NAACP asks black student-athletes to boycott FL

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
I can go along with that if everyone got the same opportunity and everyone gets treated fairly the same,but we would be lying to ourselves if we believed that is occurring in every situation. There is inequality on many levels in these matters to be honest.
I don't disagree. It's human nature. Every human being alive has some sort of discriminatory aspect to them. How many short, fat, bald, red headed pharma sales reps have you ever seen?? But it also doesn't mean my kid should be passed over in order to hit certain DEI goals either. Not saying that happened, but it's a concern, just as it's a concern that coop pointed out earlier.

Gamecock Jacque

Joined Dec 20, 2020
Jan 30, 2022
I remember the recent Supreme Court case about how race wasn't on college applications. Oh, wait.

I've also had race asked on every professional application I've ever filled out for decades. But that's anecdotal.
If you were born in America you get to check the Native American box. Because words mean things.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

(My emphasis)
Right. Not judged. Not judged positively. Not judged negatively. It is a statement which implies that skin color should be a non-factor. And he was fairly consistent with that position.

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
When people started paying attention to what was being taught under DEI.
It would be helpful to understand what the state of FL defines DEI as. So let's take a look:

“Diversity, Equity and or Inclusion” or “DEI” is any program, campus activity, or policy that classifies individuals on the basis of race, color, sex, national origin, gender identity, or sexual orientation and promotes differential or preferential treatment of individuals on the basis of such classification.

I don't know why telling universities they cannot spend federal or state money giving differential or preferential treatment to some is so controversial. It's telling that UF eliminated the whole DEI program. Admitting that it's just to give preferential treatment based on skin. It's not to protect anything, or for equality.

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
It would be helpful to understand what the state of FL defines DEI as. So let's take a look:

“Diversity, Equity and or Inclusion” or “DEI” is any program, campus activity, or policy that classifies individuals on the basis of race, color, sex, national origin, gender identity, or sexual orientation and promotes differential or preferential treatment of individuals on the basis of such classification.

I don't know why telling universities they cannot spend federal or state money giving differential or preferential treatment to some is so controversial. It's telling that UF eliminated the whole DEI program. Admitting that it's just to give preferential treatment based on skin. It's not to protect anything, or for equality.

To continue my disdain for one "contributor", I'll go ahead and predict that the thread will shift to start arguing how some people are misusing the term "DEI", and that's not what it's supposed represent. Even though it plainly says it.

gamecockcleo

Sep 30, 2023
Would you be in favor of just eliminating the race question from college applications all together? I mean, if you got the grades you got the grades. It's an institution of higher learning. No different than a bball team. You can either play or you can't. If you can, you can be on the team. If you can't, find somewhere else where the standards are lower. Same with grades. Should race matter? If you're smart you're smart.
I can go along with that if everyone got the same opportunity and everyone gets treated fairly the same,but we would be lying to ourselves if we believed that is occurring in every situation. There is inequality on many levels in these matters to be honest
Actually, the race question is eliminated from most application for enrollment in institutions and applications for employment. However, we have to tell the truth. Most White People don't communicate in Black circles and vice versa. So, we don't actually know who the qualified people are in many cases. For example, how many of you would have hired Lamont Paris? Probably very few of you. I can pull up some of the posts from just last year and many of you would be embarrassed at some of the things I said. You had no knowledge of this man's training and background with Bo Ryan. He was just this Black guy with the thin resume from UT-Chattanooga that had the kids out there playing "Street Ball" (Some of your words, not mine). With all that being said, all DEI programs are supposed to do is act as a liason to promote applicants that were already qualified, but unrecognized. They are not there to just give the Black guy the job as some unfortunately tend to think.
Exactly,that's why there preconceived notion people of people of different races
I get it. Asking, bc I honestly don't know, in what ways are universities trying to exclude Black students? As a white man going through the process with my daughter, it seems quite the opposite. So I'm just wondering what I am missing. Also, at most major universities in FL the white student population is under 50%.

Yes. I actually was a President of a Chapter for years. Parents have been members during the height of the Civil Rights Era. So, I am going to know more than most in this space. So, quoting a misquoting a MLK line or two or not going to work well with me. Hear that type of stuff all the time. I got into a discussion with a poster on a separate diversity issue as it relates to our Women's Basketball team. The poster was mad at Dawn Staley for not recruiting White players. I had no problem in theory of his wish for diversity. However, my issue was you have got to have White players that are willing to come that can help us win at the same level. So, I didn't have any issue with his wish for Diversity in theory. My question was how do we make that happen while maintaining the same success. Under your line of thinking, promoting diversity is favoring one race over another. It's not. It's recognizing that different people bring different strengths to the table so it would seem to be a healthy thing to promote. It seems we want to demonize everything in this day and time though.
Well l think Dawn goes after the best players that she can get to come in and help her win but for some reason people think she just recruits minority players but if that was so why is Chloé Kitts on the team ? Because she can play and fit in Dawn's system oh by the way her system works very well, it's a well oil machine if you get what l am saying look at the resorts 104 wins and 3 losses in the last 3 years so far

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
To continue my disdain for one "contributor", I'll go ahead and predict that the thread will shift to start arguing how some people are misusing the term "DEI", and that's not what it's supposed represent. Even though it plainly says it.
Yep. All the universities have to do is exactly what they SAY they're doing...making sure minorities aren't discriminated against. Nothing in the law limiting that.

Reactions: Lurker123

adcoop

Jul 3, 2023
This protest is about making noise, not correcting a problem. MLK never did a protest without having addressed the problem and what the solution can be. The NAACP lost that vision back in the 1980's using bait and switch tactics.
I think you should do your research MLK a little better and take a look at some of his proposed protests he was about to become involved in right before his death. Everyone focuses on the bus boycott and I have a dream. They really don't know King at all and what he stood for. MLK gets misquoted in what I see as a lame effort to get Black people to never complain.

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
I can go along with that if everyone got the same opportunity and everyone gets treated fairly the same,but we would be lying to ourselves if we believed that is occurring in every situation. There is inequality on many levels in these matters to be honest

Exactly,that's why there preconceived notion people of people of different races

Well l think Dawn goes after the best players that she can get to come in and help her win but for some reason people think she just recruits minority players but if that was so why is Chloé Kitts on the team ? Because she can play and fit in Dawn's system oh by the way her system works very well, it's a well oil machine if you get what l am saying look at the resorts 104 wins and 3 losses in the last 3 years so far
With Dawn, you're making my point. It doesn't matter if there are differing backgrounds, differing POVs. In sports, we just say "ah, it doesn't matter. Only the best, doesn't matter what color they are." That's the way it should be. There is ZERO concern for inclusion, equity, and diversity in sports programs. It's ALL about stats, metrics, and W/Ls. Her, Beamer, Paris, King, and every other coach we have is going after the best players they possible can. That's how the student population should be as well.

adcoop

Jul 3, 2023
Most job applications and/or federal forms ask you to self-identify by race, gender, etc. for what reason? Companies have to prove they meet certain government guidelines/quotas. How does that help find the most qualified individual?
There have been numerous experiments where individuals have applied using different responses and gotten different results. May not be scientific but it does tell you something is not right.
That is not required. In most cases, you can identify if you want to. You may not like the reasons, but there are statistical reason behind that. For example, the statistical fact that most want to not recognize: A White Male High School Dropout is just as likely to get a call back for a second interview as a Black College Graduate. How, do we not find out these things, if we don't identify. I think some of you rather stay in the dark on things like that. That way you can always think Black people didn't get jobs because they were somehow unqualified.

adcoop

Jul 3, 2023
I remember the recent Supreme Court case about how race wasn't on college applications. Oh, wait.

I've also had race asked on every professional application I've ever filled out for decades. But that's anecdotal.
Look at the fine print, my friend. It's optional. As a Black person, I always declined when I applied for jobs. I did that because I wanted to people to look at my resume and give me a chance instead of taking the chance of looking me over because of that. Things could have worked the other way around, but I always declined.

adcoop

Jul 3, 2023
Who is misquoting? It’s a direct and straight quote from him that he dreamed of a world where people are not judged by their skin color.

It’s a fairly simple quote, which requires a lot of verbal gymnastics to say it means other than what it clearly means.
Probably a better description for what you are doing is taking the quote you like and using it way out of context. What I call Cherry Picking. The quote you used comes from a speech. Read whole speech and put it in its proper context. A problem many have when referring to King is that he completed all work that needed to be done when it comes to Civil Rights. He was just getting started. He was getting started on jobs and the money. Probably would be shocked that King would have supported Reparations. However, all you know is "I have a Dream".

Bubba Fett

Joined Oct 6, 2000
Feb 1, 2022
Most DEI programs are based on contemporary critical theory. In other words, based on poisonous garbage. Every State should get rid of it, with a flamethrower (that's rhetorical, not literal).

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
What? DEI is not a class. SMH.

Who said it was a class? Talk about SMDH.

We've been over this "is it a class, or on the syllabus" dodge before. And it was just as lame then.

Last edited:

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
Look at the fine print, my friend. It's optional.

Interesting. First it was "eliminated", now it's "optional".

And I know white people who wished they could decline too, based on quotas.

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
Who is misquoting? It’s a direct and straight quote from him that he dreamed of a world where people are not judged by their skin color.

It’s a fairly simple quote, which requires a lot of verbal gymnastics to say it means other than what it clearly means.

And we got that verbal gymnastics you were talking about. You can't quote the man, and use his words to determine what he said. That's just crazy.

Atlanta Cock

Jan 18, 2022
Actually, if you researched your history on MLK, this is the very type of boycott that MLK would have been involved in.
Incorrect. He was into peaceful protest for civil rights. DEI is racism. MLK and JFK wouldn't be welcome in today's Dem party.

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
My thought has always been to ANY group black, white, Hispanic, straight, gay, Jew, Christian, Native Americans, Martian....whatever: if you feel your group or friends are being discriminated against or insulted by a business, don't take your business to them. The Dollar carries a lot of weight. I remember when I was a kid, my Dad ran 2 retail businesses. One was a liquor store. Unfortunately, I was not allowed to work in the liquor store. I guess I was not trusted that I might drink some of the profits. But I was allowed to work in the other. In that store, we sold all kinds of things: ice cream, sodas, hamburgers, hot dogs, milk shakes, magazines (including Playboy and Penthouse), comic books, cookies, cakes, crackers, cigarettes, cigarsetc. My Dad hired teenagers to work in that store. Whenever I finished giving the customer whatever he or she was buying, I'd say: "Thank you, sir" or "Thank you, ma'am". One day, one of the older white boys took me aside and said "Don't say 'sir' or 'ma'am" to blacks" (I suspect he didn't say the word "blacks"; but I honestly don't remember). I do remember wanting to buy a bike and other expensive items back in the day. Thinking about it, I concluded that a black person's dollar bills would go just as far as a white persons dollar bills to buy whatever I wanted back then. Consequently, I ignored the white teenager's advice. Nothing motivates human behavior, outside of a gun, more than money. I know it motivated me. Similarly, I always say about blacks who might be stopped for traffic violations: I have no sympathy whatsoever for them if they get hurt or even killed if they did not do what the cops told them to do. I say "Do whatever the police tell you to do. If you feel you have been mistreated, then that's what lawyers and the courts are for. If you're lucky, you might get life-changing money".

If highly recruited black athletes don't want to go to the Florida schools, I hope they will strongly consider my alma mater.

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
I absolutely do not like DEI. When I was working, I hired and supervised lots of people: Blacks, Whites. male, females. I did not care whether they were "straight" or gay. Their religious beliefs or non-beliefs did not matter to me. I only cared if they could get the job done. Why? Because my neck was on the line. If I hired losers, I would eventually pay the price.

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
My thought has always been to ANY group black, white, Hispanic, straight, gay, Jew, Christian, Native Americans, Martian....whatever: if you feel your group or friends are being discriminated against or insulted by a business, don't take your business to them. The Dollar carries a lot of weight. I remember when I was a kid, my Dad ran 2 retail businesses. One was a liquor store. Unfortunately, I was not allowed to work in the liquor store. I guess I was not trusted that I might drink some of the profits. But I was allowed to work in the other. In that store, we sold all kinds of things: ice cream, sodas, hamburgers, hot dogs, milk shakes, magazines (including Playboy and Penthouse), comic books, cookies, cakes, crackers, cigarettes, cigarsetc. My Dad hired teenagers to work in that store. Whenever I finished giving the customer whatever he or she was buying, I'd say: "Thank you, sir" or "Thank you, ma'am". One day, one of the older white boys took me aside and said "Don't say 'sir' or 'ma'am" to blacks" (I suspect he didn't say the word "blacks"; but I honestly don't remember). I do remember wanting to buy a bike and other expensive items back in the day. Thinking about it, I concluded that a black person's dollar bills would go just as far as a white persons dollar bills to buy whatever I wanted back then. Consequently, I ignored the white teenager's advice. Nothing motivates human behavior, outside of a gun, more than money. I know it motivated me. Similarly, I always say about blacks who might be stopped for traffic violations: I have no sympathy whatsoever for them if they get hurt or even killed if they did not do what the cops told them to do. I say "Do whatever the police tell you to do. If you feel you have been mistreated, then that's what lawyers and the courts are for. If you're lucky, you might get life-changing money".

If highly recruited black athletes don't want to go to the Florida schools, I hope they will strongly consider my alma mater.

Agree completely, except for the Martians. Those people suck and should go back to their own planet.

• Haha
Reactions: gamecock stock

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
It doesn't judge skin color. You want to put a negative connotation on it. That's okay. You oppose it. I get it. However, it is to promote diversity. That's it. I really don't get the big issue. It's not some quota system. Being against the very notion of promoting diversity is kind of saying you want to exclude without coming right out and saying it.
That's a good point. I'm totally against racism. One thing I found out back in the days when I was responsible for hiring and supervising is that a diverse group made for a happy group. It's human nature that people are happier working in an environment where there are some people who are like them. I remember at times making contact with predominantly black schools. Or I had contacts at the Employment Security Commission to help out. Or I made contact with friends whose judgment I had no question about. I never hired a less qualified minority over a non-minority. They had to be at least as qualified. You might say that if I hired an equally qualified minority over an equally qualified white, that's racism. I based my decisions on what was best for the organization, promoting cohesion and good chemistry. That might mean hiring a minority over an equally qualified white. So when I say I'm against DEI. I'm against it if it means bypassing a more qualified person.

Reactions: Lurker123

Psycock

Joined Jan 20, 2001
Jan 29, 2022
DEI - the exact OPPOSITE of what Dr. King stood for. So sad to see all of these woke people and outfits promoting reverse discrimination, which is exactly what DEI stands for. They just go about it in a deceptive way now. They don`t want equality - they want favoritism.

Statepawdog

Jun 30, 2022
It is amazing that people like DaSantis will spend their whole life in trying to undermine minorities. For God sakes, America is only about ten percent black. We are not a threat to take over white people lives.

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
It doesn't judge skin color. You want to put a negative connotation on it. That's okay. You oppose it. I get it. However, it is to promote diversity. That's it. I really don't get the big issue. It's not some quota system. Being against the very notion of promoting diversity is kind of saying you want to exclude without coming right out and saying it.
It's probably the main reason why I got an academic scholarship to law school. I was a graduate from a small town HS that sent less than 30% of their student body to college or trade school in a state whose educational system's motto was "Thenk God for Mississippi." Gradduated from USCS with a 3.8 and aa high LSAT score....worked for 6 years as a project accountant. I was one of 4 students from the deep south admitted (SC, GA, FL and MS)....three of which received scholarships to attend and we considered ourselves the "token aoutherners." So diversity does work in ways that most can't concieve of.

b-flag

Joined Oct 19, 2002
Jan 21, 2022
Just one more reason to abolish NCAA. But what does Dawn say?
i have some groups i would like abolished.......and i bet you would feign outrage
i hope the best black players in florida listen to this person, no matter if said person is misguided. let us embrace diversity and get the best players
it is a loss-win situation

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
It's probably the main reason why I got an academic scholarship to law school. I was a graduate from a small town HS that sent less than 30% of their student body to college or trade school in a state whose educational system's motto was "Thenk God for Mississippi." Gradduated from USCS with a 3.8 and aa high LSAT score....worked for 6 years as a project accountant. I was one of 4 students from the deep south admitted (SC, GA, FL and MS)....three of which received scholarships to attend and we considered ourselves the "token aoutherners." So diversity does work in ways that most can't concieve of.
That’s great that you got an opportunity. I posted this earlier in the thread. But this is text from the actual bill on what FL is disallowing funding for.

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
That’s great that you got an opportunity. I posted this earlier in the thread. But this is text from the actual bill on what FL is disallowing funding for.

So thats how the Florida legislature defined it. Figures, they have never stuck me as bing too terribly bright. They don't even realize that there is geographiical, age, or educational diversity, etc.

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
So thats how the Florida legislature defined it. Figures, they have never stuck me as bing too terribly bright. They don't even realize that there is geographiical, age, or educational diversity, etc.
So you agree or disagree that taxpayer money should fund university programs that discriminate based on race, sex, or nationality? The state of FL says no.

The fact that UF immediately shut down their DEI department tells you all you need to know about their intentions.

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
So you agree or disagree that taxpayer money should fund university programs that discriminate based on race, sex, or nationality? The state of FL says no.

The fact that UF immediately shut down their DEI department tells you all you need to know about their intentions.
That makes the presumption that is what DEI programs do. I disagree with the presumption.....but it doesn't surprise me that the idiocy in politcs makes that jump as it has nothing to do with the reality of it, it is simply the perception they want to set up.

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
That makes the presumption that is what DEI programs do. I disagree with the presumption.....but it doesn't surprise me that the idiocy in politcs makes that jump as it has nothing to do with the reality of it, it is simply the perception they want to set up.

There's another way to look at it. The legislature banned any program that "promotes differential or preferential treatment of individuals on the basis of such classification."

If the schools wanted to argue that the programs didn't promote preferential treatment, then they could have kept the program. The fact they disbanded it strongly hints to me they knew it did just that.

But I am no lawyer. I simply watched a lot of Law and Order.

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
Right. It makes the presumption. But if that's not what's going on, then no harm no foul right? IF that's not accurate, then universities can just keep doing what they're doing. UF AND FSU proved that presumption correct when it shuddered it's entire program immediately after this passed. IF they weren't discriminating based on race, sex, or nationality it wouldn't have applied to them. But they were, so they shut it down.

This is very similar to the boogie man GA "voter suppression law". Politicians LOVE fighting between blacks and whites. If we'd just stop fighting they'd be in trouble. Don't get fixated on the term DEI, CRT, whatever other acronym comes along. All FL did was say taxpayer money would no longer be used to discriminate based on race, sex, or nationality. Period. I can't imagine a world where that would be controversial.

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
There's another way to look at it. The legislature banned any program that "promotes differential or preferential treatment of individuals on the basis of such classification."

If the schools wanted to argue that the programs didn't promote preferential treatment, then they could have kept the program. The fact they disbanded it strongly hints to me they knew it did just that.

But I am no lawyer. I simply watched a lot of Law and Order.
That's the point I'm trying to make. Don't focus on the acronyms. Don't get all pissed off bc they didn't define DEI right. They defined it the way they defined it. IF it doesn't apply to a university then no big deal. Do your thing. But BOTH UF and FSU proved otherwise, as both dismantled their programs.

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
You didn't answer my question. Do you think your tax money should pay for universities to discriminate based on race, sex, or nationality?

vacock

Joined Oct 26, 1998 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 20, 2022

Doesn’t DEI discriminate based on race, sex, or color of your skin?