Musings from Arledge: Matt Campbell

Troy70

Aug 24, 2017
Hope deal for one of the three is done. 4 years of Helton era has reduced SC to a PAC doormat. 2018 pitiful, 2019 Kedon was a rag doll, 2020 CV luck, 2021 Clay future exposed

• Love
Reactions: gubo&palanka

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
Give it up. Nobody in the SC front office cares wha type think nor should they. It appears Campbell is the guy so instead of trying to convince everyone he’s not the guy how about you support the move.
Give it up? No one here knows who the guy is; what are you talking about? Also, I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. I'm going to tell you that right now. lol

Just giving my opinion, otherwise I couldn't care less.

Nothing appears as anything, since no one here is in Bohn's or Sosna's inner circle. So, until then, there's nothing to support but speculation.

USC92

Sep 10, 2017
Give it up? No one here knows who the guy is; what are you talking about? Also, I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. I'm going to tell you that right now. lol

Just giving my opinion, otherwise I couldn't care less.

Nothing appears as anything, since no one here is in Bohn's or Sosna's inner circle. So, until then, there's nothing to support but speculation.

It’s pretty apparent where you stand, as you reply to just about every comment. Your opinion has been made known and I have yet to see you contribute anything more of value.

yah20002

Aug 24, 2017
These arguments are so LAME. No coach would win BIG12 championships at Iowa State. Last I checked Aranda has won ZERO titles as a HC either. If Campbell wasn't such a high achiever he'd have numerous titles as a DC at LSU or Alabama or Ohio State. Both are great options for USC. You can't possibly argue one is better than the other unless you're being biased.
Not true. I didn’t mention Aranda or anyone else.

ISU beat Oklahoma in the regular season, in 2020. Campbell had an opportunity to beat OU (a team he already proved they could beat), in the BIG 12 championship game, and didn’t. If Campbell almost did it last year, you can’t tell me NO OTHER coach could win a conference championship there.

He didn’t win the MAC at Toledo either. I‘ve consistently stated Campbell was one of my top 10 candidates. He’s just not the “homerun” hire people are making him out to be.

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
Not true. I didn’t mention Aranda or anyone else.

ISU beat Oklahoma in the regular season, in 2020. Campbell had an opportunity to beat OU (a team he already proved they could beat), in the BIG 12 championship game, and didn’t. If Campbell almost did it last year, you can’t tell me NO OTHER coach couldn’t win a conference championship there.

He didn’t win the MAC at Toledo either. I‘ve consistently stated Campbell was one of my top 10 candidates. He’s just not the “homerun” hire people are making him out to be.
I guess the argument is that Campbell has been the only one to get Iowa State to a conference championship and they almost won it all. Which, hasn't happened in a long time. But the fact - to your point - that he did it at Iowa State, means that it's possible. Still, that was a covid year and lots of odd stuff was happening. And, before that despite his record at Toledo, he never reached the conference title game even in the MAC - due to losing some important games during his time there.

Despite that he's still in my top 5.

Last edited:

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
It’s pretty apparent where you stand, as you reply to just about every comment. Your opinion has been made known and I have yet to see you contribute anything more of value.
Not adding, anything of value? Because I'm not 100% on Campbell? Stop it.

Also, what are you adding? Other than coming at me? I mean, If you don't like my opinion, ignore me.

That's an option that you have yet to take and should take it. Instead of quoting me.

Reactions: SC93er

Kaptain Karl

Feb 16, 2018
Do you think I’m hurting his feelings?

Look, not only did we have to watch Clay’s clown show for many years before his firing, but we’re still watching it now. He’s not truly gone. This disastrous season — one we’re still suffering through — is on him. It’s his recruits, his systems, his coaches, his program culture. So, no, he’s not really gone yet, and I’m still unhappy with what he’s done.

I won’t write entire articles on Clay at this point, but a dig here and there? Yep, I don’t feel bad about that.

I’m glad you enjoyed the rest of the article.
gladiator GIF

SOTrojan

Aug 24, 2017
You are missing Chris’ point. Also confusing Johnny Majors and Jimmy Johnson! In the last decade, Baylor and Cincinnati had great teams with good coaches. Before Campbell, Iowa State was nothing, even with some coaches who accomplished much elsewhere during their careers. He has also done it over time. Chris is just saying Matt deserves as much praise and consideration as Fickell and Aranda. Whether he wants to come to SC or not is irrelevant when the discussion is who could bring a winning team to SC. We don’t know that Fickell or Aranda want too come to SC. Chris’ bottom line - be happy with any of the three, they all have risks, but all could elevate SC to NC status.
It’s not true that Iowa St was always trash and never had any decent sseasons. In 2000 through 2006, Dan McCarney won 9, 7, 7, 2, 7 and 7 games. Other than the 2 win season, MC hasn’t done a ton better - winning 8 a couple of times instead of 7, and this season he will win 6 or 7, plus a bowl if he stays. McCarney had worse seasons on both sides of that stretch, but Earl Bruce also did okay at ISU back in the 1970s. Neither Bruce nor McCarney are considered goat coaches. MC has coached very well at ISU, but the narrative is a little bit overblown imo.

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
It’s not true that Iowa St was always trash and never had any decent sseasons. In 2000 through 2006, Dan McCarney won 9, 7, 7, 2, 7 and 7 games. Other than the 2 win season, MC hasn’t done a ton better - winning 8 a couple of times instead of 7, and this season he will win 6 or 7, plus a bowl if he stays. McCarney had worse seasons on both sides of that stretch, but Earl Bruce also did okay at ISU back in the 1970s. Neither Bruce nor McCarney are considered goat coaches. MC has coached very well at ISU, but the narrative is a little bit overblown imo.
Thank U GIF

That Earl Bruce dude wasn’t a great coach but was very good at picking assistant coaches. Among his hires were Pete Carroll, Nick Saban and Urban Meyer.

Very interesting!

Last edited:

Trojans2021

Jun 20, 2021
But U can also argue that its harder for a team like Iowa state to win today vs 2000-2006 because of the parody. Back then it was just Texas and OU running the conference. But other teams like Baylor TCU OSU were garbage. With all the parody in the Big 12 its harder for a crappy program like ISU to win because its not like OU and Texas are taking all the talent and you get ur *** waxed by them and you can win the 10 other games. Thats why im so impressed with Campbell and what he has done.

Also, I think with the personality he has I really think he will be able to recruit very well, he can win over parents. And if your gonna miss on somebody miss on a recruiter. So if all goes wrong, I think the coach after him will inherit a lot of talent.

Arhedge

Staff member
Aug 24, 2017

I don’t think the numbers support your argument. First, McCarney was well under .500 for his career. But let’s look at your cherry-picked years and compare those to Campbell’s last five. McCarney was 39-35 (53%) and 3-22 against ranked teams. Campbell has been 38-24 (61%) and 8-10 against ranked teams. That’s substantially better. Campbell could go 1-11 over his next 12 and still have the same record.

Here’s the thing: I like Aranda. If he comes I’ll be thrilled. But the discounting of Campbell’s accomplishments to promote a guy with one good season and one terrible season as a head coach is a little weird. Campbell has done things at his school that nobody else has done. Aranda, at this point, can’t say that. He’s an incredible defensive mind with a very small sample size as a head coach.

Who would have more success between the two? Who knows? I just hope we land one of them and see what having a real coach is like. It’s been far too long.

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
Also, how was that cherry-picking the years? McCarney was at Iowa State for 11 years.... And I wouldn't say that it's substantial. Campbell's certainly an improvement. But Iowa State is still well within it's win percentage (50 to 60) and their ceiling.

Now, can't we switch that around? In terms of Campbell last year going 9-3, then he went 6-5 - Dave Aranda 2-7, then 9-2.

Can't discount or discredit either, to be honest. Yet, BU wasn't preseason ranked, like ISU was in both 2019 and 2021. In either case, of course, Aranda has a small sample size and that is noted. But it's obvious he has, what it takes, and again, Campbell had 20 returning starters this year and didn't get it done, and to me that's not something that should be overlooked. While, Aranda turned it around after one year with 16 returning starters.

End of the day, we don't know who'd work out, until one of them is named or we never find that out because neither are coming. lol

But U can also argue that its harder for a team like Iowa state to win today vs 2000-2006 because of the parody. Back then it was just Texas and OU running the conference. But other teams like Baylor TCU OSU were garbage. With all the parody in the Big 12 its harder for a crappy program like ISU to win because its not like OU and Texas are taking all the talent and you get ur *** waxed by them and you can win the 10 other games. Thats why im so impressed with Campbell and what he has done.

Also, I think with the personality he has I really think he will be able to recruit very well, he can win over parents. And if your gonna miss on somebody miss on a recruiter. So if all goes wrong, I think the coach after him will inherit a lot of talent.
That's if he ever wants to leave lol he might be like their former ISU coach Dan McCarney or like Bill Synder.

Last edited:

ScottSchrader

WeAreSC Staff
Staff member
Aug 21, 2021
Has Campbell lead ISU to a Big 12 championship? Don’t give me the ole “but it’s Iowa State”. He had a real good opportunity last season (2020) and, this year. Also, he won zero championships at Toledo. I get he could be a good coach, but there’s a lot of hyperbole in here about his accomplishments. He hasn’t proven to be a great coach, because those types wins championships.

If MC ends up as HC, chances are, the more sought after candidates turned down the job or, were unattainable. Even though
Campbell isn’t my top choice, you have to support the guy for accepting and taking the job.

No, he isn’t coming. Sure you want to stand by that first part?

This sounds like a no-brainer, and reasonable, but it doesn’t work that way.

Although Brandon Sosna hasn't told me squat about the coaching search, Matt Campbell was one of few he mentioned in casual conversations well before the season began.

So, in my mind what Campbell did previous to this season made him a candidate.

I'm not implying anything, because I don't know much about where things stand with the search, but Campbell was definitely a Top guy in my opinion.

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
Although Brandon Sosna hasn't told me squat about the coaching search, Matt Campbell was one of few he mentioned in casual conversations well before the season began.

So, in my mind what Campbell did previous to this season made him a candidate.

I'm not implying anything, because I don't know much about where things stand with the search, but Campbell was definitely a Top guy in my opinion.
I think he was the top guy for most. After last year, so that makes sense.

ScottSchrader

WeAreSC Staff
Staff member
Aug 21, 2021
All the illiterate, uneducated emotionally charged negative opinions from the peanut gallery about Matt Campbell are making me more and more excited about him as coach. I just wish I could have been on the boards when the peanut gallery freaked out when Pete Carroll was hired!
When Pete Carroll was hired my dad was still covering the team for USC Report. He was retired but doing it for fun and to help his friend Dave Daniel who owned the publication.

My dad couldn't believe Mike Garrett, who he was good friends with, hired Pete Carroll.

But my old man went to the Pete Carroll introductory Press Conference at Heritage Hall.

Covering this football team was probably the least likely thing to happen in my life back then...if you'd have asked me then.

But I called my dad that night and asked him what he thought after the presser.

"They hired the right guy, I was wrong."

I'd bet many of those in the media will feel the same way after Mike Bohn introduces Matt Campbell...should he be the guy of course.

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
All the illiterate, uneducated emotionally charged negative opinions from the peanut gallery about Matt Campbell are making me more and more excited about him as coach. I just wish I could have been on the boards when the peanut gallery freaked out when Pete Carroll was hired!
Are we really going to compare the two? I mean, you can make all the blanket statements that you want, but to claim that any of it has been emotional, is laughable. Be excited about him, but let's not act like Campbell and PC, are in the same boat. That's far more dubious than any of the presumed negative opinions that you don't like or disagree with in favor of Matt Campbell.

Last edited:
Reactions: SC93er

WillingToConquest

Sep 9, 2019
If he ends up being the guy, I can definitely get behind that. Good stuff Chris.
I was an early and spirited advocate for the hire of Baylor coach Dave Aranda.

But if Bohn succeeds in persuading Campbell to swap threads (oh wait, Iowa St has been mimicking USC's exquisite Cardinal & Gold for decades!) then that's a heckuva "concession prize."

Fight (TF) On!!

2blkk

Aug 24, 2017
Hey Erik no disrespect but WHY are you pushing for a guy
With this record over a
18 year career 76--48.
JUST ASKING
Head coaching record
Coaching career (HC unless noted)
1998Pittsburgh
1999–2002Mount Union
Position(s)Defensive lineman
2003–2004Bowling Green (GA)
2005–2006Mount Union (OC/OL)
2007Bowling Green (OL)
2008Bowling Green (RGC/OL)
2009Toledo (RGC/OL)
2010–2011Toledo (OC/OL)
2012–2015Toledo
2016–presentIowa State
Overall76–48

Daphantom99

May 6, 2020
I’ve probably been jaded by all of the Justin Fuente’s of the world who have proven that going to a bigger program with greater resources and access to higher-level talent doesn’t portend squat. How many Urban Meyer career trajectories have come along — as opposed to Fuente trajectories — since Meyer’s time at Utah?

I’m hopeful that Campbell’s skills at molding a team of 3-stars in Ames, Iowa can translate to resurrecting a blue-blood program of 4/5-stars in LA. I would definitely be okay with the hire if Aranda and Fickell were off the board. However, I’d wait on the prediction of Natty contention for a while.
Anyone notice ICU is currently ranked 22 in recruit ranking this cycle?? SC at 74...

troypwr

Aug 24, 2017
I was an early and spirited advocate for the hire of Baylor coach Dave Aranda.

But if Bohn succeeds in persuading Campbell to swap threads (oh wait, Iowa St has been mimicking USC's exquisite Cardinal & Gold for decades!) then that's a heckuva "concession prize."

Fight (TF) On!!
"Mimicking?" Their official colors are listed as Cardinal and Gold. :D I've always found that kinda weird but right now I'm taking it a s a good sign.

Rodgarnay51

Aug 24, 2017
These arguments are so LAME. No coach would win BIG12 championships at Iowa State. Last I checked Aranda has won ZERO titles as a HC either. If Campbell wasn't such a high achiever he'd have numerous titles as a DC at LSU or Alabama or Ohio State. Both are great options for USC. You can't possibly argue one is better than the other unless you're being biased.
I agree. These arguments are almost as useless as using comparative scores for football betting. You have to look a little deeper than that.

hyphy

Sep 10, 2017
I’d be happy with either fickle, aranda, or MC however I’m hoping this admin doesn’t botch this hire. It’s a big drop off after those three.

our backup options are: sitake, Oregon states coach, quinn and o brien?

mngtscrwdup

Sep 30, 2017
So we are hearing that Fickell and Aranda are off the boards and now Matt Campbell is the hot name.

NOOOOO!

He just isnt that good of a coach. He has been at Iowa State for 6 years and his team is only 6-5? He only had one good year and went 9-3, his other years the team was 3-9, 8-5, 8-5, 7-6. Luck Fickell has shown us that a really great head coach can take a school with no recruiting advantages, like Cincinnati and turn it into a winner at the highest level. What is Matt Campbell’s excuse.

So, we should go after Kyle Whittingham. After that, there are no other truly great head coaches that we can get. We should decide that the really great head coaches are off the table and we need to go after the best coordinator we can get. A real winner.

What does USC need to win?

1. Culture change
2. Recruiting prowess
3. Great coaches
4. Solid schematics and overall program resources

What type of team do we want to build?

1. Lead with defense
2. Balanced offense / great schematic mastery
3. Win at the line of scrimmage

So who fits the bill? Dan Lanning.

How does he fit the criteria?

1. Culture change – He is young, tough-minded, has disciplined teams and will never accept a soft culture. His youth is a plus here, not a negative
2. Recruiting – He is simply the #1 recruiter nationwide. He does not have experience recruiting the LA market specifically, but that really wont matter.
3. Great coaches – This is the one area he should be vetted. How would he build his coaching staff? He needs to be able to bring in a top OC to run the offensive schematics. Lure the best OC to LA with more money and more authority to run the offense the way he wants.
4. Solid schematics and overall program resources – Lanning has been at Georgia and learned from one of the top 3 programs in the nation. He will know how to build a similar organization.

Bohn and Sosna have done a terrible job so far of managing this transition. They didnt give Donte the authority to clean ship on TO and GH during the season, so the team just sank into apathy. They should have enticed either Fickell or Aranda to leave mid-season, before they became hotter names and decided to stay where they are. Bohn/Sosna need to make up for their failures and resist the pressure to hire a big name head coach who is mediocre, at best. Have the frickin guts to hire Lanning. Yes, you will take flack for it from some idiots who dont understand how to build an organization. Who cares?

Hire the winner. For once guys, have some vision here.

mngtscrwdup

Sep 30, 2017
I agree. These arguments are almost as useless as using comparative scores for football betting. You have to look a little deeper than that.
The argument that MC is limited by the school is proven false by the fact that Fickell has taken Cincinnati this far. The real truth is that when a smaller school gets a great head coach, they start winning and the head coach gets lured away by a bigger program.

6-5 in his sixth season? That is a mediocre head coach.

Maybe he is better than average, but he is NOT a great HC.

Do we want to win, or not????

Hire a winner. I would take Sitake before MC in an instant.

But the real winner is/will be Dan Lanning.

mngtscrwdup

Sep 30, 2017
So if we compare football coaches to stocks, would you rather put all your money on a up and comer stock like Nvidia five years ago when noone had heard of it, or JP Morgan. Sure JP Morgan has done fine over the past 5 years, but Nvidia has been a monster return.

If we want to win big, we cant think small. It is very small thinking to hire a head coach who is mediocre. Better to hire a coordinator who is incredible and ready to take the next step up to head coach.

Kaptain Karl

Feb 16, 2018
So we are hearing that Fickell and Aranda are off the boards and now Matt Campbell is the hot name.

NOOOOO!

He just isnt that good of a coach. He has been at Iowa State for 6 years and his team is only 6-5? He only had one good year and went 9-3, his other years the team was 3-9, 8-5, 8-5, 7-6. Luck Fickell has shown us that a really great head coach can take a school with no recruiting advantages, like Cincinnati and turn it into a winner at the highest level. What is Matt Campbell’s excuse.

So, we should go after Kyle Whittingham. After that, there are no other truly great head coaches that we can get. We should decide that the really great head coaches are off the table and we need to go after the best coordinator we can get. A real winner.

What does USC need to win?

1. Culture change
2. Recruiting prowess
3. Great coaches
4. Solid schematics and overall program resources

What type of team do we want to build?

1. Lead with defense
2. Balanced offense / great schematic mastery
3. Win at the line of scrimmage

So who fits the bill? Dan Lanning.

How does he fit the criteria?

1. Culture change – He is young, tough-minded, has disciplined teams and will never accept a soft culture. His youth is a plus here, not a negative
2. Recruiting – He is simply the #1 recruiter nationwide. He does not have experience recruiting the LA market specifically, but that really wont matter.
3. Great coaches – This is the one area he should be vetted. How would he build his coaching staff? He needs to be able to bring in a top OC to run the offensive schematics. Lure the best OC to LA with more money and more authority to run the offense the way he wants.
4. Solid schematics and overall program resources – Lanning has been at Georgia and learned from one of the top 3 programs in the nation. He will know how to build a similar organization.

Bohn and Sosna have done a terrible job so far of managing this transition. They didnt give Donte the authority to clean ship on TO and GH during the season, so the team just sank into apathy. They should have enticed either Fickell or Aranda to leave mid-season, before they became hotter names and decided to stay where they are. Bohn/Sosna need to make up for their failures and resist the pressure to hire a big name head coach who is mediocre, at best. Have the frickin guts to hire Lanning. Yes, you will take flack for it from some idiots who dont understand how to build an organization. Who cares?

Hire the winner. For once guys, have some vision here.
Billy Madison Shut Up GIF

mngtscrwdup

Sep 30, 2017
Has Campbell lead ISU to a Big 12 championship? Don’t give me the ole “but it’s Iowa State”. He had a real good opportunity last season (2020) and, this year. Also, he won zero championships at Toledo. I get he could be a good coach, but there’s a lot of hyperbole in here about his accomplishments. He hasn’t proven to be a great coach, because those types wins championships.

If MC ends up as HC, chances are, the more sought after candidates turned down the job or, were unattainable. Even though
Campbell isn’t my top choice, you have to support the guy for accepting and taking the job.

Campbell's track record is nowhere near Fickell and Aranda. He isnt that great of a head coach.

CSC96

Apr 29, 2020

It does work that way. USC gets 4 and 5 star recruits normally, though it’s tailed off some recently. USC has had a couple of 1st Round draft picks recently, but many guys drop down while they’re at USC and many transferred out. Clay Helton’s culture not conducive to developing NFL talent.

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
It does work that way. USC gets 4 and 5 star recruits normally, though it’s tailed off some recently. USC has had a couple of 1st Round draft picks recently, but many guys drop down while they’re at USC and many transferred out. Clay Helton’s culture not conducive to developing NFL talent.
What first round picks transferred out of USC?

DaFireMedic

Aug 24, 2017
I’d be happy with either fickle, aranda, or MC however I’m hoping this admin doesn’t botch this hire. It’s a big drop off after those three.

our backup options are: sitake, Oregon states coach, quinn and o brien?
Getting one of those 3 to come may not be in Bohn’s control, and it doesn’t necessarily mean that he botched it. He can only make offers and try to persuade them, but in the end, it’s the coach’s decision. We can’t make anyone come to USC.

I do see a big drop off in fan excitement after Fickell and Aranda though. Right or wrong, I don’t think Campbell will generate the excitement initially, though I think he’d be a good hire.

flyerz73

Aug 24, 2017
I acknowledge that Campbell has done great things at ISU. However, I'm concerned that success at ISU might not translate to championship-level success at USC. Yes, he has an eye for three-stars who can be developed into excellent players. I also believe that he will be able to identify the four and five-stars who could be great at USC. The problem is that those same guys will be identified and targeted by Bama, Clemson, Ohio St, Georgia, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M, and Oregon. Look at all of the recent players that USC targeted, but who signed with those schools instead. Will Campbell be able to pull enough of them to build a championship team at USC? He's never had to fight those kinds of recruiting battles. Can he beat Saban or Swinney for the next great Cali QB? Can he beat Smart for anyone from GA? Can he pull kids away from the glitz of Oregon? Can he out-recruit Notre Dame? Heck, can he even beat Texas for the next great RB out of Central Calif? I haven't even mentioned UCLA. As you like to say, we don't know. We also don't know about Aranda or Fickell, but at least those guys have been on the big stage. I guess we'll see.

Cyrus.usc

Aug 24, 2017
Ok Campbell experts, is he a defensive or offensive oriented coach? I like us to hire a defensive minded coach. Fickell and Aranda obviously qualify. But reading Campbell’s bio it is not clear. He has been OL and OC coach so he seems to be on the offense side but as a player he was DL. If he is equally good on both sides then that maybe even better.

Playing DL and coaching OL means he knows the importance of those, unlike the son of the OL coach.

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
I acknowledge that Campbell has done great things at ISU. However, I'm concerned that success at ISU might not translate to championship-level success at USC. Yes, he has an eye for three-stars who can be developed into excellent players. I also believe that he will be able to identify the four and five-stars who could be great at USC. The problem is that those same guys will be identified and targeted by Bama, Clemson, Ohio St, Georgia, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M, and Oregon. Look at all of the recent players that USC targeted, but who signed with those schools instead. Will Campbell be able to pull enough of them to build a championship team at USC? He's never had to fight those kinds of recruiting battles. Can he beat Saban or Swinney for the next great Cali QB? Can he beat Smart for anyone from GA? Can he pull kids away from the glitz of Oregon? Can he out-recruit Notre Dame? Heck, can he even beat Texas for the next great RB out of Central Calif? I haven't even mentioned UCLA. As you like to say, we don't know. We also don't know about Aranda or Fickell, but at least those guys have been on the big stage. I guess we'll see.
Agreed

Ok Campbell experts, is he a defensive or offensive oriented coach? I like us to hire a defensive minded coach. Fickell and Aranda obviously qualify. But reading Campbell’s bio it is not clear. He has been OL and OC coach so he seems to be on the offense side but as a player he was DL. If he is equally good on both sides then that maybe even better.

Playing DL and coaching OL means he knows the importance of those, unlike the son of the OL coach.
:ROFLMAO:

Latest posts