One hundred and one years earlier, all but four students at Ole Miss dropped out of school to form Company A of the 11th Mississippi Infantry. The University Greys. On May 4, 1863, at Gettysburg, the unit rose from safety and made a futile rush toward Seminary Ridge. Everyone was killed or injured, and history named their suicide mission Pickett's Charge. The school's sports teams would be called Rebels to honor their sacrifice.
AzzurriDawg4 said:One hundred and one years earlier, all but four students at Ole Miss dropped out of school to form Company A of the 11th Mississippi Infantry. The University Greys. On May 4, 1863, at Gettysburg, the unit rose from safety and made a futile rush toward Seminary Ridge. Everyone was killed or injured, and history named their suicide mission Pickett's Charge. <span style="font-weight: bold;">The school's sports teams would be called Rebels to honor their sacrifice.</span>
I had no idea that A) that is where the rebels got their name or B) that Pickett's charge was a Mississippi unit. That is very interesting. Pickett's Charge always interested me and I am surprised I never picked up on that.
Rivals Football Recruiting
How Kamario Taylor's success is helping Mississippi State recruit top quarterbacks
Maroon and White Football
Jett Jefferson's early impact elevating Mississippi State secondary
Maroon and White Football
"I gotta give it all I got": Mississippi State WR Anthony Evans III on crucial 4th quarter catch
Maroon and White Football
Points of Focus from Mississippi State HC Jeff Lebby heading into Week 5
Rivals Football Recruiting
Wiltfong Whiparound: Mega prediction for Kentucky; Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi State all made big recruiting moves in week four