Now this is an epic texting blunder (by Bill Belichick)

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
We've all probably done it...sent an errant text of one form or another. Sometimes it's a benign text just sent to the wrong person. Sometimes it's much more embarrassing. Bill Belichick just experienced the latter.

Belichick texted Brian Flores to congratulate him for landing the NYG head coaching job. Flores responded confused as he was not scheduled to interview for the job for 2 more days. Belichick responded, embarrassed, and said he mean to text Brian Daboll who was going to get the job. Flores then had to travel to NY and sit through an interview process for a job for which he knew he'd already been passed over.

Just painful and awkward all around.

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
It sucks, but I and others have been in that position before. I treated the interview as a practice run.

Reactions: Luckycock

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
It sucks, but I and others have been in that position before. I treated the interview as a practice run.

Of course I don't know so I don't know your race. Are you saying that you have been given interviews for jobs specifically b/c of your race but that you were not actually a candidate for the job and you knew all of that going into the interview?

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
Of course I don't know so I don't know your race. Are you saying that you have been given interviews for jobs specifically b/c of your race but that you were not actually a candidate for the job and you knew all of that going into the interview?

I knew that someone else was selected for the job before I interviewed, but went through the interview process anyway.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I knew that someone else was selected for the job before I interviewed, but went through the interview process anyway.
Were you given the interview specifically b/c of your race?

Of course, Flores is going to have a hard time proving that's the case, but it seems fairly obvious.

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
Were you given the interview specifically b/c of your race?

Of course, Flores is going to have a hard time proving that's the case, but it seems fairly obvious.

I honestly don't think race was an issue, but as you said, it'd be hard to prove.

I guess there's two issues here. One, he went into an interview knowing someone else was already chosen (like me). And two, he got the interview because of his race (not like me).

One aspect of this is common, one is weird because of the Rooney rule.

I will add that I was automatically turned off to this guy's story when I got to the John Elway part. The "he was an hour late and obviously hung over" was refuted rather strongly by multiple people in Denver. Then again, they may be covering for an alcoholic John Elway.

Reactions: York cock

92Pony

Joined Jan 18, 2011
Jan 20, 2022
I've seen it numerous times where I work. I've never seen race have anything to do with it (note: I don't work in the NFL). Its a case of someone is pretty much hand-picked for the job, but at least 3 candidates must be interviewed in order to fill the position.
I always feel slimy sitting in on the interviews with the two other folks who have no clue that they don't stand a chance of landing the job. :(

henders90

Joined Nov 4, 2015
Jan 17, 2022
We've all probably done it...sent an errant text of one form or another. Sometimes it's a benign text just sent to the wrong person. Sometimes it's much more embarrassing. Bill Belichick just experienced the latter.

Belichick texted Brian Flores to congratulate him for landing the NYG head coaching job. Flores responded confused as he was not scheduled to interview for the job for 2 more days. Belichick responded, embarrassed, and said he mean to text Brian Daboll who was going to get the job. Flores then had to travel to NY and sit through an interview process for a job for which he knew he'd already been passed over.

once I sent a multi-paragraph write-up I did on European soccer future odds to one of my good friend's dad and meant to send it to him. Think he replied something along the lines i have no idea what you are talking about.

• Haha
Reactions: 18IsTheMan

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
This has the potential to blow up into something huge, particularly after the league came down hard (through the Raiders) on Gruden.

Or, the NYG will just lie and say Belichick was misinformed and had no knowledge of their hiring process and that the position was still open when Flores was interviewed.

If they get into issuing subpoenas for electronic communications, though, it can probably be shown to be true that Daboll had been hired and Flores was not in consideration. Personally, I hope it blows up spectacularly for the NFL.

Reactions: Maxcy

Superstar90

Jan 26, 2022
I'm a dolphins fan, we suck in the management department. Ha. Now my complaint in general is this; population is what
80% white
13% African American
7% everything else
So there should be roughly 80% white and 20% minority during these interviews.
Why does it even matter if a coach is black or white? I don't see it as a racist system, I see a system that the law of probability works out. Nothing more or less. Now because of this Rooney rule, you are making organizations do this type practice to make everyone happy.

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
This is developing into one of the biggest messes in the modern history of the NFL. It's a fiasco.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022

lol, look at that 2 hour gap after Flores asks Belichick if he was texting the right guy.

I can't even imagine the level of damage control that's going on right now.

Last edited:

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022

lol, look at that 2 hour gap after Flores asks Belichick if he was texting the right guy.

I can't even imagine the level of damage control that's going on right now.

I don't see how any amount of damage control can resolve this.

Jan 21, 2022

Blaming others for his failure of being an head coach in the NFL... Evening has at one time or another interviewed for a job that the person interview already have someone in mind and just wanted to have a backup just in case the person turns down the job.

On another note, don't have sex... Period...

bayrooster

Jan 21, 2022
Blaming others for his failure of being an head coach in the NFL... Evening has at one time or another interviewed for a job that the person interview already have someone in mind and just wanted to have a backup just in case the person turns down the job.

On another note, don't have sex... Period...

Red flags should go up if the dude has a computer setup in the bedroom.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I don't see how any amount of damage control can resolve this.

They'll gloss over it. The NYG will simply deny that the position was filled prior to Flores interviewing and they'll disavow anyone who can be shown to have informed Belichick that Daboll was already hired. The league will state that, while an unfortunate situation, it appears to simply be a breakdown in communication and they are working with all the teams to ensure stronger, more reliable communication in the future to prevent such circumstances. And they'll reaffirm their commitment to diversity.

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
They'll gloss over it. The NYG will simply deny that the position was filled prior to Flores interviewing and they'll disavow anyone who can be shown to have informed Belichick that Daboll was already hired. The league will state that, while an unfortunate situation, it appears to simply be a breakdown in communication and they are working with all the teams to ensure stronger, more reliable communication in the future to prevent such circumstances. And they'll reaffirm their commitment to diversity.
There's a lawsuit going here. It ain't gonna be as simple as that. Lot of discovery going on.

ToddFlanders

Jan 20, 2022
I sure hope you're right. I would love nothing more than to see the NFL suffer.

The NFL is just a business entity - it can’t suffer. Are you talking about wanting the thousands of people employed by the NFL and its teams to suffer? That’s a weird thing to wish upon so many people.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
The NFL is just a business entity - it can’t suffer. Are you talking about wanting the thousands of people employed by the NFL and its teams to suffer? That’s a weird thing to wish upon so many people.

It absolutely can suffer as a business entity. Major PR disaster brewing.

Last edited:

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
I really don't care one way or the other. But this is a very aggravated case. I don't think it will simply evaporate. The NFL will come out just fine in the end because it holds a monopoly on something a lot of people want. This is, first and foremost, a perception problem - a particular kind of perception problem.

Reactions: atl-cock

ToddFlanders

Jan 20, 2022
I really don't care one way or the other. But this is a very aggravated case. I don't think it will simply evaporate. The NFL will come out just fine in the end because it holds a monopoly on something a lot of people want. This is, first and foremost, a perception problem - a particular kind of perception problem.

I definitely think some heads will roll. And maybe there will be some real change related to hiring that comes from this. But really, what's going to happen? They'll make things right with Flores, makes some changes, put a whole PR spin on things (with the support of minority coaches), and the NFL will remain America's sport. Even with all the people that said they'd never watch again, ratings are sky high and moving up. It's an incredible league that finally has about 1/3 of the teams with QB's that could lead them to the Super Bowl. The NFL is entering a golden era if these guys stay healthy.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
Similar analogy to servants working for millionaires during the depression of the 1930s.

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
I definitely think some heads will roll. And maybe there will be some real change related to hiring that comes from this. But really, what's going to happen? They'll make things right with Flores, makes some changes, put a whole PR spin on things (with the support of minority coaches), and the NFL will remain America's sport. Even with all the people that said they'd never watch again, ratings are sky high and moving up. It's an incredible league that finally has about 1/3 of the teams with QB's that could lead them to the Super Bowl. The NFL is entering a golden era if these guys stay healthy.
I believe what's going to happen going forward is that, when they interview a guy, it's more likely they will interview him in good faith. To me, that's the only germane issue here.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I believe what's going to happen going forward is that, when they interview a guy, it's more likely they will interview him in good faith. To me, that's the only germane issue here.

Is that enforceable?

ToddFlanders

Jan 20, 2022

I don’t think this will truly be possible - everyone has a wish list when they have a job opening.

But I also think the Rooney rule is working even though many interviews are to just check off a box. In the past, teams would just ignore minority candidates altogether. Now guys are getting interviewed and discussed as candidates - which gets them in the pool that people consider (sometimes being mentioned is all that it takes to get someone noticed as a real candidate). I remember when Singletary interviewed with the Cowboys. It leaked that he had an amazing interview and blew everyone away. He didn’t get that job, but I think it was only a year later that he got the 49ers head job.

But how can you tell someone not to like the guy they like just because there’s a process?

Reactions: York cock

Neanderthal

Jan 25, 2022
So if they want balance in coaching and in team management, 80-20 as has been mentioned, will those numbers/ratio extend to players on the field? No. The owners want to win, at least most of them, and they will put whoever they think they can get them to their goal, whether it be on the staff, in management, or on the field. The ones that just want to make money, if they can do it without winning, will always go cheap.

Reactions: York cock and Maxcy

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
I don’t think this will truly be possible - everyone has a wish list when they have a job opening.

But I also think the Rooney rule is working even though many interviews are to just check off a box. In the past, teams would just ignore minority candidates altogether. Now guys are getting interviewed and discussed as candidates - which gets them in the pool that people consider (sometimes being mentioned is all that it takes to get someone noticed as a real candidate). I remember when Singletary interviewed with the Cowboys. It leaked that he had an amazing interview and blew everyone away. He didn’t get that job, but I think it was only a year later that he got the 49ers head job.

But how can you tell someone not to like the guy they like just because there’s a process?
I think the league could mandate two things for NFL teams - on pain of about a million dollar fine (or more) for not doing them. (1) Document every conversation - in whatever form - between a team and any coach of coach's agent pertaining to a job opening. (2) Utilize a third party to audit any conversation between a team and any coach or representative regarding prospective employment. Of course, people are going to have their preferences, and rightly so, but let's make the process uniform for everybody. It would allay some suspicions.

Reactions: ToddFlanders

paladin181

Joined Aug 28, 2014 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 17, 2022
As a hiring manager, I have picked my candidate before all my interviews were done. I still conducted the remaining interviews because you never know. But I've actually called my choice back before we finished interviewing too. Because again, you don't know. I've had guys back out on me after getting hired, and it's easier to take the next man up when they interviewed a few days before.

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
As a hiring manager, I have picked my candidate before all my interviews were done. I still conducted the remaining interviews because you never know. But I've actually called my choice back before we finished interviewing too. Because again, you don't know. I've had guys back out on me after getting hired, and it's easier to take the next man up when they interviewed a few days before.
And I'm certain you do an excellent job and feel pretty comfortable with whatever scrutiny you are under. These boys have now intensified the scrutiny they are under, which was already considerable.

Prestonite

Feb 1, 2022

He could have texted, "Oops, What I meant was, don't bother going to NY cause you are not getting the job" It would have saved Flores the trip and NY would not have gotten their "minority interview". Would have been doing him a favor and somewhat cleaned up the mess.

York cock

Jan 21, 2022
He could have texted, "Oops, What I meant was, don't bother going to NY cause you are not getting the job" It would have saved Flores the trip and NY would not have gotten their "minority interview". Would have been doing him a favor and somewhat cleaned up the mess.
Nobody knows how all of this truly went down.