Missouri State NIL Law

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
Interesting. MO has a law that states HS players can get NIL money if they stay instate for college. Seeing as how Mizzu is the only major program in the state, sweet deal for them. Meanwhile, our assembly sits with their thumbs up their asses.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I would hope SC doesn't go down that path. Can't we agree that paying high school players is taking it too far?

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
I would hope SC doesn't go down that path. Can't we agree that paying high school players is taking it too far?
I'm not saying we need to necessarily need to go down that rout. But states all around the country are passing laws protecting their institutions. We appear to be taking the high road.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I don't know really know what we should or shouldn't be doing at that level, but if it comes to having to allow paying high school students for USC to remain competitive, I'd rather just see us shut down the football team entirely. Like many others, I am still clinging to some vestige of the game that now exists only in my memory banks. At some point though, things will become so distorted, as with having to pay high school athletes, that it's no longer possible to keep up the illusion that the game still exists in that previous form.

That aside, what can be the basis of high school players earning NIL? In college, the premise is that they are responsible for bringing in so much money for the schools that they should have a right to earn off their NIL. But high school teams aren't bringing in that kind of money.

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
I don't know really know what we should or shouldn't be doing at that level, but if it comes to having to allow paying high school students for USC to remain competitive, I'd rather just see us shut down the football team entirely. Like many others, I am still clinging to some vestige of the game that now exists only in my memory banks. At some point though, things will become so distorted, as with having to pay high school athletes, that it's no longer possible to keep up the illusion that the game still exists in that previous form.

That aside, what can be the basis of high school players earning NIL? In college, the premise is that they are responsible for bringing in so much money for the schools that they should have a right to earn off their NIL. But high school teams aren't bringing in that kind of money.
haha. I promise you Dorman HS is raking in cash from their football team. I know someone personally that just moved their family to a different district bc of the "benefits" the football players get. And if that's where it's going, so be it. Play the game. If you want a squeaky clean product you should probably jump to the Socon at that point.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
haha. I promise you Dorman HS is raking in cash from their football team. I know someone personally that just moved their family to a different district bc of the "benefits" the football players get. And if that's where it's going, so be it. Play the game. If you want a squeaky clean product you should probably jump to the Socon at that point.

I'm not saying they aren't making money, but they aren't generally multi-million dollar entities. Dorman might be bringing in some cash, but it's not even peanuts...not even empty peanut shells...compared to what D1 school brings in. Beyond that, you don't have regular nationally televised games as you do with college.

It's all just a big absurd to say we need to start paying high school players. What if a high school player takes NIL money but ends up going out of state?

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
I'm not saying they aren't making money, but they aren't generally multi-million dollar entities. Dorman might be bringing in some cash, but it's not even peanuts...not even empty peanut shells...compared to what D1 school brings in. Beyond that, you don't have regular nationally televised games as you do with college.

It's all just a big absurd to say we need to start paying high school players. What if a high school player takes NIL money but ends up going out of state?
I agree. But there's money there to be made....a lot more than $0. I agree with you. But everything trickles downhill. It's happening. Are we going to pretend it's not and handcuff our football programs, or take more of a "don't hate the player, hate the game" approach?

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I'm wondering how enforceable that would even be. If a 16 year old kid signed an intent to attend an in-state state school, took NIL and then decided to go out of state, are they gonna drag him to court? Garnish his parent's wages?

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
I'm wondering how enforceable that would even be. If a 16 year old kid signed an intent to attend an in-state state school, took NIL and then decided to go out of state, are they gonna drag him to court? Garnish his parent's wages?
I would hope so. Welcome to the real world son. You're about to learn a hard lesson. Not sure of the mechanics, but one thing is certain. It's going to be messy.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I would hope so. Welcome to the real world son. You're about to learn a hard lesson. Not sure of the mechanics, but one thing is certain. It's going to be messy.

I seriously doubt anyone wants the optics of dragging an 18 year old to court for a decision like that he made when he was a minor. Or some low-income family having their wages garnished.

Point is, I don't think it will really be enforced. Probably just a roll of the dice to try getting ahead on NIL and hopefully enticing some of the better talent to stay in-state. If they don't, oh well, we tried.

Could a kid decide to attend a rinky dink in-state school for a semester and then transfer? Too many holes.