Nittany Beverage going out of business the end of this month.

Bison13

Oct 13, 2021
I never once saw more than a few of tents in Nittanyville this year for any home games to further the point.
More international and out-of-state kids here too, so I don’t think there’s quite the population of students who are the ones that grew up wanting to experience Penn State football.

Reactions: 81BandW

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
More international and out-of-state kids here too, so I don’t think there’s quite the population of students who are the ones that grew up wanting to experience Penn State football.

Well-heeled paying that high tuition. Tailgating and football are beneath them.

Reactions: Bison13 and dcf4psu

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
Being in the business, I'm sure that I would have heard of them closing, which I did not. It's rare that a master distributor is put up for sale. I would venture a guess that they are just closing the store part when they sell to the general public and will continue to sell and serve other distributors, bars, and c-stores.
Their Facebook page seems fairly active and there's no mention of closing.

dcf4psu

Oct 25, 2021
Their Facebook page seems fairly active and there's no mention of closing.
I noticed that also, but I read the big sign a couple of times to make sure I understood what it was saying. They gave three other local options for beer purchases at the bottom. I will check in January to maybe if they just stopped their retail operations and are still distributing to businesses.

Reactions: Bison13

AvgUser

Oct 7, 2021
I think it already has. The metamorphosis between now and half a century ago is incredible.

I was walking towards downtown past where the old Days Inn used to be (which is surreal in itself) about 10:00 PM the night of the Rutgers game and you could literally hear a pin drop. The bars were comparatively empty with hardly any lines at all.

Homecoming at our Fraternity House was like some small weekend get together in the middle of the old Summer Term. On Friday night, there might have been six or seven undergrad Brothers at the House, and most were all locked in some side room watching TV.

And the girls???? Where the crap have they all gone??? Most bars now are mostly filled with guys. And in the Fraternities, there’s hardly a girl to be found anymore. Remember things like jammies?? Wall to wall, shoulder to shoulder HOT HOT HOT girls. You could literally just walk in blind off the street, look for the hottest girl in the House not already attached to a guy, ask her to dance, and she was yours for the night.

Like David Lee Roth said. It was just the best freakin time to be alive. I’d hate to be an 18 to.22 year old college kid today. I’d probably still be single. 🙂
I was up there for Michigan and it was quite the opposite. I was there with my daughter on Friday night and the bars were packed. The lines were 60-90 minutes long. Fortunately she knew a bouncer at a bar and we were let right in.

Still in State Colllege

Oct 12, 2021
Being in the business, I'm sure that I would have heard of them closing, which I did not. It's rare that a master distributor is put up for sale. I would venture a guess that they are just closing the store part when they sell to the general public and will continue to sell and serve other distributors, bars, and c-stores.
It is funny because the opposite happened at Pletcher's. They closed the wholesale portion and are only doing retail now.

Psurosco

Oct 13, 2021
Their website says the are closing retail as of January 1st.

As of January 1, 2024, our retail store will be permanently closed and Nittany Beverage will be exclusively delivering our brands to your favorite beer retailers.​

Oct 12, 2021
You're right.

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
I imagine their location is bad for retail sales compared to downtown six pack shops. It makes sense that they'd close a money-losing retail location and focus on a highly-profitable wholesale business.
They only had a very small selection of six packs for retail. I ran in there last year during orientation for a 6 pack of seltzers for my wife and they had none. We ended up downtown at a bottle shop.

Reactions: WestSideLion

WestSideLion

Oct 6, 2021

Surprisingly, there is no online record of that jingle. I wonder if Nittany Beverage still has a digital recording of it. My brief stint in local radio taught me that these jingles were usually written by radio station employees and produced on the cheap...almost like ad agencies throwing in creative to sell media.

Reactions: Zenophile

Lion84

Oct 7, 2021
Wasn't it the deal back in the day that Nittany would carry Miller Products and Centre Beverage was Anheuser Busch stuff? My memory may be faulty since I killed a good number of brain cells over the years with their products.

Reactions: Anon1690805700

TheBigUglies

Oct 26, 2021
I am thinking beer drinking is down with a lot of people today because I see cans of seltzer in the tailgating lots every home game. Only us middle aged people drink real beer(not all the microbeer stuff when it comes to football) and ya know, we can't drink as much as we used to without getting bloated. :cool:

Reactions: Anon1690805700

Ghost of OM

Oct 30, 2021
Wasn't it the deal back in the day that Nittany would carry Miller Products and Centre Beverage was Anheuser Busch stuff? My memory may be faulty since I killed a good number of brain cells over the years with their products.
Nittany was the Miller master distributor. Hickey was (and still is) the AB master.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Actually, Rutgers was on the 18th. The last official day of classes. “Thanksgiving Break” didn’t officially start until the 19th which was Sunday.

But I get what you are saying about some kids going home early. That doesn’t explain Homecoming and all the rest of the games over the last few years. Especially since the Covid pandemic. The place has turned into a comparative ghost town on football weekends compared to what it used to be.
Campus started to empty out on Thursday before Thanksgiving break. The dorms were pretty much empty by Friday evening.