Musings from Arledge: Matt Campbell

yah20002

Aug 24, 2017
Although Brandon Sosna hasn't told me squat about the coaching search, Matt Campbell was one of few he mentioned in casual conversations well before the season began.

So, in my mind what Campbell did previous to this season made him a candidate.

I'm not implying anything, because I don't know much about where things stand with the search, but Campbell was definitely a Top guy in my opinion.
Interesting. I know they had to do their homework and vet a number of candidates before the season. I assume Urban was Bohn‘s original choice, so he’s had to reverse coarse and pivot in another direction. There’s a part of me that feels like SC is settling, if they don’t bring in an Urban caliber football coach.

Campbell's track record is nowhere near Fickell and Aranda. He isnt that great of a head coach.
He‘s been pretty good, for sure. I won’t consider him to be a great coach yet, either. If Campbell gets the SC job, he’ll have to prove greatness, or fans won‘t be happy with this hire.

heyrev

Aug 24, 2017
you think I’m hurting his feelings?
No, but I think you sound petty. Why disparage a man just to exhume your own frustration? Besides, the guy allowed you to put your snark on full display and made you a star around here. Here's another vote to let it go. You can rip me, instead...

BuTrojan

Aug 24, 2017
Interesting. I know they had to do their homework and vet a number of candidates before the season. I assume Urban was Bohn‘s original choice, so he’s had to reverse coarse and pivot in another direction. There’s a part of me that feels like SC is settling, if they don’t bring in an Urban caliber football coach.

He‘s been pretty good, for sure. I won’t consider him to be a great coach yet, either. If Campbell gets the SC job, he’ll have to prove greatness, or fans won‘t be happy with this hire.
No coach USC is considering is a GREAT coach. How many GREAT coaches are in college football today? Saban and Dabo? Aranda hasn't even been a HC for 2 seasons and his record is barely above .500. MC hasn't coached in a real P5 program yet. Fickell hasn't even been a head coach in the P5 at all. All have questions, yet all would be outstanding hires.

mngtscrwdup

Sep 30, 2017
No coach USC is considering is a GREAT coach. How many GREAT coaches are in college football today? Saban and Dabo? Aranda hasn't even been a HC for 2 seasons and his record is barely above .500. MC hasn't coached in a real P5 program yet. Fickell hasn't even been a head coach in the P5 at all. All have questions, yet all would be outstanding hires

mngtscrwdup

Sep 30, 2017
I agree that none of the head coaches that are left are great coaches (maybe Sitaki or Whittingham if they are interested and maybe Clawson). So where do we find a future great head coach? A top coordinator who is ready for the move up. I know everyone here doesnt want to promote a coordinator, but that is much better than hiring a mediocre head coach.

Rolling the dice on a partial unknown is better than betting on something that you know is going to fail to meet our expectations.

When we promoted Helton he was NOT a decent coach, so that is not what we are doing if we get a top coordinator for the position.

BuTrojan

Aug 24, 2017
I agree that none of the head coaches that are left are great coaches (maybe Sitaki or Whittingham if they are interested and maybe Clawson). So where do we find a future great head coach? A top coordinator who is ready for the move up. I know everyone here doesnt want to promote a coordinator, but that is much better than hiring a mediocre head coach.

Rolling the dice on a partial unknown is better than betting on something that you know is going to fail to meet our expectations.

When we promoted Helton he was NOT a decent coach, so that is not what we are doing if we get a top coordinator for the position.
If we get a coordinator, hope its from the NFL. Altho I think the coach will be MC.... announced next weekend after the Cal game - out of respect for Donte. Will see what his first 90 days are like.

Arhedge

Staff member
Aug 24, 2017
No, but I think you sound petty. Why disparage a man just to exhume your own frustration? Besides, the guy allowed you to put your snark on full display and made you a star around here. Here's another vote to let it go. You can rip me, instead...
Nah, I have no beef with you. Besides, you’d leave the board over me again, and then where would I be?

USCFAM88

Nov 25, 2021
Do you think I’m hurting his feelings?

Look, not only did we have to watch Clay’s clown show for many years before his firing, but we’re still watching it now. He’s not truly gone. This disastrous season — one we’re still suffering through — is on him. It’s his recruits, his systems, his coaches, his program culture. So, no, he’s not really gone yet, and I’m still unhappy with what he’s done.

I won’t write entire articles on Clay at this point, but a dig here and there? Yep, I don’t feel bad about that.

I’m glad you enjoyed the rest of the article.
Yes, CH’s fingerprints are still all over the program and I also don‘t feel bad about you pointing them out so we don’t go down a similar path again. Still ticked off over what should’ve happened a long time ago.

heyrev

Aug 24, 2017
Nah, I have no beef with you. Besides, you’d leave the board over me again, and then where would I be?
Never left for good because of you--just needed a time out. Don't flatter yourself. Difference between insufferable and intolerable, no?

yah20002

Aug 24, 2017
No coach USC is considering is a GREAT coach. How many GREAT coaches are in college football today? Saban and Dabo? Aranda hasn't even been a HC for 2 seasons and his record is barely above .500. MC hasn't coached in a real P5 program yet. Fickell hasn't even been a head coach in the P5 at all. All have questions, yet all would be outstanding hires.
No doubt. There‘s just been a precipitous fall from hoping to get an Urban type, and what reality is today. If it’s Aranda, MC, or Fickell, they’ll have the stage to show and prove greatness.

SonofGodzilla

Aug 30, 2017
If we get a coordinator, hope its from the NFL. Altho I think the coach will be MC.... announced next weekend after the Cal game - out of respect for Donte. Will see what his first 90 days are like.
Wait a week outta respect for Donte ? Really. Recruiting is in a tailspin . No time to wait. We've been getting BLOWN OUT under DW. P.S we need a Head Coach who can coach first not recruit.

BlackLeftLeft

Aug 21, 2019
Campbell just coached the team to five straight winning seasons, the last time that happened was from1923-1927 when they were known as Iowa State College of Agricultural and Mechanical Arts and went 4-3-1 for five years straight in the Missouri Valley Intercollegiate Athletic Association.

Iowa State A&M sounds like one of the made up school I would have predicted ConMan Clay would end up at like Southwestern New Mexico Tech.

mngtscrwdup

Sep 30, 2017
So we are being sold on a mediocre head coach in Matt Campbell. The final destruction of the USC football program under BOHNHEAD is eminent.

We have been told that it would be Fickell or Aranda, but those were never coaches that Bohn could close. So instead of getting the next best coaches, we get Matt Campbell. The guy is highly over-rated. He has been at Iowa State for 6 years and hasnt got them to the top of the Big 12. Aranda is in his second year and has the team knocking on that door.

Was Napier ever considered? He has his team ranked #23 in the nation. How about Mark Stoops? I would even think that we should consider Lane Kiffin. They are all better coaches than Matt Campbell.

The prospect of a national championship under Matt Campbell is very remote. Trojan family, we got F'(olt) ed again.

TrojanHorse

Aug 24, 2017
It's certainly not a denial...

When pressed further if he plans to speak with schools next week, Campbell replied, "So far, Matt Campbell hasn't talked to anybody."

Reactions: DaFireMedic

Garfield28

Nov 20, 2019
If top 3 options are not in play then go after Georgia DC. Might as well take a chance. That D is scary good.

Peete2Affholter

Aug 24, 2017
Arledge makes a great case for Campbell, but others also make solid case against him (or at least, preaching caution).

Not sure where I stand with Campbell. I get the vibe that he could be yet another Fuente or Scott Frost, but perhaps he takes his modest success at an historical minnow and becomes the next Nick Saban.

As mentioned, coaching hires are inherently fraught with uncertainty; the situation one was successful in at one school may not exist at his next stop, and he may not have the means of re-creating it. Or - as maybe in the case of Campbell, relatively modest success at a program that has been mostly quite bad is projected into mega-success at a program which has historically been quite good.

Whoever we get will have my full support as a fan, in any case. I just hope our Administration will also support him. I'm not holding my breath on that one.....

eftzoons

Sep 12, 2021
Hey, I freaking PRAY that it is Campbell, but all the awful background chatter to the contrary this morning has me in a freaking dither. Let all these rumors be FALSE!!!!

Latest posts