More ESPN buffoonary:

Woof Man Jack

Apr 20, 2006
Did anyone catch the ESPN announcers for the Ole Miss game talking about Brett Favre's retirement last night? The dude doing color said something like..."Brett played his college ball about an hour and a half south of where we are tonight, and he grew up about an hour south of that!" Which indicates Favre played at MSU, and grew up in Kosciusko.

Should MSU retire BF's college number? Clearly, knowing what the hell you're talking about is not a requirement to work on-air for ESPN.

patdog

May 28, 2007
They're sportscasters, not geography majors. They've never driven from Oxford to Hattiesburg in their lives. All they know is they fly into Memphis and drive south to get to one and they fly into New Orleans and drive north to get to the other. Given the usual competence of ESPN employees, I'm kind of impressed they know that the University of Southern Mississippi is south of the University of Mississippi.

Woof Man Jack

Apr 20, 2006
All I'm asking, is that if you are going to yap about someone's University and hometown on national tv, at least make sure you know what the hell you're talking about. Otherwise, just use general terms...simple stuff often makes these guys look dumb.</p>

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
them say near the end of the game when it was apparent that OM was going to win that "this gives Mississippi State hope that winning out may get them into the tournamement." I can maybe understand this statement near the beginning of the game but after you have been talking about OM for 2 and a half hours...idiots

williecunningham

Mar 3, 2008
Most of their viewing audience - besides you and a handful of others - don't care how far Oxford is from Hattiesburg.

The biggest story of the day was that a Hall of Fame QB announced his retirement. The people talking about it happened to be in his home state and used it as a segway.

Woof Man Jack

Apr 20, 2006
williecunningham said:
Most of their viewing audience - besides you and a handful of others - don't care how far Oxford is from Hattiesburg.

Actually, I don't care how far it is either...and that's not even the point. The dude either thought MSU was BF's University, or he thought USM was located in Starkville.</p>

Stansfield

Apr 3, 2007
Why were two unranked teams in the SEC on TV last night and two ranked teams WON'T be on TV tonight. freaking retarded

Aug 30, 2006
but the SEC basketball TV schedule is set before the season starts. It does not have the flex scheduling (or whatever the hell it is called) like football does where the games are picked 2 weeks or less out from the date of the game. As a result, you can end up with crappy late season games while interesting/good games get passed over.

patdog

May 28, 2007
our campus isn't exactly what you'd call south of Oxford, either. It's about as far east of Oxford as it is south of there. So if you really want to be picky, he must either think Favre went to Holmes Community College or that USM is located in Kosciusko.

Woof Man Jack

Apr 20, 2006
patdog said:
our campus isn't exactly what you'd call south of Oxford, either. It's about as far east of Oxford as it is south of there. So if you really want to be picky, he must either think Favre went to Holmes Community College or that USM is located in Kosciusko.

Good God Pat...you and Willie need to chill out. I don't give two ***** about what they said...and damn sure weren't bothered by it. Just saying anyone working on a national broadcast for a sports network, should know what the hell they are talking about...no minor how small the comment.</p>

My apologies if you are not into accuracy. </p>

patdog

May 28, 2007
that you're not much more accurate than the ESPN announcers you're bitching about for guessing wrong how far south of Oxford Hattiesburg is. At least they got the direction right. You, not so much.

Woof Man Jack

Apr 20, 2006
patdog said:
that you're not much more accurate than the ESPN announcers you're bitching about for guessing wrong how far south of Oxford Hattiesburg is. At least they got the direction right. You, not so much.

Yea, you're right...no way they were referencing MSU when they talked about a University that's an hour and a half south of Oxford. I guess they were referring to the University of Greenwood, or possibly Greenville State. My bad.</p>
Costanza...you're right. This thread is unimpressive. Simply stated that yet again, the ESPN crew screwed up what they were talking about...admittedly minor...and pat got his geography panties in a wad.

Tell Channing I'm done with this topic.

Stansfield

Apr 3, 2007
CowtownDawg said:
As a result, you can end up with crappy late season games while interesting/good games get passed over.

</p>If the Japanese can bomb the Germans on the moon, then hell in the 21st century you'd think we could figure out a way to show two ranked teams playing in a freaking game. I don't give a damn if this has already been covered, it's still dumb as ****.