When was the last time a player was academically ineligible ?? Is that even a thing anymore ??
probably not more than half doesn't even finish schoolWhen was the last time a player was academically ineligible ?? Is that even a thing anymore ??
Harsh but true.Imagine the reaction of boosters if they learned that the kid they'd just paid millions in NIL money isn't allowed to play because he flunked a Geology test?
I suspect it's damn near impossible to become academically ineligible now. The financial stakes are just too high and the system has become too corrupted. And there's just so many ways (online courses, shady tutors, bogus classes, etc.) to keep nearly anybody eligible. And the NCAA no longer seems to care about that stuff either.
I'm now in favor of just ending the requirement that players be students altogether. Let's just officially end the phony charade and admit what this really is ...pro sports.
Colleges won't give up the illusion of the student athlete.Imagine the reaction of boosters if they learned that the kid they'd just paid millions in NIL money isn't allowed to play because he flunked a Geology test?
I suspect it's damn near impossible to become academically ineligible now. The financial stakes are just too high and the system has become too corrupted. And there's just so many ways (online courses, shady tutors, bogus classes, etc.) to keep nearly anybody eligible. And the NCAA no longer seems to care about that stuff either.
I'm now in favor of just ending the requirement that players be students altogether. Let's just officially end the phony charade and admit what this really is ...pro sports.
For the big time sports and programs, yes I agree. But there are over 500,000 athletes in the NCAA. A large majority of them don't play basketball or football at major universities, and are true student-athletes.The term "student athlete" is purely a myth now.
For the big time sports and programs, yes I agree. But there are over 500,000 athletes in the NCAA. A large majority of them don't play basketball or football at major universities, and are true student-athletes.
Colleges won't give up the illusion of the student athlete.
That's part of the mystique.
It helps sell the sport.
KSR Basketball
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist shares heartwarming 2026 UK Hall of Fame speech: 'I tried my hardest, but now look at me.'
KSR Football
Kentucky vs. South Carolina Availability Report: UK May Miss DJ Miller
KSR Football
Kenny Minchey has pundits split after four games
KSR Football
4 Things You Need to Know from the Will Stein Show
KSR Volleyball
Morgan Gaerte listed as 'day-to-day' ahead of important stretch for Kentucky VB