Lots of fuss being made over Clark's WNBA salary

Gamecock72

Joined Sep 24, 2019
Jan 24, 2022
That’s the point…..and the first pick got the same as the 3rd pick.

So I’ll put it another way…..Cardoso even has an agent. Wonder what his cut of 76k is? I could get her more money with a heck of a lot cheaper living expenses than moving to Chicago this year. But it’s her life and I wish her well.
I am pretty sure the money was reduced some with each pick.

Forkcock

Jan 21, 2022
I hope Clark torches that league. The crap she has taken from current and former WNBA players is ridiculous.

• Love
Reactions: TN-Gamecock

Big JC

May 12, 2023
I hope Clark torches that league. The crap she has taken from current and former WNBA players is ridiculous.
She won't. She will be playing against players who were all the best player on their college team. It will be the same as when a 5 star recruit starts playing P5 college football. He doesn't keep having the video game numbers he had in HS where he was always the best player on the field.

Reactions: winloseortie

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
She won't. She will be playing against players who were all the best player on their college team. It will be the same as when a 5 star recruit starts playing P5 college football. He doesn't keep having the video game numbers he had in HS where he was always the best player on the field.

With all her hype, I'm assuming she'll come in a marked "man". The veterans will likely be eager to put her in her place on the court. Maybe she'll be good enough to do her thing anyway.

adcoop

Jul 3, 2023
With all her hype, I'm assuming she'll come in a marked "man". The veterans will likely be eager to put her in her place on the court. Maybe she'll be good enough to do her thing anyway.
I don't know what Clark fans were expecting. Thanks so much for coming? This is competition at the highest level. There are only 12 teams. So, these are the top 150 Women's players in the world. With the attention Clark is getting every guard in the league is itching for a chance to outplay her and get some recognition for themselves.

Reactions: 18IsTheMan

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I don't know what Clark fans were expecting. Thanks so much for coming? This is competition at the highest level. There are only 12 teams. So, these are the top 150 Women's players in the world. With the attention Clark is getting every guard in the league is itching for a chance to outplay her and get some recognition for themselves.

Yeah, she may have been christened the best ever by the media, but she'll have to earn it in the WNBA. She just might do that, I dunno. The pros aren't gonna hand her anything, though, just b/c she's everyone's fave right now.

As far as the WNBA is concerned, this is their single greatest shot at relevance since the league was founded. Maybe their last shot. They desperately need Clark to be every bit as good as advertised. She boosted women's college basketball ratings by being otherworldly every single game. Will folks consistently tune into WNBA games if she's just really good and not otherworldly?

adcoop

Jul 3, 2023
Yeah, she may have been christened the best ever by the media, but she'll have to earn it in the WNBA. She just might do that, I dunno. The pros aren't gonna hand her anything, though, just b/c she's everyone's fave right now.

As far as the WNBA is concerned, this is their single greatest shot at relevance since the league was founded. Maybe their last shot. They desperately need Clark to be every bit as good as advertised. She boosted women's college basketball ratings by being otherworldly every single game. Will folks consistently tune into WNBA games if she's just really good and not otherworldly?
I don't think the conditions will present itself for her to be like she was at Iowa especially right away. She was the clear #1 player by a lot. Everyone, including the coach deferred to her and let her take all the shots that she wanted. There will be other players on her team looking for shots and if she takes those logo threes she better make them. There will be a lot of team dynamics that she will have to navigate that she hasn't had to deal with before. That's why I think players from programs like a UConn or ours transition better when they go to the league. They are coming from teams where everyone was good.

Gamecock Vet

Feb 13, 2022
Cardoso got pretty much the same deal. I truly do not get it. 76k a year with a top out of 90k in year 4? Laughable to leave school for.

Why would you not stay in school with free room and board. Sure you have to go to class, but you could at least make six figures plus in NIL. Clark was getting money from State Farm for national commercials already.

whoever is advising the women cannot be doing them any favors. Why do you think Brittany Griner who is considered a top star in the WNBA was in Russia playing when she got arrested. The short answer is you can’t make enough money in the WNBA and she is not a poster child for endorsements.
Kamilla wasn’t eligible for NIL I heard because she isn’t from the United States. I’m not sure how true that is but that’s what I heard!

Gamecock72

Joined Sep 24, 2019
Jan 24, 2022
Kamilla wasn’t eligible for NIL I heard because she isn’t from the United States. I’m not sure how true that is but that’s what I heard!
I believe it is more about where she is from and their government than not being a US citizen. I could be wrong though. But it seems like that is what I heard on the radio or TV.

Big JC

May 12, 2023
I believe it is more about where she is from and their government than not being a US citizen. I could be wrong though. But it seems like that is what I heard on the radio or TV.
I'm not an expert but I think it has something to do with her visa. People here on a student visa can't earn money while they are here if I understand correctly.

Reactions: Gamecock72

Gamecock Jacque

Joined Dec 20, 2020
Jan 30, 2022
  • Haha
Reactions: Lurker123

Whiterockcock69

Joined Sep 12, 2010
Jan 31, 2022
No doubt her games that are televised will get a big ratings boost. That much is for certain. Question is: will all the other WNBA games Clark ISN'T playing in get a ratings boost as well? I'm not sure why they would. Even Dawn admitted the huge ratings for the championship game were due to Clark.

Also, Clark was a must-see in college because she was otherworldly. I don't know anything about the WNBA in terms of the level of play and whether Clark can be as much of a phenomenon there as she was in college. I suspect there's not as much of a talent gap between college and WNBA as there is between college and NBA, so maybe she can still dominate. If not, will she continue to be must-see if she's just a really good WNBA player?

One thing's for sure, the WNBA is going to seize on Clark's popularity and hype the heck out of this upcoming WNBA season.
Ergo Dawn’s effusive praise of CC. The lady is doing everything she can to push the envelope for WBB. Very bright lady.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
I agree and think it’s ludicrous across the board. I understand arguing about pay gap when it’s the same job and the male and female have the same experience and qualifications. That’s just not the case when it comes to sports. Call me misogynist or whatever but people simple don’t want to watch 98% of woman’s sports. It’s just the way it is and a lot of that has to do biology and physical differences in male and female.
It might be the publicity or lack thereof, moreso than biological differences.

I do agree that the salary gap between the MNBA and the WNBA is valid based on revenues. And this is different than a project management role at say, Dominion Power.

Is there a similar pay gap between MNBA and WNBA coaches and office staff?

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
Cardoso got pretty much the same deal. I truly do not get it. 76k a year with a top out of 90k in year 4? Laughable to leave school for.

Why would you not stay in school with free room and board. Sure you have to go to class, but you could at least make six figures plus in NIL. Clark was getting money from State Farm for national commercials already.

whoever is advising the women cannot be doing them any favors. Why do you think Brittany Griner who is considered a top star in the WNBA was in Russia playing when she got arrested. The short answer is you can’t make enough money in the WNBA and she is not a poster child for endorsements.
More education cannot hurt either.

Reactions: Tngamecock

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
That is what happens when a lot of new fans come into a sport all of the sudden based on one player. They have no knowledge of the financial realities or the history of that sport. It will always be a challenge for the WNBA because women, for the most part, do not make sports appointment television. So, the WNBA is dependent on men to support the sport. I just don't see enough men willing to do that for it to be a consistent part of the sports landscape.
I have no objection to an upswing in interest in the WNBA. Good luck to them.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
Clark will be a great opportunity to see if a professional women's league is really viable to a mass viewing audience. March Madness is one thing - a relatively unknown WNBA season is another (seriously, I don't know when they play). If she can keep bombing threes like Steph Curry though - I think she can pull it off. With viewers, more money will come.

But the discussion over the WNBA's finances are much more complex than yearly profit and loss statements (which are really just reported profits and losses for one silo of the related finances). Much like their NBA counterparts (and all other US pro sports franchises for that matter), even if a WNBA team has a yearly loss, the franchises themselves are increasing in value year-over-year. The Seattle Storm just valued at $151M. So money is rolling in, even with running in the red.

As for that discussion of a $10M yearly loss for the league, that's chump change (it's literally the average salary for one NBA player). And to the NBA, that's just their marketing budget to push its product on 50% of the population. Money well spent if it was just cash in/cash out. But it's also a bit misleading. Again, there are different silos related to these teams - for instance, most NBA teams/owners own a piece of the arenas where they play. Nothing loses more money than an empty arena - so just having the arenas running more days makes money for the owners. One, the teams have to pay for use of the arenas (so essentially the owners are paying themselves) and two, the more events, the more eyes on interior advertising and the more you can charge for that permanent advertising.
Thank you for posting this thoughtful message. It's posts like this one which keeps me engaged on FGF.

Forkcock

Jan 21, 2022
Revenue does not mean profit. The NBA has great revenue and great profit. The WNBA has little revenue and zero profit. Things may change but the WNBA should have folded years ago. They can only thank the NBA for keeping them afloat.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Revenue does not mean profit. The NBA has great revenue and great profit. The WNBA has little revenue and zero profit. Things may change but the WNBA should have folded years ago. They can only thank the NBA for keeping them afloat.

Yes. The WNBA players are smart enough not to be asking for a share of the profit because they know there is none.

Reactions: Tngamecock

Forkcock

Jan 21, 2022
Yes. The WNBA players are smart enough not to be asking for a share of the profit because they know there is none.
None of the former and current WNBA players want to talk about profit. They know that the WNBA is and has been nothing more than a charity. The players are damn lucky to have a job.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
None of the former and current WNBA players want to talk about profit. They know that the WNBA is and has been nothing more than a charity. The players are damn lucky to have a job.

They are fully funded and supported by men. According to some on here in the past, the NBA keeping the WNBA afloat is a smart move for them to help generate interest among women in basketball and grow the NBA's female fan base. Only thing is, women don't give a crap about the WNBA. So I'm not sure how that works.

Big JC

May 12, 2023
They are fully funded and supported by men. According to some on here in the past, the NBA keeping the WNBA afloat is a smart move for them to help generate interest among women in basketball and grow the NBA's female fan base. Only thing is, women don't give a crap about the WNBA. So I'm not sure how that works.
No one gives a crap about the WNBA.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Research to determine the actual interest of any demographic regarding the WNBA should not be difficult for anyone who does such things. I might add, any interest that doesn't translate into actual revenue is irrelevant.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
Research to determine the actual interest of any demographic regarding the WNBA should not be difficult for anyone who does such things. I might add, any interest that doesn't translate into actual revenue is irrelevant.
I suggest that the MNBA underwriting most of the WNBA expenses gives the MNBA a lot of positive publicity.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I suggest that the MNBA underwriting most of the WNBA expenses gives the MNBA a lot of positive publicity.
With who???

I live in a town with a WNBA team. I have never seen a single person wearing a hat, shirt, jersey or anything else related to the team. I chat up sports with a lot of folks as we have all major sports teams. I’ve never had one single person bring up the WNBA.

Last edited:

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Does the number of additional tickets sold to NBA games or money generated from televised NBA games exceed what would have been generated had the league not subsidized the WNBA? Do the total gains from that enterprise outweigh what is expended for the subsidization?

Yard_Pimps

Jul 11, 2022
It might be the publicity or lack thereof, moreso than biological differences.

I do agree that the salary gap between the MNBA and the WNBA is valid based on revenues. And this is different than a project management role at say, Dominion Power.

Is there a similar pay gap between MNBA and WNBA coaches and office staff?
Coaches for sure can’t tell you in office staff

TheByrdman

Joined Jul 17, 2000
Jan 20, 2022
NIL deals were always endorsement deals. I'm not arguing semantics, I'm arguing that some people think NIL is specific to college athletes... it's literally anything that pays you to use your name, image or likeness. It has nothing to do with athletics or college. These NIL deals don't disintegrate when people leave the schools, the deals don't transform into something else. They are literally synonyms. 0 distinction. All endorsement deals are NIL.
Foreign players are not allowed to receive NIL money. That is a bigger issue than the WNBA salary structure.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Does the number of additional tickets sold to NBA games or money generated from televised NBA games exceed what would have been generated had the league not subsidized the WNBA? Do the total gains from that enterprise outweigh what is expended for the subsidization?
Given the almost complete lack of interest in the WNBA, I have to imagine whatever financial gains the NBA made are negligible at best

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Sometimes people push the absurdity of their point too far that they expose themselves as not even believing in their own position.

Latest posts