Larry Brown - claims SC vetting Franklin

Troy70

Aug 24, 2017
He is not super clean so has high moral bar been lowered? What do you think of him as next HC?

Jay4usc

Jan 10, 2018
He is not super clean so has high moral bar been lowered? What do you think of him as next HC?
They say he’s a good recruiter but Penn State recruiting ranking always finishes outside the top 10. They only finished in the top 10 once in the past 5 years.

Reactions: CrownoftheValley

Troy Dad 2016

Aug 30, 2021
Before it's all over, I would imagine Bohn and Sosna will vet 8-10 different candidates. Good for them. This is something Haden failed to do. As for Franklin, he may not be a home-run hire, but certainly a standup triple. Solid. He could win the conference every year. Maybe that would be his motivation for making such a move. Could he regularly compete for a NC at USC? That's a much higher bar.

AnArchitect

Sep 3, 2017
Good.
So they'll find all the skeletons in his closet and realize he's too much of a liability to be the Head Coach at a university that's trying to clean up its image.

At least they're vetting them this time.
Unlike Sark and Helton...

SC2015Lev

Jun 1, 2019
They say he’s a good recruiter but Penn State recruiting ranking always finishes outside the top 10. They only finished in the top 10 once in the past 5 years.
That's not a bad thing either, means he is clearly coaching talent. Perhaps the gap between him and tOSU is talent. Like Petersen said last week on air, there is talent and then there is skill. You teach skill, which has been SC's problem.

Outside the 2019 class, look how well Clay "recruited". He had 4 top 10 classes, 2 of which were top 5. Mike and brandon have shown they are committed to putting the support around the coach so if Franklin isn't a great recruiter I'm sure Mike and Brandon will find people to work with him that are (i.e., Gavin, Donte, Armond, Viane)

HRPickenstuff

Aug 24, 2017
How much better than Clay Helton?

Checks all the boxes for people tho.

✅Head Coach experience
✅Good Recruiter
✅Has the history of taking a terrible team like Vandy and making them respectable
✅This years Penn State team is outstanding
✅Not a pushover. I like that he has some b@lls and an aggressive side to him. When some media dudes get out of line he will hit em back.
✅Guys like to play for him.
✅This is a stupid way to hire a coach but for those USC nitwit fans that think skin color should factor into a hire he checks that box too.

He’s in my B group because I thought he should’ve had PS in the playoffs by now. This years team could do it. Another obstacle is his buyout is going to be insane? He’s like a 6 million a year coach that signed a extension last year?

His coaching record is 63-28
Clay Helton was 46-24

Very similar numbers….Clay even beat him head to head?

SoCal42

Aug 24, 2017
Not a fan. We’ll win 9-10 games a year and then get annihilated in a bowl game. It’d be the ultimate tease for USC fans wanting to win a championship. I’d rather shoot for a home run hire (Meyer) or take a bit more risk on someone that doesn’t look like they’ve peaked (Campbell).
If they want energy and recruiting, I’d rather go with Cristobal. He recruits better, knows the west coast and it’s a blow to the current recruiting rival.

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
Good.
So they'll find all the skeletons in his closet and realize he's too much of a liability to be the Head Coach at a university that's trying to clean up its image.

At least they're vetting them this time.
Unlike Sark and Helton...
I find it hypocritical, if this story story is legitimate, that Bohn would claim on one hand that character is 1 of his top 3 requirements for the job, but then would even consider Franklin. His issues are not exactly a secret.

The man admitted to flat out lying to his players in a rape case involving 4 players on the team. He failed the character test then and and that's not his only problem.

BehindSunset

Aug 24, 2017
Not a fan. We’ll win 9-10 games a year and then get annihilated in a bowl game. It’d be the ultimate tease for USC fans wanting to win a championship. I’d rather shoot for a home run hire (Meyer) or take a bit more risk on someone that doesn’t look like they’ve peaked (Campbell).
If they want energy and recruiting, I’d rather go with Cristobal. He recruits better, knows the west coast and it’s a blow to the current recruiting rival.
While a part of me agrees with you, not everyone wants to come here. Cristobal may feel he's got a better shot with more reasonable expectations at Oregon than he ever will have here. Campbell may not want to come to LA.

BehindSunset

Aug 24, 2017
I find it hypocritical, if this story story is legitimate, that Bohn would claim on one hand that character is 1 of his top 3 requirements for the job, but then would even consider Franklin. His issues are not exactly a secret.

The man admitted to flat out lying to his players in a rape case involving 4 players on the team. He failed the character test then and and that's not his only problem.
it's a red flag, to say the least.

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
In addition, Franklin's buyout, should he leave for an NFL or another college coaching position, lowers from $5 million to $4 million in 2021
Not a huge buyout
But neither Meyer or Cristobal are leaving their jobs...I'd like Fickell or Campbell or even Dan Quinn. But it's only a vetting process if true. Lot more vetting processes to come.

Last edited:

trojan raul

Aug 24, 2017
NO! I repeat NO. It would be a terrible hire. My god...what are these people thinking?!?
Franklin does not equal National Championships.
If oddsmakers are saying Urban in top three, you throw the bank at the guy. If not, Plan B should not include many of the names thrown around. Those SEC clowns want us to hire these clowns recently mentioned and we will be stuck in the same cycle of irrelevance.
You want national titles...you get a dude who will get you a national title. That means spending $$.
Bama, Georgia, Oklahoma, Ohio State do it. SC needs to get in the game. Make it impossible to say no thanks.
And when the money is rolling in via butts in the seats, TV revenue, admissions...SC brass will then see it was money well spent.
It's called a sound investment.

Last edited:

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
NO! I repeat NO. It would be a terrible hire. My god...what are these people thinking?!?
Franklin does not equal National Championships.
If oddsmakers are saying Urban in top three, you throw the bank at the guy. If not, Plan B should not include many of the names thrown around. Those SEC clowns want us to hire these clowns recently mentioned and we will be stuck in the same cycle of irrelevance.
You want national titles...you get a dude who will get you a national title. That means spending $$.
Bama, Georgia, Oklahoma, Ohio State do it. SC needs to get in the game. Make it impossible to say no thanks.
And when the money is rolling in via butts in the seats, TV revenue, admissions...SC brass will say that was a good investment.
So you got no guesses? Franklin just beat a ranked Auburn team, do you think Hugs could do that? mind you I'm not on the Franklin bandwagon at all. But i wouldn't call it terrible. Terrible would be the ppl advocating for USC to hire Del Rio (every year since Hugs was hired) or fools putting out Sanders name on the airwaves for the job. Or believing that Meyer is ready to ditch the Jags.

Last edited:

xuscx

Aug 24, 2017
Picking a great assistant has worked better than throwing money, most of the time. Just saying. Who is that Ram coach again and where was he a head coach before. USC has time, a lot of time, they also have a lot of contacts, how about they work their butts off and find that gem hire

trojan raul

Aug 24, 2017
Firehorse, I don't have an answer. But it's not Franklin. Please let it not be Franklin. He's done nothing and will do nothing at SC. My nickname for him is Fizzle Franklin. The dude would be a lukewarm and not a homerun hire. We need a homerun hire...whoever that may be.

A homerun hire would be someone with a championship pedigree. That's all I can come up with. And outside of Meyer, at this point in time, I don't know who that is. But please God, not Franklin.

I think we are all sick of mediocre football. And with Fizzle Franklin, I think we get more of that.

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
Firehorse, I don't have an answer. But it's not Franklin. Please let it not be Franklin. He's done nothing and will do nothing at SC. My nickname for him is Fizzle Franklin. The dude would be a lukewarm and not a homerun hire. We need a homerun hire...whoever that may be.

A homerun hire would be someone with a championship pedigree. That's all I can come up with. And outside of Meyer, at this point in time, I don't know who that is. But please God, not Franklin.

I think we are all sick of mediocre football. And with Fizzle Franklin, I think we get more of that.
Why would it be lukewarm, do you have insight into him? I saw him on the sideline, seemed like a pretty excitable dude. But you may pay closer attention to him than I do. I tend to avoid pedo state.

Cyrus.usc

Aug 24, 2017
Meyer should be on the top of the list because he is a sure thing, we will be NC contenders right away. But if Urban is not available then Franklin maybe an OK alternative.

I like his energy. And he will be a major upgrade over Helton.

I liked what Franklin said after a very close loss to Meyer and Ohio State. He said he wants his team to be elite and then said “we are a great team but not yet elite, the team that beat us is elite”. That was the correct assessment and the correct ambition.

qqqqqqqman

Aug 24, 2017
They won’t finish #1. They don’t even have one 5 star recruit. It’s how they finish not what they are ranked now. check their history rankings the past 5 years

Well, yeah, I can only go by where they are now. You don’t get even an interim #1 class of 24 recruits without being a solid recruiter.

After PERHAPS the Top2 classes, there’s little on-the-field difference between having a Top5 vs. Top10 recruiting class anyway. ”Star systems” only go so far in final product….that’s where coaching comes in.

TroyBill

Aug 24, 2017
I am taking a wait and see on the selection of a coach. I want to see what this team is going to do before I get excited. If we get our asses kicked by one or more teams in the next month then the decision is easy. What if we beat ND and UCLA and run the table? I don't see that remotely happening but playing devil's advocate, do we give Donte any consideration?

Reactions: Redskins Rick

SoCal42

Aug 24, 2017
While a part of me agrees with you, not everyone wants to come here. Cristobal may feel he's got a better shot with more reasonable expectations at Oregon than he ever will have here. Campbell may not want to come to LA.
I get what you’re saying….I live in the Midwest and realize there’s a major cultural difference, especially from Ames. My main disagreement with the Franklin interest is I don’t believe he’s going to win us national championships. In the end, that’s what matters to the USC football fans I know.

Meyer - long shot…we screwed this one up a couple years ago. I’m still doing whatever I can to convince him his legacy is college football. He can either end his career on a low note with the Jags or be the hero to one of the most stories programs.

Campbell - “may” not want to head west. I haven’t heard many reports of Campbell denying interest or any Iowa reporters even bringing it up. He develops players and his teams play physical for him. Maybe his ceiling isn’t as high as Franklin, but I’d rather take the chance.

Cristobal - has a good thing going in Oregon but he has to know he could recruit easier at USC. Majority of the players he recruits are an easy drive from the coliseum.

Im just using these guys as examples…there’s other coaches I’d prefer before Franklin. I just don’t like how eSECpn and the National narrative keeps pushing a guy because he’s “energetic” and “fits” LA. Whoever can bring home the crystal will “fit” LA.

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
I am taking a wait and see on the selection of a coach. I want to see what this team is going to do before I get excited. If we get our asses kicked by one or more teams in the next month then the decision is easy. What if we beat ND and UCLA and run the table? I don't see that remotely happening but playing devil's advocate, do we give Donte any consideration?
Maybe but he has to beat out other coaching candidates. He can't be the final option regardless of how this team does in this season, long term is what we should be thinking. Not in the moment. Players will scream for him but they also screamed for Hugs to be Head Coach and we know how that turned out. Of course they are different ppl and Donte seems to be have a lot of connections. But we may want avoid repeating 2015.

mickhooligan

Aug 27, 2017
How much better than Clay Helton?

Checks all the boxes for people tho.

✅Head Coach experience
✅Good Recruiter
✅Has the history of taking a terrible team like Vandy and making them respectable
✅This years Penn State team is outstanding
✅Not a pushover. I like that he has some b@lls and an aggressive side to him. When some media dudes get out of line he will hit em back.
✅Guys like to play for him.
✅This is a stupid way to hire a coach but for those USC nitwit fans that think skin color should factor into a hire he checks that box too.

He’s in my B group because I thought he should’ve had PS in the playoffs by now. This years team could do it. Another obstacle is his buyout is going to be insane? He’s like a 6 million a year coach that signed a extension last year?

His coaching record is 63-28
Clay Helton was 46-24

Very similar numbers….Clay even beat him head to head?
Don’t forget, Penn State got screwed out of the playoffs the year they beat OSU

trojan raul

Aug 24, 2017
I get what you’re saying….I live in the Midwest and realize there’s a major cultural difference, especially from Ames. My main disagreement with the Franklin interest is I don’t believe he’s going to win us national championships. In the end, that’s what matters to the USC football fans I know.

Meyer - long shot…we screwed this one up a couple years ago. I’m still doing whatever I can to convince him his legacy is college football. He can either end his career on a low note with the Jags or be the hero to one of the most stories programs.

Campbell - “may” not want to head west. I haven’t heard many reports of Campbell denying interest or any Iowa reporters even bringing it up. He develops players and his teams play physical for him. Maybe his ceiling isn’t as high as Franklin, but I’d rather take the chance.

Cristobal - has a good thing going in Oregon but he has to know he could recruit easier at USC. Majority of the players he recruits are an easy drive from the coliseum.

Im just using these guys as examples…there’s other coaches I’d prefer before Franklin. I just don’t like how eSECpn and the National narrative keeps pushing a guy because he’s “energetic” and “fits” LA. Whoever can bring home the crystal will “fit” LA.
Whoever can bring home the crystal.
Bingo.

Reactions: TrojanFireHorse12

TroyBill

Aug 24, 2017
Maybe but he has to beat out other coaching candidates. He can't be the final option regardless of how this team does in this season, long term is what we should be thinking. Not in the moment. Players will scream for him but they also screamed for Hugs to be Head Coach and we know how that turned out. Of course they are different ppl and Donte seems to be have a lot of connections. But we may want avoid repeating 2015.
I am not pushing Donte to be the coach specifically but I am trying to keep an open mind. Regardless, if he does well he will get courted by everyone. Even if he does not get the HC we should find a way to keep him. It will not be easy.

JayBird23

Nov 17, 2018
A fucla acquaintance the day Helton got canned told me no way on Fickell and SC would hire someone like Franklin. So that was all I needed to hear to turn me off. I don’t like bRuins selecting our coach.

keep vetting!

Reactions: TrojanFireHorse12

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
I am not pushing Donte to be the coach specifically but I am trying to keep an open mind. Regardless, if he does well he will get courted by everyone. Even if he does not get the HC we should find a way to keep him. It will not be easy.
I think he stays, we know why he came to USC (his family, his father). I'd be surprised if he doesn't though - like you said - he will have lots of offers, but what better place could he be at other than USC? who is going to offer him a HC job, right out the gate? maybe in two years. I could see it but not now.

But I guess the real question should be will the person picked to coach at USC want to keep him on the staff? they would be dumb to let him go.

Last edited:
Reactions: Troy70 and TroyBill

Latest posts