MSMA

UnderDog27

Redshirt
Nov 23, 2020
3
0
0
Gentlemen, Long time reader here and looking for some help. I have seen this chemical referenced here before for use on lawns. This will be my first spring in this house and it looks like it will work well on Bermuda. Can anyone offer some suggestions/advice on when to apply and how much? I have about 1/2 acre of area I would like to blanket and would follow up with 13-13-13 later.
 
Jun 9, 2015
612
536
93
I can’t remember the rate, but you don’t want to apply until you have consecutive days over 80 degrees.
 

karlchilders.sixpack

All-Conference
Jun 5, 2008
21,091
4,861
113
If you can trust the directions, on a very old bottle of Red Panther

For lawn use, Mow lawn.

1 &1/3 oz per 2 1/2 gal of water, per 1000 sq ft. (You can do the math.)

follow up again in 10days to two weeks.
Adding... It was recommended that I also use a surfactant.

I agree with waiting till it warms up.

(I don't have a green thumb)
 
Last edited:
Nov 16, 2005
29,281
24,393
113
Too early for MSMA. Needs to be hot.

I do 2-4 ounces but I’m using some generic. Probably only need to do no more then 2 ounces unless you want to look like a nuke went off in your yard.
 

dawgoneyall

Junior
Nov 11, 2007
3,431
210
63
Use 12 fluid ounces per 15 gal-covers approx 1.5 acres. Don't know if too little or too much but does the job.

Use a
surfactant....dawn works fine.
 
Last edited:

MaxwellSmart

All-Conference
May 28, 2007
2,611
1,042
113
I'm using the Drexel MSMA 6 plus that has the surfactant already in it. 2 oz per gallon of water in a 15 gallon sprayer but like has been said, wait until the temp is over 80. I usually use celsius in May or June and MSMA in July.
 

UnderDog27

Redshirt
Nov 23, 2020
3
0
0
Thanks for the responses! Do temps need to be consistently above 80? I’d like to get it done as quickly as allowed without losing good results.
How much dish soap do I need to add per gallon mixture?
Is there anything I can do now to help prep the yard before applying MSMA or would that be pointless?
 

MaxwellSmart

All-Conference
May 28, 2007
2,611
1,042
113
MSMA is for grassy weeds and doesn't do much of anything to broadleaf weeds. And yes the temperature needs to be consistently above 80-85 for it to work right.
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White Football Will Mississippi State's secondary be the difference on Saturday?
  2. 02 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State sells out Davis Wade Stadium for 2nd week running
  3. 03 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State Week 5 Preview: Who Carries the Load?
  4. 04 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State Week 5 Preview: Alabama Q&A
  5. 05 Maroon and White Mississippi State’s Isaac Smith and Fluff Bothwell “Probable” on initial SEC availability report