Larry Brown - claims SC vetting Franklin

USCFourLife

May 19, 2019
Yes,
Sam, Juju, Adoree and Rojo beat Petersen too. They should not be disqualified just because Helton was the coach.
They were all Cutty’s recruits. That win has nothing to do with Clay and more with the talent USC had on the field. Cutty was a great recruiter (horrible coach) but could sell ice to Eskimos. Clay was just the ultimate Hack that was in over his head but he is laughing to the bank.

Reactions: Cherokee55

LDIABootney

Aug 24, 2017
NO! I repeat NO. It would be a terrible hire. My god...what are these people thinking?!?
Franklin does not equal National Championships.
If oddsmakers are saying Urban in top three, you throw the bank at the guy. If not, Plan B should not include many of the names thrown around. Those SEC clowns want us to hire these clowns recently mentioned and we will be stuck in the same cycle of irrelevance.
You want national titles...you get a dude who will get you a national title. That means spending $$.
Bama, Georgia, Oklahoma, Ohio State do it. SC needs to get in the game. Make it impossible to say no thanks.
And when the money is rolling in via butts in the seats, TV revenue, admissions...SC brass will then see it was money well spent.
It's called a sound investment.
Yep eliminates Fickell as well.

Reactions: yah20002

LDIABootney

Aug 24, 2017
Why do the goalposts keep moving?
Against Franklin because of past scandals.
But Meyer is fine despite his past scandals.
Franklin has no championship experience like Meyer. Neither does Fickell but he's fine to get? I don't know exactly why the rules are different for Franklin..... It was mentioned he lost to Helton, but yet Petersen would be fine? SMH

Honestly I don't know if any of the names being thrown around will want to come to USC. Especially with a short term deal.

Reactions: Steve From Florida

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
Franklin has no championship experience like Meyer. Neither does Fickell but he's fine to get? I don't know exactly why the rules are different for Franklin..... It was mentioned he lost to Helton, but yet Petersen would be fine? SMH

Honestly I don't know if any of the names being thrown around will want to come to USC. Especially with a short term deal.
I doubt whatever is being offered will be short term. But agreed, folks are all over the place with their criteria. To me as long as they have experience, demand accountability, and know how to develop players. To go along with having a plan to get USC back to the top. We should be in great hands.

No longer do I want to feel like the head coach is treating the fanbase like some fools. With the results on gameday not matching up with what's being said after each practice.

Last edited:

AMLTrojan

Aug 24, 2017
The difficulty of recruiting at Pedo State needs to be taken into account here. That university has a permanent stain on it.
You think kids know or care about that ancient history? Like Baylor can't recruit bball players because once upon a time a player killed his teammate?

MongoSlade

Aug 24, 2017
Damn. I wish they would make a hire. Y’all mf’s find something wrong with everyone. Urban isn’t leaving early enough to take this job. Saban isn’t coming at all. Cristobal is a dream but would be a nice get. Folks find something wrong with Fickell who is in a low level conference, they don’t like Franklin, O’Brien failed as a GM so therefore he can’t coach, Campbell can’t beat Iowa, Fleck is a cheerleader, Eric B doesn’t call plays, Deion is too swaggy and is not a real coach, CDW has no HC experience, yada yada yada. Geez let it end

Who's High Pitch?

Sep 13, 2017

I don't have strong opinions on either of the coaches (I'm still on the "anyone will be better than clay" train) but Peterson lost a regular season game to Helton, Franklin lost with a month to prepare.

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
Damn. I wish they would make a hire. Y’all mf’s find something wrong with everyone. Urban isn’t leaving early enough to take this job. Saban isn’t coming at all. Cristobal is a dream but would be a nice get. Folks find something wrong with Fickell who is in a low level conference, they don’t like Franklin, O’Brien failed as a GM so therefore he can’t coach, Campbell can’t beat Iowa, Fleck is a cheerleader, Eric B doesn’t call plays, Deion is too swaggy and is not a real coach, CDW has no HC experience, yada yada yada. Geez let it end
Facts mongo, facts. Plus most our HC have been from the midwest, not from LA.

TrojanGiftHorse

Jan 31, 2018
Let's be clear about how this stuff happens. When you have a big list of potential candidates, you look for filters that can quickly help you to eliminate the majority of them and get down to a manageable list relatively quickly. When I coach my clients on how to evaluate proposals, that's part of the approach. USC is probably still in the filtering stage.

Last edited:

HOFFA

Sep 2, 2017
You think kids know or care about that ancient history? Like Baylor can't recruit bball players because once upon a time a player killed his teammate?

Absolutely. Both kids and their parents know and care about it.

Penn State is a program with a rich history, but it's not top 5 all-time certainly and arguably not even top 10. So expecting them to bring in a top recruiting class every year, on top of the pedo scandal, is asking a lot.

B1GTROJAN

Sep 7, 2021
Dabo Sweeney or Ryan Day available depending how this seasons finishes out? Better than Franky?

UscTrojanglory

Sep 7, 2017
They say he’s a good recruiter but Penn State recruiting ranking always finishes outside the top 10. They only finished in the top 10 once in the past 5 years.
Do you know where they ranked regularly before he got there?

UscTrojanglory

Sep 7, 2017
How much better than Clay Helton?

Checks all the boxes for people tho.

✅Head Coach experience
✅Good Recruiter
✅Has the history of taking a terrible team like Vandy and making them respectable
✅This years Penn State team is outstanding
✅Not a pushover. I like that he has some b@lls and an aggressive side to him. When some media dudes get out of line he will hit em back.
✅Guys like to play for him.
✅This is a stupid way to hire a coach but for those USC nitwit fans that think skin color should factor into a hire he checks that box too.

He’s in my B group because I thought he should’ve had PS in the playoffs by now. This years team could do it. Another obstacle is his buyout is going to be insane? He’s like a 6 million a year coach that signed a extension last year?

His coaching record is 63-28
Clay Helton was 46-24

Very similar numbers….Clay even beat him head to head?
The numbers are similar when you don’t apply context. Franklin took over a team that’s a known doormat and team on sanctions. Clay took over stacked roster. Nothing similar about that. Franklin lost to the best SC team in the past 13 or 14 years with the best QB we’ve he since Matt Leinart. He has also beat Urban Meyer and Chris Petersen. The same Chris Petersen that people love who also lost at home to Helton. He’s at the top of my B group with Petersen. The top level is Meyer and Stoops. Next would be Franklin and Petersen imo.

UscTrojanglory

Sep 7, 2017
They won’t finish #1. They don’t even have one 5 star recruit. It’s how they finish not what they are ranked now. check their history rankings the past 5 years
They will never end up number 1 they don’t have the base to do that so your whole point is dumb to begin with. Penn State is recruiting at the highest level it ever has period. The points some of you try to make against the man are literally dumb as hell. Penn state has never had a top 5 class before Franklin ever. He had Vandy ranked in the 20s...

Peete2Affholter

Aug 24, 2017
They will never end up number 1 they don’t have the base to do that so your whole point is dumb to begin with. Penn State is recruiting at the highest level it ever has period. The points some of you try to make against the man are literally dumb as hell. Penn state has never had a top 5 class before Franklin ever. He had Vandy ranked in the 20s...

This surprises me. I thought that Joe Paterno recruited well, especially back when Pennsylvania was also a HS football hotbed.

Franklin doesn't excite me, but he does check a lot of boxes.

Then again, so did Larry Smith.

Reactions: TrojanFireHorse12

Peete2Affholter

Aug 24, 2017
So no Chris Petersen then? Maybe we should forget urban then because he managed to lose to someone that lost to Helton?

Yes. Since Clay Helton was the worst coach in the history of coaching, anyone who lost to him is by definition worse.

Jeez - I guess this coaching search has fused and burnt the humor-detection apparatus in many folks' brains.

Vgladiator07

Sep 9, 2019
You do know Penn. State has THE #1 RECRUITING CLASS IN 2022, no?

Currently listed at # 1, but only because Penn St got most of their slots filled early. When the rest of the teams fill out their slots, Penn St will likely slide down to the # 10 Class Nationally.

AnArchitect

Sep 3, 2017
The difficulty of recruiting at Pedo State needs to be taken into account here. That university has a permanent stain on it.
...it doesn't though.
James Franklin can walk into any living room between Maine and just short of Blacksburg, from NYC to Cincinnati (other than Columbus), up in to Michigan if he wants - ESPECIALLY in the recruiting GOLDMINE that is Western PA - and get taken seriously by a kid and his parents. They are the only real football game in the Northeast. Folks remember and venerate Joe Pa, think Sandusky was a blip, and know how Happy Valley lives and DIES by football, and that their son would be going off to a place that could develop him for the League.

Reactions: AMLTrojan

AnArchitect

Sep 3, 2017

Fickell DOES have championship experience though, under Meyer.

He's got one of them rangs.

DaFireMedic

Aug 24, 2017
You want national titles...you get a dude who will get you a national title. That means spending $$.
Bama, Georgia, Oklahoma, Ohio State do it. SC needs to get in the game.
Of the four you named, three are paying the $$ to guys who have never won an NC as an HC.

I agree though about paying the necessary bucks when the right HC is found.

Reactions: TrojanFireHorse12

trojan raul

Aug 24, 2017
Of the four you named, three are paying the $$ to guys who have never won an NC as an HC.

I agree though about paying the necessary bucks when the right HC is found.
You are absolutely right, but they're always in the conversation and in the playoffs. We need to get in the conversation. Tired of being on the outside looking in.

Reactions: DaFireMedic

GoSC27!

Sep 30, 2017
**On my way back to the car, I bumped into someone from Heritage Hall, and we spoke for about 10 minutes, talking about the recent changes and coaching search. Nothing is going on right now. No one has been interviewed or vetted.
from Marc’s Wednesday’s practice notes!
Fight On!

Latest posts