Let’s look ahead to 2024 PSU Football. 😀

FrontierLion

Oct 12, 2021
same was true of Hack and he had a different coach- sometimes players are just overrated.
True, though I would argue Hack’s freshman year with BOB wasn’t all that bad. Once CJF’s offensive style came into play, Hack was toast.

Why do we always end up with the overrated guys? Other programs pump out QB’s like a factory.

AvgUser

Oct 7, 2021
What could fans reasonably expect given that we lost both coordinators, an AA OT, an All B1G DE, and 2 CBs projected to be drafted in the first 3 rounds of the NFL Draft?
How about a competent offense? The one they trotted out there today was middle school. The QB has zero confidence in himself. He’s scared of making mistakes. He’s indecisive. He has no touch. He is the reason we lost OSU and UM, and now Miss. BOth QB a the head coach are in over their heads.

Aside from Iowa, the PSU offense is abysmal

Reactions: Nits74 and Omar81

lemonears

Oct 31, 2021
Prediction: I predict that Allar will soon enter the portal. Think about it from his standpoint. He came to PSU as the second ranked QB in the country. I'm sure he was certain that after next year he would be a first round draft pick and make millions. It isn't working out for him at PSU. I doubt that he thinks it is his fault. He (and his supporters) will tell him that he isn't being coached very well, PSU has wide receivers that suck and they will be even worse next year, the OL will be worse next year, and the offensive coordinator is unproven. Allar will conclude he has a better chance at the NFL by playing elsewhere. Once other coaches sniff out that he may want to leave, Allar will get a lot of contacts. I bet a month from now he is gone. Just my opinion.

I bet Allar thinks about Michael Penix. He was a pedestrian QB at Indiana. After 1 season at Washington he was in the Heisman finals and is going to be a first round draft pick.

Last edited:

Daveb9127

Nov 29, 2021
I believe that some of the opt out situations will be taken care of next year by the playoff expansion to 12 teams. You will have more players opting to play to have that shot at an NC. Right now, does it matter if you're ranked 11 or 16 at the end ?? No. And, I'm willing to give the new Co-ord's some slack. AK seems like someone who knows how to get the most out of his players and put them into position to succeed. Offense should be better, although tackle is thin and we need some portals, but D will take a hit with those corners, TA will need to have the safeties help over top if we have the same corners, which did not happen in todays game.

FTLPSU

Oct 6, 2021
Most concerning to me for 2024 isn’t the wide receiver situation. Hypothetically, we could pick up a few decent players in the portal to pick up the slack.

My main concern moving forward is the development of our QB. Seems like the distant past when coaches in know were touting Allar as “a quarterback that can make throws that only a few people on the planet can make.” Is that the guy we saw today (or this year for that matter)?

In another universe, if Drew commits to Ohio State - or Michigan - or A&M - or any one of the other handful of offers he had - and becomes the starter in 2023, what does he look like today? There were times in today‘s game where he looked like it was his first time stepping on a college football field.
Levis is the example..

Reactions: ChandlerPearce

stater02

Jan 17, 2022
We need to hit the portal for a QB. I had high hopes for Allar but the kid just doesn’t have it. How many tipped passes today?

Why would any WR worth a damn want to portal to us?

I’m looking forward to hopefully better play calling next year but damn, the execution on passing downs has been deplorable.

MacNit

Oct 12, 2021
A running QB never hurts in any situation ever… assuming he can also throw the ball. Unless we have the offensive line of the 2000’s New England Patriots, Drew’s style of play isn’t going to work. And since our O-Line never seems to be a strength…
Drew had plenty of time, open receivers, and a kick a$$ running game today…but he was very inaccurate and not what we needed to win

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
Obviously the lions share is D-1 football and basketball . Would you think all the other stuff would add up to ? $3 billion ?
PSU was 9th most profitable per this determination.

Guy who put together that chart is an intellectually lazy turd. Oregon is such a major outlier and he fails to notate it? Di he even bother to ask why? Took me about three minutes: in 2020 they received nearly $300mm in donations (guess who the largest benefactor was) to fund the renovation of Hayward Field.

Hirko is the poster boy for why higher ed is failing in this country. From his profile:
Assistant Professor
Wayne State University · Full-time
Jan 2023 - Present · 1 yrJan 2023 - Present · 1 yr
Joined the Sport Administration & Management Program in January 2023, teaching Sport Finance, History of Sport, and Sport Communications & Media.

Do the other sports add to $3bn? Have no good idea. If there were an Over/Under, I'd take the under. Reason: Media rights contracts for the whoe kit and kaboodle don't amount to squadoosh (that may change for women's basketball in the near future). That leaves the gate as pretty much the sole contributor. Under.

Catch1lion

Oct 12, 2021
He does mention Phil Knight and Oregon . I’m unsure of the legitimacy of the rest of his spiel .
At some point the university’s will kill the golden goose .

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
He does mention Phil Knight and Oregon . I’m unsure of the legitimacy of the rest of his spiel .
At some point the university’s will kill the golden goose .
Except that Knight doesn't account for anywhere near all of the donations and how does Hirko account for the future mismatch when the funds are disbursed (NCAA accounting gets funny with the handling of that).

Catch1lion

Oct 12, 2021
Except that Knight doesn't account for anywhere near all of the donations and how does Hirko account for the future mismatch when the funds are disbursed (NCAA accounting gets funny with the handling of that).
You mean there’s not transparency?

LionsAndBears

Oct 13, 2021
In 2024, I want everyone to know that I will not be entering the Transfer Portal, however I may choose to Opt Out of Season Tix. Respect My Decision! 100%

Last edited:

Corner Room Breakfast

Oct 27, 2021
How much control AK has for the offense, is critical, and that means who the starting QB is.

As far as the Defense goes , i liked Manny , but we got beat by the running game of Michigan two years
in a row , same goes for OSU , Harrison on almost the same routes. Hopefully TA can install some
nastiness in the Defense. They are tough but not nasty big difference.

Alphalion75

Oct 21, 2021
I watched more MAC, Sunbelt, Ivy, and Mountain West games this year. I pretty much ignored the ‘paid’ players and enjoyed the season. It’s an option for those of you fed up with this bs.
I like that option.

blion72

Oct 30, 2021
I agree - but it’s hard to tell since we never really get to see what BP can do. We know he can run. I would think if you are having WR issues, a running QB couldn’t hurt.
I think QB ability to run is table stakes in the new CFB game. Drew can run, but seems so hesitant even though ha often has success. Whoever is the QB we need to have that threat.

Reactions: Midnighter

BiochemPSU

Oct 30, 2021
Could be a hard year with a new OC and DC and a HC who seems incapable of beating anyone who can actually fight back.

Reactions: Nits74

Yogiman71

Oct 8, 2021
What could fans reasonably expect given that we lost both coordinators, an AA OT, an All B1G DE, and 2 CBs projected to be drafted in the first 3 rounds of the NFL Draft?
Well said, our Defense today was not he same defense of the season and it really impacted us especially in the passing game.

Charlie1978

Dec 8, 2022
Are fans allowed to opt out..........we got coaches and players opting out.Im done donating money to quitters!!!!!!
Even Riddick a Pitt grad pointed out that it wasn't our players or their attitude, King, Carter, Miller, KJ, Singleton, our line, were all praised for their temperment and effort from Louis. Our kids our gems our coaches can't shine

Reactions: cmentheadcra k

Madsol

Oct 6, 2021
Should players being paid be allowed to opt out?
If the people paying them agree, then yes. That might be a sort of temporary fix for the opt outs--people paying the NIL money contractually require the players to compete in ALL games, unless injured. Teams and players could fudge that probably but you can only bite the hand that feeds you so often.

leinbacker

Oct 13, 2021
I believe that some of the opt out situations will be taken care of next year by the playoff expansion to 12 teams. You will have more players opting to play to have that shot at an NC. Right now, does it matter if you're ranked 11 or 16 at the end ?? No. And, I'm willing to give the new Co-ord's some slack. AK seems like someone who knows how to get the most out of his players and put them into position to succeed. Offense should be better, although tackle is thin and we need some portals, but D will take a hit with those corners, TA will need to have the safeties help over top if we have the same corners, which did not happen in todays game.

I wonder though, if you are not going to play one game because of risk, then why play four?

OhioLion

Oct 12, 2021
I wonder though, if you are not going to play one game because of risk, then why play four?
I’m waiting for the day a player sees his team is not making the 12-team playoff, with say 3 games remaining, and opts out of the rest of the season.
The day is coming IMO.

OL

• Sad
Reactions: BobPSU92

Madsol

Oct 6, 2021
This is the take that drives me nuts. When was the last time PSU was a legitimate contender? The 90’s? But today broke the camels back?
Hope springs eternal. Even in Joe's later years, we had 2005. We had 2008. (I think we would have matched up well with either Florida or Oklahoma in 2008. We didn't match-up at all with USC and it showed.) Given what we've seen after 10 years of Franklin's coaching limitations and the current landscape of CFB, what reason is there to believe we are on the cusp of joining the higher echelon of CFB?

I'll answer my own question with an admittedly unlikely answer: Michigan. At the end of 2020, Michigan and Harbaugh were left for dead. Heck, we had beaten them when we were 0-5. But now they're in their 3rd straight CFP. They've won 3 straight B1G championships. They've beaten OSU 3 years in a row. And they haven't lost a B1G game since mid-2021. I don't know what their NIL is and I don't think they're big portal players. So seeing their metamorphosis gives hope that maybe the same thing could happen here. But other than that, I don't see where the hope comes from.

Nits74

Oct 19, 2021
We need to hit the portal for a QB. I had high hopes for Allar but the kid just doesn’t have it. How many tipped passes today?

Why would any WR worth a damn want to portal to us?

I’m looking forward to hopefully better play calling next year but damn, the execution on passing downs has been deplorable.
Or any QB for that matter.

Bvillebaron

Oct 12, 2021
Best post.

Reactions: LB99

Bvillebaron

Oct 12, 2021
I don’t know how serious you are, but in my Penn State buddies text group, I asked 2 guys why they follow the team. They are seriously miserable from Labor Day to New Year’s Day. Hate the coach and do nothing but bellyache. MISERABLE!
I honestly don’t know why anyone who hates the coaching staff of a team would watch the team.
One of the guys has season tickets and flies in from Colorado 2-3 times a year. Why? You hate Franklin, why attend or watch? I know I’ll make some enemies on here with my comments, but life will go on.

As for those opting out. I would thank them for their time and ask them to clean out their locker as they are no longer part of the team. I understand not wanting to get injured …..

OL
Yeah I thought it was odd that Olu opted out but was on the sideline in his uniform.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
I expect that to eventually happen. How soon?
I’m waiting for the day a player sees his team is not making the 12-team playoff, with say 3 games remaining, and opts out of the rest of the season.
The day is coming IMO.

OL
Surprised it hasn't happened already,

Reactions: OhioLion

Bvillebaron

Oct 12, 2021
There are plenty of younger fans ready to pick up the torch and donate millions.....JoeBots be gone...
What exactly is a JoeBot? I for one recognize and celebrate Paterno being one of the greatest college coaches of all time. However, he should have retired at least 10 years before 2011. He also was made the biggest scapegoat that I have ever seen over the Sandusky situation by spineless leaders who were only too happy to throw him under the bus to cover their butts. I also am a big Franklin supporter and defend him constantly against his many haters. Some people can walk and chew gum at the same time son.

Madsol

Oct 6, 2021
What exactly is a JoeBot? I for one recognize and celebrate Paterno being one of the greatest college coaches of all time. However, he should have retired at least 10 years before 2011. He also was made the biggest scapegoat that I have ever seen over the Sandusky situation by spineless leaders who were only too happy to throw him under the bus to cover their butts. I also am a big Franklin supporter and defend him constantly against his many haters. Some people can walk and chew gum at the same time son.
I think (hope?) most of us fall into this same camp. It's the vocal minority that makes it seem like we're nuts for deeply admiring Paterno and his contributions to PSU while also desperately wanting Franklin to succeed because he seems to have his priorities right.

Reactions: LB99 and Nitt1300

Latest posts