Mintz testing draft waters

STL_Cat

Heisman
Dec 4, 2011
65,502
58,905
98
Cal encourages guys to go get the info they need. They guys who are not getting drafted, get free intel from scouts and learn what part of their game they need to work on most to improve their stock. PJ Washington did it, and he was a helluva lot more of a prospect than Mintz (no offense, I want him back), they told PJ to work on his body, extend his range out to the 3 point line. He came back and did both. There is a difference in a player entering just to get the hell out of school, and then there are guys who really use it to gain valuable info of what they need to improve on. My guess, scouts will tell Mintz he needs to work on his handles, playmaking, and become a solid two guard, and even work on his body and strength. JMHO, bet I am not far off.
I'm not going to say guys SHOULDN'T get feedback ... but I always get a kick out of the idea that these guys have to have NBA scouts tell them what they need to work on. For instance, did PJ Washington need scouts to tell him to work on his body and extend his range? Isn't that the type of feedback he could easily get from Calipari? Mintz has played 4 years of college basketball and he needs scouts to tell him what he needs to work on? I just don't quite understand that.

Again I'm not saying guys shouldn't do it. But some of this stuff is obvious.
 

catsfanbgky

All-American
Oct 18, 2006
18,901
7,622
0
I guess Cal could tell him, but you do know it holds more weight coming from the guy who might DRAFT him, instead of the coach who would love to have him back. I know Cal does right by ALL of his players, but a kid may take a coach telling him that as having personal motives. An NBA scout does not have a agenda to tell him anything but the truth. Huge difference.
 
Last edited:

MyCatsWin

Sophomore
Nov 14, 2020
102
160
0
Is this kwilt?
Nope, 52 year old UK MBA grad with a sophomore at UK right now. Long time reader, newer poster. The latter gets a lot of folks lathered up, as if they started on the board with 10 years of history and 4500 posts. Okay by me, comments on a message board don’t register on my list of things to get upset or angry about. I moved past that about 20 years ago.
 
KSR

Latest

  1. 01 KSR Football Recruiting Louisville's 4-star WR commit Ja'Hyde Brown will visit Kentucky this weekend
  2. 02 Rivals Football Recruiting Inside the SEC battle for the nation's No. 7 cornerback Grayden Reid
  3. 03 KSR Football Kentucky Football attendance is up under Will Stein, third-highest increase in the SEC
  4. 04 Rivals Football Recruiting Kentucky hosts LSU with a major flip target, top-2 QB and several blue-chippers coming to root on Will Stein and the Wildcats
  5. 05 KSR Football Lane Kiffin Salutes Stein, Prepares for Confident Kentucky Football Team