Lots of smoke for Calipari to Arkansas

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Interesting. Just smoke at this point.

Think this is probably a good solution for UK. The fan base is over Calipari but his buyout was prohibitive. This gives the administration an easy out.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Odd hiring in that Calipari is at the tail end of his legendary career. Of course, we know a thing or two about hiring legendary coaches at the tail end of their careers.
wow, yeah, that happened fast.

As above, I'm sure UK was happy to find an off ramp with Calipari and he probably didn't feel compelled to stick around when the fans very obviously wanted him gone.

Will be interesting to see how things go. He's won everywhere he's been. I don't know he'll have as much luck at Arkansas with all the one-and-done players he's recruited at UK, but that may be to his benefit as stocking up on the one-and-dones hasn't really worked out for him.

Harvard Gamecock

Jan 20, 2022
Calipari should do well Arkansas. If anyone is used to players just hanging around for 1 season it's Callipari.
The bigger question now will be who is heading to UK. UK does not have to pay out the 33 million owed to JC since he left, and money is not going to be much of an issue when MBB is concerned at UK

Reactions: Uscg1984

92Pony

Joined Jan 18, 2011
Jan 20, 2022
Does he have some prior connection to Arkansas? Strange move on the surface.

ToddFlanders

Jan 20, 2022
Great move for him. He and Kentucky had tired of each other, and Arkansas is a top 10 job with the right coach in there (top 20 job with even the worst coach).

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Escape hatch for both Calipari and Kentucky - a blessed convergence. And who knows, Calipari might actually lift Arkansas. I'd say the odds are that he will. Look for Kentucky to make a move on Hurley.

Reactions: upstategc

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Calipari should do well Arkansas. If anyone is used to players just hanging around for 1 season it's Callipari.
The bigger question now will be who is heading to UK. UK does not have to pay out the 33 million owed to JC since he left, and money is not going to be much of an issue when MBB is concerned at UK

All the expected names being thrown out there...Oats, Dan Hurley, even Pitino. It will be interesting to see if UK still has the star power to reel in a top coach. Billy Donovan also mentioned as he's not doing great with the Bulls. Don't think I'd be thrilled to see Donovan back in the SEC.

Harvard Gamecock

Jan 20, 2022
Escape hatch for both Calipari and Kentucky - a blessed convergence. And who knows, Calipari might actually lift Arkansas. I'd say the odds are that he will. Look for Kentucky to make a move on Hurley.
I suspect a move, but if UConn wins a NC tonight it would seem unlikely Hurley would leave. UK will no doubt make overtures to several big names,

Reactions: KingWard

Harvard Gamecock

Jan 20, 2022
All the expected names being thrown out there...Oats, Dan Hurley, even Pitino. It will be interesting to see if UK still has the star power to reel in a top coach.
UK will still have the star power, but not everyone is suited for that pressure cooker, and therein lies the variable that excludes certain individuals.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
UK will still have the star power, but not everyone is suited for that pressure cooker, and therein lies the variable that excludes certain individuals.
They have the history and the money for sure. Oats and Hurley will surely be the first 2 calls one would expect. I would think Pitino would be more of a desperation hire, not that he can't still coach, but it's not many coaches in history have gone back to a former program and repeated previous great success.

Curious if they make inquiries with Lamont. I'd expect he'd be more of a Tier 2 or 3 candidate for them, simply b/c I think they start at the top with guys that have won or contended for titles.

Harvard Gamecock

Jan 20, 2022
They have the history and the money for sure. Oats and Hurley will surely be the first 2 calls one would expect. I would think Pitino would be more of a desperation hire, not that he can't still coach, but it's not many coaches in history have gone back to a former program and repeated previous great success.

Curious if they make inquiries with Lamont. I'd expect he'd be more of a Tier 2 or 3 candidate for them, simply b/c I think they start at the top with guys that have won or contended for titles.
I don't think UK will make any overtures to LP, However supposing that UK lures Oates from Alabama, now we have a whole new set of possibilities. The buyout for LP would not be a deterrent for Alabama.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
And to think all this started with the seemingly irrelevant dismissal of SMU's coach.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I don't think UK will make any overtures to LP, However supposing that UK lures Oates from Alabama, now we have a whole new set of possibilities. The buyout for LP would not be a deterrent for Alabama.

It would be interesting if they lured Oats from Bama. Bama is currently good right now, but they don't have the bloodlines, I don't think, to reel in a top-shelf guy. Maybe they'd get Donovan, if he's looking to get back into college ball since the Bulls are underperforming.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
It'll be interesting to see if Bama draws the short stick here.

I would think Oats would be content at Bama. He's paid well. The fans love him. He's a more successful version of Mark Stoops. He's succeeding at a sport that Bama fans don't REALLY care about in comparison to football. And he's been more successful during his time there than Calipari was during the same time at UK.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
And add Dick Vitale to the list mentioning Dawn for UK.

Would her going to coach a men’s team signal a massive leap forward for female accomplishment, or would it be an admission that succeeding as a coach in men’s sports is superior to succeeding as a coach in women’s sports?

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
It’s obviously not happening. People just have to have to say it, so they seem like they are part of the enlightened group. Have to say, though, it would be the most Gamecock thing ever if she actually went to coach of the men’s team at Kentucky and then kicked our a**es next year.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
UK is now a step down from UConn. They have won 6 titles since 1999. UK has 1 one in that time frame, and have to go all the way back to 1951 to get 6 titles.

Feb 24, 2024
UK is now a step down from UConn. They have won 6 titles since 1999. UK has 1 one in that time frame, and have to go all the way back to 1951 to get 6 titles.
Since UK won in 1998 with Tubby as HC, UConn has 6, Chapel Hill has 3, Duke has 3, Villanova, Florida, and Kansas 2 each. That's 18 of 25 from just 6 programs. I think you'd probably say UConn, Chapel Hill, and Duke are the programs of the 21st century.

Kentucky's nowhere close. And I don't mean that as a swipe. I just mean that based on results.

Reactions: ToddFlanders

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Since UK won in 1998 with Tubby as HC, UConn has 6, Chapel Hill has 3, Duke has 3, Villanova, Florida, and Kansas 2 each. That's 18 of 25 from just 6 programs. I think you'd probably say UConn, Chapel Hill, and Duke are the programs of the 21st century.

Kentucky's nowhere close. And I don't mean that as a swipe. I just mean that based on results.

Numbers don't lie. The 90s was a great decade for them. They're a virtual lock for the tournament every year, but in terms of titles you have to wonder why their fans have such high expectations.

Feb 24, 2024
Numbers don't lie. The 90s was a great decade for them. They're a virtual lock for the tournament every year, but in terms of titles you have to wonder why their fans have such high expectations.
Same reason Michigan football fans have such high expectations. The weight of multigenerational legacy carries forward.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Same reason Michigan football fans have such high expectations. The weight of multigenerational legacy carries forward.
And that's why there's always a chance that such Legacy programs will reestablish themselves. They know what they want and they don't rest in their quest to get it.

Reactions: LonghornsGamecocks

Latest posts