Loggains = Muschamp hire

Jonesz2

Joined Aug 9, 2005
Jan 21, 2022
Terrible. Yes our d is bad but I never seen an O line look this terrible

Last edited:

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
And the sad thing is, there's really no way to fix the OL mid-season. If we had better players, they'd be playing. And we were going against a mediocre, at best, DL today. We are in for a rough, rough season.

Fried Chicken

Jan 30, 2022
I’m by no means sold on Loggains. I also don’t expect much improvement. Let me be clear, I don’t think he’ll succeed here. BUT, let’s see how he responds. I don’t totally blame him. This team is more than just a good playcaller away, I do know that.

We have no OL, no RBs. Our top WR (1st team All-SEC) was out. Hard to create works of art with piles of ****. I just made that up, seriously.

Reactions: Pinecock

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
Beamer gets real testy if a reporter questions his judgment. If this offensive horse manure performance continues, we are in for interesting times in Columbia.

One of the TV announcers tonight said he has known Loggains for 12 years and, that he is a "nice guy". Well you know what they say about "nice guys" and "last".

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I would agree here. Hard to judge Logg too much. I’m sure he wanted to run the football. It will be interesting to see what happens from here on out. Looks like you almost just need to go air raid and scrap the handoff all together.
The problem I have is continuing to piss away snaps on run plays when it’s obvious to every single person on the planet that you’re not going to be able to run the ball.

Fried Chicken

Jan 30, 2022
Beamer shouldn’t be questioned about the OC hire tonight. Not after 1 game. Just not going to happen, and shoukdnt

He certainly should be questioned about not kicking the 2 FGs (really just the 1st one), and explain his thought process on basically throwing in the towel by going for it on 4th and 19.

He certainly should be questioned about our RBs or lack thereof.

He should be questioned about our OL giving up 9 sacks and what we need to do to correct it.

He should be questioned about the defensive game plan to stop Drake Maye. Sat back a lot to contain run. But he was throwing all over us.

Viennacock

Jan 21, 2022
Beamer shouldn’t be questioned about the OC hire tonight. Not after 1 game. Just not going to happen, and shoukdnt

He certainly should be questioned about not kicking the 2 FGs (really just the 1st one), and explain his thought process on basically throwing in the towel by going for it on 4th and 19.

He certainly should be questioned about our RBs or lack thereof.

He should be questioned about our OL giving up 9 sacks and what we need to do to correct it.

He should be questioned about the defensive game plan to stop Drake Maye. Sat back a lot to contain run. But he was throwing all over us.
Not sure i agree on your last point. When we tried to bring pressure, they picked it up and burnt us multiple times. If you can't get to Maye when you bring pressure, you are screwed.

Mic4usc

Joined Oct 16, 2015
Jan 22, 2022
I’m by no means sold on Loggains. I also don’t expect much improvement. Let me be clear, I don’t think he’ll succeed here. BUT, let’s see how he responds. I don’t totally blame him. This team is more than just a good playcaller away, I do know that.

We have no OL, no RBs. Our top WR (1st team All-SEC) was out. Hard to create works of art with piles of ****. I just made that up, seriously.
What I don’t get is why Beamer didn’t see this coming. 3rd year dips are REAL especially when you lose experienced OL. This is what happened to UK last year. You have to have an elite OC to overcome poor OL recruiting like Heupel.

Viennacock

Jan 21, 2022
What I don’t get is why Beamer didn’t see this coming. 3rd year dips are REAL especially when you lose experienced OL. This is what happened to UK last year. You have to have an elite OC to overcome poor OL recruiting like Heupel.
Why do you suggest he didn't see this coming? Negativity is not in his DNA.

Fried Chicken

Jan 30, 2022
He might have seen it coming. Not sure we were willing to pay what it takes to get the right OC. Not sure the right OC wants to come work for Beamer.

I really don’t believe Loggains was the #1 target all along. I know what gets said about all that, but just don’t believe it.

What I do know is that when we hired Beamer we knew the coordinator hires would be key. We blew it then. Just not sure Beamer can get guys to work for him, at least not for what we’ll pay.

Mic4usc

Joined Oct 16, 2015
Jan 22, 2022
He might have seen it coming. Not sure we were willing to pay what it takes to get the right OC. Not sure the right OC wants to come work for Beamer.

I really don’t believe Loggains was the #1 target all along. I know what gets said about all that, but just don’t believe it.

What I do know is that when we hired Beamer we knew the coordinator hires would be key. We blew it then. Just not sure Beamer can get guys to work for him, at least not for what we’ll pay.
Coming off last seasons red hot finish, he needed to take advantage. That’s a real complaint. I liked Loggains typo and pass game philosophy. But it’s like Shane just skipped over the need to find a coach with a proven run game scheme. Bad OL plus no run game is a nightmare scenario. Only possible answer is to play the freshman QB bc he’s just a freak athlete.

Fried Chicken

Jan 30, 2022
Coming off last seasons red hot finish, he needed to take advantage. That’s a real complaint. I liked Loggains typo and pass game philosophy. But it’s like Shane just skipped over the need to find a coach with a proven run game scheme. Bad OL plus no run game is a nightmare scenario. Only possible answer is to play the freshman QB bc he’s just a freak athlete.
Well, we did have Mike Bobo who has a proven run game scheme and that was still a disaster. But that was before Beamer (though Beamer technically kept him before he left).

And no. Absolutely do not play LaNorris Sellers this season behind that OL. You let these guys wear these results. Don’t dump this on a freshman and risk ruining him. This is Spencer’s team and he was fine tonight. But Sellers is the long term guy…he’s better off watching right now with this OL blocking.

Jonesz2

Joined Aug 9, 2005
Jan 21, 2022

That’s all on the coaches. D sanders brought in a whole new team of players and they look like a top 30 team.

Reactions: Kferg

Mic4usc

Joined Oct 16, 2015
Jan 22, 2022
And the sad thing is, there's really no way to fix the OL mid-season. If we had better players, they'd be playing. And we were going against a mediocre, at best, DL today. We are in for a rough, rough season.
It means Beamer failed the off-season after ending 2022 in historic fashion. Feels like when Muschamp just hired McClendon for OC. Had a chance to go big, but settled. Beamer knew the OL situation. With the portal, you can avoid the traditional 3rd year dip and it looks like we are in for a full dose of frustration this year. This will put extra pressure on 2024. But at least LOS recruiting is picking up. But still plenty of position groups need major upgrades.

KOTR

Joined Dec 1, 2019
Jan 19, 2022
Dang. Some people need to get a life outside of sports. Am I disappointed? Sure. Do I have other things in my life that are way more important than sports? Of course.

BackinSC

Feb 16, 2022

In other words, "you can't make chicken salad out of chicken S___"!!

KOTR

Joined Dec 1, 2019
Jan 19, 2022
So people posting on a gamecocks sports board shouldn't be posting about the gamecocks game from last night?
You misinterpreted my meaning. There are some who have posted well into the double digits about how all is lost, utter disappointment, or a general woe-is-me attitude. If that's how sports make someone feel, then I think that person needs to learn to focus on more important things.

Reactions: Myrtlecock

Thunderstick

Jan 21, 2022
The University of South Carolina has long been known (years and years) for having an ineffective offensive line. It is useless to expect a fix other than superlative recruiting and development. Our university has not been privy to either.

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
You misinterpreted my meaning. There are some who have posted well into the double digits about how all is lost, utter disappointment, or a general woe-is-me attitude. If that's how sports make someone feel, then I think that person needs to learn to focus on more important things.

I can agree with that.

There's a backstory here too. In the off-season, there are a lot of off topic threads, and a lot of people complaining that we should stick to sports.

Then it takes one game for someone to start talking about how there are other, more important things, and not to dwell on the sports. I found it funny.

I will say, I hope the most vocal around here are venting, and not showing a window into their normal personalities.

Reactions: KOTR

KOTR

Joined Dec 1, 2019
Jan 19, 2022
I can agree with that.

There's a backstory here too. In the off-season, there are a lot of off topic threads, and a lot of people complaining that we should stick to sports.

Then it takes one game for someone to start talking about how there are other, more important things, and not to dwell on the sports. I found it funny.

I will say, I hope the most vocal around here are venting, and not showing a window into their normal personalities.
And, honestly, I don't read the board often enough to realize things like you mentioned. I do agree that I hope these folks are just venting.

Reactions: Lurker123

Kappa Koch1

Feb 6, 2022
When someone says we lost because we weren't willing to pay for a big time Offensive Coordinator didn't see the same game I did. Bill Walsh or Andy Reed couldn't of done a better job with the O-line we had. The passing game was there regardless of the blocking. But without any running game, you can't win. Also everyone is complaining about the 4th and forever call. There isn't a call for 4th and forever when the line isn't blocking. Time runs out quickly and you either throw the ball to whoever is open, or you get sacked. LSU was in the exact position last night and threw the same pass we did because it was the only thing open.

Reactions: Myrtlecock

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
When someone says we lost because we weren't willing to pay for a big time Offensive Coordinator didn't see the same game I did. Bill Walsh or Andy Reed couldn't of done a better job with the O-line we had. The passing game was there regardless of the blocking. But without any running game, you can't win. Also everyone is complaining about the 4th and forever call. There isn't a call for 4th and forever when the line isn't blocking. Time runs out quickly and you either throw the ball to whoever is open, or you get sacked. LSU was in the exact position last night and threw the same pass we did because it was the only thing open.

Would a different OC have had the same issues with the OL?

Meaning, I don't think they are all weak, division 2 rated players, and I think a lot (not all) of their issue was mental. Imho, mental mistakes can be fixed or addressed.

Also, a different OC might have recognized the deficiency before the game and adjusted the gamelan.

Or, you could be right, and nothing would have made a difference. If that's the case, we are in for a LONG season.

Surfcock

Jul 24, 2022
Terrible. Yes or d is bad but I never seen an O line look this terrible

Confused how this is Loggains fault. He had no say in the OL that is here

It’s like hiring a Nissan Sentra engineer at Yugo and telling him …. Ok you have to use the same engine, tires and body style. We can tweak the seats, the radio and maybe the paint. Our marketing department will sell a whole new car

We pulled in some good skill talent but the base model is still below or just average

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
The O was more explosive and potent in week 1 than it was for 10 weeks last year….with a terrible OL and no RB. If you’re looking for blame for the OL, it’s Beamer.

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
Would a different OC have had the same issues with the OL?

Meaning, I don't think they are all weak, division 2 rated players, and I think a lot (not all) of their issue was mental. Imho, mental mistakes can be fixed or addressed.

Also, a different OC might have recognized the deficiency before the game and adjusted the gamelan.

Or, you could be right, and nothing would have made a difference. If that's the case, we are in for a LONG season.
Fugar and Nick G were both in FCS last year. Hughes was at CLT. So to your point, 3 of the 5 were in much lower levels than the SEC. But make no mistake, they got manhandled. They weren’t just missing assignments.

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
D gave up 31…. Bout what was expected. Offense should have put up 32.
I was optimistic in thinking we would outscore them - OL incompetence was a surprise to me. Given any time at all without dlinemen in his face, Rattler would have won that game with his arm - even without a run game.
If the coaching staff was also surprised about our OL, it's going to be a long season.

Jonesz2

Joined Aug 9, 2005
Jan 21, 2022

It’s like hiring a Nissan Sentra engineer at Yugo and telling him …. Ok you have to use the same engine, tires and body style. We can tweak the seats, the radio and maybe the paint. Our marketing department will sell a whole new car

We pulled in some good skill talent but the base model is still below or just average

Loggains is supposed to teach technique and scheme and develop and motivate for results no way all those kids are that lost on the line that’s coaching. You know it because they all doing the same thing.
your analogy is good though. It is exactly why a great Engineer at Nissan would expect to be successful if they were an Engineer at Toyota. Great coaches can coach anywhere. As the great tater coach used to say about a great coach. That coach can tak his in and beat your in or take your in and beat his in.