Lots of fuss being made over Clark's WNBA salary

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Twitter is abuzz with folks absolutely aghast at Clark's salary, which will pay her around $76K next year. Gender pay gap is trending now. Many male athletes have also chimed in to deride the pay gap between WNBA players and NBA players, with some pointing to the rookie salary for 2023 #1 pick Wembanyama which dwarfs Clark's (that's an understatement). He will make almost double in one game what she will make her whole rookie season.

Obviously Clark is going to clean up with endorsement deal, so she's gonna be just fine financially.

It seems too obvious to have to point out, but the WNBA is a money pit, basically a charity outreach by the NBA at this point. It loses in the neighborhood of $10 million annually. Whatever one may think of girls basketball, the WNBA is simply not financially viable. It would have never made it past it's first season if the NBA didn't have money to burn, quite literally. WNBA players are lucky they are paid ANYTHING.

It's just such a ludicrous complaint.

Gamecock72

Joined Sep 24, 2019
Jan 24, 2022
The WNBA lost 13 million last year alone. Hopefully, for them, this rise in popularity of NCAAW basketball will trickle up to the WNBA and get them better attendance and TV numbers. Until each of those happens, the WNBA will continue to lose money.

Yard_Pimps

Jul 11, 2022
I agree and think it’s ludicrous across the board. I understand arguing about pay gap when it’s the same job and the male and female have the same experience and qualifications. That’s just not the case when it comes to sports. Call me misogynist or whatever but people simple don’t want to watch 98% of woman’s sports. It’s just the way it is and a lot of that has to do biology and physical differences in male and female.

Tngamecock

Jan 22, 2022
Cardoso got pretty much the same deal. I truly do not get it. 76k a year with a top out of 90k in year 4? Laughable to leave school for.

Why would you not stay in school with free room and board. Sure you have to go to class, but you could at least make six figures plus in NIL. Clark was getting money from State Farm for national commercials already.

whoever is advising the women cannot be doing them any favors. Why do you think Brittany Griner who is considered a top star in the WNBA was in Russia playing when she got arrested. The short answer is you can’t make enough money in the WNBA and she is not a poster child for endorsements.

Reactions: moouclem and vacock

Tngamecock

Jan 22, 2022
The WNBA lost 13 million last year alone. Hopefully, for them, this rise in popularity of NCAAW basketball will trickle up to the WNBA and get them better attendance and TV numbers. Until each of those happens, the WNBA will continue to lose money.
Yep. The people preaching this narrative should lobby for all actors to be paid the same while they are at it. That’s how ludicrous their argument is. It’s like people want the government to determine pay. Is a janitor at the local convenience store paid the same as one at say GE? Likely not.

Reactions: 92Pony and yo-mans

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Cardoso got pretty much the same deal. I truly do not get it. 76k a year with a top out of 90k in year 4? Laughable to leave school for.

Why would you not stay in school with free room and board. Sure you have to go to class, but you could at least make six figures plus in NIL. Clark was getting money from State Farm for national commercials already.

whoever is advising the women cannot be doing them any favors. Why do you think Brittany Griner who is considered a top star in the WNBA was in Russia playing when she got arrested. The short answer is you can’t make enough money in the WNBA and she is not a poster child for endorsements.
This reminds me of the time that most NFL players sold real estate and insurance in the off-season.

Reactions: Tngamecock

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
What we have here is a true disconnect between equal rights and economic realities. The disconnect is spontaneous and not intentional because it is market-driven. Anything that sets itself up as a business without operating as a business will eventually fail. To close this gap, it seems to me that demand will have to increase dramatically.

Harvard Gamecock

Jan 20, 2022

At a certain point one's eligibility runs out.

Last edited:

adcoop

Jul 3, 2023
That is what happens when a lot of new fans come into a sport all of the sudden based on one player. They have no knowledge of the financial realities or the history of that sport. It will always be a challenge for the WNBA because women, for the most part, do not make sports appointment television. So, the WNBA is dependent on men to support the sport. I just don't see enough men willing to do that for it to be a consistent part of the sports landscape.

Gamecock72

Joined Sep 24, 2019
Jan 24, 2022

All of the WNBA rookie contracts are predetermined amounts based on draft position. It is not a negotiated contract with the player.

Reactions: Rogue Cock

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
Average attendance for WNBA games last year was 6600 fans and that was a 16% increase from the previous year. Four of the teams averaged less than 5000 fans per game. My guess is that most of the folks complaining about the salaries have never actually bought a ticket to a WNBA game.

Regardless, it's my understanding the rookie contracts are dictated by the collective bargaining agreement, so those who are upset should direct their outrage at the players association that negotiated that deal.

If Caitlin Clark does for the WNBA what she did for college basketball and attendance and TV contracts improve to the point that the WNBA becomes financially viable, I'm sure the salaries will improve. Until then, it's like complaining that the top rated axe-throwers in the world don't have salaries similar to the top rated baseball players of the world.

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
This reminds me of the time that most NFL players sold real estate and insurance in the off-season.
.....or the NBA prior to Magic and Bird. They were pretty much financially insolvent....but a couple of great players who were popular characters turned it around. The WNBA has a couple of those types of players now.....who could make a similar difference.

Reactions: KingWard

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
What we have here is a true disconnect between equal rights and economic realities. The disconnect is spontaneous and not intentional because it is market-driven. Anything that sets itself up as a business without operating as a business will eventually fail. To close this gap, it seems to me that demand will have to increase dramatically.
Agree.....and part of that will be getting on TV more often....and with players as popular as Clarke and a few others that may be forthcoming. Exposure and fun characters to watch should make a huge difference over time.

EDIT: And the ratings for the WBB final four didn't hurt in letting the media companies know and understand that there is an untapped market out there. Just simply a matter finding the best way to promote and exploit it....and they are professionals at that.

Last edited:
Reactions: KingWard

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
The uptick in the College game will not filter over to the WNBA. Just wont happen.

I'd be interested to know how overall WBB viewership in non-Clark games compares to previous years in non-Clark games. Was the increased interest in WBB in general or in Clark? I've heard much more about Clark since the championship that USC's undefeated team. Her NOT winning was a bigger story that USC winning and going undefeated.

I am certain the WNBA is hoping that the increased viewership that comes with Clark's games, which will lead to much greater exposure for the WNBA, will lead to overall increased viewership as more people see the WNBA product. I'm not sure I see it happening. Much of it depends on Clark being as dynamic in the WNBA as she was in college.

Reactions: will110

adcoop

Jul 3, 2023
Caitlin just signed an 8 figure Nike deal so she will be fine. I have been saying for awhile now that the endorsement deals is where the money is for her. For reference, Michael Jordan did not have a million dollar salary in the NBA on his rookie deal. Did not make more than 3 million dollars on NBA contracts until his final years in the league. He is a billionaire because of Nike and other product endorsements.

Tngamecock

Jan 22, 2022
All of the WNBA rookie contracts are predetermined amounts based on draft position. It is not a negotiated contract with the player.
That’s the point…..and the first pick got the same as the 3rd pick.

So I’ll put it another way…..Cardoso even has an agent. Wonder what his cut of 76k is? I could get her more money with a heck of a lot cheaper living expenses than moving to Chicago this year. But it’s her life and I wish her well.

adcoop

Jul 3, 2023
That’s the point…..and the first pick got the same as the 3rd pick.

So I’ll put it another way…..Cardoso even has an agent. Wonder what his cut of 76k is? I could get her more money with a heck of a lot cheaper living expenses than moving to Chicago this year. But it’s her life and I wish her well.
All of the Top 7 picks will be alright. Cardoso signed three endorsement deals on the day after the draft. Clark signed an 8 figure deal with Nike yesterday. Terms weren’t disclosed, but I am sure is equal to the 24 Million Sabrina Ionescu got.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Some WNBA players have said they don’t expect to make as much as NBA players but believe they deserve a higher share of the revenue. They want an increased share of revenue In a league that has never even been within spitting distance of profitability.

Blues man

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Jan 22, 2022
Twitter is full of people that have no understanding of the free market or brainwashed to fight it. My guess would be they are the loudest group on the pay issue... second maybe to the feminist. I have no respect for the former and losing it fast with the latter.

ToddFlanders

Jan 20, 2022
Clark will be a great opportunity to see if a professional women's league is really viable to a mass viewing audience. March Madness is one thing - a relatively unknown WNBA season is another (seriously, I don't know when they play). If she can keep bombing threes like Steph Curry though - I think she can pull it off. With viewers, more money will come.

But the discussion over the WNBA's finances are much more complex than yearly profit and loss statements (which are really just reported profits and losses for one silo of the related finances). Much like their NBA counterparts (and all other US pro sports franchises for that matter), even if a WNBA team has a yearly loss, the franchises themselves are increasing in value year-over-year. The Seattle Storm just valued at $151M. So money is rolling in, even with running in the red.

As for that discussion of a $10M yearly loss for the league, that's chump change (it's literally the average salary for one NBA player). And to the NBA, that's just their marketing budget to push its product on 50% of the population. Money well spent if it was just cash in/cash out. But it's also a bit misleading. Again, there are different silos related to these teams - for instance, most NBA teams/owners own a piece of the arenas where they play. Nothing loses more money than an empty arena - so just having the arenas running more days makes money for the owners. One, the teams have to pay for use of the arenas (so essentially the owners are paying themselves) and two, the more events, the more eyes on interior advertising and the more you can charge for that permanent advertising.

Harvard Gamecock

Jan 20, 2022
That’s why you ride the train as long as you can.
WNBA money is comical.
In Clark's case, she will be able to pull in more money in endorsements with a long term contract which will not only offset but easily surpass one year of NIL money.

TN-Gamecock

Joined May 10, 2002
Jan 29, 2022
Cameron Brink is model gorgeous. IMO she was the most beautiful woman on that stage.

LexCock11

Joined Nov 26, 2018
Jan 30, 2022
At a certain point one's eligibility runs out.

I think the point was that Clark had another year of eligibility and she chose to forego it and the associated NIL money she would have earned. The counterpoint would more appropriately be that she'll presumably make more in endorsements in the WNBA. However, I wonder if she will affect the viewership of her WNBA team like she did for Iowa. I tend to doubt it, but it appears the sponsors think so at this point so her decision was the right one if that's truly the case.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I think the point was that Clark had another year of eligibility and she chose to forego it and the associated NIL money she would have earned. The counterpoint would more appropriately be that she'll presumably make more in endorsements in the WNBA. However, I wonder if she will affect the viewership of her WNBA team like she did for Iowa. I tend to doubt it, but it appears the sponsors think so at this point so her decision was the right one if that's truly the case.

No doubt her games that are televised will get a big ratings boost. That much is for certain. Question is: will all the other WNBA games Clark ISN'T playing in get a ratings boost as well? I'm not sure why they would. Even Dawn admitted the huge ratings for the championship game were due to Clark.

Also, Clark was a must-see in college because she was otherworldly. I don't know anything about the WNBA in terms of the level of play and whether Clark can be as much of a phenomenon there as she was in college. I suspect there's not as much of a talent gap between college and WNBA as there is between college and NBA, so maybe she can still dominate. If not, will she continue to be must-see if she's just a really good WNBA player?

One thing's for sure, the WNBA is going to seize on Clark's popularity and hype the heck out of this upcoming WNBA season.

Last edited:

paladin181

Joined Aug 28, 2014 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 17, 2022
Some WNBA players have said they don’t expect to make as much as NBA players but believe they deserve a higher share of the revenue. They want an increased share of revenue In a league that has never even been within spitting distance of profitability.
It's funny because their share of revenue is approximately the same as in the NBA.

paladin181

Jan 17, 2022
She's not going to magically lose her NIL deals. This is literally a new word for endorsements and sponsorships. She is still getting her endorsement money. That IS NIL. I don't understand why people think someone who is worth a lot in the NIL market suddenly stops being marketable if they leave college.

Reactions: Harvard Gamecock

LexCock11

Joined Nov 26, 2018
Jan 30, 2022
No doubt her games that are televised will get a big ratings boost. That much is for certain. Question is: will all the other WNBA games Clark ISN'T playing get a ratings boost as well? I'm not sure why they would. Even Dawn admitted the huge ratings for the championship game were due to Clark.

Also, Clark was a must-see in college because she was otherworldly. I don't know anything about the WNBA in terms of the level of play and whether Clark can be as much of a phenomenon there as she was in college. I suspect there's not as much of a talent gap between college and WNBA as there is between college and NBA, so maybe she can still dominate. If not, will she continue to be must-see if she's just a really good WNBA player?

One thing's for sure, the WNBA is going to seize on Clark's popularity and hype the heck out of this upcoming WNBA season.

Yes, I think initially there will be a bump in ratings out of curiosity. I wonder if it will have staying power.

LexCock11

Joined Nov 26, 2018
Jan 30, 2022
She's not going to magically lose her NIL deals. This is literally a new word for endorsements and sponsorships. She is still getting her endorsement money. That IS NIL. I don't understand why people think someone who is worth a lot in the NIL market suddenly stops being marketable if they leave college.

NIL deals become endorsement deals when they turn pro, which is essentially a rose by another name. Not sure, but it seems you're arguing semantics here. Marketability, however, is based on a "following" or viewership, and could change over time and that could change endorsements if the "following" doesn't meet expectations. Maybe she will make the WNBA more popular. For me, personally, I doubt I'll be watching beyond a game or two out of curiosity, if that.

paladin181

Jan 17, 2022
NIL deals become endorsement deals when they turn pro, which is essentially a rose by another name. Not sure, but it seems you're arguing semantics here. Marketability, however, is based on a "following" or viewership, and could change over time and that could change endorsements if the "following" doesn't meet expectations. Maybe she will make the WNBA more popular. For me, personally, I doubt I'll be watching beyond a game or two out of curiosity, if that.
NIL deals were always endorsement deals. I'm not arguing semantics, I'm arguing that some people think NIL is specific to college athletes... it's literally anything that pays you to use your name, image or likeness. It has nothing to do with athletics or college. These NIL deals don't disintegrate when people leave the schools, the deals don't transform into something else. They are literally synonyms. 0 distinction. All endorsement deals are NIL.

Latest posts