 3 picks in the first half against Arkansas the next game, Indiana missed screen, poor kids day) and wanted Heck. I changed my mind pretty quickly week 1. I think he has responded very well to adversity at every point thus far this season (starting as the number 2 on the depth chart and passing Heck, recovering from the kids day disaster, ISU start, performing pretty well overall with the pressure of a QB battle)

The final drive against ISU he only threw one pass, a check down on the first play of that drive that went for 8 yards. But the most impressive moment for me was how he responded after the offense looked pretty anemic the first 3 drives. Myself and probably everyone else watching expected Hecklinski to come out the next drive, but Kirk stuck with Hank and he delivered a bomb to Diaz that kickstarted the whole team. I thought he was pretty solid the rest of the game. Kept the chains moving on a night where our longest run play was only 7 yards. I would go as far to say that Hank was the reason we won.

Like you said, the potential/arm talent is obvious. IMO his best trait is how quickly he gets the ball out. I believed he averaged 2.34 seconds to throw against ISU, which is phenomenal. That defensive line they had would have eaten him alive if he couldn’t process things as fast as he can.

Is he a little too trigger happy on the checkdowns? Probably. But it’s not like he never takes shots, when he gets the coverage he wants he can and has thrown deep. As he gains game experience and confidence I think he will feel more empowered to take more risks.

If the lightbulb does indeed come on and he starts hitting more shots down the field, he could be really, really good. Potential NFL career good, he has all the natural talent needed to do so.
This man respondes to advertisity like no one else. I hope he finishes his degree up here, this is a kid that I would be proud to call a fellow alumni.

His career reminds me a TON of Ricky Stanzis atm. 1790478081206.gif
 

Sett1997

All-Conference
Oct 23, 2025
886
2,792
93
I've always kinda wondered if God, or whoever is running things, is an Iowa fan or a Michigan fan. It's one of life's great mysteries. Although if you go by wins and losses, the answer seems pretty apparent.
God is pretty smart, I'm guessing it's all about the personal development of the young men more than who wins the game. God's web runs pretty deep.
 
Hawkeye Report

Latest

  1. 01 Hawkeye Report Football Iowa Football Opponent Preview: #6 Ohio State Buckeyes
  2. 02 Hawkeye Report Football Hank Brown named to Davey O'Brien Award Great 8
  3. 03 Hawkeye Report Football Recruiting Following the future
  4. 04 Rivals Football Recruiting Under the Lights: 5-star prospects battle it out in Oklahoma
  5. 05 Hawkeye Report Football The Chuck Long Podcast