Let's just go ahead and get this baseball season over with so Kingston can be fired

Forkcock

Jan 21, 2022
We all knew Kingston was leaving the starter in too long. We all knew it would bite us. Everyone knew but Mark Kingston.

Reactions: cocky46

SC95

Joined Mar 31, 2008
Jan 31, 2022
If a championship baker opens a restaurant, I expect the baked goods to be excellent. Similarly, I expect a great baseball team under Tanner's watch.

Bubba Fett

Joined Oct 6, 2000
Feb 1, 2022
I said from the start this wasn't going to be a great season. In a sense we probably overachieved some, at least until these last two weeks. Normally, overachieving would be a good thing for a coach, but in this case the coach is responsible for the starting point and the low expectations.

I don't think Kingston is going to be let go however. There have been some high points, and we will stumble into postseason play somewhere. That seems to be enough to keep your job now.

Reactions: USCEDGE and 92Pony

1982cock

Jan 22, 2022
I said from the start this wasn't going to be a great season. In a sense we probably overachieved some, at least until these last two weeks. Normally, overachieving would be a good thing for a coach, but in this case the coach is responsible for the starting point and the low expectations.

I don't think Kingston is going to be let go however. There have been some high points, and we will stumble into postseason play somewhere. That seems to be enough to keep your job now.
Please let you be wrong. We have to fire Kingston. So many poor coaching decisions don’t even know where to start.
I’m hoping the total collapse down the stretch is enough to force a move.

Reactions: Bubba Fett

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
Tanner struck out with Holbrook. It looks like he is down to 2 strikes on Kingston. And that's in Tanner's wheelhouse. He struck out on Muschamp. The jury is out on Beamer. If Beamer goes down like Joe Frazier and I was on the Board of Trustees, I'd order President Dr. Amiridis to take the hire out of Tanner's hands and make the hire himself. Dr. Amiridis is a smart man. I'd trust his judgment before Tanner's.

Cybercock

Jan 20, 2022

Look at our out of conference opponents.
Weak af.
We didn't overachieve.

Reactions: bayrooster

Bubba Fett

Joined Oct 6, 2000
Feb 1, 2022
Look at our out of conference opponents.
Weak af.
We didn't overachieve.
It's debatable. We had a few good, although short, runs. Kingston just hasn't built a good enough team. Finding, evaluating, and properly using pitchers has been weak.

I think anyone on this board that follows baseball could have guided this team to just as many wins by doing nothing else other than letting the assistants do their jobs.

It's time for someone else, but like I said, he probably isn't going anywhere.

Bubba Fett

Joined Oct 6, 2000
Feb 1, 2022
Please let you be wrong. We have to fire Kingston. So many poor coaching decisions don’t even know where to start.
I’m hoping the total collapse down the stretch is enough to force a move.
I hope I'm wrong too. 🥺

CAROLINA COCKTAIL

Joined Feb 15, 2018
Jan 17, 2022
I don’t really follow beisbol, but I favor anything that hastens Tanner’s departure.

While I also would like to see him go, since he has 2 CWS rings +1, Dawn's 3 NCAA's (plus the Covid Ghost Championship), 5 final fours and the turnaround Paris pulled off this season, Ray ain't going anyplace, until HE decides to retire..... unfortunately.

HEY! Maybe if Paris turns the MBB program around, like Dawn did, we'll all fall in love with Ray-Ray again .... once Beamer's gone.

Patriot321

Jan 29, 2022
I ask one more time, why fire Kingston when Tanner will just replace him with his 3rd straight terrible hire in baseball? How can anybody think Tanner is a good AD? What has he done, and since we are on a baseball thread, what has Tanner done to improve (or maintain) our baseball team since he left. Tanner needs to go!

Blues man

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Jan 22, 2022
I ask one more time, why fire Kingston when Tanner will just replace him with his 3rd straight terrible hire in baseball? How can anybody think Tanner is a good AD? What has he done, and since we are on a baseball thread, what has Tanner done to improve (or maintain) our baseball team since he left. Tanner needs to go!
So you are saying keep Kingston as long as Ray is AD?

Blues man

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Jan 22, 2022
I thought he was saying Tanner needs to go before anything will improve.
... and if Tanner stays? I mean I have no confidence in Tanner as well. But I doubt Tanner goes anywhere. So I'm just curious what the board thinks what's next if that's how it plays out?

Last edited:

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
Apparently, I was wrong in thinking that everyone had come to their senses in realizing that hiring Holbrook as coach-in-waiting looked to be a good move at the time. It turned out to a bad hire in retrospect.

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
I don’t really follow beisbol, but I favor anything that hastens Tanner’s departure.
Tanner is not going anywhere until his retirement in summer of 2026 (forgot which month). Per "rumors" the odds on favorite for his replacement will be Miller.

Last edited:
Reactions: CAROLINA COCKTAIL

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
Chad currently has CofC (38-12) in first place in his conference (20-5) and 101-50 (.669) conference record. Just say'n'.
Holbrook didn't lose his job over on-the-field performance. His blow-up with Buscher didn't help him and then in interviewed with his old friend who was the CoC AD behind everyone's back. CoC's former coach sued the school and won over the incident.

TN-Gamecock

Joined May 10, 2002
Jan 29, 2022
I agree. When we lost the series with UGA, it made my mind up that a change is needed.

doubledawg55

Joined Oct 21, 2018 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Feb 1, 2022
Apparently, I was wrong in thinking that everyone had come to their senses in realizing that hiring Holbrook as coach-in-waiting looked to be a good move at the time. It turned out to a bad hire in retrospect.
I thought it was a good hire. Tanner was having trouble getting over the hump b4 he hired Holbrook. For whatever reason it just didn't work.

CAROLINA COCKTAIL

Joined Feb 15, 2018
Jan 17, 2022
Holbrook didn't lose his job over on-the-field performance. His blow-up with Buscher didn't help him and then in interviewed with his old friend who was the CoC AD behind everyone's back. CoC's former coach sued the school and won over the incident.
Did not know all the 'behind-the-scenes' stuff. But, I can not find fault in the Holbrook hire ... it just didn't work out. Perhaps (I smell BS coming) had he been given the infamous "More Time' results may have improved.

I am not a Kingston supporter in any shape or form. But, 4 outta 5 top ranked teams are SEC. 5 outta top 9. And remember, something like 6 different SEC Schools won the CWS since our amazing run. Whoya gunna get instead??? ....... Holbrook??? LOL

Reactions: Rogue Cock

CAROLINA COCKTAIL

Joined Feb 15, 2018
Jan 17, 2022
I thought it was a good hire. For whatever reason it just didn't work.

LOL!!! Please forgive me. I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to spew my ignorance on a public forum.

Tanner was a hardcore, no BS, teacher of baseball. A scientific/mathematical genius in baseball.He would call a Time Out, not to scream or rant at a player but, to explain what they should/should have looked for. It wasn't against any rules .... He was teaching. He did it often.

I also understand that he was a sonovabitch. Baseball IS NOT PLAYED FOR FUN!!!

Holbrook was the buffer zone .... and it obviously worked.

BUT, when you get THE JOB, everything is different..... LOL!!! Ask Thomas Jefferson.

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
Heard from
LOL!!! Please forgive me. I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to spew my ignorance on a public forum.

Tanner was a hardcore, no BS, teacher of baseball. A scientific/mathematical genius in baseball.He would call a Time Out, not to scream or rant at a player but, to explain what they should/should have looked for. It wasn't against any rules .... He was teaching. He did it often.

I also understand that he was a sonovabitch. Baseball IS NOT PLAYED FOR FUN!!!

Holbrook was the buffer zone .... and it obviously worked.

BUT, when you get THE JOB, everyt
Heard from a former player that if you took 3 strikes without swinging, you wanted to hide in the dugout....the opposing team's dugout. RT was an SOB as a coach.

upstategc

Joined Jul 31, 2007
Jan 25, 2022
Is it just me or is it my imagination that Kingston's hat bill keeps getting lower and lower over his face during the losing streak (game-after-game) as the end of the season is approaching ? ?

Last edited:

rockingamecock

Joined Aug 28, 2001
Feb 2, 2022
Most folks are let go if they can't do their job . . . Kingston is no exception . . . he's an overpaid underachiever.

Reactions: CWW

Blues man

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Jan 22, 2022
Is Kingston liked by the players?
I was wondering that myself. I havent been able to stomach much of their media lately but I was curious if any of the players felt they had to defend the staff or have they been silent on the matter.

Reactions: CWW

CWW

Joined Dec 2, 2013
Feb 1, 2022
Does it matter? The program is a shell of its former self.
You can be liked by your players and not win. Just from interviews…I don’t find him with a lot of personality. I was just interested in how he is perceived by those around him. I don’t expect the players to come out publicly an criticize him or praise him…but I am curious if they enjoy playing for him. I have only seen the team play once this year and they won…but it was a lack luster performance and dugout.

Reactions: will110

Cockywilder

May 13, 2024
We've had seven years to determine Kingston isn't the man for the job. There's no sense in dicking around and waiting for other jobs to come open. Zero advantage to waiting.

Do it now.

Cockywilder

May 13, 2024
Should happen but won’t. We all know what will happen.

Tanner will dawdle around and wait until the season is over. Then maybe go after one guy that is highly regarded and whiff on him as usual. Then settle for some budget hire that nobody has ever heard of and wasn’t on the lists of any other legitimate programs.

Latest posts