Michigan DT arrested

Jim from Spicewood

Oct 12, 2021
Here's a link to a FREEP article on Smith's arrest: https://www.freep.com/story/sports/...d-traffic-stop-felony-gun-charge/69693637007/

"Ann Arbor police arrested Smith, the former East Kentwood star who is a senior co-captain for the Wolverines, after discovering a gun in his car during an Oct. 7 traffic stop for speeding, the department said in a press release on Thursday afternoon."

"Instead, prosecutors received the police department's report on the incident one week later, on Oct. 14. A month later, on Nov. 17, charges were approved and a warrant was "sworn out" in front of a magistrate judge this week,"

I have no idea what the law is in Michigan, but the article states, "Smith, the sole occupant of the vehicle, was found to be in possession of a handgun inside the vehicle without a valid CPL and did not have his driver’s license at the time of the stop, the press release said, referring to a Concealed Pistol License.... During a court appearance Thursday, Smith's attorney, John Shea, said that Smith was in the process of getting his concealed carry license when he was pulled over."

Seems to be several problems for Smith. He was speeding; he didn't have his drivers license; and he was carrying before he got his permit. I would like to hear what the board;s legal beagles have to say about this.

Reactions: BobPSU92

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Here's a link to a FREEP article on Smith's arrest: https://www.freep.com/story/sports/...d-traffic-stop-felony-gun-charge/69693637007/

"Ann Arbor police arrested Smith, the former East Kentwood star who is a senior co-captain for the Wolverines, after discovering a gun in his car during an Oct. 7 traffic stop for speeding, the department said in a press release on Thursday afternoon."

"Instead, prosecutors received the police department's report on the incident one week later, on Oct. 14. A month later, on Nov. 17, charges were approved and a warrant was "sworn out" in front of a magistrate judge this week,"

I have no idea what the law is in Michigan, but the article states, "Smith, the sole occupant of the vehicle, was found to be in possession of a handgun inside the vehicle without a valid CPL and did not have his driver’s license at the time of the stop, the press release said, referring to a Concealed Pistol License.... During a court appearance Thursday, Smith's attorney, John Shea, said that Smith was in the process of getting his concealed carry license when he was pulled over."

Seems to be several problems for Smith. He was speeding; he didn't have his drivers license; and he was carrying before he got his permit. I would like to hear what the board;s legal beagles have to say about this.

I’m here, which makes me as legally beagley as anyone, and here is what I have to say: F*ck michigan.

Corner Room Breakfast

Oct 27, 2021
I’m here, which makes me as legally beagley as anyone, and here is what I have to say: F*ck michigan.
Phil Hartman Idk GIF

Ceasar

Oct 7, 2021
I hear you but I don’t get pleasure from pointing to a kid’s problems just because he plays at a school we all tend to dislike. The weapons aspect is very troubling and it better be addressed promptly. That is very troubling. It’s not weed or getting into a fight in a tunnel. I made tons of stupid things but I did that with no cell phones and I wasn’t on a playoff team. I tend to keep it to the field stuff only. But I hear you.
Agree with everything you said, Tailgate. You are a good guy.

mr.michigan

Feb 28, 2022
I trust Jim on this stuff. What bugs the hell out of me is that we'll walk this grey line on a gun charge (its going to be dismissed) but we continue to stand on our self righteous hill with regards to nil and its destroying recruiting at a time when we should be killing it. Like top 5 killing it.

PSU12046

Oct 18, 2021
I trust Jim on this stuff. What bugs the hell out of me is that we'll walk this grey line on a gun charge (its going to be dismissed) but we continue to stand on our self righteous hill with regards to nil and its destroying recruiting at a time when we should be killing it. Like top 5 killing it.
Well, it's illegal to carry a loaded firearm without a CPL permit in a car in any state in the US. That's pretty black and white. Where is the grey area? And you're worried about your NIL and recruiting?!? Nice Michigan man

1670025143464.png

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021
Well, it's illegal to carry a loaded firearm without a CPL permit in a car in any state in the US. That's pretty black and white. Where is the grey area? And you're worried about your NIL and recruiting?!? Nice Michigan man

View attachment 272470
Not true. It varies by state. In many states it is perfectly legal to carry a loaded firearm in a glove box or console without a permit.

However, in Michigan it is not a grey area so our Michigan visitor is being a typical UM douchenozzle....

blion72

Oct 30, 2021
If it was ohio state, he would play. Not sure about Michigan
it seems that most coaches in CFB suspend the player from playing until the legal process completes. I think most coaches do not want a situation where a player later is convicted and had been playing in games the whole time.

PSU12046

Oct 18, 2021
Not true. It varies by state. In many states it is perfectly legal to carry a loaded firearm in a glove box or console without a permit.

However, in Michigan it is not a grey area so our Michigan visitor is being a typical UM douchenozzle....

According to Michigan law, there is no way to openly carry a loaded firearm within a motor vehicle. As a result, it's necessary to have a valid concealed pistol license in Michigan in order to legally carry a loaded pistol in motor vehicles.

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021
According to Michigan law, there is no way to openly carry a loaded firearm within a motor vehicle. As a result, it's necessary to have a valid concealed pistol license in Michigan in order to legally carry a loaded pistol in motor vehicles.
Exactly. There's nothing grey about it. I listed the ways in an earlier post the ways a gun may be carried in a car legally in Michigan.

If the "grey" area is that he had applied for the permit....again, nothing grey about that. At all. You have the permit or you freaking don't.

UM apologists can spin it however they want. If he gets off, its because he plays football for UM.

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021
What's grey about it?

Reactions: PSU12046

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
Jim to the Colts.

Last edited:

mr.michigan

Feb 28, 2022
What's grey about it?
The fact that they are allowing Mazi to play when charges have been brought (you do understand he hasn't been found guilty right). They could just make all the outside people happy and suspend him, kick him off the team, cancel him but they aren't and I trust Jim's judgement on these things. I get why you guys are up in arms about it. These are tough times for Michigan haters.

BW Lion

Oct 14, 2021
The fact that they are allowing Mazi to play when charges have been brought (you do understand he hasn't been found guilty right). They could just make all the outside people happy and suspend him, kick him off the team, cancel him but they aren't and I trust Jim's judgement on these things. I get why you guys are up in arms about it. These are tough times for Michigan haters.
I'm going to be curious if Fox is even allowed to raise the subject during the game? 🤷‍♂️

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021
The fact that they are allowing Mazi to play when charges have been brought (you do understand he hasn't been found guilty right). They could just make all the outside people happy and suspend him, kick him off the team, cancel him but they aren't and I trust Jim's judgement on these things. I get why you guys are up in arms about it. These are tough times for Michigan felon haters.
FIFY.

I guess you can somehow spin felony weapons charged not being punished into "Michigan hate"

You're dismissed.

Reactions: Bison13

Bkmtnittany1

Oct 26, 2021
And you would be ok with a player… forget it… you are an *******. Doesn’t Michigan have a rivals board?

blion72

Oct 30, 2021
I'm going to be curious if Fox is even allowed to raise the subject during the game? 🤷‍♂️
nothing mentioned other than indicating he "traveled with the team". he has played the entire night.

most teams do not let a player on the field who has been charged with a crime of this magnitude. I believe that a couple times when this happened at Penn State, the player did participate until they were cleared and the legal action was over. Yes, anyone accused of a crime is presumed innocent until proven guilty. However, the issue for most teams is if a guy plays after being charged with a crime, and plays, and then later is found guilty it is a very bad look. that is why most would not let a player like Smith play.

Reactions: ChiTownLionPSU

ManxomeLion

Aug 24, 2017
I recall Joe defending Rashard Casey, rightfully so, when he was charged with a felony. I also believe people should let the justice audience play out rather than trying them in the court of "public opinion".
Conversely, it's a travesty when the justice system is manipulated for the sake of an individual.
The time-line seems suspicious, but even more it seems likely that he may of had a firearm on campus (and the silence of U of M is a bit conspicuous there).

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Update:

Michigan defensive lineman Mazi Smith pleaded guilty Thursday to a misdemeanor weapons possession charge stemming from an Oct. 7 traffic stop and arrest in Ann Arbor, Michigan.

Smith, 21, entered the plea as part of an agreement to have his felony weapons charge dropped. An Ann Arbor police officer stopped Smith for speeding on Oct. 7 and found his Glock 19 gun with three loaded magazines of bullets. Smith owns the gun legally and had registered the weapon, but he did not have a concealed pistol license needed to carry it in his vehicle.”

And,

”Sentencing for Smith is set for Dec. 29, two days before No. 2 Michigan will face No. 3 TCU in the CFP Semifinal at the Vrbo Fiesta Bowl.

Smith, a team captain who has appeared in all of Michigan's games since the traffic stop and arrest, has had "no change" to his status, a team spokesperson confirmed to ESPN. After Smith was charged Dec. 1, Michigan athletic director Warde Manuel and coach Jim Harbaugh released statements supporting Smith.”

psu31trap

Oct 29, 2021
Who gets the final say on whether or not he plays? The HC, AD or someone else? I don’t believe the HC can unilaterally make that decision, he’ll need to get the ok from another capo.

Auxgym

Oct 13, 2021
Who gets the final say on whether or not he plays? The HC, AD or someone else? I don’t believe the HC can unilaterally make that decision, he’ll need to get the ok from another capo.
Anyone that thinks he isn't playing in the bowl game is delusional......

Reactions: nittanyfan333

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Judge: "Smitty, don't do that again! And kick *** on Dec 31st! Court adjourned!"

The kid is supposed to appear in court two days before they play tcu. He’ll probably stop at the courthouse on the way to the airport. “Leave the limo running. I’ll just be a minute.”

• Haha
Reactions: Bkmtnittany1

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
The kid is supposed to appear in court two days before they play tcu. He’ll probably stop at the courthouse on the way to the airport. “Leave the limo running. I’ll just be a minute.”
You're almost correct.They usually leave a week before the bowl game and practice nearby. It's more likely the sentencing will be done through Zoom with him in uniform on the sideline of practice.

Reactions: BobPSU92

Bkmtnittany1

Oct 26, 2021
You're almost correct.They usually leave a week before the bowl game and practice nearby. It's more likely the sentencing will be done through Zoom with him in uniform on the sideline of practice.
It would be hilarious if they had the sentencing during pre-game warm-ups

Reactions: PSUJam

Latest posts