NAACP asks black student-athletes to boycott FL

Tngamecock

Jan 22, 2022
Florida College: we would like to offer you an all expense paid education with some NIL money to come play for us.

Athlete: no thanks….your DEI policy is not to my liking

Gamecock Jacque

Joined Dec 20, 2020
Jan 30, 2022
Florida College: we would like to offer you an all expense paid education with some NIL money to come play for us.

You would think that there would be athletes that would feel that Florida's DEI policy was to their liking. Athletes don't all have to think alike.

Reactions: USCEDGE

Blues man

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Jan 22, 2022
Why just student-athletes? Why not advise students to do the same if they feel so strong about anti-DEI policies. As far as I know, the anti-DEI policies aren't just limited to athletic departments so why halfazz it?

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
You would think that there would be athletes that would feel that Florida's DEI policy was to their liking. Athletes don't all have to think alike.
Whenever I see DEI referenced in terms of athletics I laugh. There was an awesome clip of Prime's intro meeting with the entire football operations staff at CU. He was going through asking what everyone did, and he got to the Director of DEI. He says "What's that mean?". She went on to explain that it's to make sure that minorities felt included. He smiled and said 75% of the roster is black. I get what you're doing, but I don't think inclusion is necessary. We'll change that up.

It's just comical that they're going to ask athletes with $10K articles of jewelry to protest something in the spirit of equity and inclusion. :ROFLMAO:

adcoop

Jul 3, 2023
....and those athletes will attend Florida universities anyway. The bulk of Florida Black residents will continue to attend Florida Universities. They can't afford not to. The rubber will meet the road if Black athletes take this issue seriously. Emmitt Smith sure seems to be. We will find out if de-funding a department that really doesn't help that many Black people anyway (tends to help more White females that anyone else) is so important that you want to cause disruption in your athletic programs.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022

adcoop

Jul 3, 2023
Why just student-athletes? Why not advise students to do the same if they feel so strong about anti-DEI policies. As far as I know, the anti-DEI policies aren't just limited to athletic departments so why halfazz it?
....because the thinking is most students and/or families can't afford to send their kids to out of state colleges and universities over a DEI boycott. The thinking is to cause disruption in athletic departments. Remember the threatened Missouri football boycott a few years ago when they wanted the President fired. Enough players threatened to boycott one game and the President was gone. Same thinking here. DEI programs in the large scheme of things are not that important. Is the eradication of them that important that you want our black athletes going to Big 10 schools and schools out west again. That's the thinking.

adcoop

Jul 3, 2023
Whenever I see DEI referenced in terms of athletics I laugh. There was an awesome clip of Prime's intro meeting with the entire football operations staff at CU. He was going through asking what everyone did, and he got to the Director of DEI. He says "What's that mean?". She went on to explain that it's to make sure that minorities felt included. He smiled and said 75% of the roster is black. I get what you're doing, but I don't think inclusion is necessary. We'll change that up.

It's just comical that they're going to ask athletes with $10K articles of jewelry to protest something in the spirit of equity and inclusion. :ROFLMAO:
You are not getting it. It's not about the inclusion of athletes. They are already included. In fact, most schools bend the rules to get them into schools. The issue is to protect the everyday Black student. That's where the inclusion comes in. The thinking is you can't have our athletes and then try to exclude the everyday Black student who many times is more qualified than the athletes that many schools bend over backwards to get them in.

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022

Yeah.

The ask is a publicity grab. And the impact will be negligible if existent at all.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Actually, if you researched your history on MLK, this is the very type of boycott that MLK would have been involved in.
MLK's dream was to live in a country where a person is not judged by the color of their skin (his words).

Whether you're in favor of DEI or not, it necessarily judges people by their skin color, which is obviously in direct opposition to MLK's dream.

adcoop

Jul 3, 2023
MLK's dream was to live in a country where a person is not judged by the color of their skin (his words).

Whether you're in favor of DEI or not, it necessarily judges people by their skin color, which is obviously in direct opposition to MLK's dream.
It doesn't judge skin color. You want to put a negative connotation on it. That's okay. You oppose it. I get it. However, it is to promote diversity. That's it. I really don't get the big issue. It's not some quota system. Being against the very notion of promoting diversity is kind of saying you want to exclude without coming right out and saying it.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
It doesn't judge skin color. You want to put a negative connotation on it. That's okay. You oppose it. I get it. However, it is to promote diversity. That's it. I really don't get the big issue. It's not some quota system. Being against the very notion of promoting diversity is kind of saying you want to exclude without coming right out and saying it.

If skin color is not a factor, why is the NAACP upset about Florida's rejection of DEI? You do know what the NAACP is and who they represent, right?

I have not come out pro- or anti-DEI. Merely pointing out the obvious. If your goal is increase diversity then you necessarily look at factors of diversity, of which skin color is one.

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022

I agree with ad here.

It says a lot about you, 18, that you don't want to teach racism to kids, and that you don't think it's okay to judge people on their skin color.

/s

adcoop

Jul 3, 2023
If skin color is not a factor, why is the NAACP upset about Florida's rejection of DEI? You do know what the NAACP is, right?
Yes. I actually was a President of a Chapter for years. Parents have been members during the height of the Civil Rights Era. So, I am going to know more than most in this space. So, misquoting a MLK line or two is not going to work well with me. Hear that type of stuff all the time. I got into a discussion with a poster on a separate diversity issue as it relates to our Women's Basketball team. The poster was mad at Dawn Staley for not recruiting White players. I had no problem in theory of his wish for diversity. However, my issue was you have got to have White players that are willing to come that can help us win at the same level. So, I didn't have any issue with his wish for Diversity in theory. My question was how do we make that happen while maintaining the same success. Under your line of thinking, promoting diversity is favoring one race over another. It's not. It's recognizing that different people bring different strengths to the table so it would seem to be a healthy thing to promote. It seems we want to demonize everything in this day and time though.

Last edited:

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
If skin color is not a factor, why is the NAACP upset about Florida's rejection of DEI? You do know what the NAACP is and who they represent, right?

I have not come out pro- or anti-DEI. Merely pointing out the obvious. If your goal is increase diversity then you necessarily look at factors of diversity, of which skin color is one.
National Association for the Advancement of Cqualified People, right?

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
You are not getting it. It's not about the inclusion of athletes. They are already included. In fact, most schools bend the rules to get them into schools. The issue is to protect the everyday Black student. That's where the inclusion comes in. The thinking is you can't have our athletes and then try to exclude the everyday Black student who many times is more qualified than the athletes that many schools bend over backwards to get them in.
I get it. Asking, bc I honestly don't know, in what ways are universities trying to exclude Black students? As a white man going through the process with my daughter, it seems quite the opposite. So I'm just wondering what I am missing. Also, at most major universities in FL the white student population is under 50%.

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
Yes. I actually was a President of a Chapter for years. Parents have been members during the height of the Civil Rights Era. So, I am going to know more than most in this space. So, quoting a misquoting a MLK line or two or not going to work well with me. Hear that type of stuff all the time. I got into a discussion with a poster on a separate diversity issue as it relates to our Women's Basketball team. The poster was mad at Dawn Staley for not recruiting White players. I had no problem in theory of his wish for diversity. However, my issue was you have got to have White players that are willing to come that can help us win at the same level. So, I didn't have any issue with his wish for Diversity in theory. My question was how do we make that happen while maintaining the same success. Under your line of thinking, promoting diversity is favoring one race over another. It's not. It's recognizing that different people bring different strengths to the table so it would seem to be a healthy thing to promote. It seems we want to demonize everything in this day and time though.
Would you be in favor of just eliminating the race question from college applications all together? I mean, if you got the grades you got the grades. It's an institution of higher learning. No different than a bball team. You can either play or you can't. If you can, you can be on the team. If you can't, find somewhere else where the standards are lower. Same with grades. Should race matter? If you're smart you're smart.

TheByrdman

Joined Jul 17, 2000
Jan 20, 2022
Actually, if you researched your history on MLK, this is the very type of boycott that MLK would have been involved in.
This protest is about making noise, not correcting a problem. MLK never did a protest without having addressed the problem and what the solution can be. The NAACP lost that vision back in the 1980's using bait and switch tactics.

adcoop

Jul 3, 2023
I get it. Asking, bc I honestly don't know, in what ways are universities trying to exclude Black students? As a white man going through the process with my daughter, it seems quite the opposite. So I'm just wondering what I am missing. Also, at most major universities in FL the white student population is under 50%.
At least you are engaging in discussion instead of just saying "Reverse Racism Yada Yada". Universities are not excluding. However, trying to eliminate programs like the Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion sure seems like a step in getting there. Black people don't need to wait until they are excluding against again to jump on these things. If you go back into history, Black people made advancements right after the Civil War too. Reconstruction Era. There was backlash and next thing you know we were living in Jim Crow. So, it's a measure where the NAACP is saying, "Wait a minute now, since when did Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion become bad words.

adcoop

Jul 3, 2023
Would you be in favor of just eliminating the race question from college applications all together? I mean, if you got the grades you got the grades. It's an institution of higher learning. No different than a bball team. You can either play or you can't. If you can, you can be on the team. If you can't, find somewhere else where the standards are lower. Same with grades. Should race matter? If you're smart you're smart.
Actually, the race question is eliminated from most application for enrollment in institutions and applications for employment. However, we have to tell the truth. Most White People don't communicate in Black circles and vice versa. So, we don't actually know who the qualified people are in many cases. For example, how many of you would have hired Lamont Paris? Probably very few of you. I can pull up some of the posts from just last year and many of you would be embarrassed at some of the things that were said. You had no knowledge of this man's training and background with Bo Ryan. He was just this Black guy with the thin resume from UT-Chattanooga that had the kids out there playing "Street Ball" (Some of your words, not mine). With all that being said, all DEI programs are supposed to do is act as a liason to promote applicants that were already qualified, but unrecognized. They are not there to just give the Black guy the job as some unfortunately tend to think.

Last edited:

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
At least you are engaging in discussion instead of just saying "Reverse Racism Yada Yada". Universities are not excluding. However, trying to eliminate programs like the Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion sure seems like a step in getting there. Black people don't need to wait until they are excluding against again to jump on these things. If you go back into history, Black people made advancements right after the Civil War too. Reconstruction Era. There was backlash and next thing you know we were living in Jim Crow. So, it's a measure where the NAACP is saying, "Wait a minute now, since when did Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion become bad words.
Yeah, I'd rather understand the other POV. However, these universities in FL seem to be diversifying just fine without it. The white population is 70% in the country, and in the major universities in FL the white population is either right at or even below 50%. I get the fear of someday being left behind, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
Most job applications and/or federal forms ask you to self-identify by race, gender, etc. for what reason? Companies have to prove they meet certain government guidelines/quotas. How does that help find the most qualified individual?
There have been numerous experiments where individuals have applied using different responses and gotten different results. May not be scientific but it does tell you something is not right.

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
Actually, the race question is eliminated from most application for enrollment in institutions and applications for employment.

I remember the recent Supreme Court case about how race wasn't on college applications. Oh, wait.

I've also had race asked on every professional application I've ever filled out for decades. But that's anecdotal.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Yes. I actually was a President of a Chapter for years. Parents have been members during the height of the Civil Rights Era. So, I am going to know more than most in this space. So, quoting a misquoting a MLK line or two or not going to work well with me. Hear that type of stuff all the time. I got into a discussion with a poster on a separate diversity issue as it relates to our Women's Basketball team. The poster was mad at Dawn Staley for not recruiting White players. I had no problem in theory of his wish for diversity. However, my issue was you have got to have White players that are willing to come that can help us win at the same level. So, I didn't have any issue with his wish for Diversity in theory. My question was how do we make that happen while maintaining the same success. Under your line of thinking, promoting diversity is favoring one race over another. It's not. It's recognizing that different people bring different strengths to the table so it would seem to be a healthy thing to promote. It seems we want to demonize everything in this day and time though.
Who is misquoting? It’s a direct and straight quote from him that he dreamed of a world where people are not judged by their skin color.

It’s a fairly simple quote, which requires a lot of verbal gymnastics to say it means other than what it clearly means.

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
Actually, the race question is eliminated from most application for enrollment in institutions and applications for employment. However, we have to tell the truth. Most White People don't communicate in Black circles and vice versa. So, we don't actually know who the qualified people are in many cases. For example, how many of you would have hired Lamont Paris? Probably very few of you. I can pull up some of the posts from just last year and many of you would be embarrassed at some of the things I said. You had no knowledge of this man's training and background with Bo Ryan. He was just this Black guy with the thin resume from UT-Chattanooga that had the kids out there playing "Street Ball" (Some of your words, not mine). With all that being said, all DEI programs are supposed to do is act as a liason to promote applicants that were already qualified, but unrecognized. They are not there to just give the Black guy the job as some unfortunately tend to think.
I don't understand your first point. You fill out an university application, include your transcript and SAT/ACT scores. They either make the mark or they don't, right?

If you're asking me about LP, I was a fan from the beginning. There were only a few of us, though. But I think you're stretching with the people not wanting him here b/c he's black. There were a lot of people on this board that wanted Boynton for HC, and even BJ McKie.

Reactions: will110

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
Who is misquoting? It’s a direct and straight quote from him that he dreamed of a world where people are not judged by their skin color.

It’s a fairly simple quote, which requires a lot of verbal gymnastics to say it means other than what it clearly means.

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

(My emphasis)

Reactions: Blues man

gamecockcleo

Sep 30, 2023
I can go along with that if everyone got the same opportunity and everyone gets treated fairly the same,but we would be lying to ourselves if we believed that is occurring in every situation. There is inequality on many levels in these matters to be honest.

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
But I think you're stretching with the people not wanting him here b/c he's black. There were a lot of people on this board that wanted Boynton for HC, and even BJ McKie.

Interesting how racism can be claimed for preferring one African American candidate over another.

vacock

Joined Oct 26, 1998 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 20, 2022
Adcoop, do you agree with the boycott of Florida? Thanks.