MBB: Tennessee shoots down South Carolina

TN-Gamecock

Joined May 10, 2002
Jan 29, 2022
FRANK MUST GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and I hope TANNER is on the way out too.................................................................................................................

Fried Chicken

Jan 30, 2022
Good crowd on hand and a Nationally Televised Game on CBS. We’re only down 4 at the half and really didn’t play that well. Tennessee was shooting the lights out, but after a 24-4 run, it felt like they could do anything they wanted. Sometimes you run into a hot shooting team, but we used to play good defense. Still, our inability to do anything offensively in a close game killed us.

Tennessee is good. Losing to them isn’t why Frank should go. But there a plenty of other reasons.

Fried Chicken

Jan 30, 2022
Hire MB from Ok.St or at worst hire Gregg Marshall on a strict conduct contract.
Would be interesting to see if Marshall could recruit with the allegations out there. But I know Auburn, Tennessee, etc wouldn’t let a little issue keep them from hiring a proven winner, but those are usually cheating allegations. But I don’t think there is a better coach out there for us to hire than Gregg Marshall (which has been the case for a few hires now). But now he has these allegations which changes everything. Not sure it could work and I don’t see our university hiring a guy with allegations of physical abuse of players.

We should talk with Boynton. In the end, the job at OK State is a better job than here. Not sure that would be a good career move for him.

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
Would be interesting to see if Marshall could recruit with the allegations out there. But I know Auburn, Tennessee, etc wouldn’t let a little issue keep them from hiring a proven winner, but those are usually cheating allegations. But I don’t think there is a better coach out there for us to hire than Gregg Marshall (which has been the case for a few hires now). But now he has these allegations which changes everything. Not sure it could work and I don’t see our university hiring a guy with allegations of physical abuse of players.

We should talk with Boynton. In the end, the job at OK State is a better job than here. Not sure that would be a good career move for him.
If Pearl can do what he's doing, then Marshall should be able to do something. It's a matter of mutual interest.

Harvard Gamecock

Jan 20, 2022
There really is no reason to get upset at this point concerning the MBB team and Frank Martin. We all know, at least we should know the
kind of team, and coach that is out there.
For those who continue to support FM, then you can expect to see the same kind of results. For those who longer support FM, we expect to see the same results, but are frustrated that there have not been any changes in the program.

Atlanta Cock

Jan 18, 2022
There really is no reason to get upset at this point concerning the MBB team and Frank Martin. We all know, at least we should know the
kind of team, and coach that is out there.
For those who continue to support FM, then you can expect to see the same kind of results. For those who longer support FM, we expect to see the same results, but are frustrated that there have not been any changes in the program.
He’s not a good coach. Can’t recruit. Offensive scheme is playground quality at best. The argument his D is exemplary isn't exactly true. UT was far superior on D yesterday. Team is not fun at all to watch and frankly he’s as big a jerk as Bobby Knight.

Harvard Gamecock

Jan 20, 2022
He’s not a good coach. Can’t recruit. Offensive scheme is playground quality at best. The argument his D is exemplary isn't exactly true. UT was far superior on D yesterday. Team is not fun at all to watch and frankly he’s as big a jerk as Bobby Knight.
I just think his style/approach/schemes are not working. It should be fairly obvious for all to see, but despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary you still have the group that believes 1) he still needs more time or 2) Since he made the only FF run he should be allowed to stay on.

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
I just think his style/approach/schemes are not working. It should be fairly obvious for all to see, but despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary you still have the group that believes 1) he still needs more time or 2) Since he made the only FF run he should be allowed to stay on.
in perpetuity.

Atlanta Cock

Jan 18, 2022
in perpetuity.
To be fair, that’s true of every sport. There were posters who supported Muschamp and Brad to the bitter end. I guess they feel it proves their fandom bona fides. In this case, though, it’s astounding that the pro Frank crowd cannot see how fundamentally unsound we are. This is his 11th season, and the team is still a very poor free throwing team and simply a horrible passing team. Even outclassed teams that are well coached hit free throws and make passes.

Last edited:
Reactions: 92Pony

Fried Chicken

Jan 30, 2022
Martin is a good coach and is very respected by those in the basketball world. He just didn’t get it done here and where he failed the most was not bringing enough guys in, and keeping the guys he did after the final four run. He had a revolving door of players at the end and that gave us no chance. He’s a decent developer of talent as we saw with quite a few guys early on in his career. But we haven’t seen one of those since, arguably, Chris Silva though some might say Bryant (I wouldn’t).

I think Martin is an old school coach, who just happened to peak at the worst time. This generation of athletes want to play for the “players coach”, not the guy that’s going to get every ounce out of him. Of course Coach K is that kind of guy too, but that’s Duke and people want to play for Duke. But I bet Coach K sees it too, along with the NIL (and age), and is fine walking away.

Martin has to go because it’s not working. But make no mistake, he’s a solid coach. This job is extremely difficult and that’s been proven since we have the worst conference record of any team since joining the conference. The next guy, like all of the coaches before him, has his work cut out for him. At some point, somebody has to figure out how to set us apart from every other program in the Southeast so we can keep a solid player or two in-state and build from that.