MSU Athletic directors....

thekimmer

All-Conference
Aug 30, 2012
8,853
2,988
113
On T&L this morning they were talking about the MSU athletic directors and suggested that Charlie Carr succeeded Charlie Shira as AD. I was one of the old geezers yelling at my device.

For the record. There were two ADs between Shira and Carr. Bob Tyler from 76-79 and Carl Maddox 79-84. Carr was only at State for a couple of years and I believe he was fired after of some kind of issue but he did leave a legacy by starting Super Saturday which became Super Bulldog Weekend.

I started school at State during Maddox's tenure and finished during Carr's. That first Super Saturday pales in comparison to SBW but it was pretty special back then.
 
Last edited:

Willow Grove Dawg

All-American
Nov 3, 2016
8,419
6,113
113
I was having the exact same conversation with them while listening in my way to the office this morning.
 

The Peeper

Heisman
Feb 26, 2008
16,707
12,443
113
Maddox was at MSU when I was too. He came here straight from Red Stick where he was their AD '68-'78
 

wsjmsu75

Junior
Sep 29, 2017
2,421
210
63
Maddox was at MSU when I was too. He came here straight from Red Stick where he was their AD '68-'78

And before that I believe he was a coach and/or administrator at Greenville (Ms.) High, my hometown and high school alma mater.
 

Maroon Eagle

All-American
May 24, 2006
18,584
8,562
102
Yep. He coached Greenville to the Big 8 title in 1953.

He also coached at Greenwood and Gulf Coast Military Academy.

Link: Here.
 

Maroon Eagle

All-American
May 24, 2006
18,584
8,562
102
Three directors.

Charley Scott succeeded Carl Maddox and then was replaced by Charlie Carr. Scott & Carr were ADs my Freshman year at MSU.
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White Football Anthony Evans III posts highest PFN WR grade of Week 5
  2. 02 Maroon and White Football Standout Stats: No. 7 Alabama 56-23 No. 16 Mississippi State
  3. 03 Maroon and White Football Unpacking Mississippi State's offensive unraveling against Alabama
  4. 04 Maroon and White Football "Learning Moments": Mississippi State HC Jeff Lebby speaks on rough outing for QB Kamario Taylor
  5. 05 Maroon and White Football "We let ourselves down": Isaac Smith and Anthony Evans III speak on Mississippi State's defeat to Alabama