Not a good look for Mater Dei or Coach Rollinson

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017

He certainly doesn't come across as sympathetic in any way.

qqqqqqqman

Aug 24, 2017
Wow…..I’m not naive to boys/team games and initiations, but this is just sick. What a stupid thing to condone or turn a blind eye to. You can die with a hard blow to the chest. Player 2 obviously took it even beyond dangerous…..azzhat move to take it to the face.

Guess the ritual doesn’t surprise me….MD sports probably believes it’s untouchable. Dayyum, Rollie….lying about it, too?

Mr.roltrojan

Aug 7, 2018
Yes it looks bad especially because of social media and news outlets but things like this have been happening. Let’s not act naive or ignorant like hazing rituals don’t exist in college or HS. Coach Rollinson is a great coach and produced great young men and a excellent hs football program. Can’t just put all the blame on him

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
Time for Rollo to move on. Having said that, this kind of stuff goes on at a lot of places. I heard stuff that went on at USC mid 2000’s that made me sick. Initiation kind of stuff during fall camp. I know it got really bad for the 2007 class, and those guys made a pact that it would end with them, and I think for the most part it did.

Abre_ham

Sep 2, 2021
People have been going bodies since the dawn of time. I can remember being 5 the first time I did it. Traumatic brain injury? That wasn’t bodies that was a straight up fight and someone should definitely pay the price for the outcome of it

Claypudding.

Nov 13, 2018
Yes it looks bad especially because of social media and news outlets but things like this have been happening. Let’s not act naive or ignorant like hazing rituals don’t exist in college or HS. Coach Rollinson is a great coach and produced great young men and a excellent hs football program. Can’t just put all the blame on him
Just because things exist doesn't mean they lose significance. What a terrible point of view you have. Rollinson is responsible for creating a culture where that crap is ok.

Jay4usc

Jan 10, 2018

Good bye Bruce. Looks like Servite will be the next powerhouse

Reactions: TrojanFireHorse12

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
Time for Rollo to move on. Having said that, this kind of stuff goes on at a lot of places. I heard stuff that went on at USC mid 2000’s that made me sick. Initiation kind of stuff during fall camp. I know it got really bad for the 2007 class, and those guys made a pact that it would end with them, and I think for the most part it did.
Yep. I heard some stories that were very disturbing, freakish level, about what went on in the locker room.

• Wow
Reactions: Tamatoa916

Fyton82

Sep 6, 2017
Then who in the F do you put it on? This is his program, his culture.

GoSC27!

Sep 30, 2017
And here is the lawsuit!

The injured player's family filed a lawsuit against the school alleging negligence, negligence per se-hazing in violation of the California penal code, negligent failure to warn, train or educate, and intentional infliction of emotional distress, per Reid.

According to the court filing, Mater Dei trainer Kevin Anderson delayed treatment of the injuries after the fight and even told administrators to hold off on contacting the injured player's parents. The parents were not contacted for 90 minutes after the fight.

"Anderson knew how badly [Player 1's] injuries looked and that he was clearly involved in a violent altercation," the court filing said. "Thus, in an effort to shield its No. 1 ranked football team from scrutiny, efforts were made to downplay and/or cover up the latest incident caused by the athletic department's toxic culture."

Mater Dei dean of students Tim O'Hara eventually contacted the injured player's father and said his son was suspended. According to a physician's note, the player was physically unable to attend school at the time.
The lawsuit attempts to highlight problems with the culture at the school, especially when it comes to protecting the dominant football program's image.
The police report said other players told the injured student not to "snitch" on them. Head football coach Bruce Rollinson and athletic director Kevin Kiernan initially refused to cooperate with the Santa Ana Police Department but eventually only did so two months later.
Rollinson denied even knowing about Bodies and other hazing rituals at the school, although the court filing said he previously told the injured player's father, "If I had a hundred dollars for every time these kids played Bodies or Slappies, I'd be a millionaire."
The suit also states that the coach told the injured player's father he was in a "bind" because the other player who participated in the ritual was the son of one of the volunteer coaches. The police report also said video of the incident was given to linebackers coach Pat Dunbar in February, months before Rollinson was interviewed.
Per Reid, the other player's father told police in February that the issue "had already been handled by the school." His son refused to be interviewed by the police, citing his Fifth and Sixth Amendment rights.
"This incident [shows] that Mater Dei is more concerned about protecting its brand as the top-ranked football program in the country than protecting its students," attorney Brian L. Williams said.
Reid noted Mater Dei has also faced multiple civil lawsuits from former students who said they were sexually abused by school employees.
"Mater Dei has a culture of lies and secrecy and this case is right out of their playbook," the player's attorney Michael Reck said. "They've covered up sexual abuse, they've covered up violence and now they're covering up hazing to protect the glory of the football team."

Several are going to get fired for this as there definitely were attempts to cover this up! Not a good thing for Mater Dei!
Fight On!

Peete2Affholter

Aug 24, 2017
Pretty sure this sort of thing is relatively commonplace, but when you're the #1 HS program in the country, you're going to have a lot of scrutiny on you.

I guess I could wax philosophical on the culture of violence in a violent sport and how stuff like this is, for better or worse, what breeds toughness in players in a sport where toughness is an unquestioned virtue - but I'll just say I'm glad my kids play sports where brain damage isn't the usual outcome to joining a team.

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
Very disappointing for C.Rollinson & Mater Dei FB program. Another Board M. posted, wrote that this kind of stuff, hazing happens at many HS & colleges. These type of FB ritual has to stop! Making things more ugly, are the cover up and lax answers & attitude by Mater Dei. Heck, I bet this kind of stuff did not happened at De La Salle when C.Ladouceur coached there...

Dam, it's such distracting news & bad timing with the SS CIF Championship game vs. Servite on Friday. Hope the players won't let this bad news affect their play...

Last edited:

Renegade

Sep 1, 2021

Typical response by the Catholic school. Obstruct justice, blame the victim and no accountability for the adults in charge.

IndyNDBJJ

Nov 4, 2021
People saying this is common & has gone on forever & not a big deal are beyond stupid.
It’s not just what happens, it’s lying about it, not informing the parents, not giving proper & timely medical treatment & covering it up while withholding information from the police investigation.

Last edited:

TrojanMoniker

Aug 29, 2017
I guess I can understand trading a few hits to the body as some kind of tribal initiation ****, but this guy went criminally way too far and a ton of adults covered it up. Disgusting.

I hope this **** isn't required to get your program to the top. And I hope that kid recovers physically and mentally. Poor guy just trying to join the club and he gets slaughtered while a bunch of ******** cheer it on 😔

Tamatoa916

Aug 24, 2017
People saying this is common & has gone on forever & not a big deal are beyond stupid.
It’s not just what happens, it’s lying about it, not informing the parents, not giving proper & timely medical treatment & covering it up while withholding information from the police investigation.
Never played bodies, EVER. The rights of passage on a football team which I learned from men of men: bull in the ring; angle tackling; one on one blocking; two on one; two on two with ball carrier; two a day summer conditioning. That is how team work and toughness are developed. This fkry of bodies to prove you are tough or worthy of being on a football team is BS. I’ve coached as well and HELL to the NO would I or any of the other men coaching either teach or condone or tolerate any sort of BS like that.

Last edited:

Socrates

Aug 29, 2021
The first thought I had was the player that injured the smaller player is on steroids.
Roid Rage?

HectorSpectre

Nov 18, 2017
Never played bodies, EVER. The rights of passage on a football team which I learned from men of men: bull in the ring; angle tackling; one on one blocking; two on one; two on two with ball carrier; two a day summer conditioning. That is how team work and toughness are developed. This fkry of bodies to prove you are tough or worthy of being on a football team is BS. I’ve coached as well and HELL to the NO would I or any of the other men coaching either teach or condone or tolerate any sort of BS like that.

People trying to justify this ish need a head check. WTF?

These are just kids. Contain your hazing to unharmful things, like short haircuts or wearing frilly pink shirts to school.

There is no excuse for this crap.

Rolo gonna got out like Woody Hayes: a lifetime of outstanding coaching and all the hardware imaginable, all discounted to nada in a flash.

Doctor Who Reaction GIF

SCnAZ

Aug 24, 2017
You wonder how long this is been going on. Testament to the kids for not sa anything before now. Time for retirement

• Wow
Reactions: Tamatoa916

4heisman

Aug 24, 2017
Tone def response from Rolo, but I get where he's coming from. I grew up "playing" bodies/body-shots/body, and never got seriously hurt. It's like rough housing...but with your fists.😅 There's rules, at least one ref, and you'd usually dap up your oppenent after it was done (no bad blood).

The article makes it sound like Rolo was hosting fight club. Lol As for the small kid's injuries, that ain't "bodies". At best it maybe started as that, but turned into an actual beating. The "ref" should've jumped in to stop the game when a body blow goes too high or low. This game happens every day at most High Schools (and probably middle schools) in america. This is the first time I've heard someone getting a brain injury over a game of bodies.

This aint hazing or a ritual. Just rough housing that got out of hand.

Tamatoa916

Aug 24, 2017
Tone def response from Rolo, but I get where he's coming from. I grew up "playing" bodies/body-shots/body, and never got seriously hurt. It's like rough housing...but with your fists.😅 There's rules, at least one ref, and you'd usually dap up your oppenent after it was done (no bad blood).

The article makes it sound like Rolo was hosting fight club. Lol As for the small kid's injuries, that ain't "bodies". At best it maybe started as that, but turned into an actual beating. The "ref" should've jumped in to stop the game when a body blow goes too high or low. This game happens every day at most High Schools (and probably middle schools) in america. This is the first time I've heard someone getting a brain injury over a game of bodies.

Are you confusing bullying with football hazing? Cause bodies doesn’t happen on practically all football teams…bullying I would say yeah there are A$$holes like that literally every highschool.

Fyton82

Sep 6, 2017

BS. It was the definition of hazing. The second Rollo or any other f-ing adult got wind this insanity was taking place, it should have been squashed in a second. These m-fers have known about this for decades and buried it. I hope it comes back to bite every single one of them.

4heisman

Aug 24, 2017
The majority y'all are out of your element.

From the article.

“Hey, chill, chill, chill,” a teammate is heard in the background.

“What the (expletive),” Player 1 shouted at Player 2. “I thought this was Bodies.”

Injured kid wasn't upset until he was hit in his face, because that's not part of the rules of the game that he willingly participated in. This isn't a ritual or hazing. It's a schoolboys game. The bigger kid took it too far and should've been punished.

The article tries to make this look like fight club or some forced ritual and that's a complete reach. The only evidence we have is what happened on the video. Everything else is speculation at best or a hit piece at worst. Rolo handled it the wrong way, but I see why he did. Once again this "game" is in all highschools. This is not unique to Mater Dei.