Never Forget.

Steve JG

All-Conference
Mar 25, 2024
1,090
1,852
113
heard about it in real time on this very message board. I have posted this before. But on that day I was working in psychiatric emergency service at Grady Hospital in downtown Atlanta. At one point I was standing in waiting room watching TV and first tower had already fallen. I was standing there with our nurse manager puzzling what are we actually watching when the second tower collapsed live. Announcers were confused, everyone was confused. I became aware of person standing next to me was a well know frequent flyer in PES, semi homeless guy with schizophrenia who was always dressed in blazer and tie, and he looks at me and nurse and says "don't mess with them muslims" and wanders off.........
 

Midnighter

Heisman
Jan 22, 2021
12,769
21,205
113
heard about it in real time on this very message board. I have posted this before. But on that day I was working in psychiatric emergency service at Grady Hospital in downtown Atlanta. At one point I was standing in waiting room watching TV and first tower had already fallen. I was standing there with our nurse manager puzzling what are we actually watching when the second tower collapsed live. Announcers were confused, everyone was confused. I became aware of person standing next to me was a well know frequent flyer in PES, semi homeless guy with schizophrenia who was always dressed in blazer and tie, and he looks at me and nurse and says "don't mess with them muslims" and wanders off.........

Was doing my daily rounds in Heidelberg, GE - going from kaserne to kaserne to pick up/drop off documents. Always listened to local German radio and heard the update in German when it happened. Immediately went back to the office and was on guard duty for the next 9 months.
 
  • Like
Reactions: razpsu

ApexLion

Heisman
Nov 1, 2021
6,463
10,960
113
The coverage by posters here on this board was phenomenal. We had pilots, ex FAA, New Yorkers, ex foreign service, lawyers, doctors, construction guys, you name it, commenting before the media had a clue. Solid info in real time.
 

Steve JG

All-Conference
Mar 25, 2024
1,090
1,852
113
The coverage by posters here on this board was phenomenal. We had pilots, ex FAA, New Yorkers, ex foreign service, lawyers, doctors, construction guys, you name it, commenting before the media had a clue. Solid info in real time.
My recollection was some one who worked in NYC actually saw it happen and posted something to that effect. But they thought was a small plane
 

ApexLion

Heisman
Nov 1, 2021
6,463
10,960
113
This board was on fire. I had it open for like 12 hours, following threads.

BTW, same thing for the capture of the Boston Marathon bombers. We had people on here (Shrink was one, RIP) reporting faster than the networks.

My recollection was some one who worked in NYC actually saw it happen and posted something to that effect. But they thought was a small plane
 
  • Like
Reactions: Psu00

LionJim

Heisman
Oct 12, 2021
16,577
22,771
113
This board was on fire. I had it open for like 12 hours, following threads.

BTW, same thing for the capture of the Boston Marathon bombers. We had people on here (Shrink was one, RIP) reporting faster than the networks.
RIP, @Shrink (RK). Such a lovely man.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Psu00

razpsu

Heisman
Jan 13, 2004
14,673
14,971
113
I was in New York City at the time it happened. There was no cell service to call out that day. At least for my cruddy cell phone. God forbid dial up networking worked on my computer which I don’t think I had time to do that day anyway.
 

johnmpsu

Senior
Nov 29, 2001
337
564
93
I was at my desk consulting for Lockheed when my office mate said have you seen what's going on. I hadn't. The Pentagon got hit and they sent everybody home. It was the only time I'd ever seen the Washington beltway practically empty. I later learned that a good friend of mines brother was at the pentagon and was helping to get people out of the building. A terrible day that we got to see real heroics from many.
 
  • Like
Reactions: LionJim
BWI

Latest

  1. 01 BWI Football Penn State postseason projections: Could Matt Campbell face his old team in a bowl game?
  2. 02 BWI Recruiting Penn State-USC visitor list reaches 80 prospects ahead of pivitol recruiting weekend
  3. 03 BWI Football What time will Penn State-Michigan start on Oct. 17? Here's what we know
  4. 04 BWI Football Rocco Becht has been here before. Now Penn State needs him to lead it out.
  5. 05 BWI Recruiting New name emerges at receiver ahead of Penn State White Out visit